Which one do you like better? Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 v. 2

ff95gj

Do You Prefer the 1/60v2 or the 1/48 VF-1 Valkryie?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Prefer the 1/60v2 or the 1/48 VF-1 Valkryie?

• I own both and prefer the 1/48.
    • I own both and prefer the 1/60v2.
    • I have not compared directly, but prefer the 1/48.
    • I have not compared directly, but prefer the 1/60v2.

Quote from: OmegaD3k

The 1/48, to me, is the new chunky monkey. XD

Selling all my old 1/48 valks and replacing them with the superior 1/60 counterparts.

The 1/48's are now being regarded as "The new Chunky Monkey" ??? I think my little friend in picture has an opinion... B))

post-6180-1225665391_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

As having a fleet of these bad boys, 1/48s are hands down better IMHO. I looked at the 1/60 v2 and in battroid mode, the extended neck seems wrong to me. Maybe I am use to the 1/48s. You call the 1/48s whatever but I still like em. I got the 1/60s VF-1 just to keep everything else in scale for my display. I like the 1/48 in all modes. To be fair 1/60s are not bad since I like the extra articulation on the arms but the 1/48s are just fine too me. I would rather I have 1/48s of the other macross stuff though not the other way around.

Selling all my old 1/48 valks and replacing them with the superior 1/60 counterparts.

The very thought of selling a lovingly cared-after Valkyrie is soo wrong...

Oh, and it's 1/48 for me. I would buy a new scale VF1 from Yamato only if it was BIGGER than 1:48!

Edited by Nexx Stalker

Well, I've had both my Roy 1/48 and my Roy 1/60v2 side-by-side for about five days now. And I must say that over a few days of appreciating them both, I finally came down in favor of the 1/60.2. And I have surprised myself in doing so. I always loved the 1/48 and always figured it would be hard to top. So, here's my humble summary of the Pros and Cons of the 1/60.2 and why I prefer it:

1/60 v2

Fighter

Pros

• Better/sleeker/accurate Fighter and Gerwalk mode in general. Once I got used to the nose being shorter, it just "feels" more right to me and looks as much like a Valkryie model kit as any toy I've ever owned.
  • Head is more "tucked in."
  • Arms are more "tucked in."
  • Silhouette from front is much sleeker and
    much
    more accurate thanks to less bubbly canopy.
  • Tampo-Printed "UN SPACY" on legs really look great in Fighter mode.
  • Though materials are nearly identical, the 1/60.2 feels more "solid" and less "fisher-Price" (especially in Fighter) than the 1/48's big, blocky, "plasticy" feeling.

Cons

• None

Battroid

Pros

• Sleeker more accurate ("Hasegawa-like") legs.
  • Improved poseability
  • Sleeker Chest (used to prefer the "beefier" looking 1/48) that matches arms and legs better.
  • Slightly shorter nose in battroid (not a big deal to me, but nice).

Cons

• Head and neck are attached "higher" than on 1/48 because fuselage now peaks up above the chest piece (this was almost a deal-breaker for me. But I overlook it because I love the fighter and gerwalk appearance so much. . . and I have gotten used to it in battroid).
  • Shoulders flop around a lot more and aren't "locked in" when in battroid mode. Leading to some of the torque and durability issues some have reported.
  • I prefer the 1/48 VF-1S head sculpt. The head on the 1/60.2 seems a bit small and the "head lasers" a tiny bit over-exaggerated.

Overall (all modes)

• The plastic of the 1/60.2 looks "cleaner" to me and feels "brighter" in a pleasing way. Smoother and higher quality plastic perhaps? Or maybe the couple of 1/48s I've had on display are just dirty? :blink:
  • Size difference - I'm surprised that I prefer the 1/60.2's size to the 1/48. It feels better in the hand and less like a Tonka or Fisher-Price toy.

Overall Non-Issues (for me)

These are issues that some have brought up that just don't really register in my own personal evaluation of which I prefer. To each their own. I'm sure my own criteria aren't all that important to others. So this is all just subjective opinion:

• I don't miss the antenna in Gerwalk mode.
  • I don't mind the "hook" on the backpack and don't consider it an eye-sore.
  • I'm not even sure I've noticed the tailfins/rear stabilizers rubbing against anything.

Conclusion

While I'm not yet ready to start selling off all my 1/48s only to change my mind and regret it later, I'm definitely taking inventory and will almost certain be selling off my 1/48 duplicates some day. At this point, I'm more excited about having multiple 1/60.2s than I am about having 1/48s (and their huge boxes) taking up all that space without all the "pros" I've listed above.

As having a fleet of these bad boys, 1/48s are hands down better IMHO. I looked at the 1/60 v2 and in battroid mode, the extended neck seems wrong to me. Maybe I am use to the 1/48s. You call the 1/48s whatever but I still like em. I got the 1/60s VF-1 just to keep everything else in scale for my display. I like the 1/48 in all modes. To be fair 1/60s are not bad since I like the extra articulation on the arms but the 1/48s are just fine too me. I would rather I have 1/48s of the other macross stuff though not the other way around.

Me too! I wouldn't mind if the version 2 is of 1/48 scale, but not 1/60. But I doubt if Yamato can make a larger model; 30cm is around how big a toy should get before it it unwieldy. And it transforms!

But obviously, 1/60 is better for business; 1/48 is a bit expensive as a toy and would be an entry barrier. And we all know once you get the first one, you get a dozen. And for certain less-popular models, it would be more difficult to sell too. *sigh*

I am one of the few who thinks that the 1/48 Battroid mode looks better. The 1/60 is a bit delicate and more toyly in appearance to my taste, and the 1/48 is more menacing with the size and larger chest plate.

Still, I am going to collect the 1/60 v2 too. So successful, Yamato!

Sure? Because mine rubbed on the first transformation, and get worse every time.

I guess I see where they're making contact. But I haven't noticed that it's actually doing any harm. So for me (at least so far), it's a non-issue. I wasn't even aware that the 1/48 didn't also make contact there.

For me, it's the 1/48 version that takes the cake. I own both, but it's the sheer size of the 1/48 that makes it #1 on my list. It towers over almost every toy that I have to date, with the exception of the 1/12 Scopedog that is.

I own both and voted for the V.2 1/60. Do you guys notice that the antenna on the 1/60 are made in such a way that while in fighter mode, they are "straight and parrelel" while in battroid mode, as you swing them back, they actually do this wonderfull "out-reach" flush thing? It really improves the battroid's looks! The non-heart attack inducing fast pack attachment is also nice. The hands, the fact that you get the full set with SS parts, one could go on and on... overall, the 1/48 looks really blocky and chunky compared to the 1/60 v.2 And the shorter nose is most definitely visible and more accurate and better:

105pjir.jpg

Pete

I have to say that this is one of the best pictures I've seen for a 1/60 v2, and one of the not-so-good pictures for the 1/48...

P.S. I have a 1/60 v2 VF-1A, and waiting for my 1S this December.

I own both and voted for the V.2 1/60. Do you guys notice that the antenna on the 1/60 are made in such a way that while in fighter mode, they are "straight and parrelel" while in battroid mode, as you swing them back, they actually do this wonderfull "out-reach" flush thing? It really improves the battroid's looks! The non-heart attack inducing fast pack attachment is also nice. The hands, the fact that you get the full set with SS parts, one could go on and on... overall, the 1/48 looks really blocky and chunky compared to the 1/60 v.2 And the shorter nose is most definitely visible and more accurate and better:

105pjir.jpg

Pete

I have to say that this is one of the best pictures I've seen for a 1/60 v2, and one of the not-so-good pictures for the 1/48...

That is what happens when you put the 1/48 next to the new 1/60. Allow me to demonstrate another point: see that butt ugly crack line on the nose of the 1/48? It comes from the jet being built of two pieces there. GONE in the 1/60.

6ns42b.jpg

And to top things off, here's 60 in hix threads man ;):

2mopojd.jpg

For me - there are some glaringly evident pluses to the 60 - other than the tampoo printing

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

I have several 1/48 Valks and two 1/60 Ver.2 released so far. I don't think I'll ever give up the 1/48. I mean, I like the 1/60 Ver. 2, but I still remember four years ago when I saw a Roy 1/48 in Battroid mode on display at a Hong Kong toyshop. I thought that was the coolest thing ever and wanted it so badly, but it was too expensive then since Yamato hadn't reissued. It wasn't until another trip to Hong Kong that I finally got to own one. I think if the 1/60 Ver. 2 was released first and then later the 1/48, then collectors would go for the 1/48.

Well, to be perfectly clear - I am NOT getting rid of my 1/48s. I just like the 1/60 better. The 48s will now go into well deserved storage after serving out their time. I am sure that at some point in the future, I will manage to use them in some fun ways. They are by no means "bad" figures in any sense.

Pete