Thor Movie

EXO

The God of Thunder in Marvel's 'Thor' movie has been cast and will be played by Captain Kirk. No...the other one. No...the OTHER other one.

Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily broke the news earlier today that actor Chris Hemsworth has been chosen to play the lead role in the movie version of Marvel's Asgardian legend.

Fans are currently enjoying Hemsworth brief appearance in 'Star Trek' in which he plays Captain George Kirk, the doomed father of the film's hero.

http://www.mania.com/thor-cast_article_115106.html

Is it just me, or does the signing of a barely-known actor to the lead role just scream "we have no confidence in this script"? When they're pretty sure they've got a good thing, they cast high profile names (not that it's any actual guarantee of success *cough* Affleck *cough*). Of course, he could pull a Hugh Jackman and turn out to really do the role proud. Just seems a little squiffy to me. Kenneth Branaugh is directing, though, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

I'd really like to see a high-level synopsis of this film. I kinda liked something I read once about an idea to do the film a la Lord of the Rings, i.e. epic swords and fantasy, that would end with Thor's punishment by Odin to endure a human life... segue into the Avengers movie and his appearance on Earth. Not likely, though, since I've also heard that Sam Jackson will appear as Nick Fury again, which would place the film in the here and now. From some of the plot ideas I've heard, sounds like they're focusing on Thor coming to grips with the fact that the world just ain't the same ol' Midgard he remembers so fondly. Another quote mentioned the approach as an Old Testament god learning to become a New Testament god... however you want to interpret that.

Still, if they crib some ideas from Ultimates as they've done for some of the other films, there could be some really great moments. I enjoyed the Ultimates approach where no one was really sure if Thor was a god (or rather, no one really believed it), and having Loki play on that to get the world turned against him.

Ah well. Just have to be patient.

Edited by Penguin

Most times you cast an unknown for roles where the superhero doesn't wear a mask like Superman. You can cast known actors for heros with masks like Batman, this way you don't associate the character with the actor that's portraying them. Nic Cage was supposed to be superman at one point and if you watched it you wouldn't see superman, you would see Nic Cage in a costume.

I'm so stoked Thor is my favorite Super Hero and I've been reading him since the late 70's early 80's. As for the choice of who's playing Thor I think half of the problem is which big name actor out there can even match Thor's physical stature? In the comics Thor is 6'6" and over 600+ pounds, true this guy isn't THAT big but he is bigger than 99% of the big name actors out there (Tom Cruise is like what 5'7"). Plus I think Super Hero movies have done pretty good casting unknown actors or actors who aren't A-listers, and in any movie you have to suspend reality and believe so and so is this character and even more so in larger than life characters like Super Heroes. It shouldn't be actor "X" as Thor but Thor being portrayed by actor "X".

Signing at unknown or practically unknownhas always been the practice for superheroes. I can't even think of an A list actor for this role. Though isn't this guy too skinny for the role?

and he can act. :lol:

or can he?

Thor doesn't require a lot of lines to memorize or any acting prowess. All HHH has to do on screen is throw his hammer around, which is a no-brainer for him. Hell, while we're at it, Marvel should hire Motörhead to do some theme music for the Thor movie.

He's too skinny to play Thor, and he's not convincing enough to be Don Blake, his alter-ego.

Maybe we should give this thread a subtitle:

NO TRIPLE H = NO THOR MOVIE

Thor has an alter-ego?

Didn't know (or remember that)!

Mind you, it's over quarter of a centuary since I last read any Marvel comics, except for Marvel Zombies.

Graham

Thor has an alter-ego?

Didn't know (or remember that)!

Mind you, it's over quarter of a centuary since I last read any Marvel comics, except for Marvel Zombies.

Graham

In the early comics, Thor was placed in the body of a disabled student named Don Blake by Odin as punishment to teach him humility. Many years later, when Thor learned his lesson, Odin freed him from Blake's body.

Later on, Odin punished Thor again for killing Loki by trapping him in the body of Eric Masterson. Eventually, Thor was freed again, and Odin rewarded Masterson with an enchanted mace that turns him into Thunderstrike (not related to the AC/DC song).

No thanks HHH is a goofball and would make a horrible Thor and as any Thor fan will know Thor is more about some big guy with a hammer smashing in heads. That would be like casting Brad Pitt for the role of Roy Focker just because you need a blonde good looking guy.

Also for casting unknowns as super heroes well it started out that way with Superman then once the studios saw it could make money you got the Kilmer's and Clooney Batman's, Nick Cage as a possible Superman, Halle Berry as Catwoman the Fantastic Four with Jessica Alba Snipes as Blade ect. Untill Batman Begins with a then unknown Christian Bale and then Bryan Singer's casting Routh as Superman and so on.

If the Thor film adaptation is going to be some mindless action cliche like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Levesque would be the way to go. If Branagh is going for any kind of character quality in this film (ala Downey's Stark in Iron Man), they need someone who has acting chops and Levesque is not it.

Much still seems up in the air regarding this film. I'm still surprised Branagh is even attached to this picture, as he seems an odd choice for this material. But I suppose the choice of director depends upon which way they are going with the story. Branagh might be a fine choice if they go all mythological with the film. If they did the Simonson-era style and stories, it could be quite grandiose. But methinks that would have to be a trilogy to pull off :)

• 1 month later...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090713/ap_en_...natalie_portman

Natalie Portman joins the cast of `Thor'

I guess that's the latest thing... A-list actresses playing the love interest for your Superhero star...

She's Luke's mom... He's Kirks dad!!!

I always like Natalie Portman, so i say that's a plus right there.

funny though that Chris Helmworth didn't get this big announcement that he was cast as thor. far as i know, it was just unconfirmed news a few months back. and now, it's confirmed as a side-story to natalie portman's casting?

I always like Natalie Portman, so i say that's a plus right there.

funny though that Chris Helmworth didn't get this big announcement that he was cast as thor. far as i know, it was just unconfirmed news a few months back. and now, it's confirmed as a side-story to natalie portman's casting?

Huh? the first post in this thread is just about the same one article confirming that he's gonna be thor.