You people want love, here's some love:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-tre.../southern-cross

Speaking of Southern Cross......... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-tre.../southern-cross

Looks like someone at Anime News Network has been regularly lurking at MW. :lol:

Anyways its sad really that I myself only know Southern Cross as the Masters section of Robotech. :( I should really make an effort to watch it. :(

Well, those are all okay, but you guys should really check out THIS: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-tre.../southern-cross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I came across this topic as a welcome surprise. I personally as a 16 year old student from the UK am always disappointed at the lack of coverage for Southern Cross. It is one of my personal all-time favourite anime series along with Macross, Votoms and Zeta Gundam. Like many other fans, I was introduced to Southern Cross through Robotech. The show to me is one of the most engrossing sci-fi sagas with an incredibly bittersweet ending (no doubt due to its sudden cancellation <_< ) and characters I have come to adore (especially Lana ^_^ ) Even though I am in the minority, the Spartas hovertank is one of my favourite mecha designs and the Arming Doublets (character armour) I loved too especially with the variety of soldier groups. Honestly, I could go on forever about the show but I would save that for another time. Still those looking for a loving fan of Southern Cross, no problem you've found one.

P.S. I am not a fanboy, I respect all other opinions so don't worry B))

IMO, the crisis the toy companies faced back then is probably the same we are facing now - an economic crisis. If I remember correctly, 1986 is about the time Japan's huge property bubble just burst (huge in the sense that the small plot of Japan emperor's land is theoretical worth more than the whole USA :wacko: ), sending lots of firms into bankruptcy. (They are all linked)

No that was 1991.

+1 Southern Cross fan here. I am currently watching ADV original version in Japanese. The last time I saw it I was like 8 or 9 (Bobotech Ver.) so this is like brand new to me. I got a used copy for $15!!! The mecha are awsome especially the Bioroids, Aurorans and the Arming Doublets. I had just finished watching Bobotech the Macross Saga and decided to watch the original source material of the "second" pt of BT. I'm sure glad I did, the show has great drawn mecha characters a little military and sci-fi action here and there and great music. With so many cool cartoons in the 80's it may explain why this show was a little popular with the masses. For some reason watching this anime reminded me of ALIENS, not sure why.:)

Samurai inspired body armor look cool. As for the series itself it kinda sucked cause there were no good males rolemodels. Great female characters for little girls to look up to but what about little boys? Guys from the 15th were all sorta losers and Zor/Segfried(?) was basically Rio from Jem.

Samurai inspired body armor look cool. As for the series itself it kinda sucked cause there were no good males rolemodels. Great female characters for little girls to look up to but what about little boys? Guys from the 15th were all sorta losers and Zor/Segfried(?) was basically Rio from Jem.

Yes, but little boys who want to see other little boys (or slightly older boys) driving giant robots, they've got many, many, MANY options. Little girls who like giant robots can turn to Southern Cross, and...where, exactly? Iczer-One? Dangaioh? Gall Force?

I don't see anything wrong with a single show portraying non-sex-kitten girls piloting robots, wile all the guys are second-rate. Think of it as equal time for Sayla getting the Gundam's foot chopped off. ^_^

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I came across this topic as a welcome surprise. I personally as a 16 year old student from the UK am always disappointed at the lack of coverage for Southern Cross. It is one of my personal all-time favourite anime series along with Macross, Votoms and Zeta Gundam. Like many other fans, I was introduced to Southern Cross through Robotech. The show to me is one of the most engrossing sci-fi sagas with an incredibly bittersweet ending (no doubt due to its sudden cancellation <_< ) and characters I have come to adore (especially Lana ^_^ ) Even though I am in the minority, the Spartas hovertank is one of my favourite mecha designs and the Arming Doublets (character armour) I loved too especially with the variety of soldier groups. Honestly, I could go on forever about the show but I would save that for another time. Still those looking for a loving fan of Southern Cross, no problem you've found one.

P.S. I am not a fanboy, I respect all other opinions so don't worry B))

I'm glad to see that there are other fans of Southern Cross after all. I thought for a moment I'm the only one on Earth. :lol:

I see in you another Mika Doi fan too. (Voice actress of Lana, Houquet and Misa). And still actively working today. I'm very glad.

I will always link her with Lana, Houquet and Misa. Nobody else will do. Just like Fujiko should always voiced by Masuyama Eiko and Belldandy should always be voiced by Inoue Kikoku (she was substituted for a few episodes of the Mini-goddesses for some reason, and I recognise straight away it's not her.) And Mari Iijima will always be Lynn Minmay.

I know that at times it's difficult for the actor involved to be so stereotyped. (Christopher Reeves (RIP) is always Superman to me). It does mean that the actor did such an outstanding job to make that character his/her own. So in that sense, it's the best compliment for an actor.

Edited by blacklotus

I see in you another Mika Doi fan too. (Voice actress of Lana, Houquet and Misa). And still actively working today. I'm very glad.

I will always link her with Lana, Houquet and Misa. Nobody else will do. Just like Fujiko should always voiced by Masuyama Eiko and Belldandy should always be voiced by Inoue Kikoku (she was substituted for a few episodes of the Mini-goddesses for some reason, and I recognise straight away it's not her.) And Mari Iijima will always be Lynn Minmay.

Funny, you read my mind there about Mika Doi, :ph34r: I guess I just adore the characters she plays. At the moment I am desperately looking for the 2CD Soundtrack of Southern Cross as well as the This Is Animation art book. I was just wondering does anyone know what the art book is like as I am dying to look up more info on it.

Funny, you read my mind there about Mika Doi, :ph34r: I guess I just adore the characters she plays. At the moment I am desperately looking for the 2CD Soundtrack of Southern Cross as well as the This Is Animation art book. I was just wondering does anyone know what the art book is like as I am dying to look up more info on it.

I have the TIA book, but it's packed away...and I haven't looked at it in many, many years. It's fairly standard...lots of shots from the show, some original art, line art, sheet music, and some really bizarre pudgy-loli pics.

So it's a 2CD soundtrack. Do you happen to have its ISBN number? I'm also sourcing for it in 2nd hand stores. I was hoping to visit Japan this year with the info. But the global econ crisis and the surging increase in YEN vs S$ (35% up) means I have to postpone indefinitely. Still it will be good for me to have the info, which I will use when I finally visit Japan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Would have rather had them stick more with the samurai style the IMAI files original showed.

'Corporate' and future toy releases got involved and poof, you get transforming mecha - none of which look like the belong.

Helicopter in space? Did we ever get to see it blades even turning in helicopter mode?

The egg plane that sort of changes modes? Nice mini pistol for it too. This design makes me cringe even to picture.

Hovertanks were close to good, but they should not have had open cockpits. And they look better in all green!

If you've never read the Robotech comics that tell a sep Masters Story, they're pretty good.

I like the heavily stylized art:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robotech-1997-7-NM-/310485337347?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item484a5e4503

I'm in the middle of watching Southern Cross for the first time right now...The original subtitled version..not Robowreck...I gotta say....it's tough staying awake and reading the subtitles..LOL But I do LOVE the Spartas Hover Tank mecha..would love to have that in about 1:35 Scale Yamato type offering!

Edited by derex3592

I have not watched it since I first got the DVD set in 2005-6 but I remember I really liked the music. I also remember the characters motivations and actions felt more natural. There was some forced dialogue on the RT version. The whole story also makes a ton more sense.

While I never found Southern Cross particularly good, I would say that the original is MUCH better then the RT adaptation

Agreed, when you watch the original SC story it makes far more sense than the RT version with its back & forth from the SDF-1 remains to the approaching Invid connection.

There is a tiny bit of love for Southern Cross in the current issue of EX Taishuu, if anyone is interested. They have a feature where they break down a lot of the popular 70s and 80s mecha and assign how much it would cost in reality to develop and build them. I don't remember how much they said the SC armour would cost.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/EX-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A8%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E5%A4%A7%E8%A1%86-2012%E5%B9%B4-11%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7/dp/B009DJGMII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351229576&sr=8-2

I still need a copy of the THIS IS ANIMATION Southern Cross.

If anyone has one to sell let me know. I love this show. Sure its not Mospeada or Macross but it was pretty out there...

I have it. The book still shows up on eBay or Yahoo Japan auctions from time to time.

I think Southern Cross is cool. But then I grew up with it as part of Robotech...Good cels from Southern Cross and Mospeada are really hard to find.

• 4 weeks later...

So watching the show again.

It starts kind of slow. The music is also really good but certain battle scenes they play this kind of weird laid back music.

About episode 6-7 it starts to pick up the pace.

Animation is really consistent like Mospeada. Never gets to the level of say Pineapple Salad from Macross but it also does not suffer from the plague of Virgin Road.....

• 2 weeks later...

Overall still a good show.

Starts slow and kind of silly..much like ZZ Gundam. By about episode 10 it kicks into the real story. You can tell near episode 18-20 they had to wrap it up. The end is pretty sudden.

If I have one complaint it is that some of the battle music is just not....battle enough. Seems more like 70's disco club.

In some ways the Japanese release is superior but without its integration into Robotech I would have never seen it and the changes were there to facilitate that story.

I still haven't seen the Japanese version but one of my goals for the end of next year is to have custom figures of Dana, Mari and Nova done and maybe a hovercycle.

It would be nice to get statues/figures for some of these characters. I just noticed an old hovercycle kit on Yahoo Japan a month or so ago. The Southern Cross hovercycle gets even less love than the Mospeada bikes.

cough.. hovertank...cough

pretty please?

I remember having a toy hovertank. I don't think it was that good.

Edited by JetJockey