Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.5

azrael

Pre-Ordered my set of armored parts for Alto (at Overdrive), but definitely passed on the clear version. Too expensive (even without the markup) and my experience with clear plastic materials tells me there'll be quite a bit of stress cracks. On top of that, I wouldn't want to deal with all the headaches of Bandai's "special coating" chipping/flaking.

It would be a great display piece, but that's what models are for and hell, didn't they come out with a 1/72 model exclusive fold version? I think I'll get that for displaying.

The only thing which would make me consider buying the clear fold version is if they included clear super or clear armored parts with it.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

It would be a great display piece, but that's what models are for and hell, didn't they come out with a 1/72 model exclusive?

Yes, I saw the 1/72 clear version a few days ago in Akihabara, Japan. Just checked today, its still there.

I'm disappointed that there are no external indicators between 1st and 2nd issues of the Alto '25. I had the mixed blessing of ordering through BBTS so when they got the 25F in they got the reissues. Yamato had the courtesy of labeling the old YF-19 when they reissued it with modifications (on top of the packaging having a window so you could see if you knew what you were looking for). Someone needs to tell Bandai that it isn't a case of acknowledging past design mistakes, it's about honesty with the consumer of your (expensive) product.

I really hope they announce another valk DX soon instead of just milking the '25. If they do the '171 next then there's another run of color variants they can rattle off to make the most of the design, where as the '27 only seems to have 2 color schemes. Definitely agree that a CF version of the '25 would be far more preferable to a clear 'fold' version. That's what the kits are there for.

Finally got round to taking my reissue VF-25F out of the box and transforming it to battroid mode last night and here’s what I found: -

1. The crotch lock seems tighter than what I remember from my first issue Alto when it was new. On the reissue, it locked in place with a definite click. Hopefully it will be able to hold up to the weight of the Super Parts better than my first issue, which unlocks very easily. Only time will tell how it stands up to repeated transformations, but I don’t plan to transform it as much as my first release anyway.
  2. No noticeable difference with the angle of the head lasers. Can’t get them to angle out more and not going to risk pulling them excessively either.
  3. No noticeable difference with the neck, but that is OK, as I think the neck is fine anyway on the VF-25F.
  4. The hands are now glued together, no more having to glue the two pieces together like on the first issue.
  5. The ball and socket connection of the hands to the writs seems much tighter on the reissue. On the first issue, the vF-25F, could not hold the gunpod horizontal with just one hand, it would always droop down. On my reissue, it can hold the gunpod straight in one hand with no droop.
  6. Didn't notice much difference with the angle of the wings in fighter mode between first issue and the reissue. If there is a difference, it is minimal.

Graham

2.No noticeable difference with the angle of the head lasers. Can’t get them to angle out more and not going to risk pulling them excessively either.

Quite true, for anyone out there - please do NOT ever remove the head lasers for the vf-25F, I made that sad mistake and found myself struggling for over 40 minutes trying in to put it back in.

I was so dumb enough to think they would pop back in when putting the head in, because it popped out when going to Gerwalk to Battroid mode, and I suffered so much. They have rubber balljoints which make them so durable inside the head - but once they are taken out depression hit me so hard.

I was left with one antenna in the verge of having its main joint broken from the stress I applied when trying to pop it back in the head - the rubber head joint of the antenna is so tick its almost impossible unless shaved off to reinsert which eases the insertion of it. However as I detailed before - one of my antennas is really loose...I feel so depressed...I feel like just breaking it off and try to somehow find another rubber piece which to shave off enough, glue and re-insert but for now, I can only watch this perfect figure be so......fragile...

.......that was a great first post here.....

Anyone else run into the same problem as me? as far as I know everything holds up pretty well and there seems to be no problem whatsoever, just that....

Ahh... that sucks.

Welcome to MW and grats on your first post. QUICK! RUN! While you still can! lol, jking...

Hmm... sorry to hear that you've had that problem with your reissue Alto. Kind of sucks that they tightened up the antenna joints. I have yet to man handle my reissue Alto.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

ahh thanks man, I don't know, I just feel so depressed right now looking at this thing of perfection - Maybe someone should start a warning thread of the dangers of transforming a vf25 DX as to inform and enlighten people so that they may learn from our mistakes....I don't know - Anyways - you think Bandai issues replacements parts or am I better off buying another one? (thinking of keeping this Alto for transforming purposes to maximize transforming experiences and perks......

Sorry to hear about the problems with your valk's head lasers Nine_Breaker, I don't think I've ever heard about Bandai employing Yamato's replacement parts policy, but I hope that I'm mistaken. One of the reasons I like the old 1/55's is that they can be unscrewed and taken apart (although they did start to glue some seams together as I found out when working on my latest project), which made fixes and customs a lot easier from my perspective. Covering the holes on the '25 makes it look smoother, but when problems like this arise it means there are no quick or easy solutions for certain areas on the valk.

I feel sad for you...

Personally, I won't buy a replacement... The MF movie would be coming up this year, so we expect some kind of new variation coming up. And also by then you will have got pass of this moaning period.

About how to fix it... Just a thought... On first thought super glue won't work because you need to force it into the head socket again, and that would break it again for sure. How about use a file or sand paper to reduce the ball joint thing first, so you don't need to apply much force to put it back in?

It would be very floppy then. I would then use some blu-tac to fill in the void and keep the friction.

The nowadays super glue are very strong... I have fixed the ear-piece of my VF-1S (similar to your case that the peg was broken) and it has been intact afterwards (touch wood).

ahh thanks man, I don't know, I just feel so depressed right now looking at this thing of perfection - Maybe someone should start a warning thread of the dangers of transforming a vf25 DX as to inform and enlighten people so that they may learn from our mistakes....I don't know - Anyways - you think Bandai issues replacements parts or am I better off buying another one? (thinking of keeping this Alto for transforming purposes to maximize transforming experiences and perks......

Welcome to the Macrossworld Forums nine breaker.

You're not alone with your disappointment of the reissue VF-25F. I had to learn the hard way that the head lasers are NOT meant to be bent outwards.

Doing that creates stress around the ball joint. Keep in mind that the plastic is already soft. Adding additional wear and tear will break it rather easily.

Here's what I had to do to fix it back up.

1. Create a small hole

2. Fill hole with some type of super glue.

3. Insert a replacement rod into the head laser.

4. Let it set and use some type of sponge material on the other side of the rod.

BTW. The paint application FRAKKING sucks for the minor tampo printing. Scrape it the wrong way and it'll come off VERY easily. <_<

You know what - you are right. ^_^

Thank you so much for the support, I'm not throwing $150 plus on another figure - this can be easily fixed and I will try it too. I will take pics to provide support for others who happen to be in the same situation.

Anyways - I guess tomorrow, no partying or drinking - just staying at home with the crazy glue and blue tac - operation VF25F antenna fix will start up. I'm pretty positive it will be successful, I need to completely tear of the loose, weakened, teared ball joint - re-crazy-glue, sand the ball just enough to fit in again - and reinsert. If loose - blue tac, as I do need the antenna to be fit enough to move between transformations without falling. Problem solved. :lol:

Thank you so much for the support guys - is just, this has been my most expensive item I have ever bought, and man did it hurt so much when that happened....(I got misty, dunno if anyone else reacts the same way, heh)

Will post later tomorrow to let you guys know what happened!!

EDIT: Ahhh, thanks UN Spacy, that was exactly what I had in mind - thank you so much for the support guys, I feel so...loved here (damn self-esteem issues...) and yes I was aware of the paint application problems in this figures - it was the reason I popped off the lasers in the first place - I wanted to re-insert the head in battorid mode because the back of it kept getting scratched against the back piece of the wing frame - however, I soon realized I was so f*cked because the ball joints of the lasers were almost impossible to put back in.....

Edited by Nine_Breaker

when i took the head laser out, it stressed the joint. i pried out the piece on the

head that holds the laser. added super glue to the joint itself to strengthen it. after

it dried, reinserted it into the piece that i pried out and super glued all of it back

onto the head. if you go this route just be careful no to over glue. if you do, keep

rotating the laser so it doesn't dry stuck in one position. btw i use the glue

that is purple and dries clear. it doesn't dry instantly and you have a couple seconds

to work with it.

i'm waiting for a movie version to replace this one since there's barely any changes.

just hope it's an F model.

Edited by Negotiator

wow, I've been busy with real life stuff for a while so I've just caught up with all the DX goodness. I really should wait for the armoreed version but I have to get myself a VF-25S now!!! Pity I missed out on the ones on sale at Overdrive, that was cheap!

Man, between the aussie dollar dropping against the greenback and the rising price of must have toys I will really have to start sneaking my purchases into the toy cabinet.

btw i use the glue

that is purple and dries clear. it doesn't dry instantly and you have a couple seconds

to work with it.

i'm waiting for a movie version to replace this one since there's barely any changes.

just hope it's an F model.

You know the brand name of this glue?? :huh:

Is this another special edition? Looks like a clear version and possibly being released on 18 May? Any info on this?

It was on preorder starting from May 18. Bandai warns about paint-chipping because of the special paint, etc.

15000 yen IIRC... Not very sure.

wow, I've been busy with real life stuff for a while so I've just caught up with all the DX goodness. I really should wait for the armoreed version but I have to get myself a VF-25S now!!! Pity I missed out on the ones on sale at Overdrive, that was cheap!

Man, between the aussie dollar dropping against the greenback and the rising price of must have toys I will really have to start sneaking my purchases into the toy cabinet.

Guppy,

Nice to see you back. Haven't seen you in these parts for ages (years?).

Really, wait for the Armoured Ozma, it will have the improved (longer) neck and improved (straighter) head lasers. The first release of the standalone Ozma VF-25S has a neck that is far too short (doesn't look good in battroid mode and warped too thin head lasers.

If you really can't wait, get the VF-25F Alto, VF-25G Michael or RVF-25 Luca, they are good to go.

Graham

Pass, clear stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Graham

Same here... Have no feelings with the clear-parted model kit too.

I am glad they haven't applied the decal idea onto the DX... I like all of them.

Damn! What did I just suggest?

Just got my VF-25g (Michel custom) and it's my favorite of the MacF valks so far. Out of the box, the shoulders are tight and the hip connector seems tight as well. Time will only tell, though, if the shoulders and hip connector start to loosen. The left shoulder is super tight (!), but this compensates for the fact that the right shoulder isn't as tight and can't hold the gun without the arm being weighed down. I haven't put on the super pack yet since I plan to spray clear coat on the leg armors to prevent the tampo printing from rubbing off. It pissed me off to no end when the tampo print rubbed off on my Luca's left leg armor...and it was only two days old! I also bought the Alto re-ish and the separate super packs. I plan to do the same to Alto's leg armors.

Guppy,

Nice to see you back. Haven't seen you in these parts for ages (years?).

Really, wait for the Armoured Ozma, it will have the improved (longer) neck and improved (straighter) head lasers. The first release of the standalone Ozma VF-25S has a neck that is far too short (doesn't look good in battroid mode and warped too thin head lasers.

If you really can't wait, get the VF-25F Alto, VF-25G Michael or RVF-25 Luca, they are good to go.

Graham

Good to be back.. work, kid, etc got in the way for a bit there.

haha, yeah, work is slow this week and all I've done is toy shop bought the Masterpiece Beta yesterday so the flood gates have opened again. :D

The Michael and Luca I really like but Alto's design looks a little too much like a design from Virtual-On or Aquarion (runs from angry mob)

HJ scan. Appears to talk about modification made to armored VF-25S' head.

I wish I could read the bit on the left edge but it seems that the lasers will be swappable. In other words, you can swap the gummy PVC one for a sharper ABS one which would be included as an extra.

I am contemplating on getting the regular release Ozma and solely display it in fighter mode just for that kick-ass skull emblem. I already have the Armored Ozma on pre-order so that will stay indefinitely in Battriod mode. Anyone can hook me up with a USED Ozma for a reasonable price?

HJ scan. Appears to talk about modification made to armored VF-25S' head.

Let me try to translate:

"The DX Armored Ozma Custom, scheduled this summer, ...the body... modifications... (can't read over the edge and don't understand a certain phrase :wacko: ). This includes the barrels of the head laser would be in hard plastic parts, and in Battroid mode the proportion can be adjusted by swapping a part of the (??? can't read over the edge again!) joint."

Darn! I think the swappable thing is crucial. If we can swap the crouch part and the leg connection joints can be lowered as in the model, along with a longer neck, straight cannons, I don't know what to complain this time.

Darn! I think the swappable thing is crucial. If we can swap the crouch part and the leg connection joints can be lowered as in the model, along with a longer neck, straight cannons, I don't know what to complain this time.

Well, you still can complain! That it's not "perfect transformation" anymore cause you have to swap parts?

:lol:

After watching MacF I really wanna get my hands on some nice Toys... as for now I own two 1/48 scale Hikaru Yamato ones one of 'em with SUper Strike Parts. That all I have and know about Macross and that's why my question ist...

Where to get the Frontier Toys (I live in Europe so which online source is best)? I only know hlj.com but they don't have ozma and alto anymore.

Furthermore I'm afraid of buying something outdated, after ready all that re-isue stuff... would you wait or can I buy 'em without further thoughts and without worrying about buying crap?

I hope it's okay to ask these question, though I might get my answers by reading all the 30 pages and 4 other MacF Dx threads... but feeling somewhat lost, I hope someone can help me faster and reliable.

Thanks in advance

Let me try to translate:

"The DX Armored Ozma Custom, scheduled this summer, ...the body... modifications... (can't read over the edge and don't understand a certain phrase :wacko: ). This includes the barrels of the head laser would be in hard plastic parts, and in Battroid mode the proportion can be adjusted by swapping a part of the (??? can't read over the edge again!) joint."

An update:

I've finally read from another source; the swapable part is the neck joint.

I've seen extendable necks for 25S on sale on Yahoo JP auction; and Bandai doesn't care enough to do that. Just swapped parts... No I am not surprised.

Yeah I know I should be thankful for the hard lasers and swapable neck.

An update:

I've finally read from another source; the swapable part is the neck joint.

I've seen extendable necks for 25S on sale on Yahoo JP auction; and Bandai doesn't care enough to do that. Just swapped parts... No I am not surprised.

Yeah I know I should be thankful for the hard lasers and swapable neck.

So you have to swap out the neck as part of the transformation?!?! The hands I could live with. The shield? Okay, whatever. By this point we'd all let the whole 'perfect transformation' thing go.

But the now the neck? Is anyone at this company even feigning effort any more? A couple of guys can knock out extendable necks as what I assume is a fan project and one of the biggest toy companies in the world can't even take the time while they are already redesigning the head?! If I wanted to swap more stuff on a valk I'd be saving a hell of a lot of money buying the 100's line!

That's Bull$#*t, Bandai. :angry:

Ok... deep breath...

Has anyone got any ideas on where one could get these custom necks sent to the US? Didn't someone mention a couple of threads ago that you could use revoltech joints that DON'T require removing the head every time you want a Battroid?

Heh, when I read that something was swappable on the Armored VF-25S, I figured it might be the neck.

Doesn't bother me too much, I can live with it.

But agreed, that if several members on this site and others can come up with working extended necks that don't need to be swapped, then Bandai should have been able to do the same.

Graham