what stands do you guys use?

lanis

I got myself a yamato vf-1s 2.0 and I want to be able to display it in flight or gerwalker mode in flight. However, I don't want to just let it sit there horizontally which is kinda boring. Is there a good affordable stand that will be able to pose this thing in more dynamic flight positions? ie.e Tilted upwards and to the sides at the same time?

Mog, that is clearly a VF-1A DYRL Max. Also it seems that it is a 1/60 v2 scale... but that valk hasn't come out yet. How do you have that, or did you paint parts blue not wanting to wait? If it has come out already (I know it comes out this month) then HLJ is a bit slow on the uptake.

the ones that are available are the 2.5", 4" and 6" flexy stands... if you have one of each you have the option to combine diff. length rods for more versatility. when you get the flexy stands you still have assemble it... very easy... just place the rods and just screw on the cap over the balls of the rods...

...balls and rods??? :lol:

other options - http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28936

Edited by m0n5t3r

those look interesting. Please give us a review once you've tried them out.

Was there any announcement when the new yamato stands were to be released?

If so, I think I missed it. I don't think I've seen pre-orders for them yet either.

Edit: Nevermind. I re-checked the other thread and saw April.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Stands??........Where we're going we don't need stands.......

Thou has incited the wrath of Schizo's Quote-changing.

"Hkaru, you've got to come back with me!"

"Where?"

"Back to the Macross!"

"Roy, come on, what are you doing?"

"I need fuel!"

"Aw, come on, Roc, I just got back. I was gonna take Misa out for a spin up to the lake in the new plane."

"Take her; this concerns her, too."

"What happens to us in the future, Roy? What, do we become apefaces or something?"

"Uh, no, you and Misa turn out fine. It's your kids, Hikaru! Something's got to be done about your kids!"

"Roy, you gotta back up! There's not enough flight deck to get up to 88!"

"Flight deck? Where we're going, we don't need... Flight decks."

*Converts to GERWALK*

I'm going to have to get more flexistands to use with the vf-25s.

I dislike the ones that come with the DX. They are fixed position so you can't adjust them in any way, the connector and support parts for gerwalk and fighter with those thick, black support beams and such make it look obtrusive and ugly, and doesn't work very well for battroid if you want to use the waist joint.

How are the new yamato stands, btw, for those of you that have them?

I like the Yamato stand, looks almost like a set piece with very strong ratchet and has some diecast. But it doesn't seem to be as versatile as the Flexistand. Though the flexistand doesn't really clamp on the valk in anyway. And hearing some stories of valk sliding off for a shelf dive keeps me from using them. But they do allow cool midair poses.

I like the Yamato stand, looks almost like a set piece with very strong ratchet and has some diecast. But it doesn't seem to be as versatile as the Flexistand. Though the flexistand doesn't really clamp on the valk in anyway. And hearing some stories of valk sliding off for a shelf dive keeps me from using them. But they do allow cool midair poses.

In defense of the flexi's, I've had a bunch of Valks on them, and they've really never slid off. Of course when you're positioning the prongs and trying to set the Valk up in that perfect pose, there's gonna be some potential slipping, sliding, and tipping over.

But once you settle on a pose, the flexis are pretty damn stable.

It's really a matter of how you pose and position them. I've had the Q-Rau and the DYRL Max in the above poses forever. And even after an earthquake, those poses have held.

I've also got a TIE Interceptor chilling on another Flexi, on top of an almost 6-foot tall bookshelf. Granted, the TIE has one small part of it resting on the actual bookshelf (So it's being held in position on four resting points). But it has never fallen off or twisted out of position. . . even after an earthquake.

So yeah, the flexi's can hold their own.

Don't forget too, that the flexi's are distributing the weight of your Valk or mecha onto three (usually) spread-out spots. Most other stands, you're relying on one key connection area to hold the bird up.

Flexi-stands are great with most VFs IMO, but not I've found with the VF-25 DX in fighter mode.

I've found that if you want to have the DX pointing even slightly nose up on a flexi-stand then the rearward centre of gravity of the DX can make it slide backwards off the stand. Had one near disaster already.

Graham

I find that the flexi's still work pretty decently for me. I have a row of my fighters angled down like so:

post-10222-1238650477_thumb.jpg

For the RVF, I flipped out the peg used for locking the crotch piece in battroid and butt it up against the rubber tip so that it helps prevent any forward slide as well as add more surface contact.

post-10222-1238650504_thumb.jpg

For the rear, I just find any nooks to plant the rod tips into.

post-10222-1238650510_thumb.jpg

The way it is right now, it's not going anywhere.

For up angles, I guess it'd be easier to have two of the rods shorter while the front rod is longer and put the front rod tip behind the crotch peg instead of in front so that the very tip of it is situated in the hole and uses the peg as extra security against any down sliding.

^^I believe those round base ones are an earlier, "pre-Los" version.

As Do Not Disturb once said, these round base flexidisplays are for those of us who are too OCD about getting the square edges perfectly lined up. :lol:

^^I believe those round base ones are an earlier, "pre-Los" version.

As Do Not Disturb once said, these round base flexidisplays are for those of us who are too OCD about getting the square edges perfectly lined up. :lol:

good to know...

what about OCD about where the point of the triangle made by the 3 prongs is pointing??? :p

Just wanted to make note that the Version 2 FlexiDisplay stands are even better than the originals. The black rubber tips are now clear rubber tips. The metal bases at the, um, base of each prong are now gone...providing for a seamless, clear acrylic prong with no sacrifice in stability. The useless metal washers are now gone, reducing the visual profile of the stand even more. The thing is pretty invisible now haha.

Also, addressing one of the strucutural flaws of the original, the screws screw into a metal housing now, so there's much less risk of screwing in too tight and stripping the threads.

In terms of packaging, instead of coming in a box, all the parts are flat-packed on a blister card now. Provides for easier storage, but personally I like the boxes...

Edited by emerson

You guys got me convinced to buy the flexidisplay. What's the best length to buy? I have the 6 inch on order but it seems a bit too long for a VF-25

Lost and Found Toys has the license for these, and sells them directly from their website. I believe HLJ and BBTS offers them as well, since Lost and Found sells these to them wholesale.

6" is a little long by itself, but you can mix and match with 4" prongs.

2" is a little short by itself, but again you can match with 4" prongs.

But if you're only buying one size, 4" is probably most versatile.