Favorite Macross Dogfight

dreamweaver13

Favorite Macross Dogfight  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite macross dogfight?

• Hikaru vs. Kamjin (SDFM)
    • Hikaru vs. Britai (SDFM)
    • Max vs. Millia (SDFM)
    • Max vs. Millia (DYRL)
    • Alto vs. Ozma (MF)
    • Alto vs. Brera (MF)
    • Alto vs. Klan Klan (MF)
    • Alto vs. temjin (MF)
    • Roy vs. D.D. Ivanov (Zero)
    • Shin vs. Anti-Unification Pilot (Zero, ep. 1)
    • Roy vs. Anti-Unification pilot (Zero, ep 1)
    • Shin vs. Nora (Zero)
    • Isamu vs. Guld (Plus)
    • Guld vs. Ghost (Plus)
    • Roy vs. Zentraedi in Saturn's rings (DYRL)
    • Alto/Brera vs. Vajra Queen/Grace (MF)
    • Basara vs. Chlore/Fleet of Strongest Women (M7)
    • Gamlin vs. Gavil (M7)
    • Klan Klan vs. Brera (MF)

Simple question, choose your favorite! :)

If the pilots faced off several times, take your pick as to which battle you want to use as your reference.

I'm having some trouble nominating other dogfights from M7, since all i can remember is Basara going around in circles avoiding missiles again and again and again.... and again. :p

Suggestions for M7 dogfights (or if i missed any from the other series) are more than welcome. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Max vs. Milia (DYRL) and Isamu vs. Guld still remain my top two and it's always a challenge to pick a favorite. I picked the Macross Plus fight this time. Next up comes anything with Roy in it. It's not so much what happens, but the way Roy makes it happen. Even in the episode of SDF Macross where he perishes, ealier in the episode he dispatches a Q-Rau and nonchalantly gazes at it's burning hulk going down in smoke as he flies by. I always loved Roy's style when it came to combat. :)

I also really like the first major encounter between Alto vs. Brera with Klan and Mikhail in the mix. That was great fun. Lots of moves and counter moves, hits and damage, near misses and in-your-face smackdowns. It had it all in the proper proportions. Not long or drawn out, not unrealistically complex and boring, just plenty of down and dirty mecha mayhem in lovely CGI with fine scene composition and that unique Japanese style. Awesome stuff.

Isamu vs Guld. This is the definitive Macross Dogfight. It has all the key elements required to be the best. It has gorgeous aerial fights, urban combat, Itano Circus a plenty, ejecting FAST Packs, a little humor, two well matched adversaries in a battle where neither can gain the upper hand, plenty of build-up to the duel and all set to the best Kanno BGM track. Although, I think the thing that makes this the big winner over any of the others is the fight runs the length of Dogfight, so is a solid 4-5 minutes of intense mecha p0rn. The length of the sequence makes everything else a teaser by comparison.

Edited by Vinnie

Isamu vs. Guld is hard to top. Other Macross series have dogfights, but and DYRL came a step past to making Max vs. Milia a real highlight, but only Plus goes the whole way into making the one on one dogfight the center of the combat experience and it shows.

I want to give Hikaru vs. Britai an honorable mention since it was totally awesome, but I can't call a fight on the ground with only one aerospace vehicle involved a "dogfight." Best hand-to-hand fight in the franchise, though, and was what drove home the reason to have transforming fighters anyway.

Max vs. Milia (DYRL) and Isamu vs. Guld still remain my top two and it's always a challenge to pick a favorite. I picked the Macross Plus fight this time. Next up comes anything with Roy in it. It's not so much what happens, but the way Roy makes it happen. Even in the episode of SDF Macross where he perishes, ealier in the episode he dispatches a Q-Rau and nonchalantly gazes at it's burning hulk going down in smoke as he flies by. I always loved Roy's style when it came to combat. :)

Same here. My 2 favorite dogfights of all time (and not just in-macross). in the end, i had to choose Isamu vs. Guld. i remember how my jaw dropped when i watched it the first time (son, what's that thing on the floor??). still the standard by which all other dogfights are measured, IMHO. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

I want to give Hikaru vs. Britai an honorable mention since it was totally awesome, but I can't call a fight on the ground with only one aerospace vehicle involved a "dogfight." Best hand-to-hand fight in the franchise, though, and was what drove home the reason to have transforming fighters anyway.

yeah certainly deserves an honorable mention. not a "dogfight" technically speaking, but how can i even think of not putting it in this list? hence i just added the "confrontation" qualifier. hehe. :D

I believe this is the second or third time a "favorite" dogfight poll has shown up.

Isamu and Guld's dogfight is always #1.

I don't think Frontier had too many memorable dogfights.

Yeah, Macross Frontier had a lot of very close ones...

The fight between Alto and Brera in Episode 9 was almost it, and between Alto and the Quamzin guy was almost awesome, and between Alto and Ozma towards the end was close, and Alto vs Pixie Sq in the very beginning was close too...But they never lasted for more than a few seconds, so always fell horribly short of the standards set by others in the franchise.

Isamu vs. Guld is hard to top.

However, I do agree with Mr. March on Alto (+ Michel & Klan) vs. Brera (round 1). The whole move+counter-move dynamic of it is fun to watch and Alto catching the arguably superior Brera off guard shows you why Michel had to put the simulator on its highest difficulty during training.

Speaking of which, in the poll, you've gotta be specific on which Alto vs. Brera dogfight you're talking about since they did fight twice.

Edited by d3v

Speaking of which, in the poll, you've gotta be specific on which Alto vs. Brera dogfight you're talking about since they did fight twice.

from the OP: "If the pilots faced off several times, take your pick as to which battle you want to use as your reference."

I can't be more specific coz i'll run out of poll slots.

The one between Guld and Isamu in ep 4 easily, but for a number of reasons. Its not just the great mecha action, its the abusive banter between the two, the whole history between the pair climaxing and the fact that they are using such great fighters.

Next one I would give it to would be Hikaru Vs Britai. A short but great fight highlighting the strength of the Zentradi and Hikaru's determination to keep going. (like when he fires the horn lasers when he is pinned to the wall.)

The fight between Ivanov and Fokker in Episode 2 was another great battle. It would have been enhanced if the pilots were communicating with each other. It would have been interesting to hear what they had to say.

As for the best in Frontier, one of the best would have to be the one between Klan and Brera in episode 9. A brief encounter but a lot of fun, especially when Klan things she has nailed him. Love that bit. Then straight after that when Brera goes against Alto, another classic encounter. To be honest though, I love all of episode 9, even Alto's struggle with the Vajra in that one is a classic.

Also love the one from episode 7 when Alto is stuck in the Vajra mother ship and is going up against the Yellows. First a direct hit in the back, then in the arm, then he changes his gunpod to the other arm ( a nice little detail that I think a few missed) and then getting his head blown off and going into gerwalk. Another classic little encounter.

Taksraven

I also really like the first major encounter between Alto vs. Brera with Klan and Mikhail in the mix. That was great fun. Lots of moves and counter moves, hits and damage, near misses and in-your-face smackdowns. It had it all in the proper proportions. Not long or drawn out, not unrealistically complex and boring, just plenty of down and dirty mecha mayhem in lovely CGI with fine scene composition and that unique Japanese style. Awesome stuff.

Totally agree with that one. The whole episode was brilliant (especially the little pre-opening titles snippet) One of the best confrontations in Frontier and the Vajra were not even involved! But then again, Valk on Valk action always works well in Macross. I love to see it, and Frontier had some truly classic moments.

Oh, that reminds me, the confrontation between Ozma and Alto in Northern Cross was a truly classic frontier battle. Great action, great music, great dialogue, you can't go wrong with it.

Taksraven

D.D vs Roy. Which one? All of them I guess. Breathtaking.

Agreed. Say what you will about Zero (I loved it, but I seem to love almost anything Macross), you can really sense Itano making it all as crazy and fast as possible in order to top himself...and succeeding magnificently. :D

As for the best in Frontier, one of the best would have to be the one between Klan and Brera in episode 9. A brief encounter but a lot of fun, especially when Klan things she has nailed him. Love that bit. Then straight after that when Brera goes against Alto, another classic encounter. To be honest though, I love all of episode 9, even Alto's struggle with the Vajra in that one is a classic.

Missed that one! added Klan vs. Brera to the poll. :)

The problem with the poll is that there's at least two scenes where Isamu and Guld really go after each in Plus (three or four if you wanna count the testing montage and the time when Guld lays the smackdown on Isamu's VF-11).

But pretty much, any dogfight scene in Plus is a solid choice for #1.

The problem with the poll is that there's at least two scenes where Isamu and Guld really go after each in Plus (three or four if you wanna count the testing montage and the time when Guld lays the smackdown on Isamu's VF-11).

But pretty much, any dogfight scene in Plus is a solid choice for #1.

Oh come on. if you're making a case about the best dogfight in macross history, are you even gonna look at any isamu/guld showdown other than the last one? :rolleyes:

Oh come on. if you're making a case about the best dogfight in macross history, are you even gonna look at any isamu/guld showdown other than the last one? :rolleyes:

Looks like Isamu-Guld wins, even if they are using paperplane....

Even though it wasn't a "dog fight" I loved the action from the first two eps of Frontier. Guilliam pursuing the Vajra into the city ship, ejecting and getting crushed, Alto taking over his VF-25, Ozma rescuing him, Alto's homage to Hikaru/Minmay as he protects her in Gerwalk, Michael covering him as they escape, Ranka almost being lost in the vacuum of space and Alto's daring rescue of her, and then Ozma finally gutting the Vajra with his Battroid's knife... just an incredible scene.

As for Zero, you could pick almost any dogfight. I can't think of any one particular standout. They were all well choreographed and definitely raised the bar.

Guld/Isamu still wins hands down simply for the build-up and execution of it. An entire series leading up to that final showdown and it didn't disappoint one bit.

Edited by Vic Mancini

Isamu vs. Guld, it had a lot of emotion behind all of it and was executed very well. It really seemed like they really wanted to kill each other for a time.

Hikaru vs. Britai fight was also pretty cool. It should at least be his crowning moment of awesome for the show, since he led the fleet most of the time.