Moon

Its the new and improved HAL 9000. Actually this looks really interesting so far. Just hope its not one of those movies with so many damn twists & turns that ending either makes no sense or worse, you the view must decide the ending.

This promising film looks like it's getting dumped in some big dark hole beneath the summer box office. Theatrical release is limited to New York and Los Angeles. Not sure why, but that's disappointing. I was really looking forward to this one.

This looks really interesting! I wonder how badly the Japanese distributors are gonna screw this one up, though, since they renamed the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" to "The Moon" over here. Gonna cause a bit of confusion, I'll bet. :rolleyes:

Nice find. I'll check it out for sure. Loved the production design. It's either a homage to Alien or Ron Cobb is behind the pencils on this one also.

Noticed that, esp. with the suits and interior design.

Taksraven

Reminds me a lot of Silent Running. In fact, I would call it more of a homage to Silent Running than 2001. Heck, the star even looks like Bruce Dern!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running

Vostok 7

Noticed that resemblance too. I love how the robots in Silent Running were guys without legs.

Taksraven

Looks like a film that takes SF pretty seriously. Which is good, because so few films really do. One of the last really "serious" sci-fi efforts I saw was the Clooney version of Solaris and I really enjoyed that. (even though a lot of others thought it was shite.)

Sam Rockwell is one of the best "regular" sci-fi actors that we have seen in a while. (He was great in Hitch Hikers and Galaxy Quest)

Taksraven

IIRC, the spaceships are called back to earth to be used as commercial freighters again and the companies simply had no interest in carrying the forests along with them.

"The Moon" looks very promising. Alien, Outland, it's all there.

I recommend the press kit for this movie, very informative and they talk about all the sources from 70s SF movies.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/moon_presskit.pdf

IIRC, the spaceships are called back to earth to be used as commercial freighters again and the companies simply had no interest in carrying the forests along with them.

"The Moon" looks very promising. Alien, Outland, it's all there.

I recommend the press kit for this movie, very informative and they talk about all the sources from 70s SF movies.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/moon_presskit.pdf

DUDE! A few spoilers in that presskit! A word of warning for those who don't want to know too much about the plot.

Taksraven

Its the new and improved HAL 9000. Actually this looks really interesting so far. Just hope its not one of those movies with so many damn twists & turns that ending either makes no sense or worse, you the view must decide the ending.

God I hate that.

The premise of this movie -- a guy all alone on a prolonged space missions -- is pretty hard to swallow. We all know people go crazy when they are alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, according to the official movie site it looks like the release won't be quite that limited, though there are no overseas dates yet. It's set for 12th June in New York and Los Angeles - check the sites for release dates near you:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/

Be careful with that trailer, though - unless there's a big twist in there, I think it gives a lot of plot away. On the other hand, being touted as a return to cerebral SF, maybe it does have that twist. B))

• 4 months later...

Finally got to see this movie - had to fly to Tokyo and back for it, but it was worth the pain! :p

A very cool movie on a limited budget. The mystery is not as mysterious as it could be, but pretty good nonetheless. Definitely took away some of the pain I would otherwise have felt at the end of another Land of Macross vacation ... :(

• 12 years later...

Firstly, free bump for MOON!

And from the same realm of profound, non target-marketed SF comes the debut movie of Moon's creative mastermind, Gavin Rothery: Archive

I watched it on Prime with, admittedly, low expectations beyond the cool visuals, and the pace is much slower than the trailer makes it look loke, but I was totally blown away on several levels.

While the plot treads familiar waters, the delivery is everything I wished for from a SF movie for adult fans (no exposition dump, comic relief or car chases, for starters). You can tell that the direcor comes from a long love for the genre, and when he revisits the ideas from classic precedessors, he does it with respect and a fresh take (the analog recreation of the Kusanagi creation sequence alone is worth seeing the movie for). The movie creates a convincing world from its limited budget by fantastic art design, and the great electronic soundtrack by Steven Price ties it all together.

I really hope to see more from Rothery in the future; in the meantime, I'll be drooling over his game design portfolio...