Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Got the WFC Prime and Bee today. I think they look better in person than they do in photos. Not that they looked bad in photos, but they seem less wonky-looking in my hands than they did online. I think a lot of people pose Bee's thighs strangly, making him look sort of saddle-sore.

The transformations on these are a little wicked. Bee goes together pretty straightforwardly but the final stage of lining up all of the panels takes the most time, and I still can't get it quite perfect.

Prime is a regular puzzle. He doesn't fill me with pure, burning rage like ROTF leader Prime does, but he's definitely got a few "set the toy down and rethink your strategy" moments.

Overall I'm happy with both of them and looking forward to getting more WFC figures down the road.

Edited by eriku

Got the WFC Prime and Bee today. I think they look better in person than they do in photos. Not that they looked bad in photos, but they seem less wonky-looking in my hands than they did online. I think a lot of people pose Bee's thighs strangly, making him look sort of saddle-sore.

The transformations on these are a little wicked. Bee goes together pretty straightforwardly but the final stage of lining up all of the panels takes the most time, and I still can't get it quite perfect.

Prime is a regular puzzle. He doesn't fill me with pure, burning rage like ROTF leader Prime does, but he's definitely got a few "set the toy down and rethink your strategy" moments.

Overall I'm happy with both of them and looking forward to getting more WFC figures down the road.

After playing the game, I'm really looking forward to the toys, but I'm going to wait for them to turn up in my local stores.

Checking out the concept art in the bonuses has me REALLY wanting a Shockwave...

Yeah, I liked it, but I didn't love it. It's a competent, if short, third person shooter. There's plenty of little easter eggs for Transformers fans. But for all the hype about how it was going to delve into the Transformers back story and show how Starscream hooked up with the Decepticons and how Optimus and Bumblebee met, the story's actually pretty thin. I mean, Bumblebee and Optimus' meeting basically goes down like this:

BB: "I'm Bumbleebee."

Optimus: "I'm Optimus. Ratchet, fix this guy up; he's with us now."

All-in-all, it's a good first try. It's better than either of the movie games (or the Japanese G1 game), and perhaps as good as the Armada PS2 game. I just wish that High Moon could have delivered something that felt less generic third-person shooter with Transformers and something that felt uniquely Transformers, but it's hard to fault them for coming closer than just about anyone else.

It looks like War for Cybertron is going to nix the whole Orion Pax story.

Fine with me; I never liked that version anyway. I preferred Dreamwave's "Optronix" bit, but I think I really prefer War for Cybertron's notion that he was always Optmius, and that Prime is just a title.

Edited by mikeszekely

I mean, Bumblebee and Optimus' meeting basically goes down like this:

BB: "I'm Bumbleebee."

Optimus: "I'm Optimus. Ratchet, fix this guy up; he's with us now."

NOOOOO!!!! SPOLIERSSSS!!! j/k :p

That story element must have taken a full four seconds to think up and write. :lol:

I think I'm going to stick with my gut-reaction to this game, which is to wait until I find it used and under $20. Something tells me it wont take long.

Edited by eriku

NOOOOO!!!! SPOLIERSSSS!!! j/k :p

That story element must have taken a full four seconds to think up and write. :lol:

I think I'm going to stick with my gut-reaction to this game, which is to wait until I find it used and under $20. Something tells me it wont take long.

Whether or not you should get it really relies on two things.

1.) Do you like shooters?

2.) Do you like Transformers?

If the answer to the first one is a no, playing a Transformers shooter isn't likely to change your mind. If the answer to number two is no, then there are better shooters on the market. If the answer to both is yes, then it's definitely worth playing.

Not that what other people think always matters, but it's getting pretty good reviews. An 8.5 from Game Informer, a B+ from 1up, and a 9.0 from IGN.

Ahh ZZ Top. The band that should've done the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show, instead of that nimrod Janet Jackson and the douche-bag that caused her "wardrobe malfunction". :rolleyes:

That car would make an excellent Transformer, if you can get the permission of Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard to do it, that is.

So I guess there have been some sightings of the new Generations toys at some Toys R Us. The initial reported sighting was somewhere in Maryland, but I guess they've turned up in some other places too.

All I know is that they're NOT here in Greensburg, PA...

So I guess there have been some sightings of the new Generations toys at some Toys R Us. The initial reported sighting was somewhere in Maryland, but I guess they've turned up in some other places too.

All I know is that they're NOT here in Greensburg, PA...

I can confirm that they are in VA as I got my set yesterday and a fellow member got nearly all of the rest today(just 1 set and another Thrust after I left). Bumblebee is EXCELLENT, one of the best Bumblebee figures ever made EXCEPT for the transformation. Do you miss shellformers? It reminds me a lot of RID, but the RID car bros weren't as much as a PITA to transform. I thought I had it down, then come to find the plates off by a few cm's. Some stress marks on the port that one of the pegs plugs into. Alt mode is great...getting there..no.

Prime is cool but I think he ought to have been a voyager. Bumblebee is bigger than him. Have not transformed Prime yet. Fun to pose. Very detailed.

Thrust is good and even has chrome(cockpit)! Overall quality is great. Glad to finally have him.

Drift is decent, feels more like a Classics 1 figure which may or may not appeal to some of you. The simplest figure of wave 1. Hidden weapons are great, shoulder kibble gets in the way. Worth getting but I think the Drift retool may be better.

Wow, wrong colors* on Overbite, and with stickers pre-mis-applied! <_<

(I am a big Seacons fan)

PS---original G1 Seacons had QA/fit issues, "mold wear" etc---I can't imagine how the mold is now, after the JP BW ones, etc.

*Overbite's mid-section and gun should be pure G1 Decepticon purple---he's the "uniquely colored" Seacon, the only one with purple.

**Also, if they don't include at least one "weapon stand" than you can't really do Piranacon right. I am 100% sure the official instructions have been wrong all these years, and miss a step---use the weapon stand rifle for Piranacon when in gun mode, not the limb's personal weapon. It just looks/works/fits so much better--it CANNOT be coincidence that that part has no other use, and is shaped the way it is.

PPS--the original sword was lavender, not chromed. It's supposed to be kind of coral-seaweed-y. (based on the mold details)

I can confirm that they are in VA as I got my set yesterday and a fellow member got nearly all of the rest today(just 1 set and another Thrust after I left). Bumblebee is EXCELLENT, one of the best Bumblebee figures ever made EXCEPT for the transformation. Do you miss shellformers? It reminds me a lot of RID, but the RID car bros weren't as much as a PITA to transform. I thought I had it down, then come to find the plates off by a few cm's. Some stress marks on the port that one of the pegs plugs into. Alt mode is great...getting there..no.

Prime is cool but I think he ought to have been a voyager. Bumblebee is bigger than him. Have not transformed Prime yet. Fun to pose. Very detailed.

Thrust is good and even has chrome(cockpit)! Overall quality is great. Glad to finally have him.

Drift is decent, feels more like a Classics 1 figure which may or may not appeal to some of you. The simplest figure of wave 1. Hidden weapons are great, shoulder kibble gets in the way. Worth getting but I think the Drift retool may be better.

Well, there was a UPS truck parked in front of the building when I was leaving yesterday, so I might stop by again today, since I have some errands to run anyway. Virginia and Maryland are so close to Pennsylvania; I'd have to imagine that if we don't have them yet, we'll have them soon.

Prime and Thrust are my top priorities, although I agree he should have been a Voyager. Drift might have been a pass for me, but Peg is a must-buy. Counting Bumblebee, is that it for wave 1? The only other Generations figures I can recall them making are Darkmount/Straxis and Blurr.

EDIT: Still nope. :(

Edited by mikeszekely

This is from the TakaraTomy panel at BotCon.

Q: Will we see a re-issue G1 Shockwave?

Hideaki Yoke: Wouldn't you rather see a new Shockwave?

Probably just an off-hand remark, but I'm positively tickled at the slightest possibility of a new (hopefully Generations) Shockwave.

War for Cybertron Shockwave is most likely in the works.

That would be freaking awesome. I wasn't sold on his bot mode (his arm gun just doesn't look right), but the concept art for him had a cool jet alt-mode.

Well, there was a UPS truck parked in front of the building when I was leaving yesterday, so I might stop by again today, since I have some errands to run anyway. Virginia and Maryland are so close to Pennsylvania; I'd have to imagine that if we don't have them yet, we'll have them soon.

Prime and Thrust are my top priorities, although I agree he should have been a Voyager. Drift might have been a pass for me, but Peg is a must-buy. Counting Bumblebee, is that it for wave 1? The only other Generations figures I can recall them making are Darkmount/Straxis and Blurr.

EDIT: Still nope. :(

Yep, that's all for wave 1. In addition to Darkmount, Straxus; Blurr, there are:

1. Red Alert
  2. WFC Megatron
  3. WFC Soundwave
  4. DIRGE!: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/tfw2005-botcon-2010-coverage-generations-and-hunt-for-the-decepticons-figures-170049/