Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

There's some new pics of Deluxe War for Cybertron Prime floating around. I kinda wish they'd gone with a Voyager instead, since he's about as tall as Titanium WW Prime as a Deluxe, and he's got some back kibble. But he looks decently poseable (are those ball-jointed ankles I see?), and the head sculpt is one of the better I've seen for a Prime lately. I don't think I've been this excited for a new Prime figure since I bought Classics Voyager Prime.

Guest sh002

i made a big list of g1 and g1 reissues i'm selling. check out the for sale list if you're looking for anything. thanks.

LOL! We're all still scarred by that. To make matters worse, it looks like they put Hot Rod in his wrist communicator.

Wasn't that same Hot Rod sticker on MP Nemesis Prime's wrist communicator?

I searched, but couldn't find whether or not you guys had discussed this guy.

POWERED COMMANDER!

I just got this last week, and I have to say, this is such a fantastic toy, from design to execution. I had fiddled around with the "City Commander" incarnation previously, but I was always much more of a fan of the Powered Convoy colours, so much so that I went out and bought a really expensive "Diaclone colour" edition of the original Magnus mold (reissue) a few years back.

Fansproject really outdid themselves. I can't get enough of this toy, I think it's great how many display options you can have for this thing. EVERYTHING transforms. And they even brought out a nifty laser rifle for him recently, I heard.

Excellent. And I'm not even that big into TFs.

post-1318-1272461899_thumb.jpg

I posted this over on another site. BBTS will have these on their main page tonight, about midnight. In case you don't want to wait ....

Some new pre-orders...

Thanks for that :D

Does anybody know whether Hasbro plans to bring out MORE Combiners like the new Arialbots and Combaticons - and also have them be in the G1 vein...like will we get Protectobots, Monstercons (a BIG dream)...etc?

The Combiners remind me a little bit of the Multiforce combiners from Transformers Victory- they really have a BIG appeal to me precisely because they are cheap and look like crap rather than trying to look fancy.

In fact - I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing for 2010. Enough so that I'm thinking of getting the Generations, the Combiners --- and even the Powercore Combiners - not just because of Huffer... but...

Because ALL of them have a really nice vibe to them. Animated designs were just too kiddy, but I'm also not really into the "realistic" movie designs - mainly because the realism is "moulded on" ... I dunno if that makes sense.. but it's kind of like...for instance - Bumblebee's crotch... the license plate - that's great.... but the transformation doesn't do that...so they just mold the license plate onto his toy crotch even though in the toy it ends up on his legs... well...then why the design... it's dissapointing...

Um...anyways...liking Hubcap...

Any pictures of Megatron from Generations?

Pete

but I'm also not really into the "realistic" movie designs - mainly because the realism is "moulded on" ... I dunno if that makes sense.. but it's kind of like...for instance - Bumblebee's crotch... the license plate - that's great.... but the transformation doesn't do that...so they just mold the license plate onto his toy crotch even though in the toy it ends up on his legs... well...then why the design... it's dissapointing...

Yeah, that's a copout, IMO. Up there with part-swapping.

Of course, the movie designs were done backwards. They're making toys from the animation instead of animation from the toys. That causes no end of trouble, and I respect that htey can make them work at all... except Arcee and company. There's nothing to respect there.

The only movie-line toys I've really liked are ones that didn't appear in the movies. Including the first live-action movie Arcee toy. and why movie 2's Arcee isn't based on that design is anyone's guess.

Not only do they have no bot modes, but their limb modes suck. You'd think that being freed from having to have robot parts would make for some pretty good limbs--but nope, they were completely hampered by having to auto-morph.

I mean, if we got FEET and HANDS, and the gestalt was friggin awesome---then I might accept botless limb components. (heck, canonically, that's how Piranacon is in Japan). But no, we get sucky gestalts with quasi-claws and "a tank standing on end" for a foot...

Seriously, if they took out the auto-morph gimmick, gave us a scout pricepoint for the limbs, and THEN said "limb mode only"----then we could have had a really awesome gestalt. But being TINY, with 100% auto-morph transformations just ruined them.

When you think about the fact that, almost 2 decades ago, Takara managed to produce Multiforce.... not to mention the Micromaster combiners....

You know what the problem is? It's this damn "make them look alien" BS. It's totally DESTROYED the aesthetic of Transformers. "Feet" and "hands" are anthropomorphic. Aliens have "tenticles" and "claws."

Of course -what is neatly ignored is the fact that in the quest to make Transformers "look alien" - the designers are using a grossly stereotypical HUMAN reference point for what ALIEN is.

I mean - notice how wonderfully Alien Yuki Nagato is from Haruhi Suzumiya - that's a very interesting take on being alien IMO.

But in TFs - they're ironically trading one anthropomorphism (humanoid traits) for another (human stereotypes about bug eyed aliens with claws and tenticals).

What this really translates into is letting the design team do a half assed job with these figures...

I know, I know - they're not movie figures per se .... but still .... the influence - at least on the getsalt limbs - is there....

Pity...

Pete

I really think you guys are looking at Transformers from your comparatively niche Macross/"Japanese obscure robot costing hundreds of dollars" collector perspective, which is probably why you guys appear to be flabbergasted when Transformers fans of the rough same age groups as you are seem impressed or excited about some toy that seems too gimmicky, kiddy or otherwise uninteresting to you. Power Core Combiners will probably go down really well with kids.

Also, LOL, you basically said "Ruined FOREVER".

When you think about the fact that, almost 2 decades ago, Takara managed to produce Multiforce.... not to mention the Micromaster combiners....
Except they sucked, and Multiforce inspired the terrible Autobot combiner gimmick for Energon. The Micromaster combiner teams didn't combine - they were attached to a huge chunk of immobile robot torso shell.

So yes, almost 2 decades ago, Takara managed to produced not very good toys.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Except they sucked, and Multiforce inspired the terrible Autobot combiner gimmick for Energon. The Micromaster combiner teams didn't combine - they were attached to a huge chunk of immobile robot torso shell.

So yes, almost 2 decades ago, Takara managed to produced not very good toys.

The "huge chunk of immobile robot torso shell" was not a "huge chunk of immobile robot torso shell."

The Torsos on the Micromaster combiners transformed into flight-pads/attack crafts that the Micromasters could pilot.

As for Multiforce inspiring the Combiner gimmick... well...yes and no. Remember that there were also Micromaster Combiners prior to Multiforce - vehicles that would split in two and turn into robots. And then the vehicles halves could be inter-connected.

Energon toys worked just the opposite way - namely only the robot halves could be inter-connected.

At to that the fact that while the "connecting" gimmick worked well for something as small as a Micromaster.... it wasn't particularly good looking on a deluxe....

Anyways - the point is that you'd think that over the course of 20 years, technology would allow for some advances in Combiner design.

Instead, we're seeing Combiners where the individual limbs don't even transform AND there are no fists/feet to speak of.

That is a step backwards.

Pete

I hereby dub them: "Power Snore Combiners". Yes, yes, I know, very clever. :p

I'm still in touch enough with my 10-year-old self to know that if I would have been given Transformers that didn't turn into robots they would have gotten thrown in the bin and never touched again.

My adult self doesn't feel any outrage towards them, or really any emotion other than disinterest.

I'm still in touch enough with my 10-year-old self to know that if I would have been given Transformers that didn't turn into robots they would have gotten thrown in the bin and never touched again.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.... But I have to ask...did you throw your Action Masters away? :)

Personally, I only ever bought one - Circuit. And he had that Powersuit thing which Transformed into body armor... After reading Furman's take on Action Masters, I kind of warmed to them...although...no much.... The concept - to this day - is utterly bizarre....

Also - what about PVCs? Particularly the MEGA PVCs. I liked those, even though they didn't transform - kind of like some Revoltech real/super robots are cool despite not transforming...

Pete

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.... But I have to ask...did you throw your Action Masters away? :)

Personally, I only ever bought one - Circuit. And he had that Powersuit thing which Transformed into body armor... After reading Furman's take on Action Masters, I kind of warmed to them...although...no much.... The concept - to this day - is utterly bizarre....

Also - what about PVCs? Particularly the MEGA PVCs. I liked those, even though they didn't transform - kind of like some Revoltech real/super robots are cool despite not transforming...

Pete

I never asked for Action Masters when I was a kid - didn't want any. The only one I've ever handled was the one that came with New Years reissue G1 Prime. I think I had him out of the box for 5 seconds before basically forgetting about him.

The only non-transforming TF I had as a kid was a little rubber Ratchet that came as a bonus with one of my regular TFs. I remember trying to use it as an eraser and then tossing it into the bin.

As for the PVCs and Revoltechs, nope and nope. Same goes for busts and statues. Non-transforming Transformers (or Macross, Dorvack, whatever) hold no interest for me. I'm glad they're available for people who like them, but they simply aren't my cup o' tea.

::EDIT::

Which isn't to say I don't like non-transforming robots. I love me some super robots. Tetsujin 28, Iron Giant, Mazinger, Bender, they're some of my favorites. It's just toys of robots that are supposed to transform but don't transform that I have an aversion to. No real logic behind it, just a wire in my brain that was never connected properly or something. :)

Edited by eriku

I really think you guys are looking at Transformers from your comparatively niche Macross/"Japanese obscure robot costing hundreds of dollars" collector perspective, which is probably why you guys appear to be flabbergasted when Transformers fans of the rough same age groups as you are seem impressed or excited about some toy that seems too gimmicky, kiddy or otherwise uninteresting to you.

As someone that finds "leader-class" Transformers a difficult expense to justify, and has only ONE import collector's toy... I think you're probably wrong.

But then, I'm the Transformers fan that still can't bring himself to actually LIKE Beast Wars. I can RESPECT it, but I actively dislike the robot designs.

It's a purely aesthetic call, but it's my call to make.

Power Core Combiners will probably go down really well with kids.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I know when I was a kid, MORE transformation was the big thing, not LESS.

Cars, trucks, and planes that turned into robots and then combined to form bigger robots wasn't enough, so they made their GUNS AND HEADS AND ENGINES turn into robots too!

Actionmasters didn't really impress me.

I own ONE, and that was because my love of Shockwave was greater than my love of transforming robots.

On the other hand, and perhaps more close to the new combiners... Power Rangers did and do sell really well.

Yes, I'm going somewhere here, even though it seems a HUGE tangent.

The fact that the robots weren't usable as individual machines, only combined, just struck me as incredibly, monumentally stupid.

And it got WORSE later, when the leader's robot could fight on it's own and the rest were only usable as battle armor for the leader's robot. Sounding familiar yet?

Admittedly, as a kid I watched an episode or two, filed it under the heading of "cheap Voltron knockoff," and ignored it as much as my little sister would let me, which turned out to be "not very much." But that doesn't change my evaluation of the robots.

And that's what Power Core Combiners are. Megazords.

Is it marketable? Sure. You can convince grown adults to want anything, no matter how bad it is. You can even convince them your cheap knockoff is better than someone else's quality product. It's a lot easier with kids, if you spend the ad dollars right.

But do I want it? No, not really. I haven't seen the pictures, but Transformers: Megazord is just INCREDIBLY uninteresting to me from the concept alone.

Also, LOL, you basically said "Ruined FOREVER".

The appearance of a rational argument is usually destroyed by AOL-speak and "witty" catchphrases. Bit of friendly advice there("FYI" in AOL-ese).

And on a less antagonistic note, but also a very late one... I found an Animated Arcee! Apparently going into a Toys R Us and not even really LOOKING for Transformers is the key to finding what you want.

The gigantic backpack makes me sad, especially given how high over her head it rises. If it could slide down, it'd be a lot less ugly.

The lower legs are shaped funny, but it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. And she holds her balance MUCH better for me than most Transformers I've had.

And the real reason I'm bothering to comment on it so late after everyone else has seen it is...

I REALLY like the transformation sequence.

Flipping the arms down to expose the face at the very end made me smile. I like the head coming out last(probably from too much Voltron as a kid), and the way it was done has style.

As an added bonus, the arms can drop into an action pose right out of transformation if you pull 'em right, as well as any spring-loaded automorph effect. It's a toss up if I like this or movie Brawn's guns-in-hand transformation more.

The toy was worth it for that last step alone, and I wish I saw this kind of style in more transformations.

And the real reason I'm bothering to comment on it so late after everyone else has seen it is...

I REALLY like the transformation sequence.

Flipping the arms down to expose the face at the very end made me smile. I like the head coming out last(probably from too much Voltron as a kid), and the way it was done has style.

As an added bonus, the arms can drop into an action pose right out of transformation if you pull 'em right, as well as any spring-loaded automorph effect. It's a toss up if I like this or movie Brawn's guns-in-hand transformation more.

The toy was worth it for that last step alone, and I wish I saw this kind of style in more transformations.

Thanks for that, I haven't really read much on her transformation until now. Mine should arrive tomorrow (had to rely on an out-of-state friend to obtain her) and I'm very anxious to get my hands on her. I agree that there aren't enough TFs with really clever and fun transformations. It seems like the trend has become intricate for the sake of being intricate, which is no fun to me. I don't mind intricate and complicated transformations if they are intuitive and fun, but that's not usually the case. One of my favorite aspects of Animated is how clever and fun a lot of the toys' transformations are. Regardless of what one might think of the designs themselves, the toys struck an almost perfect balance between good alt modes, good bot modes, great articulation, excellent construction and finish (the soft Yamato-like matte on most of them wasn't used much at all prior to Animated), and fun/intuitive transformations. I sorely miss the line and I really look forward to the few remaining stragglers yet to be released.