Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

So which parts is FansProject actually making? Is it just Blast-Off and Swindle or are they doing the whole figure as well?

It's just Blast-Off and Swindle (sold separately), each including weapons/parts for the rest of the team.

So I'd have to get a seperate Bruticus figure from another toyline to complete the set? Which line would that be?

Originally from Energon. A repaint was being sold exclusively at Targets under the Revenge of the Fallen line.

Good luck gettting one now though---the value and rarity of that mold has skyrocketed recently due to this add-on set. However, you may get lucky and find some of the ROTF versions at Big Lots etc being clearanced. Dollar General I think was also mentioned.

If you get desperate, you can try to buy individual bots---you do not need any of the accessories (like the hands or feet), nor do you need 2 of the 5 bots. A "complete" Bruticus is kinda pointless for this. (I've got a spare helicopter for sale BTW)

Good luck gettting one now though---the value and rarity of that mold has skyrocketed recently due to this add-on set. However, you may get lucky and find some of the ROTF versions at Big Lots etc being clearanced. Dollar General I think was also mentioned.

If you get desperate, you can try to buy individual bots---you do not need any of the accessories (like the hands or feet), nor do you need 2 of the 5 bots. A "complete" Bruticus is kinda pointless for this. (I've got a spare helicopter for sale BTW)

Yeah, that kinda cools my interest in getting these toys. I mean, they look awesome 'n all, but no way in hell am I going to go to all that effort for them. The only other TF toy that remotely interests me is the Rodimus Prime add-on set FP is also producing, but I'm a bit turned off by the fact that the vast majority of the winnebago goes into a 'battle station' and not onto Prime himself.

Takara-Tomy Transformers 2010 Unicron Revealed

TFW2005.com Unicron pics

It may be a repaint, it may only have a new head sculpt, but damn if that isn't the Unicron toy I've wanted since I was a little kid I don't know what is!

That looks way better than the Armada version; makes it look even more kiddified(not to say it's a bad toy, it's the best one in the Armada line).

Takara-Tomy Transformers 2010 Unicron Revealed

TFW2005.com Unicron pics

It may be a repaint, it may only have a new head sculpt, but damn if that isn't the Unicron toy I've wanted since I was a little kid I don't know what is!

Man. I have the Armada one, and I've always thought of it as good enough, but damn if I don't want that one now.

Oh, that's very nice.

I think the old Unicron's biggest problem is WAAAAY too much clear plastic.

IMNSHO, It should be used as an accent, not a primary "color."

And generally in places where there's some detailing under it so there's not just a big gaping void, or where there's a REASON for it to be transparent.

Armada/Classics Unicron misses on both counts.

There's LOTS of clear plastic, both in vanilla and "purple haze" variants, and most of it isn't well-used.

As for usage...

The good:

The chest plate has significant detailing under it(in the form of a rocket launcher) as well as using paint on both sides to create a rather nice 3D effect. This part is actually a great use of clear plastic.

The iffy:

The fist is clearly for the illumination effect, though I think it was overdone, especially given it doesn't diffuse well. I'd really like to see a "glow spilling out of the joints" effect used somewhere, even if it IS harder to build(possibly prohibitively so, but I still wanna see it).

The planet shell could be so it's easier to ignore in robot mode. Given the shell's only real purpose in robot mode is to prop the wings up, I can get behind this(too bad there's no snaps to lock the wing braces in place, though...). Unfortunately, it's a complete dud in planet mode.

The bad:

The skirt armor and the abdominal panel are VERY poor choices. The skirt armor is especially offensive, as it isn't even consistent. Parts of the skirt are gray and parts are clear.

The missile launchers in the legs form the OTHER part of the planet hemisphere, so they kind of have to be purple haze if the wings are, but MUCH more could have been done with them. There's no sense of mass underneath them, just a big empty void. And unlike the wings, these fail to impress in BOTH modes.

That's my take. Unicron's clear is overused and underutilized, except in the chest.

Were I tweaking the design...

I would've... not used clear plastic in the skirt or abdomen. At all. Maybe let the abdomen slide due to the minicon prison feature, but I remain highly unimpressed, and it's not like the minicon cells in the legs are transparent(thank Primus).

The inside part of the leg guns would be designed to add detailing instead of just to hold missiles and springs.

If I couldn't convince Hasbro to let me add the plastic for volumetric detail, I'd mold something into the flat parts. Even just cliche circuit traces. Those leg guns are the single worst part of the toy.

I would guess not much. Lots of iterations of that mold already exist. Also, it doesn't make much sense to put a dead Optimus Prime in action poses. B))

You do realize that if sold in the U.S., we might get a Nemesis Prime.

I'd be interested to see how popular Dead or Nemesis Prime would be in the US.

Personally I'm not interested enough in either of them to even look at online photos.

Edited by eriku

Nah, IIRC Peg and crew were always set for August stateside.

I wasn't sure about Peg specifically, but I thought Peg and the other Classics figures were going to be under the same "Generations" label as the new War for Cybertron figs. And I figured that Hasbro would start releasing those around the same time as the game, at the end of June.

Nah, IIRC Peg and crew were always set for August stateside.

Yeah, August has always been the set date, but I was thinking that the reason could be because Hasbro had planned on having all of this Iron Man stuff out and wanted time to sell through on that stuff. The new TFs seem to be ready to go, especially since some of them have already been releaed in Australia.

Impossible Toys' Valkyrie:

I'm glad it's finally being made, but a couple of tweaks to the main body would've made it more feminine. It just seems to lack a certain "grace" if that makes any sense. I guess I should just be happy that G1's femme-bot is finally getting a figure.

I have animated Blurr and he is great but the animated look doesn't match with Unicron, Fans Project Springer and Ultra Magnus, and Classics Rodimus is all.

Don't forget that we're supposed to get a repaint of Peg with a new Blurr head mold. Would that work for you?

Well here is something you never thought of it :

Actually I'm pretty sure someone here posted pics of animated Starscream in gerwalk mode as far back as two years ago. Still cool though. :)

drift is really a nice figure. Just dont know what universe he comes from in the transformers genre

is anyone getting ghost MP Starscream. I want to get one but i need a review first

Edited by Snail00

driftPeg is really a nice figure. Just dont know what universe he comes from in the transformers genre

is anyone getting ghost MP Starscream. I want to get one but i need a review first

Peg's an original character from IDW's Transformers comic book.