Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

I did find it for HK$$248 today at around 20:00 at in's point, so maybe we bumped into each other?

anyway, I actually bought it HK$2 more expensive in richmond111, reason? one of the female shop keepers was a b!tch to me, just because I was looking into the box (the little ozma had a bit of a paint problem in the foot) and did not fork the money in 4 seconds, she started complaining, asking me if I knew how much it has coasted her (...WTF?!) I just walked away.

I bought mine around 7:45pm... And yes, IN's Point too! 2/F.

But the shop keepers were polite to me. I looked at the figure for over 5 seconds for sure... Maybe I'm just lucky. Or there's another shop there selling at the same price?

Man, what a waste, at least you could have given the battroid mode a chance! :huh:

Ah, but that's why I purchased a second one! :D

IMG_0775good.jpg

Actually I keep them in fighter mode, first thing I did was to partsform the new "S" into fighter and put it side by side with the "F", and by the way, is that a cannon fodder ZakuII shoulder poking out in the shelf below? I see a green spike :lol:

I couldn't stand those lower legs sagging low so I had to glue them into place. No loss for me since I have no intention of parts-forming it ever again and I have that second one for battroid mode. :)

And yep, that's a MG Zaku II down below. An excellent MG kit btw.

...... Wow... with that much spent on the VF-100's, you coulda just gotten a DX =P

But the VF100s toy has better looking landing gears. ^_^

Plus it's in scale with my Alter Yukikaze and MG Gundams. :)

I know I am in the minority, but I really want to see Tamashii tackle the VF-1 soon, minimal parts swapping. I think it can blow away Toynami's 1/100 versions, as mine both have cracks in their bicep swivels, and while I like the concept, the PRICE especially, and the sheer amount of stuff that they come with, Tamashii can do way better and I crave seeing what they can come up with.

Same here Shin, I love the size of the Toynami's but can't wait for Bandai them to tackle the VF-1. Both my Toynami's have cracked biceps and knees :(

I find the 1/100 VF-25F & VF-25S are defnitely more poseable than the 1/60DX. I've got my VF-25S battroid in a really cool looking reverse grip, semi-crouch, knife fighting pose at the moment.

I definitely don't want to see Bandai tackle the VF-1 in 1/100 scale for a long, long time. I'm not saying never, but let's have Valks that have never been done before like the VF-171, VF-2SS, VF-27 etc first.

Graham

I bought mine around 7:45pm... And yes, IN's Point too! 2/F.

But the shop keepers were polite to me. I looked at the figure for over 5 seconds for sure... Maybe I'm just lucky. Or there's another shop there selling at the same price?

Interesting, then I guess you got yours before I arrived and the one I saw was "the last one" (typical excuse when they don't want to bother taking out more or let you check). Almost run into each other or maybe even did so in the shops around :lol:

Ah, but that's why I purchased a second one! :D

IMG_0775good.jpg

^_^ cheeky cheeky yeah yeah...(quoting "Superbad"), this is one of those "OH, now I see the whole picture!" moments.

I can't stand the sagging legs either, hence the blue-tac, which is not such a strong "glue"...but good enough to play "chase the Vajra" or "where is Michel?" with the HGIF. Also, the 1/100s look around the same scale as the non-scale YF-19 and YF-21 of the Yamato GN-Do non-transformables. 1/100 is a mecha scale, 1/60 is almost an exclusively Macross scale. 1/72 is mil aircraft scale, and if toys were that scale and looked closer to the model kits...you know where my money would be going to.

Interesting, then I guess you got yours before I arrived and the one I saw was "the last one" (typical excuse when they don't want to bother taking out more or let you check). Almost run into each other or maybe even did so in the shops around :lol:

Yeah, I got the "last one" too, at least that was what I thought. :lol:

When I put the changes back to my wallet, I stood outside the shop for another 15 seconds, and I saw the shopkeeper re-arranged the boxes. The kind of gesture that "cuz that is the last box and we don't have anything to put in that empty space now, we re-arrange the goods so it looks even-spaced and nice".

Maybe it's their way of doing business to generate a "stocks going away fast" illusion. But in fact I am less comfortable in buying the last box in the house, for having a feeling that "there must be something wrong with it so the nine persons before me didn't choose this box. And this is cheaper than anywhere else."

Bandai made a few adjustments to the Ozma 25 due to consumer feedback. As per the Tamashii website info here: http://www.tamashii.jp/t_item/t_item.php

1. the crotch block has been strengthened

2. the Gerwalk mode leg part was changed from plug-insert type to a ball-joint type.

Pic: photo_11.jpg

Left side: Alto

Right side: Ozma

Towards the bottoms, Bandai suggests there may be more changes in store for Mikhail's 25 and the Armored 25. And they say that the VF100s line will continue to evolve as it goes along.

I got my Ozma 25. Same parts-formation mess as the Alto. Feels a bit less floppy in battroid mode this time around though. Lower leg issue in fighter mode is still a fail. Once again I used CA glue to fix that up.

Yay!!! Point#2 above was one of my negatives when i did my VF-25F review. I'm glad they fixed it. SHouldb e much better now and easier to click into place.

(EDIT: Bandai did go lazy on this one, the tailfins for the battroid mode don't have "SMS" printed on, I know it would be rarely seen when wings fold in, but there were printed on in the first issue "F"!)

Good catch. Same on my two VF-25S. Bad Bandai, cutting corners!

Good catch. Same on my two VF-25S. Bad Bandai, cutting corners!

B)) I just realized, they also cut corners with the (hides under a table) big macross screws behind the cockpit, they left the vernier thrusters unpainted!

They look really good in Fighter mode, way better landing gear than the DX, thats for sure!!!

Well, since you know your fighters, I'll take your word for it. Been thinking about picking these up since I really want one of these in fighter mode, and the DX's aren't worth the asking price.

Well, since you know your fighters, I'll take your word for it. Been thinking about picking these up since I really want one of these in fighter mode, and the DX's aren't worth the asking price.

Get the VF-100's.

I have the VF-25F so far and am in love with it!

If you're considering to get one, I recommend getting the Ozma version over the Alto version. The gray color makes it look good (IMO) and the fit seems to be better.

Edited by Vifam7

If you're considering to get one, I recommend getting the Ozma version over the Alto version. The gray color makes it look good (IMO) and the fit seems to be better.

Probably, since they had to re-design the Alto version to work with the new FAST Packs version scheduled in a future release.

The other thing about Yamato's new M7 line is that I have a suspicion that the possible VB-6 deal may well extend to all the 1/100 scale of Macross mecha. The latest releases of the GNU series (also 1/100 scale battroids) were limited editions with no future announcements for the Macross GNU line. This suggests to me that instead of competing with each other in the same scales, that Yammie is taking over the 1/60 scale valks, while Bandai is taking over the 1/100 scale.

Yammie is pretty strong in the 1/60 & 1/48 scales toy market, while 1/100 is a fairly profitable size on a secondary line for Bandai. Both can milk the molds with variations on both scales for a very long time, taking a few cues from Hasegawa's marketing strategy with the Macross kits over the years... B))

Edited by Zinjo

Probably, since they had to re-design the Alto version to work with the new FAST Packs version scheduled in a future release.

The other thing about Yamato's new M7 line is that I have a suspicion that the possible VB-6 deal may well extend to all the 1/100 scale of Macross mecha. The latest releases of the GNU series (also 1/100 scale battroids) were limited editions with no future announcements for the Macross GNU line. This suggests to me that instead of competing with each other in the same scales, that Yammie is taking over the 1/60 scale valks, while Bandai is taking over the 1/100 scale.

Yammie is pretty strong in the 1/60 & 1/48 scales toy market, while 1/100 is a fairly profitable size on a secondary line for Bandai. Both can milk the molds with variations on both scales for a very long time, taking a few cues from Hasegawa's marketing strategy with the Macross kits over the years... B))

The problem with your theory is that 1/60 is the DX scale also. The second problem with your theory is that Yamato is only showing one Mac7 toy and it's from a subset of Mac7. The third problem is that the GNU series isn't made to a particular scale (hence the VF-11 being the same size as the YF-19 and YF-21).

Vifam7, I beg to disagree here: yes and no, because in my case, the fit is not better in the Ozma, there is always a gap between the shield and the backplate, I tried all sorts of things (nudging, sanding, cutting the gunpod attachment shorter (yes, it was longer than the Alto one, dunno why!). No noticeable difference in the crotch, knee and feet that I could report.

You are very right on one thing: there are much more painted surfaces on the Ozma, and looks more like a model than the Alto (mostly off-white bare plastic). I like both, and now I am a silly Bandai sponsor, waiting for the next one...even though I don't even transform these partsformable toys!

(EDIT: 1/60 DX??? the Fighter mode looks horrid, total deal breaker for me, Battroid or Gerwalk aren't brilliant either; the 1/100 looks better in Fighter AND Battroid modes IMO, never tried the Gerwalk, but the pictures above aren't half as bad as I thought)

Edited by regult

Vifam7, I beg to disagree here: yes and no, because in my case, the fit is not better in the Ozma, there is always a gap between the shield and the backplate, I tried all sorts of things (nudging, sanding, cutting the gunpod attachment shorter (yes, it was longer than the Alto one, dunno why!).

The issue with shield-backplate is likely with the U-shaped connector piece. Either that or the fingers on the hands is a smidge too long. Try fiting the shield on without the hands. It it fits fine then you know the issue is with the hands. If it still doesn't fit well then you know the issue is with the u-shaped connector piece.

In case anyone was interested - Ozma with lower legs glued/locked in:

IMG_0770good.jpg

The issue with shield-backplate is likely with the U-shaped connector piece. Either that or the fingers on the hands is a smidge too long. Try fiting the shield on without the hands. It it fits fine then you know the issue is with the hands. If it still doesn't fit well then you know the issue is with the u-shaped connector piece.

Thanks man, I know what you're talking about, it is the white u-shaped connector AND the gunpod connector, once the latter is plugged in, the left side of the shield goes away from the backplate. Nothing like that happened to the "F" after some sanding of the u-shaped connector, which did not work for the "S"...anyway, I can live with it, and yours look awesome, but still feel for them...glued forever! (that ZakuII is even more visible now, is it a Version 2?)

Edited by regult

The problem with your theory is that 1/60 is the DX scale also. The second problem with your theory is that Yamato is only showing one Mac7 toy and it's from a subset of Mac7. The third problem is that the GNU series isn't made to a particular scale (hence the VF-11 being the same size as the YF-19 and YF-21).

Actually I recall seeing a Yammie VF-17 somewhere, but can't remember where...

OK, I didn't have time to elaborate that I can't see Bandai giving up it's DX line of Frontier fighters, considering the R&D costs they must have spent.

I also have to amend my comments regarding any future GNU Macross lines, I just found on the web today some announcements for TV versions of the GNU VF-1 that are scheduled to come out this fall. I doubt they are new announcements, only new to me (so much for that theory :rolleyes: ).

Maybe Yammie and Bandai made a deal for only a few fighters. Since the Yammie VB-6 is conspicuously absent from their current line up and it was featured prominently in Frontier. I don't think we'll be seeing Yamato release it, but rather Bandai releasing their own Frontier version probably in the same scale to compliment the VF-100 series of mecha.

The 1/100 Yamato Monster is a bit dated and does not mingle well with the partsformer philosophy of the VF-100s line...Instead of speculating about the Monster deal behind the scenes, let's start speculating when we get the VF-100's VF-171 and "Antares1" VF-27! me wants it, and the Grace custom too :lol:

Edited by regult

The 1/100 Yamato Monster is a bit dated and does not mingle well with the partsformer philosophy of the VF-100s line...Instead of speculating about the Monster deal behind the scenes, let's start speculating when we get the VF-100's VF-171 and "Antares1" VF-27! me wants it, and the Grace custom too :lol:

+1 -- even though I'm really hoping that they will come out in 1/60 first ^_^

B)) I just realized, they also cut corners with the (hides under a table) big macross screws behind the cockpit, they left the vernier thrusters unpainted!

"Circle-Bar Verniers" is the approved MW term.

Just to make this clear, there is no secret licencing deal between Bandai and Yamato to decide who makes what. Licencees such as Bandai & Yamato can only negotiate directly with the franchise licensor, i.e. Big West, over who makes what. Basically Bandai has the exclusive on Frontier for at least the next few years. As I understand it, licences for SDFM, DYRL, FB, M+, MII & M0 are negotiable on a scale/type basis. There is no exclutivity. M7 & MD7 licences were previously Bandai exclusives, but may now be open to others (stay tuned for further news).

Just to make this clear, there is no secret licencing deal between Bandai and Yamato to decide who makes what. Licencees such as Bandai & Yamato can only negotiate directly with the franchise licensor, i.e. Big West, over who makes what. Basically Bandai has the exclusive on Frontier for at least the next few years. As I understand it, licences for SDFM, DYRL, FB, M+, MII & M0 are negotiable on a scale/type basis. There is no exclutivity. M7 & MD7 licences were previously Bandai exclusives, but may now be open to others (stay tuned for further news).

:lol: Thanks for the info!

So M7 license is now not exclusive... So THEORETICALLY Bandai can do their 1/100 VF100, and Yamato for the 1/60.

Why I'm not surprised? B))

I didn't think too much on the "VF-22 swap for VB-6" thing. License rights are not meant to be transferable, right?

:lol: Thanks for the info!

So M7 license is now not exclusive... So THEORETICALLY Bandai can do their 1/100 VF100, and Yamato for the 1/60.

Why I'm not surprised? B))

I didn't think too much on the "VF-22 swap for VB-6" thing. License rights are not meant to be transferable, right?

Theoretically yes. Regarding the VB-6, Yamato's licence is for the VF-X2 version. Theoretically, Bandai could also have a licence for the Frontier version.

Theoretically yes. Regarding the VB-6, Yamato's licence is for the VF-X2 version. Theoretically, Bandai could also have a licence for the Frontier version.

Oooh really? So how come Bandai could block Yamato's VF-22S modification a few years back? Couldn't Yamato just say that they were working off the VF-X2 license? Or is it just that Bandai, having more resources than Yamato, can more or less do what they want?

1) Yamato were never really happy with the original 1/72 YF-21. 2) The VF-X2 VF-19A didn't sell that well. It was never a case of Bandai blocking release of a VF-X2 VF-22.

Ahh ok. I'm sorry then. I was just reading the old reviews on the site about the pre-production YF-21w/ Fast pack version and the VF-22S add-ons (which seemed pretty ready for production) and must have gotten the wrong idea-- afterall the VF-22S pieces were just the faceplate and the canopy replacement, which would have been included with the release at minimal cost, unlike the VF-19A which was an entirely new release.

I hope the VF-0's & VF-2SS are going to come out soon, I have the have the Ozma VF-25, I really like the sculpt & design, even the scale size is good. The parts forming is a bit much, but as other have said, you get used to it. (Its not that hard to do) Plus they are easy as hell to display!! B))