My New Display Cabinet!

phatslappy

I got a great deal on some Billy display cabinets from Ikea from some dude, so I bought em. But two of the doors have busted glass. :( anyways, I've filled them up with about 90% of my toys. It's really cool. It has height extensions that almost take it to the ceiling. Then the top shelves are glass, and all three shelves have a light. Fortress Maximus caused a lot of space to go unused unfortunately because of its height. I got several of them acrylic leg display stands from deadzone although I could probably use a few more. But all in all, it's coming along quite nicely I think.

post-4-1068355895_thumb.jpg

Wow, looks great. If it hasn't been for the TV, I'd probably thought it's a toy store display. Just out of curious, how much did you paid for the cabinet?

Well, I paid 250 total for those three shelves (with 2 broken glass doors) and two more shelves that are a little less wide but are also Billy style. They don't have doors but do have the height extension and lights.

But no, no wifey here...

But no, no wifey here...

Lucky sucka!!

I have two of the tall Billy shelves, and one of the mid sized ones. But the two tall shelves are being used in conjunction with the CD storage shelves, and the Billy tv stand etc as part of my entertainment center. I passed on the doors when I got mine, but they look pretty nice.

Looks like you put glass shelves in the tops??. Those aren't standard with the Billy, where'd you get them?

And what are the height extensions, are they Ikea as well?

Nice! I'm looking for some display cabinets myself. It looks like I'm going to end up spending around 400$ buck to get what I want. You got a great deal! I really like how it almost fills up the entire wall. The movie book poster looks pretty cool hangin above the wall aswell.

A very nice display cabinet, and a VERY impressive collection of toys. BTW who was that Autobot you got on teh very top left hand corner of the whole display? The shuttle that transforms into a bird and a tiger? That was my favourite autobot from the series, man it's been a long time? Does he still exist in stores so I can find one for myself?

A very nice display cabinet, and a VERY impressive collection of toys. BTW who was that Autobot you got on teh very top left hand corner of the whole display? The shuttle that transforms into a bird and a tiger? That was my favourite autobot from the series, man it's been a long time? Does he still exist in stores so I can find one for myself?

I know I'm not phatslappy but thats Skylynx and he will be another one of those who will mostl likely not be reproduced as like jetfire he is not a a takara original mold. At least I don't think so. What company made Skylinx first? I am pretty sure he was not a hasbro original.

I got a great deal on some Billy display cabinets from Ikea from some dude, so I bought em. But two of the doors have busted glass. :( anyways, I've filled them up with about 90% of my toys. It's really cool. It has height extensions that almost take it to the ceiling. Then the top shelves are glass, and all three shelves have a light. Fortress Maximus caused a lot of space to go unused unfortunately because of its height. I got several of them acrylic leg display stands from deadzone although I could probably use a few more. But all in all, it's coming along quite nicely I think.

Where can I find to purchase this cabinet? It looks nice it has an asian style to it. What are the measurments for it?

thanks

Sick Display cabinets. If that was my room I'd never leave. BTW someone should revive the old display cabinets thread. Maybe even start a pinned thread on what types of display cases are out there, and what types of things should be considered when purchasing one.

Thanks for all the kind words. Each of the display cabinets are 31 1/2 inches wide by 79 inches high. The height extensions (which I'm quite sure were also purchased from Ikea) add an extra 14 inches to the height. The glass shelves, I'm also quite sure they sell those at Ikea. They are really neat because they have rubber caps that cover the pegs in the shelf wall. I've seen Ikea sell glass shelves, so I don't see why this would be any different for them. My other two shelves are missing a couple of shelves, so I'm thinking of getting glass ones for those. But no toys on there. Just crap (a.k.a. books). Nope, I don't collect air jordans. I just have a few pairs is all that I wear around. I know people who will spend a couple hundred on a pair; not me though. I used to have all the 1/60s. I liquidated most of them and I've only decided to keep the ones with fast packs. I am going to get the ostrich and elint in 1/60 though. And yes...no 1/48 yet. I am leaning towards purchasing a low viz if i ever can find one. I'm not too keen on the 1/48 (although I do like it very much), it's too much plastic for the price IMO. So I will probably only purchase one or two 1/48 at the most. I am planning to get the 1/48 Hikaru with the fast packs as long as it comes in a single package. ahh the Transformers at the bottom, yes my collection of MISB G1 TFs. :) and the MPCs...the 1 is missing Rick's fighter. Solscud and I bought it together cuz I just wanted the box. Let's face it, the toys are crap. I think it would be awesome to have a pinned thread on display cabinets! Actually, there's one company that makes these killer display cabinets. Of course each cabinet is like 3 grand. Kevin from Valkyrie-exchange has the link to it. He kept on giving it to me and then I'd lose it like the dumbass that I am. But I'm planning on getting some from them in the near future...next time I move, I'm dumping these suckers and moving up. Either that, or I'm gonna have them custom made.

BTW, Jonwayne, that is an awesome display cabinet you got there. With the lights and all that. VERY COOL. Somebody likes gundam

Edited by phatslappy

Very nice setup! I would love to tear into some of those boxes! :D

The glass shelves are available at IKEA for $5 each (including 4 pegs with plastic caps). I replaced all the wooden shelves* in my Billy cabinet with glass. It's setup with from top to bottom with 2 glass, 1 wooden, 2 glass and the bottom. I have lighting installed in the top and the bottom. Check the link in my .sig for pictures.

* The middle shelf is structural, therefore it can't be replaced.

Excellent setup man......may I ask. How much did you get that VF-1S poster from? (wasn't that only available from the GOLD BOOK)

:ph34r:

I paid like 30 bucks for it. For some odd reason, I managed to get it outside of the gold book, AND the poster has absolutely no folds in it at all! I bought it like 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember where I got it, but it's the only one I know of that has no folds.

i hate

-being poor

-having no room in the bedroom

-being stuck in my parent's house for another 3 months (the bright side to this is the fact i dont have to pay rent)

very nice shelves PSL!

wow. looks neat. and to share, here's my display cabinet:

http://www.katoots.com/modules.php?set_alb...lbum.php&page=1

There's more to be added to it, but that is only until I have the time to do the kits. Anyway, I hope the link works.

That is so awesomwe!! Where did you get those cabinets? Does anybody have a link to a good display cabinet store?

Those lights are so cool!

thanks! i got them at a local shop here in singapore. i didn't want to get those cabinet with spotlight as i'm very afraid that the heat would damage the toys. so i got the one that i have now. but cleaning these cabinets can be quite a headache as it's mostly glass and stain can be seen easily.

Edited by jonwayne

That is quite the attractive display.  Shows off your toys in a classy way, versus my technique of plastering any horizontal surface with them.  Of course I think I might have a few more then you.  But you have Liveman so it balances out.

Oh, is that a DLP TV?  One of the Samsungs?

I have quite a bit that's not shown. All the original Bandai/Takatoku 1/55 valks, Taka SDF1, and a bunch of TFs. nowhere practical to display them (including my 4 Jetfires), so I just opted to leave them out.

I don't know if it's a DLP tv, but it is one of the samsungs. It's a Tantus Digital 40 inch and it's about a foot deep.

Edited by phatslappy