Berttt's Monster Thread

Berttt

I don't really know why i have suddenly decided to launch into this, but it seems the time has come to build my copy of Mike's 1/72 HWR-00-MKII Monster Kit.

At this point I should mention that I am a fairly ambitious builder. By that I mean I have all sorts of plans in my head that often outstrip my capacity as a mediocre model builder. Here are my plans for the Monster:

1) Detailed feet
2) Rescribed panel detail throughout
3) Rifled Barrels
4) Missile Hatch covers for the arms (thanks Sean aka HWR-MKII)
5) Smoke Dispensers

I'll add in any more ideas as they come to me. Also for the first time ever I will be recording how many hours this bloody thing is going to suck out of my life and it'll be interesting to see how long it'll take.

So with no further ado here is the first installment:

0000571la4.jpg

Above are all the parts laid out on my work bench. Monster by name and Monster by nature - this thing is huge. I think I will have to add a figure or some ground vehicles into the mix to give it some sense of scale.

0000573fy4.jpg

0000572jb5.jpg

Here are some close ups of the parts. Mike did an awesome job on this kit and to be honest I reckon it was a steal at something like USD$250.00 when it was first released (pretty sure it was about that). But as good as Mike's interpretation is there are just a few bits here and there I'll change. It seem that as a victim of AMS I can't leave anything well enough alone these days.

You may have noticed some other kits in the background, well please indulge me as I post a close up of some of them.

These critters will be competing for time with the Monster so I may be posting images of their progress from time to time - after all it is a monster thread:

0000574ct1.jpg

1/35 Dragon Pz.IV Ausf D
1/35 Italeri 234/3
1/48 Tamya Panther Ausf G
1/72 Moscato Scout Pod
1/72 Club M VF-11
1/24 Lancia (Batou'side from GiTS)

But on to the Monster. Remember that bit I mentioned about being ambitious? Well here is your first taste - detailed feet. Really there is nothing wrong with Mike's version, but I wanted mine to look like the different part of the foot were separate rather than one integrated unit.

1000024ra2.jpg

Above is Mike's foot OOB with some notes as to what I plan to do with it.

destroidmonsteryo4.gif

destroidmonsterrearqm0.gif

destroidmonsterdetailsil3.gif

And here is some line art to give you some idea of what I am chasing (all graciously stolen from the Macross Mecha Manual- thank Mr. March). But the big question is can I pull it off. It'll either be a nice feather in my cap - or one of the greatest Macross Modelling travesties your likely to witness

So at the first oppurtunity I took a hacksaw and dremel to the feet and found myself with this:

1000025fj7.jpg

As you can see there is still quite a bit of cleaning up and making everything symmetrical, but I think I may be in with a chance. I have an idea in my head for some detail around the toe with some nice hydraulic rams and structural bits. As a reference for this I have been Googling for images of heavy earth moving equipment - there is some nice inspiration there. Most of the work I do here will have to take into account the weight of the kit. So I will be building in a fair amount of sturdiness to whatever I come up with to make sure this thing lasts.

That's it for this update and with a bit of luck I'll find some more time soon to press on. AT this point I would like to say that nay feedback is most welcome - by that I mean I am not some pansy who's going to poo his pants if he get some constructive criticism. After all I'll need all the help I can get.

Total time so far:
2 hours of planning and cutting.

Cheers,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

Subscribed!

Berttt after seeing the pic with the little dude standing in front of the Monster, you really are going to need the scale figure you mentioned! Hey if you need some 1/100 or 1/72 decals to throw on this one, please shoot me an email and I'll send some stuff down.

And be careful with keeping track of the time spent, it's going to get scary! I sometimes wonder what life would be like if I skipped every episode of the Simpsons I've ever watched, and practiced guitar or did more Japanese instead...! :) Sugoi desu ne!

This is going to be very interesting,. Good luck, you sound like me a mediocre modeler with grand plans. ;)

Also this is the biggest Monster until Yamato finally if ever gets theirs out right?

Oh and subscribe.

I will follow this one close...

By the way Bertt; don't give it up..even if you have to stop building it for a while make sure you keep yourself encouraged enough to get back to it..

Looking good. I just hope you didnt compromise its ability to stand. The feet are wide but i think the model still leans forward a little at times. Be sure you firmly reattach the toes with brass or aluminum tube so if it does lean forward it can take the weight.

For the missile arm covers you may need to flatten out the area on the backside of where the 3 holes are to get the backing plate to sit flush. For the arm seams where everything joins i used automotive grade bondo on all of them. Not that the fit was bad but i wanted something that could take the flex and weight bus still be scribed.

For the smoke dischargers you will have to make your own. Off the shelf units from 1/72 tank kits are too small.

Man all this is making me want to strip mine down and redo some things on it now.

Edited by HWR MKII

Aww gee thanks fellas tongue.gif

A small update for today. I had been both wondering how to represent the detail of the foot and dreading the thought of all the resin that wold have to be removed when I realised I could make this easy on myself.

Now the detail I am talking about are the little vents/fins on the heel of the monster (colored in red on my first post) when I realised all I had to do was chamfer that area and glue on some strip steyrene and viola! So with no further thought I got out a bastard file and went to town with the following results:

1000030ia7.jpg

1000027sh6.jpg

I pencilled in some lines so you get the idea - though ignore the ones that run along the "sole" of the foot as that was me getting carried away.

It has only been roughed in for now but I should be able to achieve what I was after. Now it just needs a little finesse.

Cheers, and thanks for the support.

Edited by Berttt

Berttt, if you don't mind the suggestion, I scratch built one of these in 1/100 scale (before my 1/200 days ^_^ ) I found some Plastruct 1/200-N scale stairs in a local shop back then and knew they would come in handy. They worked perfect for the vents in the foot. Lay them in horizontally and they look just like vents and have the added benefit of already being in uniform distances. Cut or sand one of the rail sides off and they will bend into almost any curve (like around the heel area). Just a suggestion that saved me a lot of time! - MT

Interesting idea... I like your modding plans, and look forward to seeing more. I agree that some textured corrugated plastic sheet would be much easier for the foot vents than filing in each line. If you weren't in OZ, I'd gladly send you some extra I've lying around ;)

Thanks P5 but I have some already. I had planned on using it except I realised that rather than the lines radiating from a central point they would all run parallel.

Cheers,

Berttt

Forgot to add the time count

2 .5 hours

Very nice, its great to see someone else trying to gussy this baby up.

I added a little detail here and there but yours is pretty ambitious.

One thing thats kept me from finishing is I would like the rear hatch to be openable.(is that a word?)

I added some magnets to help but coming up with a hinge system has stopped me dead in my tracks.

Until I saw that line art you posted.

Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Nice looking job so far. :D

Was looking forward to building my own monster, but with the closure of thread "1/72 Resin Monster Model!, better and cheaper than the existing kit" it looks like the boat has sailed! Sterling has dropped so much in value even Mike's reasonable price may have broken the bank!! :(

I'm really dissappointed, but this thread will go some way towards restoring the balance.

To all you folks out there, have a great Holiday and all best wishes for 2009.

Graham, Liverpool.

Hi,

Nice looking job so far. :D

Was looking forward to building my own monster, but with the closure of thread "1/72 Resin Monster Model!, better and cheaper than the existing kit" it looks like the boat has sailed! Sterling has dropped so much in value even Mike's reasonable price may have broken the bank!! :(

I'm really dissappointed, but this thread will go some way towards restoring the balance.

To all you folks out there, have a great Holiday and all best wishes for 2009.

Graham, Liverpool.

Yup once any deal in US$ was a good one for us in the U.K

Ah sorry to hear. Though there is still a chance Mike may do a second run.

No updates lately as I have to make some room on the bench for this thing, so I am finishing off a couple of kits

Edited by Berttt

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates lads but I have been clearing the decks. So far I have finished a 1/35 Pz.IV D that has been sitting on my bench for a couple of years, as well as a rebuilt Sulaco, a 1/48 Panther G plus I started and finished Wave's Jigabachi.

A mate of mne bought a Revell Venator SD and after seeing it I decided to get one myself as a lighting project. As things stand I am about 30% done but should have it finished by the 12th (when I go back to work).

After theat I will get back to the Monster - I promise :)

Edited by Berttt

Sorry about the lack of updates lads but I have been clearing the decks. So far I have finished a 1/35 Pz.IV D that has been sitting on my bench for a couple of years, as well as a rebuilt Sulaco, a 1/48 Panther G plus I started and finished Wave's Jigabachi.

A mate of mne bought a Revell Venator SD and after seeing it I decided to get one myself as a lighting project. As things stand I am about 30% done but should have it finished by the 12th (when I go back to work).

After theat I will get back to the Monster - I promise :)

Wow mate, you have been busy! Are there pics over at HSMS?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so here are some fast and dirty snaps of the kits I have been working on instead of the monster.

First up is Dragon's 1/35 scale Pz.IV Ausf D made up of about a million pieces and done up in 21st Panzer Division colors when they were in Tunisia. This kit had been on my bench sine January 2007.

post-641-1232451413_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451251_thumb.jpg

Second up is a Tamiya 1/48 Panther G in a 3 colour scheme. On the bench since september.

post-641-1232451606_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451621_thumb.jpg post-641-1232451631_thumb.jpg

Wave 1/72 scale Jigabachi. I started this the day I finished work last year as I have a tradition where I start a kit with the intention of finishing it before I go back to work the following year. This is the first time I have managed it. This is an awaesome if expensive kit and I finished it in 5 days over 7 hours.

post-641-1232451787_thumb.jpgpost-641-1232451798_thumb.jpg

Lastly the Revell AG Rebuplic Star Destroyer - and destroyer of modelling plans. A mate got one of these and it hooked me into getting one as well. It is currently sucking up a lot of time and is filled fibre optic and LEDs. I would say it is about a month off being finished, and unfortunately for the monster I am not working on anyhting else until it is done.

post-641-1232451997_thumb.jpgpost-641-1232452018_thumb.jpg

So a neat little amount of kits off my bench considering I was only off work for 3 weeks and lost over a week of that to family and other commitments. Though I just realised I don't have any of the Sulaco I rebuilt as well. With that lot out of the way I only have a GiTS Lancia Stratos, Regult Scout, VF-11 and SdKfz 234/3 left on my bench - besides the Monster of course :)

Cheers,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

Nicely built kits. Love the weathering effects.

Just one quick comment. This thread is more like a display of your (WIP) collection and not the main topic. Are you ever getting back to the MKII Monster?

I really would like to see the mods you have planned for this behemoth.