Adding LED's?

ErikElvis

Just wondering if anyone has ever thought of adding LED's to their valks for display. Might not look bad to have the red and green wing lights with a simulated spot light underneath. And with how small some of these things are it might not be hard to hide. What made me think of this is a lit up fold booster pic which I think yamato used. Would look really cool in a dimly lit display case. What do you think?

Just wondering if anyone has ever thought of adding LED's to their valks for display. Might not look bad to have the red and green wing lights with a simulated spot light underneath. And with how small some of these things are it might not be hard to hide. What made me think of this is a lit up fold booster pic which I think yamato used. Would look really cool in a dimly lit display case. What do you think?

It's a cool idea. But much precision is needed.

would like to see it. setting up the lights to work shouldnt be hard but getting the wires to blend in or look acceptable... that could take a lil skill.

I think I remember the guy used flat wires or something and housed the batteries in the missile pods. It was just the spot lights at the base of the wings not the running lights though, if I'm remembering it correctly.

Well you would have to cut a channel along the wing to place the wires. I would recomend using a couple of strands of wire from a length of thin wire as Led's dont need much current and one or two strands would be easier to hide. If you made two channels you wouldnt need insulation eaither. A small watch battery and a discrete micro switch would be enough. Clip a couple of watch batteries in series and you could have it running for hours with the right resistors in place.

More difficult would be shaping the LED's they would need to be filled and then polished to make them work if you dont polish them you get a sort of murky light. insted of the pinsharp light you'd want to portray nav lights etc.

Edited by big F

• 2 weeks later...

You have two ways to go with your lighting:

1) Use LEDs and fiber optics. The fiber can be fed from one light and the end lenses can colored to what shade you need.

2) If you want my two cents, go to a thrift shop/charity shop and buy electronics REALLY cheap. You cn use TINY surface mount LED's like you find on electronics boards (think thumb drives, tiny radios). They can be glued right into where you need them and fed with hairline wires. Like Big F said, just etch a channel to fit the wires into and paint over them!

I've done lots of LED work on my Daedalus. I've collected a small bag of small surface mount LED's for things like aircraft navigation lights (and red and green are VERY common). - MT

Ha, I was just gonna say that. Back a number of years ago, I bought some conductive paint, and tested it out on a bunch of LEDs I have in a work box. I also have a crapload of resistors, so I was able to figure out how much battery to use vs. LED specifications. The paint works great. The only thing I didn't try was using the conductive paint, then making your connections, then painting over the conductive paint with a regular Tamiya, Testors, etc.

Buy a Toynami Masterpeice VF-1, LED already preinstalled. :p

Graham

Not a bad idea actually. If you have the skills disassemble the Toynami piece and try to see how to go about wiring in a 1/48 if possible. Might be able to pull it off with some skill and luck.

The Toynami LED is a larger bulb lookin LED I believe. If you're looking for less protruding and conspicuous lighting, there are those available all over the net. For that spotlight on the Tomahawk, I can definitely see that being one hell of a custom. When I got mine, that's the first thing I thought of.

I think it has been done on a Hasegawa VF-1 fighter. The modeller used flat wire as someone here already mentioned and hid it between the two wing parts. I believe the most difficult part was to redo the wing tip lights, they were scratch built from pre-coloured acrylic pieces.

Besides the wing tips, very dim lights were also placed in the cockpit main control panel and red lights used for the main thrusters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lightsheet downsides - doesn't like humidity, is organic and breaks down more readily, bulky with power supply (high voltage-high frequency. There are many vendors for it too. Just ask if you're still interested. LED's are still you best bet. Smaller, indefeninte shelf life, low voltage, higher light output. - MT