The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Ford resurrects an iconic name for the 2012 Mustang lineup. The Boss 302 uses an enhanced 5.0 liter V8 that produces 440 bhp and 380 lb-ft torque, while the rear drive is tuned to a 3.73 ratio with carbon fiber plates in the limited-slip differential. The stock suspension is replaced with adjustable units with five settings for optimum handling. Complementing the new suspension and Brembo brakes are 19" alloys and 9" (9.5" in the rear) wide Pirelli P-Zero tires. In addition, the Boss is fitted with a subtle, yet aggressive body kit. All of this enables the Boss to reach a top speed of 155 mph.

A limited edition called the Laguna Seca is also available. This variant has the rear seat removed and the suspension and body kit upgraded to those used in the track-only Boss 302R.

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Front-And-Side-2-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302

Would Carol Shelby approve this car?

Other than campaigning a team for Ford in the original T/A series, I don't think Shelby had much to do with developing the Boss Mustangs(?) I think his plate was full between the racing programs for that, the GT40s, and of course the Cobras; not to mention building, marketing and sales for the Mustangs licensed under his own name.

ed: IIRC, I think the Boss--and eventually the Mach I's--were Ford's way of bringing their performance programs more in-house and directly under their control. They in essence cannibalized sales from the Shelby models, and can be partly attributed to the (temporary) end of the association after the '70 model year.

Edited by reddsun1

Does he have to approve the car? Did you have to quote all of those images for your one question?

And BTW, it's spelled Carroll Shelby.

EDIT: Since Wanzerfan has declined to explain himself on this thread, we can easily conclude that he is a complete douchebag.

You can best believe that

He's a Wanzerfan

You always have to wonder

Why he's not yet banned

Hey! Hey! Hey hey hey!

Wanzer Wanzerfan

He had to be a Wanzerfan

Wanzer Wanzerfan

Don't ever be a Wanzer...

Edited by areaseven

For $$ that guy will approve of anything.

For a while, I think ol' Shel--or his legal advisors, anyway--would aggressively pursue anyone that attempted to sell anything associated with his name without his official blessing. There was a period when Cobra replica builders were really in the legal crosshairs.

For a while, I think ol' Shel--or his legal advisors, anyway--would aggressively pursue anyone that attempted to sell anything associated with his name without his official blessing. There was a period when Cobra replica builders were really in the legal crosshairs.

Thats just for use without permission. What I am talking about is, the different GARBAGE cars he has put his name on in the past.

Somewhat unrelated, but I'm reminded of this when I see the pictures here, but I hated the '99-'04 Mustang. But I loved the 2005 redesign. It was a lot sportier while recalling the Mustangs of the late '60s. Come the 2010 model, and I find myself trending back toward hate. It's like they took the basic design of the '05-'09 Mustang, rounded the edges and brought back '99-'04's stupid generic headlights.

I like the new Mustang better, the front end looks a lot nicer now with the thinner grill/headlights. The new Camaro is distinctively ugly while the Challenger has managed to find the uncanny valley of retro car design; it's JUST enough like the original to Be the the least attractive of the three.

I'm not a fan of the tail of the newest Mustang. The rounded edges are a wee bit feminine on an otherwise masculine vehicle... it just doesn't really fit. I'm even less a fan of tailights that blink sequentially. The new Camaro is a big step up from the ones I remember from the 90s but they start to look bloated toward the rear. It's a car I like only from certain angles. I haven't seen a Challenger in person enough to judge. Sadly, I'm at that age in life where every time I see a two door coupe (other than two-seaters) I think "That is so inconvenient... they should just make this a 4 door." Sad... I know.

I'm not a fan of the tail of the newest Mustang. The rounded edges are a wee bit feminine on an otherwise masculine vehicle... it just doesn't really fit. I'm even less a fan of tailights that blink sequentially. The new Camaro is a big step up from the ones I remember from the 90s but they start to look bloated toward the rear. It's a car I like only from certain angles. I haven't seen a Challenger in person enough to judge. Sadly, I'm at that age in life where every time I see a two door coupe (other than two-seaters) I think "That is so inconvenient... they should just make this a 4 door." Sad... I know.

You're not alone, i'm not that old (i am a family man), but with modern global platforms the two door coupe has become impractical since the weight savings and performance advantage just aren't there anymore. The number of coupes actually built on a coupe chassis has narrowed considerably so they might as well dump the super long two doors for more compact and practical four doors and throw some real back seats in because performance won't be effected adversely in the least (in some cases the weight distribution is beneficial). I'll still own a two door coupe if it's built that way from the chassis up (Elise, Miata, TT, GT-R, Corvette, etc.) but those are also cars that either can't accommodate four doors or truly benefit from only having two.

Edited by emajnthis

I too, was a fan of the initial redesign of the Mustang ('04-'05?), as I'd never liked the Fox-body or SN95 versions. Could see '67-'68 in the nose, more '65-'66 in the rear decklid; but it worked. Not really liking the latest iteration though, as it's getting a bit too "confused," trying to meld design cues from too many different versions. Adding the cues from the '69-'70 along the rear beltline makes it look jumbled, a bit too busy.

I just wish they'd stop calling them pony-cars. They're all just too damned big and heavy to be considered along those lines--especially the Chev and the Challenger.

Can you imagine if Ford had stuck to the formula that made the original Mustang such a success, i.e. youth-oriented styling, based on the current economy car (then Falcon) platform? That'd mean: a performance-oriented coupe on the Focus(?) platform. *shudders* Oh sure, those cars have been hot-rodded by enthusiastic and resourceful folks. But it's a whole different animal. The RWD "sporty" coupe as we know it would almost certainly have been relegated to automotive history.

Edited by reddsun1

Can you imagine if Ford had stuck to the formula that made the original Mustang such a success, i.e. youth-oriented styling, based on the current economy car (then Falcon) platform? That'd mean: a performance-oriented coupe on the Focus(?) platform. *shudders* Oh sure, those cars have been hot-rodded by enthusiastic and resourceful folks. But it's a whole different animal. The RWD "sporty" coupe as we know it would almost certainly have been relegated to automotive history.

Hmmm, you'd end up with something along the lines of a Focus RS. Okay, it isn't RWD but it's about as a heavy as a first generation Mustang and a lot of fun. Which isn't all that different from the original formula.

2009FordFocusRS1-2.jpg

Hmmm, you'd end up with something along the lines of a Focus RS. Okay, it isn't RWD but it's about as a heavy as a first generation Mustang and a lot of fun. Which isn't all that different from the original formula.

True. But it probably appeals to a very different segment of buyers than those considered "loyal" Mustang fans. I'd wager they'd take to the front lawn of the Dearborn offices by the thousands with pitchforks and torches, if they were expected to accept it as a replacement to the Mustang-proper.

Edited by reddsun1

Ah, you mean those boxy Dodge hatchbacks back in the '80s. Yeah, those were utter crap.

it wasn't just that, for every good product Shelby put his name on there are 10 ridiculous ones.

Its a brand that Ford people always want to throw into a conversation like it holds some weight. IMO, Ford stands on its own in its history, and with the proper leadership, could do it again.

I don't think the Focus is the appropriate car to look at, I think it's the Taurus (although I'm not sure they're making them any more). The Focus is a compact by international standards, the Falcon was more compact than most but it's essentially a mid-sized sedan. The Taurus also could nicely accomodate a V8 and RWD... of course, it also nicely accomodates 4 doors... as did the Falcon. The ballooning weight is because of safety features like airbags and other modern equipment. I dunno, if they just added two small suicide doors to all the sports cars to make them 4 doors I'd be happy. I always felt like such a schmuck when people were crawling into the back seat.

I don't think the Focus is the appropriate car to look at, I think it's the Taurus (although I'm not sure they're making them any more). The Focus is a compact by international standards, the Falcon was more compact than most but it's essentially a mid-sized sedan. The Taurus also could nicely accomodate a V8 and RWD... of course, it also nicely accomodates 4 doors... as did the Falcon. The ballooning weight is because of safety features like airbags and other modern equipment. I dunno, if they just added two small suicide doors to all the sports cars to make them 4 doors I'd be happy. I always felt like such a schmuck when people were crawling into the back seat.

Definitely owes to a cultural shift in what constitues as "compact." While the modern Aussie Falcon can be considered mid-size (or to they class it full-size in Oz?), the original Falcon of Detroit's more hedonistic days in the 60's ("bigger is better," styling trends shifting emphasis towards low-and-wide) was considered an economy model, and rightly so. Compared to mid-size models like the Fairlane, and full-size road tanks like the Galaxie, it was positively miniscule. Sure, people were rallying and racing Falcon Sprints back around '62 or '63, but Ford didn't consider the image of thier entry level model hip or sporty enough, with its squared, "econo-box" styling; hence Lee Iacocca et. al. converging to give genesis to the Mustang...

Well...yeah. The recent Acura designs are not eye pleasing. If it is a futuristic sharp design that they are going after, then they are doing it wrong.

I don't know, the TL HAS gotten pretty homely, and don't even get me started on the ZDX...but I think the TSX is one of the best looking sport sedans out there.

Yes, it's overweight, overpriced and overrated, but the Bentley Continental GT is undergoing a makeover for next year. Aside from a complete exterior redesign, it will have a reworked 6 liter twin-turbo W12 that makes 567 bhp and 516 lb-ft torque - catapulting it from 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and achieving a top speed of 198 mph.

The Continental will also receive a "more-efficient" 4.0 liter V8 designed and built at the Bentley factory, making it less of a Vokswagen than the W12 version.

As with all current Bentleys, expect none of us to own one.

2011-Bentley-Continental-GT-Studio-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Bentley-Continental-GT-Studio-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Bentley-Continental-GT-Dashboard-1600x1200.jpg

2011-Bentley-Continental-GT-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

(Quote-protected because Wanzerfan is a dumbass.)

2011 Bentley Continental GT

Chrysler originally planned to kill off the Dodge Viper due to their ongoing financial problems, but last week, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne announced that it will return in 2012. No concept sketches have surfaced yet, but sources point out that the new Viper will share platforms and components with the über-sexy Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.

Chrysler Surprises Everyone with Unexpected 2010 Dodge Viper Revelation

2012 Dodge Viper to Be Based on Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

Yes, it's overweight, overpriced and overrated, but the Bentley Continental GT is undergoing a makeover for next year. Aside from a complete exterior redesign, it will have a reworked 6 liter twin-turbo W12 that makes 567 bhp and 516 lb-ft torque - catapulting it from 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and achieving a top speed of 198 mph.

The Continental will also receive a "more-efficient" 4.0 liter V8 designed and built at the Bentley factory, making it less of a Vokswagen than the W12 version.

As with all current Bentleys, expect none of us to own one.

(Quote-protected because Wanzerfan is a dumbass.)

I suppose what makes them remarkable is their blistering performance numbers--in spite of their opulence and heft? It's like they're working "automotive voodoo" or something; they seem to defy physics, moving so much mass so quickly.

I haven't seen Aston Martin's line-up in a long time but the last few times I've seen them in person I thought they looked way too similar to Mazda's Miatas. If they still look similar I'd have no problem taking a Bentley over an Aston Martin.

Not impressed with Bentley, at all.

Never understood why anybody would choose a Continental GT over a DB9/DBS or Gran Turismo :unsure:

Ever see a 7 ft tall guy drive an AM?

I haven't seen Aston Martin's line-up in a long time but the last few times I've seen them in person I thought they looked way too similar to Mazda's Miatas. If they still look similar I'd have no problem taking a Bentley over an Aston Martin.

Go to the eye dr. right now.. You are a danger to yourself and others.

Ever see a 7 ft tall guy drive an AM?

I'm only 5'8" and I thought the Continental GT interior was cramped up. Hell, if you go find the Top Gear episode, you'll see that Jeremy Clarkson seems to be uncomfortable driving it.

As for why some people would drive a Continental GT over an AM or Maserati, it's either merely a matter of choice or just a fashion statement. Perhaps their neighbor or friend already owns a DBS, so they'll try something different. Or maybe they drive one just because several football players own one.

The problem with the Continental GT is exactly the same as with the new Mini Cooper: it's a car sold only by its badge. Sure, it handles well and goes fast, but it is not really a Bentley other than having the badge on the front end. Though it is assembled in England, majority of its parts come from Volkswagen - especially the chassis platform and W12 engine, which are shared with the Volkswagen Phaeton.

At least the other models (Brooklands, Azure, Mulsanne) are genuinely Bentley, with their legendary 6.75 liter turbo Rolls Royce V8.