No love for Macross Flashback back 2012 ?

Maybe I am wrong (and I hope so), but why I get the impression a vast majority of Macross fans don't like Flash Back 2012 ? :unsure: Agreed Flash Back 2012 is one episode of 30 minutes with only 5-7 minutes of new footages, but it almost gets no mention on these forums. A surprise to me considering the fact it was the time we have seen Minmay, Misa and Hikaru together.

Edited by Macross007

I like it a lot, but that's probably because I saw it when it was new. There was no "special edition" of DYRL yet, and subs were a long way off.

As such, FB2012 was all eye-candy, and no dialogue scenes that I couldn't understand. It was also a good thing to watch when I needed a quick Macross fix. As such, I've probably watched it more than any other Macross release.

And I still think the editing is awesome. "Zero G Love" is especially great. I love the super-quick Macross transformation and Britai's eye twitch.

The ending, of course, is also quite wonderful. And the characters have never looked better.

just because we don't talk about it doesn't mean it gets no love. Lke you said, there is about five minutes of new footage. Not that much talk about.

But what about the eternal mystery of the clown doll and the handcuffs spinning on the record player? We could debate ENDLESSLY and never get to the true meaning of the symbolism there! :p

:lol: care to start? ;)

All right, but it won't be very funny. B))

(Okay...overthinking mode engaged. The song is "Cinderella," which is all about transient, fleeting happiness...and yet the song sounds almost mournful. I think the record represents Minmay's career, and the clown doll is how she views herself, or how she thinks other people view her. But she feels trapped, hence the handcuffs. See? easy.)

5 minutes of new footage and no dialog...Really...what do you want to talk about?

(Okay...overthinking mode engaged. The song is "Cinderella," which is all about transient, fleeting happiness...and yet the song sounds almost mournful. I think the record represents Minmay's career, and the clown doll is how she views herself, or how she thinks other people view her. But she feels trapped, hence the handcuffs. See? easy.)

:wacko: Yoshinol is much better when going on an acid-trip. You should try it.

:wacko: Yoshinol is much better when going on an acid-trip. You should try it.

dreamweaver, a yoshinol acid trip later...

well, the handcuffs could mean that love, while a source of fleeting happiness, was a prison of sorts. she had a fleeting happiness, either with kaifun or with hikaru (thus it was a clown doll), but it was keeping her from her true happiness and purpose, which was the music (thus, the handcuffs). nevertheless, that fleeting moment of being imprisoned by love remains in her as a memory of her heart "thrown into the sea and broken into pieces", and it is reflected in every piece of music that she comes out with (hence both of them are spinning on the record player).

dreamweaver, after getting sober...

meh. it was a sex game.... who gets turned on by a doll, and who gets turned on by being handcuffed, i leave to your imagination... :p

Maybe I am wrong (and I hope so), but why I get the impression a vast majority of Macross fans don't like Flash Back 2012 ? :unsure: Agreed Flash Back 2012 is one episode of 30 minutes with only 5-7 minutes of new footages, but it almost gets no mention on these forums. A surprise to me considering the fact it was the time we have seen Minmay, Misa and Hikaru together.

DEAR GOD IT HURTS TOO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT! (SNIFF) Flashback is the last time we see Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. The Macross universe has gone on without them, and Kawamori has pretty much laid them to rest. I can't speak for anybody else, but I love Flashback however I have not watched in years on purpose. I really ejoyed those characters and the story behind them. Knowing that we'll probably NEVER find out happen to them, I don't talk about it with other fans. If someone asks about it I'll tell them, but I'll usually point them toward Macross 7 or Macross Frontier. That the new Macross, old-timers like me tend to be too nostalgic. ^_^

Edited by aerocombatpilot

But what about the eternal mystery of the clown doll and the handcuffs spinning on the record player? We could debate ENDLESSLY and never get to the true meaning of the symbolism there! :p

So what if Minmay's into bondage and clowns... her music's still good. :blink:

Nothing wrong with Flashback, just not much to talk about that hasn't already been discussed in the context of the larger Macross universe. You got the Megaroad colonization fleet, the VF-4 Lightning III, Hikaru, Misa and Minmay for the last time and a few bits of new footage with no dialogue. I think it's just really meant to be enjoyed without much discussion or debate since it doesn't really deeply explore any themes or aspects of the Macross story.

not to mention that many of the fans on this forum think that the VF-4 is the the hottest valk ever!

i have yet to see flashback 2012 but i too find the vf-4 to be my favorite valk (the vf19 comes next)

i have yet to see flashback 2012 but i too find the vf-4 to be my favorite valk (the vf19 comes next)

When you get a chance see it, Awesome Anime and the only time as of now you'll ever see the VF-4 in its brief moment of action!! Not to mention Ichijo's flight suit, love that one!! B))

I'm pretty neutral about Flashback 2012. I neither like it nor dislike it. To be honest, it's just a music video using mostly recyled footage.

The new footage showing the VF-4, Megaroad and post-SW1 Minmay, Hikaru & Misa is awesome, but it's too damn short.

Rather than a music video, if BW had expanded the new footage to a minimum 30 miniutes OVA, chronicling the events after SW-1 leading up to the launch of the Megaroad, I would have been much more impressed.

Graham

Rather than a music video, if BW had expanded the new footage to a minimum 30 miniutes OVA, chronicling the events after SW-1 leading up to the launch of the Megaroad, I would have been much more impressed.

Graham

That's the long-awaited sequel that Macross fans have been waiting for and unfortunately will probably never get!! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, love FB 2012 for the precious few seconds of new footage. But I tend to agree with Graham. And, IMHO, it was a merciless tease to keep people wondering and interested until new Macross-related content could come out...several years later. Mission accomplished.