Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

Saw the G today, really big box compared to the F and the S. The toy itself is the same basic model, with the extra wings with speakers, and that huge sniper rifle just as tall as the VF! The gun "opens" much easier than the DX, you unpluck the fore part of the "closed" rifle, snap in the "open" replacement and you're good to go.

The rifle is really far too big to be 1/100, lowest price in town was HK$310...I was tempted, but given the prce drops for the previous two releases, I think I will wait. Besides...that rifle is freakin' huge! did I say that already?

I am waiting for the price to drop thru HK$270...

Saw the 25F and 25S at HK$198 in Richmond. Ouch!

Will probably pick up a VF-25G today. It's disappointing how the sniper rifle sticks out of the back of the plane in fighter mode.

It's very sneaky of Bandai how they kept that hidden in all the publicity photos leading up to release.

Hate when toy companies make outsize guns for action figures, ala the GNU VF-11B.

Will probably keep this one in GERWALK mode using the speaker pod wings, as my DX VF-25G is already in a battroid mode aiming pose.

Graham

for those who own or do not own the 1/72 plamo, the VF-100's sniper rifle is EXACTLY the same size! I just compared them out of pure curiosity, and was amused at how lazy Bandai was this time

Aoi Mokei has a review on the VF-25G.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/type97/20090531

Looks like there is enough ground clearance for the sniper rifle.

The first side fighter picture seems to show enough clearance but the second one from behind shows the buttstock dragging on the ground once the front of the cannon has been raised into position.

Well, it would be perfectly normal for the 1/100 fighter to not have enough clearance for this 1/72 sniper rifle (confirmed) would take pictures, but my 1/72 is still unassebled. The Aoi Mokei review shows a nose wheel pointing backwards.

Haha, I have an unassembled 1/72 VF-25G too (I assembled the rifle first though). I would like to know which gun is better for the 1/72, the toy gun or the model kit? =P Dunno how much partsforming is in the toy gun though.

the vf-100s rifle is a bit crude compared to the crisp details in the 1/72 model, but it is a bit more "solid"

rifle transformation:

1) unpluck the targeting device, it's just a locking tab, no targeting visor at all

2) unpluck the "closed" fore part of the rifle and substitute with the "open" version.

3) play "Michel has a huge 1/72 rifle"

the rifle has a 1/100 handle, so it's not possible to properly attach it to the 1/72 hand (the bandai guys did know sth was wrong with the scale but only bothered with the handle!)

Beware the battroid mode head laser on the VF-25G, it can get knocked off and lost really easily.

Instead of being attached by a hinge, the bottom of the laser is a ball joint, which lugs into a fairly shallow socket in the head. Fairly gentle contact with the head laser can knock it out of the socket.

Movent is fairly limited, about 10 degrees rearward and 30-40 degrees forward, you certainly can't point the head laser all the way forward or to the rear. :(

Only had the toy out of the box for half a day and managed to knock the head laser off 3 times now, the third time it got lost. :(

Luckily, Bandai supplies a spare head laser.

Graham

New pics (I think) of the Armored VF-25F:

Thanks for the pics!

However, I do not recognize the battroid. Somehow it just does not look familiar to me at all.

The fighter mode and gerwalk mode look okay.

I don't know if I would be getting this one. It does not look as posable as the plain 25F. That's where the fun is. Posability.

Edited by ff95gj

New pics (I think) of the Armored VF-25F:

as odd as it is to say this, I actually kind of like it. Despite the parts forming and the (still) incorrectly positioned hips, I actually like the look of this one more than the DX or even the model version. It looks less clunky compared the DX and more solidly together than the model. If (big if) I do find myself getting an armored VF-25 it will probably be this one.

I like the matte grey-blue color they chose for the armor. Even the model kit preview pictures seem to give off more shine than that. I'm not sure if its because the armor on the toy is still unfinished or what. If only the plane's white could be a little duller too now =/. It practically looks like its gleaming in comparison.

What bothers me most now is just thinking about how many parts you're going to have to keep track of... and that partsformation will require an entire workbench, several parts bin containers and half an afternoon.

Edited by Cent

Definitely thank you for the pics. I was not too sure about this going back and forth but now seeing these pics, I love the way it looks and the color choices. I am going to keep my preorder and maybe even add on a second. Very exciting! Does anyone know if they will release an armored Ozma version too?

Looks nice in these studio shots which will most likely end up somewhere in the box art. I am still disappointed they misplaced the hip joints again, for some obscure reason Bandai is consistently lazy with the VF-100s...and I am not sure at all I am getting any more without improvements.

Tried assembling the 1/72 sniper rifle to the "S" because my "G" is in the battroid mode and I didn't want to bother, and I am sad to inform there is absolutely not enough clearance for the landing gear to touch down. You have to attach the rifle to the shield AND the usual gunpod hole, that makes the tip of the rifle point downwards, hence elevating the aircrat, preventing the nose gear from touching the ground, also, the bulk of the rifle is barely clearing the main gear...so I don't know why I bothered exchanging the model for an attachment I am probably never going to use anyway (the oversized rifle).

Well, it would be perfectly normal for the 1/100 fighter to not have enough clearance for this 1/72 sniper rifle (confirmed) would take pictures, but my 1/72 is still unassebled. The Aoi Mokei review shows a nose wheel pointing backwards.

This is quite ridiculous... The 1/100 rifle is even longer than the 1/72 one.

ridi.jpg

Although the pic is shaky, it can be seen that the light gray one (VF100) is longer than the dark gray one (1/72 model kit).

Lol thats great. Isnt the VF-25F armored also supposed to get the sniper rifle too?... It did for the model kit.

Edited by Cent

This is quite ridiculous... The 1/100 rifle is even longer than the 1/72 one.

ridi.jpg

Although the pic is shaky, it can be seen that the light gray one (VF100) is longer than the dark gray one (1/72 model kit).

I didn't have the chance to compare the assembled model's 1/72 rifle with that of the 1/100, only the aft section was the same size, and that was appalling enough.

The "G" does look good on its own, w/o rifle. I have it on battroid mode since day 1 and don't intend to transform it anytime soon.

The wings are a bit loose due to the detachable feature. The speakerpods look good indeed, although for the price tag, finishing is a bit rough here and there.

Another random issue I noticed is the lack of the second stripe on the wings (the gray stripe across the wing near the flaps), but they did print the gray stripe on the leg, near the exhaust (?).

The visor in the G is supposed to be bright orange, and I see a hint of yellow in the translucent visor in the 1/100, but usually it looks darkish, grayish. from any angle probably due to the dark blue recess in which it is embedded, maybe it is too translucent (does not contain enough orange pigment).

About the Armored F, I doubt it will come with the oversized rifle...more my personal wish than anything else.

Edited by regult

• 2 weeks later...

The prices of the VF-100 series have tumbled here in HK. You can now get the VF-25G Michael for less than HK$200 (c.US$26).

BTW, does anyone know if the cockpit canopy is designed to be open-able? I opened it by accident, but noticed a small crack at the front tip.

Edited by Ivan

The prices of the VF-100 series have tumbled here in HK. You can now get the VF-25G Michael for less than HK$200 (c.US$26).

BTW, does anyone know if the cockpit canopy is designed to be open-able? I opened it by accident, but noticed a small crack at the front tip.

where....

ebay doesnt have any

The August issues of Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby magazine should be out in a day or two.

I'm hoping we'll get some new pics of the VF-19Kai, as I'm dying to see how it's coming along.

Hopefully, if it sells well, it would lead to a VF-19F, VF-19S and VF-19P release as well. I know I'd buy all of them.

Graham

The August issues of Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby magazine should be out in a day or two.

I'm hoping we'll get some new pics of the VF-19Kai, as I'm dying to see how it's coming along.

Hopefully, if it sells well, it would lead to a VF-19F, VF-19S and VF-19P release as well. I know I'd buy all of them.

Graham

I am looking forward to see new pics of the VF-19Kai too, but the current emphasis seems to be on the Ex-gear. And given the recently drastic drop of the prices for the VF-100 line, it doesn't look good. But of cos I hope I am wrong

Graham

Nice! I'm with you Graham, i'll buy the lot of them. :D None of Frontier (well, maybe one), but Macross II, Zero and Plus, bring it! :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

HLJ has updated pictures of the full armored version of the VF-25

Alto:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN959033

Ozma:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956817

Hmm... somehow the armors look detachable, and if they really are, I wonder if the design of the plain VF-25 has been improved...

Edited by Ivan