Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Have you seen the Binaltech/Alternators and Alternity lines? They're not G1 or Bay, but they have everything that "was". Those are 2 lines that speak for themselves.

Still, I rather have one single G1 Optimus Prime, than 100 Binaltechs/Alt's. To me, they feel too "samey" ; perhaps if those lines ventured into other vehicles than only cars. But hey, that's just me speaking for myself.

Edited by knoted

That's a bit of a fallacy. A person can list several reasons for being wowed by a design. They may or may not list those reasons, after saying " Wow, that looks great! ...Because ; reason #1, reason #2, reason #3, etc. "

Saying " Ugh, more goat legs " is a specific complaint which rules out any chance of change of mind ; and it's often used ( not necessarily in these forums, mind you ) as a denigrating generalization towards an entire toyline and its fans.

There's no fallacy in what I said. Both are opinions and both are valid in that context. And honestly, why does anyone need to list reasons for not liking goat legs or any other design aesthetic? To suggest that someone is "ruling out any chance of change of mind" just suggests that you think they should change their mind, which again suggests that you believe their opinion is "wrong".

And if someone reads "Ugh, more goat legs" and takes that as a "denigrating generalization towards an entire toyline and its fans" then they are reading way too much into it and are bringing that sentiment in themselves. Just because you think it's a slight against an entire fan base doesn't mean it is.

You seem to be genuinely irritated by the fact that some fans complain about modern TF toys not being made like they used to be made and wish they were more like toys from the old days. Why does this bother you?

All that said, I believe we're in danger of derailing the thread too close to "locked" territory. We should stop discussing opinions and get back to toys.

Edited by eriku

BIG EDIT:

Also did someone bash G1 Micromaster Overload?

get out

I got out of Transformers temporarily, because of stuff like G1 Micromaster Overload. Imo, very lame stuff.

Oh well, the past is the past and the past is dead, unless popular demand revives it.

Edited by knoted

Seriously... I love me some Micromasters and the bases. Some of my favorite toys. Eventually I'm going to have to save for Grandus (and then actually be able to FIND one) to complete the set... then add in Countdown and make a giant MM base around the Zone.

Is ROTF Lockdown news at all? Saw several at Target yesterday when I stopped right after lunch.

I think he's still somewhat of a new release. I've only seen him in a store once so far.

I picked him up, but I didn't like the goat legs so I didn't buy him.

Ok, ROTF Dirge is every bit as neat as they say. Is Mindwipe equal? Looks to be a simpler transformation from what I can see. Don't really like his tonfa-blade things either---it looks like they can rotate back in robot mode, but can't really hide/retract.

PS--ROTF Dirge has a slightly purple canopy, pretty much exactly what I've tried so hard to achieve on my VF-25 kit. So Bandai has no excuse. :p

PPS---Dirge is very Thundercracker-esque in coloring IMHO. He's a greenish blue, not pure blue. Almost in the Seacon-teal range. G1 TC is ever so slightly greenish, but G1 Dirge is pure blue. The one on the packaging is pure blue though, that would have looked better and more G1-ish. Also, black tailfins are a TC thing. Though I'm not sure how they should be painted, as he only really had wing endplates in G1, and all-gold fins would look tacky on this mold. Red shoulder intake interiors are a nice G1 homage though. A bit of red on the feet or knees would have been good too for the same purpose.

I'm seriously considering repainted the yellow bits over with gold--I really wonder if it's a factory mistake----lemon yellow in 2 random spots, when EVERYTHING else is gold?

As a topic on its own : I don't see the issue with goat legs that much.

Pretty common style since, what...Regulds, ED209 etc.

I got the new deluxe Ratchet btw. Got rid of his giant feet ( which were

like giant kibble in hummer mode ) Other than that, this is a really

neat mold.

Ratchet_Custom.jpg

Edited by knoted

Ok, ROTF Dirge is every bit as neat as they say. Is Mindwipe equal? Looks to be a simpler transformation from what I can see. Don't really like his tonfa-blade things either---it looks like they can rotate back in robot mode, but can't really hide/retract.

I don't have Dirge so I can't compare, but I do really enjoy Mindwipe. The twin blades are, for me, the biggest minus. They do fold back, but his hands have to be positioned at an odd angle to do so and like you said they don't really hide or retract. Normally something like that would drive me nuts, but I like the rest of Mindwipe enough to forgive it. The biggest pluses for me are the super-slim alt mode, the simple and fun transformation and the overall look of bot mode. The fact you can choose between regular legs and goat legs is really nice, too.

Yup, Mindwipe is a fun figure, and it's tight in both modes-no floppiness. I tried doing the fan mode I linked to a couple of pages back, and it ended up being easy to do and it feels very secure:

Mindwipe (plain)

Mindwipe + Skystalker

Rear View

Wings Unfolded

This is actually the first fan mode for any TF that I like. And it looked a lot better when I rubbed out the decepticon symbols from SS's wings. Kudos to whoever thought this up!

Yeah, I've had mine in that configuration since the day I got Skystalker and I love the combo. I really like Skystalker on his own, too.

I like how you took out the 'Con symbols - it looks much better that way. Time to grab the rubbing alcohol!

Looking at Mindwipe again, I completely figured out the transformation once I tried to do so, which generally means "pass" for me. (My #1 rule for most any TF purchase is for something innovative/complex---which means that if I can look at it, think for 30 secs, and be 99% sure I know exactly how it transforms---then it's a waste of money to me) Exceptions are made for fave characters of course. :)

Though I've wanted a bigger/better Barricade since the first movie, HA Barricade really doesn't look any better to me. Mainly--they still aren't doing ANYTHING with the chest/grill. I mean c'mon, Deluxe first-wave BB from 07 had a multi-part chest---not totally accurate, but at least they tried. And we STILL can't get a Barricade with some sort of v-shaped/indented chest? I expect "more complex than G1 Prowl" for the chest transformation after all this time/budget. I still have not ever bought a movie Barricade toy. And I doubt we'll get a leader-class.

I have both Mindwipe and Skystalker and still haven't tried any combos yet. I love Skystalker, and prefer to keep him alone so i can play. :) Mindwipe is a pretty decent fig as well, although his legs look a little wonky to me, maybe too short, I dunno. It's not b/c they're goat legs, either. :lol: Overall, he's a pretty good rendition of the F-117, albeit with some artistic license thrown in. Best of all, no underplane robot syndrome...nice and flat on the bottom. hasbro, takara, why can't all your aircraft figs be like this? I like Dirge as well..interesting transformation, and he's a decent Harrier wannabe. His cockpit arm is kinda crappy, but I still like him.

Managed to find TFA Arcee and Cybertron Ratchet. Love em both, but Arcee is near and dear. Waited a long time for a G1-esque Arcee with a car mode, and IMHO, they dun good.

I got Scattershot, too. I like the fig...neat transformation and great poseability. The guns on his arms suck b/c they cannot really be positioned out of the way for free hands very well. So I have him double gunning and he looks pretty good. Some of the scout class figs are surprisingly good, sometimes better than the Deluxes. And speaking of double-gunning, ROTF Brawn is a pretty nice fig in his own right, though he's nearly a shell former, but he comes out of his vehicle mode with pistols in hands, and can assume some cool poses. I love his head...menacing for an Autobot.

I got Scattershot, too. I like the fig...neat transformation and great poseability. The guns on his arms suck b/c they cannot really be positioned out of the way for free hands very well. So I have him double gunning and he looks pretty good.

The guns can be taken off and put back very easily. They're just on pegs, so all you have to do is pull. Not much different than putting a gun in the fist-hole of a G1 TF. Once I discovered this I liked Scattorshot a lot better. I also like both modes better after removing the plow. I guess I'm not much of a plow guy. Natural aversion due to being a lifelong Minnesotan perhaps. -_-

post-430-1269009925_thumb.jpg

anyone else think rotf bludgeon worth getting?

Yes, definitely -- terrific figure, fits in well with the Classics line. My only real complaint is that I wish the face was more skull-like. But that's a minor gripe.

Best,

--MyClone

US MP Grimlock looks surprisingly nice IMHO. Very G1-toy-esque. Mainly---they didn't totally screw it up like MP SS, but instead went very toy-based like MP SW.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...ng-takaras.html

Hasbro one doesn't come with the intelligence-transfer device, tray, wine glasses, apron and bow tie

damn Hasbro and their cheapness! :angry:

Yes, definitely -- terrific figure, fits in well with the Classics line. My only real complaint is that I wish the face was more skull-like. But that's a minor gripe.

Best,

--MyClone

If you do score one, be careful when bending the knees...I was transforming mine for thee firsttime, bent the knee (my angle was just slightly off, I guess) and the leg snapped off in my hand. The post to which the knee joint is attached is not very thick, and the knee ratchet is pretty tight for its being attached to so narrow a piece of plastic. I ended up drilling a hole and sticking a piece of wire in there to hold the two halves together. I nearly cried when it happened, as I literally only had it out of the box for about 10 minutes. Hope I'm the only one this has happened to.

Is MP Grimlock a Walmart exclusive? I personally didn't care about all the Takara extras...just the fig himself. I don't acknowledge much of anything from the original show beyond season 1 and the movie. Too much silliness in season 2 and beyond...Seaspray, cosmic rust, drunk on energon, ...I thought it all was dumb at 13. My views haven't changed.

Edited by M'Kyuun

The Takara version in dino mode with the bowtie, drinks and tha apron is just pure perfection (really, I like dino mode that much over the robot one). Now for those who want robot mode grims, the Hasbro version sure looks good.

Anybody get Warbot(springer) yet? I just finished watching the reviews and damn it looks good! I can't wait to get mine! ^_^

Anybody get Warbot(springer) yet? I just finished watching the reviews and damn it looks good! I can't wait to get mine! ^_^

Mine's en route. It'll be great to have it along with Magnus and Hot Rod. I imagined it being molded into a deeper green, but I still look forward to playing with it-finally, a classics-style Springer!