Video game company blunders

I would have been annoyed if it were not the way it is.

But it is quite clear that Capcom has always associated the Shinku-/Hadoken.

- CE: slightly faster Hadoken

- Turbo: Hit twice with a HP Hadoken and would give you knock down with dizzy

- Super Turbo: Shakunetsu, Super

- Alpha: Shakunetsu axed and partly intergrated in standard Hadoken -> close up HP Hado will give flame and knock down, retains Shinku

- A2: Shakunestu back (I think), Shinku Hadoken

- A3: basically like A2, X-Ism has Ryu only with Shinku and not something else like Tastsu or Shin-Shoryu

- III: give us another fireball variant => Denjin Hadoken

To add to that, most of the game intros always show us a Ryu performing (Shinku-)Hadoken and not Shin-Shoryu.

• 4 weeks later...
And Dan is as suck-ass as ever, I suppose :p .
He's OK, by my standards. Not as good a repertoire as some characters, but still deadly if played right. It seems like Capcom is making up for the sorry joke he was in previous games.

Edit:

Speaking of which...Super Street Fighter IV was announced. Not sure if it's a video game blunder profit-wise, but it reportedly won't be compatible with SFIV...meaning that anybody wanting the new characters and features will have to throw down more cash. That's a blunder, IMO.

Edited by RD Blade

I would have been annoyed if it were not the way it is.

But it is quite clear that Capcom has always associated the Shinku-/Hadoken.

- CE: slightly faster Hadoken

- Turbo: Hit twice with a HP Hadoken and would give you knock down with dizzy

- Super Turbo: Shakunetsu, Super

- Alpha: Shakunetsu axed and partly intergrated in standard Hadoken -> close up HP Hado will give flame and knock down, retains Shinku

- A2: Shakunestu back (I think), Shinku Hadoken

- A3: basically like A2, X-Ism has Ryu only with Shinku and not something else like Tastsu or Shin-Shoryu

- III: give us another fireball variant => Denjin Hadoken

To add to that, most of the game intros always show us a Ryu performing (Shinku-)Hadoken and not Shin-Shoryu.

Nope, A3 definately had a prtoto-Shin-Shoryuken. A-ism high kick super. Besides, Sagat got that freakin scar from a Shoryuken, not a Haduken!

Edited by Keith

• 2 months later...

Here's one I ran into when I was playing Modern Warfare 2.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, if the multiplayer map "Quarry" takes place in Brazil, why is it that all the signs there are written in Spanish? They should be written in Portuguese!!!. I guess Infinity Ward flunked World Histroy Class, because Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, not the Spanish. If you're going to have games in real-world locations, you can at least get the language right.

Not all countries south of the Rio Grande speak Spanish, Belize being another example, its official language is English.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Now correct me if I'm wrong, if the multiplayer map "Quarry" takes place in Brazil, why is it that all the signs there are written in Spanish? They should be written in Portuguese!!!. I guess Infinity Ward flunked World Histroy Class, because Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, not the Spanish. If you're going to have games in real-world locations, you can at least get the language right.

Not all countries south of the Rio Grande speak Spanish, Belize being another example, its official language is English.

it's because nobody really cares. Multiplayer maps are just an assemblage of terrain on which to kill people, proper signage don't matter (and you can't prove it's in Brazil, multiplayer maps don't directly reflect single player levels). and if you want to get nitpicky, have someone who knows Portuguese listen to the Militia multiplayer dialogue.

Well, it's not the most "accurate" game in the world.... like the part about Russian troops carrying Israeli, Austrian, and French assault rifles into battle <_< .

or german SMG's, or italian hand guns, or $120,000 US made missiles, or half the worlds supply of WA2000's (a German rifle of which only 174 exist), or army rangers being armed with desert eagles, or shoulder firing 28lb M240B's etc... etc...

if it's in MW2 it's probably not accurate, but it's damn fun.

I've been playing Mass Effect 1 in order to get a clear save file for part 2 and I have to tell you, the mission on Luna was a real bitch. I suggest you save right after you clear each bunker, and save the one with the rocket drones for last. It took me several reloads to clear the freaking thing. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Just started playing Bioshock on 360. I was amazed to find that a game that's been out for 2 years has yet to patch in a southpaw/legacy control layout.

In fact, I consider it a blunder for any game that requires precision aim to exclude the option to at least swap thumbstick functions. Too often have left-handed gamers been treated like second class citizens or ignored altogether.

So yeah... screw Bioshock and eff 2K.

Just started playing Bioshock on 360. I was amazed to find that a game that's been out for 2 years has yet to patch in a southpaw/legacy control layout.

In fact, I consider it a blunder for any game that requires precision aim to exclude the option to at least swap thumbstick functions. Too often have left-handed gamers been treated like second class citizens or ignored altogether.

So yeah... screw Bioshock and eff 2K.

bioshock doesn't require precision aiming though. I played through the entire game on normal without once using ADS.

If that was the only thing wrong with the game, I'd be happy. But I consider that game to be the biggest blunder in current next gen gaming. They had a winning formula with a few minor things to take out of the game in order to make their next one great. What do they do??? Freaking leave those things in but make them 10X worse. Plus unbalance everything, break some weapons, make snipers weak, make knifes amazing, make perk combos that are just plain annoying, etc...

MW2 = Biggest Gaming Blunder IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and I want to nominate Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 since they pulled the DLC content character packs without notice b/c Activision couldn't get the licenses renewed (likely b/c Disney refused to renew them since Disney wants another company to do MUA 3). Thus, everyone that got the game this Christmas couldn't play the game. To make things worse, the company announced later that the deadline had been Dec. 31, but the content was pulled on Dec. 22. Total blunder and really pissed me off. Oh, and people without the DLC can't play with people who have it b/c that's how the company made it.

Edited by protostar8

bioshock doesn't require precision aiming though. I played through the entire game on normal without once using ADS.
Sure it does. Headshots kill enemies faster which uses less ammo which makes the game easier and bases success on skill rather than a mixture of luck and persistence.

What is ADS?

My whole point is this (and it applies to every FPS): I equate playing such a game that doesn't offer left-handed controls to writing an essay on quantum physics...with my foot.

Sure it does. Headshots kill enemies faster which uses less ammo which makes the game easier and bases success on skill rather than a mixture of luck and persistence.

Or you can equip better plasmids, pad out your EVE meter, and go running around gleefully tasering people then lighting them on fire. Throw in some heat seeking RPG's for the big guy's and your pretty much set. ^_^

What is ADS?

aim down sites. (I play a lot of call of duty :rolleyes: )

Just a little nick pick, I wish the amount of content in games these days were bigger. Either I've played too many games or modern games are getting shorter to get through the first time.

Oh, and

Final Fantasy XIII being almost as linear as X. X was good, but it's kind of hard to convince me to spend another $60 for a new battle system, good graphics, but the same freedom as a 2001 game.

I heard about that complaint about FFXIII. It being "about as linear as a piece of string."

I would have thought that by this day and age in video game development, especially as something as prolific as FF, would be better than that. Might as well turn FF series into a freedom-less rail shooter.

The Mass Effect series would sort of counter that point. Not that I totally disagree, I don't even think a linear game is always a bad one. One of the best games, with on of the best stories I've played...possibly ever is Mass Effect, not particularly linear at all. Conversely, the other game that would fall into the amazing category would be Metal Gear Solid 4, which allowed very little wiggle room, outside where it took you. Both games are fantastic and have great stories, they just present them to you differently.

Now I honestly dislike how Final Fantasy has been moving away from the free roam overworld of the older games. I do think they need to re-capture that and let you walk off the beaten path more than they have in more recent titles.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Its not a game, but I like my PSP go.

The old PSP had moving parts which are stupid to have in a hand held video game system.

Edit in:

I only put this here because people always bash it, and I think its the superior product

Edited by Agent ONE

Or you can equip better plasmids, pad out your EVE meter, and go running around gleefully tasering people then lighting them on fire. Throw in some heat seeking RPG's for the big guy's and your pretty much set. ^_^

aim down sites. (I play a lot of call of duty :rolleyes: )

Do you mean "sights"?

How's FFXIII's story? Good story = linear play, deal with it!

Back in the day, I thought VIII's story was good, but now only the love theme actually makes sense anymore. My opinion of the game has gone down ever since, especially when thinking back on the demo for it. It made you think you're going to be playing as bad @ss mercenaries, but when you got the game, you're really playing as high schoolers trained to act like mercenaries.

The point I'm making is after the initial wow factor that the game could give people, a lot of the big and small screw ups are bound to come up. It may not be a good, consistent story or game the more you think about it.

Edited by Einherjar

Back in the day, I thought VIII's story was good, but now only the love theme actually makes sense anymore. My opinion of the game has gone down ever since, especially when thinking back on the demo for it. It made you think you're going to be playing as bad @ss mercenaries, but when you got the game, you're really playing as high schoolers trained to act like mercenaries.

The point I'm making is after the initial wow factor that the game could give people, a lot of the big and small screw ups are bound to come up. It may not be a good, consistent story or game the more you think about it.

One of the many bitches I have about that game is that you have to worry about your behavior in the game. Stray too far off the given path, and your salary drops.

I liked VIII.

The more I think about it, it's my most favorite FF of the PSX trio of 7, 8, and 9. It was nice to see a happy ending after the epic but inconclusive (at that time) finale of 7. The characters were a bit 1-dimensional, but can be forgiven in light of a somewhat interesting and creative story, breaking the mold by using the draw system, and the interactive summon system. I also tend to like the steam-punk setting more so than the fantasy medieval ones. My two favorite epic cs was the carousel sniper sequence, and of course when Laguna reveals himself in the main timeline.

I liked VIII.

The more I think about it, it's my most favorite FF of the PSX trio of 7, 8, and 9. It was nice to see a happy ending after the epic but inconclusive (at that time) finale of 7. The characters were a bit 1-dimensional, but can be forgiven in light of a somewhat interesting and creative story, breaking the mold by using the draw system, and the interactive summon system. I also tend to like the steam-punk setting more so than the fantasy medieval ones. My two favorite epic cs was the carousel sniper sequence, and of course when Laguna reveals himself in the main timeline.

I have a feeling that

Laguna is Squall's father.

One of the many bitches I have about that game is that you have to worry about your behavior in the game. Stray too far off the given path, and your salary drops.

It's a good thing then that Gil is almost worthless in the game. In fact, there are a lot of staples in the franchise that became useless in VIII if you used the GFs, magic, and card game effectively; Gil, the item command, Chocobos, level grinding, etc.

Edited by Einherjar