Front Mission: Evolved

I'd post the trailer, but I am too disgusted over the change they made. It was developed for Square Enix by California's Double Helix Games. Figures that an American developer would take a classic Japanese SRPG series and turn it into a shooter.

I'd post the trailer, but I am too disgusted over the change they made. It was developed for Square Enix by California's Double Helix Games. Figures that an American developer would take a classic Japanese SRPG series and turn it into a shooter.

Yeah, I'm really miffed at this, too. The SRPG element is what set it apart from Armored Core and all that crap. Boo!

Wouldn't mind seeing this in FPS mode if it is indeed the direction they're headed, if it is well executed.

The thing with FPS is that it's not about originality, but about execution. There is nothing original about CoD, Halo, Far Cry, Killzone franchises but these games were successful because they were polished products, in a turd filled sea of FPS'.

Now a mech based FPS would be interesting to see. I loved the original FM games, but turn-based strategy is just so yesterday...

Wouldn't mind seeing this in FPS mode if it is indeed the direction they're headed, if it is well executed.

The thing with FPS is that it's not about originality, but about execution. There is nothing original about CoD, Halo, Far Cry, Killzone franchises but these games were successful because they were polished products, in a turd filled sea of FPS'.

Now a mech based FPS would be interesting to see. I loved the original FM games, but turn-based strategy is just so yesterday...

blasphemy! :lol:

I see nothing wrong with trying out a new format for a Front Mission game.

We have played and followed the series for all of these years because of what it is, a superb mecha SRPG. If I wanted to play Armored Core, I'd play Armored Core.

You have to remember that the new Front Mission game always was going to be online only battling it out over Huffman Island. Hell, the footage I saw a few years ago on X-Play showed that it was going to be a third-person action shooter. It's kinda hard to translate turned-based stragety into an online experience.

My only question is does this take place during the first or second Huffman Wars?

This could just be a spin-off...

Hard to say, with a title like "Evolved", it makes it sound like they are changing the series. But true enough, nothing keeping them from doing another SRPG in the future.

But I don't want "in the future", I want now.

I'd rather see an accurate mecha simulator than another 3rd person shooter. I've always wished Gundam would make one.

I thought they did for the Arcades...

I'd like to see an arcade/sim of a Macross game. (Yes, using a bit of third person shooting mechanics...)

I'm taking a wait and see stance. Just because it is a FPS doesn't mean it's going to suck. Metroid Prime is a decent example of a 2D genre that was done well in 3D. Granted, I was also hoping for another incarnation of the traditional FM style on the new consoles, but this could be interesting if it has a Mechwarrior or Earthsiege / Starseige style approach to FPS combat.

Edited by Zx31

I'm taking a wait and see stance. Just because it is a FPS doesn't mean it's going to suck. Metroid Prime is a decent example of a 2D genre that was done well in 3D.

FM was already "3D". This wasn't a perspective change, it was a total game genre change.

I fail because I support creative ways of extending a license as opposed to making a next-gen turn-based game? lol....

I wouldn't say it's creative but the first-person / third-person shooter is the most popular genre in the US...

I wouldn't mind seeing another turn-based game...

Edited by shiroikaze

While I'd like to see FM stay true to its roots, can't say I'm upset about it becoming a third person shooter. But whenever Square ventures out of the RPG world they achieve disastrous results.

Maybe it was a sales decision to change FM...look how well Valkyria Chronicles sold...

I hope this is just a spin-off too. I loved FM3 on the PlayStation.

I'd rather see an accurate mecha simulator than another 3rd person shooter. I've always wished Gundam would make one.

The Gundam Side Story games on the Saturn and Dreamcast came awfully close.