Robotech and HG License Debates

Had a VERY interesting chat with one of the RT.com moderators, and got a very interesting fish story out of it.

According to this rumor, which was implied to have originated from Tommy Yune, Warner is courting Big West for some toy licensing to go along with the live-action Robotech movie. Raised a fair few eyebrows in the chat, and then he went a-rambling with some longwinded fantasy wherein Warner Brothers buys Big West to get their hands on Macross.

According to this rumor, which was implied to have originated from Tommy Yune, Warner is courting Big West for some toy licensing to go along with the live-action Robotech movie. Raised a fair few eyebrows in the chat, and then he went a-rambling with some longwinded fantasy wherein Warner Brothers buys Big West to get their hands on Macross.

I also heard a rumor that they wanted to release the LAMR and Shadow Rising near the same time as some collaborative effort. Wouldn't that be confusing for the audience? You see Rick Hunter as a real strapping hotshot pilot in one but then see a gray old man possibly near death in another, with the story going somewhere else. Someone spoiled something for the new audience.

It's not official unless Warner Bros., the real people spending the money and resources for the movie, says it. And if any of it is accurate and news worthy, I would expect it reported by the usual news sites. Until then, everything else are pep talks by fans for fans or by the crew to restless fans.

Guess that's what sums up the Comic-Con panel this year, a pep talk. So far I'm surprised no one but the fansites reported what happened there this year.

The year long waiting game has started again. ^_^

Edited by Einherjar

Had a VERY interesting chat with one of the RT.com moderators, and got a very interesting fish story out of it.

More BS. They already have the rights to produce toys based on the original series, why would they need to negotiate with Big West for them?

The only new news that's been posted in this thread in years is Macek basically admitting that HG did not have the rights to DYRL.

That doesn't make sense to me either, since Harmony Gold has the VF-1 toy rights on this side of the pond.

But it would sound right *if* Warner Bros. wanted to give the VF-1 a very slight modern update and release that updated design as a toy. I'm not talking about a G1 Optimus Prime to Michael Bay Optimus Prime makeover, but more along the lines with what the Mospeada Complete Art Works has done with the classic Ride Armor.

4775306707.01._SX296_SCLZZZZZZZ_V220002562_.jpg

To implement this sort of update on the VF-1, Warner Bros. would need access to the VF-1 intellectual property, and this is where they would need to approach Big West.

But I'm not going to fret over this bit of information. Unless it comes directly from a Harmony Gold officer or someone directly involved with the Robotech LAM, it's all hearsay.

Which thread was that? I'd like to check it out.

The easier thing to do, still, is to just redesign the VF-1.

Seto's post had no mention of the VF-1 and there a lot more mecha covered in SDF Macross then the VF-1. Though it is a long shot that BW would actually agree, I am sure it would be much easier and faster for WB if they could simply obtain Macross mecha designs already modeled in 3d from BW over redesigning them from the ground-up. Paying for the completed designs from BW could easily shave millions and years off of CG production and saving them from the worries of a potential lawsuit from BW down the road.

As for this guy's fantasy of WB buying Big West...He needs to keep his wet dreams to himself.

I gotta a better idea. If Robotech fans like him are so desperate for more Macross why not try actively recruit them to our cause of ending HG's embargo on Macross? At the very least we should recommend them to buy Macross toys from VFTF1's webstore.

I think it'd be far more likely that WB would court BW so that they could keep the story of Macross more in tact and not have to alter it so radically. I would imagine that WB would want to use updated designs that look nothing like they did in the cartoons but the story of Minmay's bringing culture to a warrior race would remain very attractive.

Which thread was that? I'd like to check it out.

No thread, I'm afraid... chatroom on RobotechX. I manifest my evil self there from time to time on the request of some very optimistic friends of mine who are holding out hope that Robotech isn't completely dead.

No thread, I'm afraid... chatroom on RobotechX. I manifest my evil self there from time to time on the request of some very optimistic friends of mine who are holding out hope that Robotech isn't completely dead.

But there is a similar thread where I see you're making the fan spokesperson actually work hard for the title. That's some crazy unwavering trust people have.

Edited by Einherjar

That doesn't make sense. It'd be more efficient and effective IMO if WB just paid another company to do a re-design for toy Licensing.

It'd be more profit if WB bought out HG and a lot cheaper. They'd gain ( i think) all of HG's properties including macross.

But WB doesn't handle their properties very well.

I think it'd be far more likely that WB would court BW so that they could keep the story of Macross more in tact and not have to alter it so radically. I would imagine that WB would want to use updated designs that look nothing like they did in the cartoons but the story of Minmay's bringing culture to a warrior race would remain very attractive.

If WB wanted to they could re-write, re-title it, market it ,have it dubbed in Japanese and call it Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

If WB wanted to they could re-write, re-title it, market it ,have it dubbed in Japanese and call it Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

That's what I said a couple of pages ago, in addition to paying people like Kawamori and Mari Iijima to endorse the film there.

I don't see how Hollywood bigwigs would really be attracted to a plot that sets a young girl up to become humanity's biggest celebrity of all time only to be dumped for a female military officer or become a slurm that makes out with her cousin moments before teaching alien Spartans culture though singing. I also wouldn't even be surprised if WB/HG decided to remove all the good aliens including Mira and simply rewrite Dana and Maya as the daughters of Rick and Lisa.

As for aiming for updated designs that look nothing like the cartoons that will be easy if they don't mind giving the Veritechs the hideous bayformer transformations.

It'd be more profit if WB bought out HG and a lot cheaper. They'd gain ( i think) all of HG's properties including macross.

But WB doesn't handle their properties very well.

It would be a lot cheaper for WB to simply buy Robotech/Macross licenses from HG and BW rather then spending I don't know several hundred million dollars to acquire two no wait three companies when you count Tatsunko's Macross rights, just to obtain the rights to make a few Live Action movies on an anime franchise with little popularity outside of Japan.

That's what I said a couple of pages ago, in addition to paying people like Kawamori and Mari Iijima to endorse the film there.

I would only hope the majority of Japanese Macross fans would be smart enough not to fall for such marketing gimmicks after seeing all the Harmony Gold trademarks in the spots Big West would be.

As for aiming for updated designs that look nothing like the cartoons that will be easy if they don't mind giving the Veritechs the hideous bayformer transformations.

What's wrong with designs that they created?

It would be a lot cheaper for WB to simply buy Robotech/Macross licenses from HG and BW rather then spending I don't know several hundred million dollars to acquire two no wait three companies when you count Tatsunko's Macross rights, just to obtain the rights to make a few Live Action movies on an anime franchise with little popularity outside of Japan.

You'd be surprised at how many people will go see a movie because it looks good. Example Transformers 2 ROTF.

No buy out HG completely Tatsunko would eventually fade into the pages of history. At least in America.

I would only hope the majority of Japanese Macross fans would be smart enough not to fall for such marketing gimmicks after seeing all the Harmony Gold trademarks in the spots Big West would be.

People are stupid when it comes to live action adaptations of childhood shows.They know its gonna be crap but they will still see it. Example Dragonball Evolution

I don't see how Hollywood bigwigs would really be attracted to a plot that sets a young girl up to become humanity's biggest celebrity of all time only to be dumped for a female military officer or become a slurm that makes out with her cousin moments before teaching alien Spartans culture though singing. I also wouldn't even be surprised if WB/HG decided to remove all the good aliens including Mira and simply rewrite Dana and Maya as the daughters of Rick and Lisa.

That's what Robotech fans have always wanted; fighting aliens to extinction with no remorse, taking their women, preserving the MacGuffin(s), and blowing Earth the hell up every few years. The moral? The only good alien is a dead or an allied domesticated one. Also explains why the only aliens/hybrids that get much attention these days are the last or rare female humanoids of their kind. But of course, pure humans like T.R Edwards was always trustworthy. Well, at least Rick Hunter always survives.

I keep forgetting if there's an overarching theme besides that that doesn't get shoved away by the next generation. Does Protoculture even matter anymore? But hey, why think hard on stuff like a message or plot when you're getting a lot of action and intrigue everywhere. Basically, a Macross-really-really-light. Oh crap, this really is a Michael Bay film waiting to happen. :lol:

Hmmm... you have a point but didn't WB put up the cash for the Matrix?

And look how much it made with its Zany, awesome, Science Fiction story.

That's what Robotech fans have always wanted; fighting aliens to extinction with no remorse, taking their women, preserving the MacGuffin(s), and blowing Earth the hell up every few years. The moral? The only good alien is a dead or an allied domesticated one. Also explains why the only aliens/hybrids that get much attention these days are the last or rare female humanoids of their kind. But of course, pure humans like T.R Edwards was always trustworthy. Well, at least Rick Hunter always survives.

I keep forgetting if there's an overarching theme besides that that doesn't get shoved away by the next generation. Does Protoculture even matter anymore? But hey, why think hard on stuff like a message or plot when you're getting a lot of action and intrigue everywhere. Basically, a Macross-really-really-light. Oh crap, this really is a Michael Bay film waiting to happen. :lol:

I think I'm going to need a full set of scuba gear for the ocean of sarcasm I just encountered. :blink:

I think that this is what should happen:

Holywood stops putting crap live action movies on screen and instead fills the cinemas with anime. EVA 2.0 instead of Transformers 3. Stuff like that.

I'm tired of seeing PEOPLE in movies :p

Pete

What's wrong with designs that they created?

The thing that really bugged me was how the bayformer designs had dozens of moving parts and flimsy looking car panels coming out from their rear ends, but somehow had structural integrity greater then any tank. Compare them to the transformations found in anime that use a few simple moving parts that look much more believable and stronger then folding car panels: http://www.3dblasphemy.com/OPTIMUS/OPTIMUS.html

No buy out HG completely Tatsunko would eventually fade into the pages of history. At least in America.

Buying out HG doesn't change the fact that Tatsunko would still have international merchandising rights to Macross SDF and DYRL. Besides if WB bought Tatsunko they could they could always make Tatsunko/DC Crossovers. Who wouldn't want to see Berg Katse and the Joker pair up against Joe the Condor and the Batman?

People are stupid when it comes to live action adaptations of childhood shows. They know its gonna be crap but they will still see it. Example Dragonball Evolution

Sure there will always be curious fans who will see Live action adaptions, but I am talking about Japanese Macross fans realizing WB's movie for what it will be: a Robotech movie not a live action adaption of Macross with all the deculture.

That's what Robotech fans have always wanted; fighting aliens to extinction with no remorse, taking their women, preserving the MacGuffin(s), and blowing Earth the hell up every few years.

Those are some of the things every RoboTrekkie knows:

1: "We come in peace, set Protoculture rifles to kill" is what Roy Tiberius Kirk, Captain of the Super Duper Fokking Enterprise (aka the cool dude in the yellow shirt) always says when he isn't banging green haired amazons from space or making TV history by making out with the black bridge officer in the first interracial relationship in a cartoon.

2: The MacGuffin in the red shirt never dies.

3. Earth is always screwed because the Robotech Fleet Academy keeps producing idiotic commanders like General Hayes and General Lenard. (Lenard may have been bald, but he was definitely no Piccard)

I keep forgetting if there's an overarching theme besides that that doesn't get shoved away by the next generation. Does Protoculture even matter anymore?

There is always a cute chick (or in one case a crossdressing dude) who sings somewhat in tune in every RT Generation.

Protoculture will always matter. The United States of Robotech will allows rely on Protoculture guzzling SDFs no matter how many times Al Gloval argues that Protocuture emissions warm the earth like Zentradi laserblasts in his documentary "The Inconvient Truth: the Crisis of Macekreing Anime."

Hmmm... you have a point but didn't WB put up the cash for the Matrix?

And look how much it made with its Zany, awesome, Science Fiction story.

Only after the huge success of the first Matrix did WB trust the Wachowski brothers enough to write the scripts of the last two really "Zany" movies of the trilogy with no editors and practically no studio oversight.

The Matrix has nothing to do with Love Triangles being portrayed in Hollywood though. I honnestly can't think of ANY Hollywood or primetime TV Series (Reality TV trash like the Bachelor doesn't count) that set up a Love Triangle with two very likable female charaters and a guy who has to pick between the two on the spot. In Hollywood Love Triangles tend to be resolved with the woman becoming attracted to the guy in her "friendzone" shortly before getting married. They don't have Love Triangles with a guy turning down the young girl he had a crush on for the last two years after realizing being with her was only a fantasy and that he has an actual relationship with the woman he once hated as "Old Sour Puss."

The thing that really bugged me was how the bayformer designs had dozens of moving parts and flimsy looking car panels coming out from their rear ends, but somehow had structural integrity greater then any tank. Compare them to the transformations found in anime that use a few simple moving parts that look much more believable and stronger then folding car panels: http://www.3dblasphemy.com/OPTIMUS/OPTIMUS.html

Buying out HG doesn't change the fact that Tatsunko would still have international merchandising rights to Macross SDF and DYRL. Besides if WB bought Tatsunko they could they could always make Tatsunko/DC Crossovers. Who wouldn't want to see Berg Katse and the Joker pair up against Joe the Condor and the Batman?

Sure there will always be curious fans who will see Live action adaptions, but I am talking about Japanese Macross fans realizing WB's movie for what it will be: a Robotech movie not a live action adaption of Macross with all the deculture.

Those are some of the things every RoboTrekkie knows:

1: "We come in peace, set Protoculture rifles to kill" is what Roy Tiberius Kirk, Captain of the Super Duper Fokking Enterprise (aka the cool dude in the yellow shirt) always says when he isn't banging green haired amazons from space or making TV history by making out with the black bridge officer in the first interracial relationship in a cartoon.

2: The MacGuffin in the red shirt never dies.

3. Earth is always screwed because the Robotech Fleet Academy keeps producing idiotic commanders like General Hayes and General Lenard. (Lenard may have been bald, but he was definitely no Piccard)

There is always a cute chick (or in one case a crossdressing dude) who sings somewhat in tune in every RT Generation.

Protoculture will always matter. The United States of Robotech will allows rely on Protoculture guzzling SDFs no matter how many times Al Gloval argues that Protocuture emissions warm the earth like Zentradi laserblasts in his documentary "The Inconvient Truth: the Crisis of Macekreing Anime."

Only after the huge success of the first Matrix did WB trust the Wachowski brothers enough to write the scripts of the last two really "Zany" movies of the trilogy with no editors and practically no studio oversight.

The Matrix has nothing to do with Love Triangles being portrayed in Hollywood though. I honnestly can't think of ANY Hollywood or primetime TV Series (Reality TV trash like the Bachelor doesn't count) that set up a Love Triangle with two very likable female charaters and a guy who has to pick between the two on the spot. In Hollywood Love Triangles tend to be resolved with the woman becoming attracted to the guy in her "friendzone" shortly before getting married. They don't have Love Triangles with a guy turning down the young girl he had a crush on for the last two years after realizing being with her was only a fantasy and that he has an actual relationship with the woman he once hated as "Old Sour Puss."

Admiral Hayes

Supreme Commander Leonard

Get the ranks right.

Admiral Hayes

Supreme Commander Leonard

Get the ranks right.

Oh, give the guy a break. It's a less harmful error than, say, "Carl Macek runs ADV and has run it since it started" or "Carl Macek made an early test version of Robotech in 1984 that spliced in megazone footage (an entire year before Megazone was finished)" or "real Macross fans think that Macross II is the best sequel and that Kawamori had his head up his ass when he relegated it to an alternate universe."

Now THOSE would be real boners...

Its cool Gubba we all make mistakes.

My bad on Admiral Hayes rand and misspelling Leonard's name. Leonard is referred to as both general and as Supreme Commander within the Master's Saga and HG's Official Robotech Timeline though. :p

Under pressure from government leaders, General Anatole Leonard (Supreme Commander of the Army of the Southern Cross) orders an immediate retaliatory strike against the counsel of some of his advisors. The resulting attack against the Master's mothership is a complete failure.

Oh, give the guy a break. It's a less harmful error than, say, "Carl Macek runs ADV and has run it since it started" or "Carl Macek made an early test version of Robotech in 1984 that spliced in megazone footage (an entire year before Megazone was finished)" or "real Macross fans think that Macross II is the best sequel and that Kawamori had his head up his ass when he relegated it to an alternate universe."

Now THOSE would be real boners...

I was not trying to be rude, I was just saying what I remembered about the ranks of the two characters in a matter-of-fact way. I could be very rude if I want to, though :p

I've seen that video before. And it does look nice. But it would it have been as cool shown on the big screen?

Would you have been convinced that this was a alien sentient robot in disguise as a vehicle. would you have been impressed or just meh they did that back in 1985 and they could have done a lot better.

Also toy engineering has come a very long way

Me. Every time some one says let make a DC fighting game I keep thinking of MK vs DC. That and the Joker is too Psycho for that universe.

But they will still see it. Be it legally or illegally. They will still some how see it.

Even if it is crap or if its been re-worked to the point it can pass as a SDFM movie.

Because Love triangle part sound more like romance comedy* and not a Sci-Fi action movie.

WB will try to market it as a summer action film trying to get their target demographic of 13-20 yr olds.

No accounting for taste. :)

It terms of action scenes. ^_^

Except for the last one too much like DBZ.

*when I think about it.... it sounds like part of the plot from American Pie 2

Leonard is referred to as both general and as Supreme Commander within the Master's Saga and HG's Official Robotech Timeline though. :p

Gosh, maybe someone should pay them to clear up confusion like that on their website.

ZING!!! :lol:

Seriously though, information in general for Robotech is treated as a privilege you have to buy, not a right. All because they couldn't animate any of it.

Edited by Einherjar

Gosh, maybe someone should pay them to clear up confusion like that on their website.

Seriously though, information in general for Robotech is treated as a privilege you have to buy, not a right. All because they couldn't animate any of it.

Does that mean if someone pays them enough, they'll explain the SDF-2 fiasco? Or why Dolza shouted "PROTOCULTURE!' when he saw Rick and Lisa kissing?

The SDF-2 just shows the lack of talent behind the "production" of Robotech. Honestly, a group of us here could put our heads together and easily find a better way to mesh these three shows together than they did.

Does that mean if someone pays them enough, they'll explain the SDF-2 fiasco? Or why Dolza shouted "PROTOCULTURE!' when he saw Rick and Lisa kissing?

I assumed stuff like that was explained in the novels or comics, does anyone really know? Unfortunately, I guess that counts as privileged information you have to pay extra for.

I've seen that video before. And it does look nice. But it would it have been as cool shown on the big screen?

Would you have been convinced that this was a alien sentient robot in disguise as a vehicle. would you have been impressed or just meh they did that back in 1985 and they could have done a lot better.

Also toy engineering has come a very long way

I wasn't trying to say they should totally reuse the old g1 transformation, the video is just a comparison to the bayformer transformations. I admit I am impressed with the CG artists for modeling all the individual parts and animating all those complex mechanisms, but from the standpoint that they are supposed to be violent giant robots locked in a never ending war they look way too fragile to survive any combat let alone jump onto freeways at 80 mph in mid transformation. Honestly, if I was a Zentradi going against any Bayformer I would just jam a giant sized wrench or two into all those tiny gears that make up their joints and then laugh as I punch out all the thins paneled armor and rip out all their internal parts piece by piece.

Me. Every time some one says let make a DC fighting game I keep thinking of MK vs DC. That and the Joker is too Psycho for that universe.

I was thinking of a movie or an animated series, not a crossover game. I also think the Psychotic Joker would fit right in with those evil Galactor goons that gun down everyone from babies to the disabled elderly with Thompson Machine Guns and Nazi Lugers for fun.

Nah, General Leonard being the Supreme Commander isn't confusing at all. When Eisenhower became the "Supreme Commander of Allied Forces" and the first Supreme Commander of NATO after WWII he was still a 5 star general and was often addressed as General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of Allied Forces or NATO. The "Supreme Commander" is merely a title appointed to the senior commanding officer, in the US military there is no actual military rank higher then General of the army which is granted to the senior 5 star General at the time. Interestingly enough the US military never used the Rank of "Field Marshal" instead like several other countries do simply because as the first 5 star General George Marshall didn't want to be addressed as "Marshal Marshall." Back to Robotech though: Leonard is the senior 5 Star General and he gets the title of Supreme Commander by default because he is the old man who has been in the military the longest.

I will explain the mysteries for free. :lol:

1. The SDF-2 was nowhere to be seen because it was going number 2 at the bottom of the lake to have its privacy.

2. Dolza just believed what his parents told him: that kissing would create Protoculture. Its just like when parents today tell their children that kissing creates babies.

Edited by Freiflug88

The SDF-2 just shows the lack of talent behind the "production" of Robotech. Honestly, a group of us here could put our heads together and easily find a better way to mesh these three shows together than they did.

Kinda like "Southern Cross takes place a hundred or so years later ona colony world that comes across aliens that turn out to be alien modified decendants of previous colonists." Oh wait, that's the original story..

or

"Mospeada takes place..." no that would just turn out to be the original story too... Hmm, they couldn't possibly have gotten away with leaving the stories significantly "more" intact could they?!!

Nah, General Leonard being the Supreme Commander isn't confusing at all.

It was a callback to what Seto said about what it would take for HG to update their site. I doubt they really care about specifics anymore, especially when they made most of everything made between 1986 to 2006 not count. It gives them the opportunity to be more ambiguous about what really happened with Robotech.

It's because on Dolza's homeworld, you give a girl a protoculture flower of life BEFORE kissing her.

Actually - now that I think of it... this is a good point. How did Robotech explain the whole culture shock thing and the whole protoculture thing if in Robotech protoculture was just this fuel?

maybe I shouldn't ask...

Pete