Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

One of the ladies at the Satelite booth spoke very good English. She told me she had previously worked for Manga Entertainment in the US.

Satelite are well aware that there is a very large fan base overseas. In fact the size of the fan base in different countries was one of the topics we discussed.

Of course, they would love if Frontier could be sold outside of Japan, but that is outside of their hands.

They are also well aware of the fansub situation.

As for Macrossworld, she admitted that she hadn't heard of it, but I showed her a few pages on my mobile phone and gave her the website address so she could take a look later. I told her we have a very active forum (much more active than Japanese forums), with close to 9,000 members.

Graham

Good job on promoting Macross World. Hopefully they'll view the website and can take some of our comments into account.

I watched the BD episodes 24-25 briefly and there are some differences:

24:

a small insert regarding SMS boss (I won't spoil), still no complete Battle 25 transformation (this makes me mad!)

25:

the episode pace is different (no eyecatch), last song and final scene are slightly longer with small, nice inserts here and there (credits roll after images, as already said), but most of the "new" footage (exept from Eden) is merely scenes of destruction when the Vajra controlled by Grace attack Frontier (I wrote "new" because, sadly, nearly all of them are recycled from various previous episodes, including Raramia's death scene, go figure), and a longer and better drawn Alto dazed inside the Battroid.

All in all I think the "final cut" of Episode 25 is much more enjoyable than the broadcast version. Back at the time 25 was the best episode of the series, now it's even better (astonishing picture quality).

Having just watch Episode 25, I'd have to agree. The visual quality was stunning.

Also, for the theologically inclined, I noticed that the "Judah" system has now been changed to the rather more appropriate "Judas" system.

Having just watch Episode 25, I'd have to agree. The visual quality was stunning.

Also, for the theologically inclined, I noticed that the "Judah" system has now been changed to the rather more appropriate "Judas" system.

Didn't notice that. All that exposition that Luca's AI are metaphorically are the last children of Israel went do=wn the drain.

Who in their right mind would name their system Judas?! Its like you're expecting to be backstabbed... :huh: Oh wait...

Annnnnnnnd?????? :)

People are watching them on the computer screen....after they downloaded the proper codex......and after they downloaded them.......assuming they know the rips are out there ^_^

Technically speaking, both term are correct. I actually prefer Judah.

As for the backstabbing Redwolf refered to, Judah (or Judas, or Jude) isn't just Iscariotte, who betrayed Christ (supposedly). There are several people and places with that name incluing the first sun of Jacob and The Kingdom of Judah, not to mention the apostles Saint Thomas (Judas Thomas Didymus) and Saint Jude Thaddeus (half brother of Christ). But my knowledge of the Bible is limited at best so i may be way off.

Still, having 3 Ghosts named after 3 apostles being controled by a system named after the one who betrayed them... never made much sense to me so i'm just guessing the name Judah refers to something else.

I watched the BD episodes 24-25 briefly and there are some differences:

24:

a small insert regarding SMS boss (I won't spoil), still no complete Battle 25 transformation (this makes me mad!)

25:

the episode pace is different (no eyecatch), last song and final scene are slightly longer with small, nice inserts here and there (credits roll after images, as already said), but most of the "new" footage (exept from Eden) is merely scenes of destruction when the Vajra controlled by Grace attack Frontier (I wrote "new" because, sadly, nearly all of them are recycled from various previous episodes, including Raramia's death scene, go figure), and a longer and better drawn Alto dazed inside the Battroid.

All in all I think the "final cut" of Episode 25 is much more enjoyable than the broadcast version. Back at the time 25 was the best episode of the series, now it's even better (astonishing picture quality).

I agree with you, the pacing was changed and for the better. This is especially noticeble in the last scenes. The camera pans slower over the characters and lingers on them just a bit more.

Besides the already referenced changes i also noticed that

when the VF-25F is spining through space, just before they cut to the improved scene of Alto dazed, there's an explosion next to the Battroid.

Also, as the Vajra retreat, after the Macross City shot, there's a wide shot of the Vajra planet as the explosions around it subside.

On a final note, i think i asked this before but, when we see Brera on the surface, what the h#$l is that thing behind him? It looks somewhat as the Bird-Human from Macross Zero. Any thoughts?

post-9322-1240918961_thumb.jpeg

On a final note, i think i asked this before but, when we see Brera on the surface, what the h#$l is that thing behind him? It looks somewhat as the Bird-Human from Macross Zero. Any thoughts?

Macross Zero reference. Its a Protoculture version of the poles scattered on Mayan island. Especially that of the one in the spring where naked Sara Nome sings.

post-9033-1240994606_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedWolf

People are watching them on the computer screen....after they downloaded the proper codex......and after they downloaded them.......assuming they know the rips are out there ^_^

I've known they've been out there. Apparently Az and Gubaka think I'm behind the times or something. :) I've just not been interested in checking them out until recently. ^_^ Some of us don't have to watch or have everything AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT.

Edited by MisaForever

I am still excited about the "full length version" of episode 25, if anybody find the linky, please share with me!! I've watched the broadcast version too many times, and it still is my fav. episode, but the pace was a bit too fast.

Would buy the DVD but I am currently too broke with all the macross toy explosion in the middle of the financial crisis, and I need fan subs.

Macross Zero reference. Its a Protoculture version of the poles scattered on Mayan island. Especially that of the one in the spring where naked Sara Nome sings.

post-9033-1240994606_thumb.jpg

Actually, those are the *original* Vajra poles that inspired the Protoculture.

Downloaded the full length episode 25 raw, could not wait anymore, w/o fan subs I realized I actually pretty much memorized the dialog already.

Your guys are so right, it certainly was less "full length" than I thought with 2 additional minutes. (At first I thought "full length" would amount to even more), only some additional short sequences, more explosions, slower end credits (that took about a minute!).

Still good though, tiny bit slower pace but still very exhilarating. Now that all the DVD versions are out, I am waiting for the feature film.

From the look of it, yeah.

Unless the Protoculture themselves paid a visit to the Vajra planet and made these poles to honor them.

Weird as it seems...the Vajra don't need to communicate yet they sing Aimo, don't need heads but yet Grace had to connect through the head and once severed she lost control of the Queen...so why can't they carve nice poles to scatter around a planet!

I do have a question, the Queen was hidden in the center of that big spiral-ring around the planet until Grace O'Connor hacked in, then rose above it, and after the battle, red lobster Vajras and the Queen seem to be floating higher above the ring, as if they're leaving, evacuating!? Is this just some kind of artistic license or the Queen decided "hey humans, take this planet! we're calling it a day"? EDIT: I think this was in the broadcast version so I am not wrapping this in no-spoiler tag.

Edited by regult

I do have a question, the Queen was hidden in the center of that big spiral-ring around the planet until Grace O'Connor hacked in, then rose above it, and after the battle, red lobster Vajras and the Queen seem to be floating higher above the ring, as if they're leaving, evacuating!? Is this just some kind of artistic license or the Queen decided "hey humans, take this planet! we're calling it a day"? EDIT: I think this was in the broadcast version so I am not wrapping this in no-spoiler tag.

I think that's stuff is symbolic (the screen also has a galaxy shot in it) meaning in another galaxy far far away, lives another Vajra tribe and they used to cross dimension once in a time, like the Space Whales.

The ending doesn't make it clear if the Vajra stay or leave, but the human have coexisted with every species before (ok, maybe not the Protodeviln, but they belong in another dimension anyway), so I don't think our Space Bug race will be an exception, plus with them around, no more Fold Faults.

About the poles, you know what, they could be dead Vajra's carapace.

I can't see anything behind Brera, that large pole like thing filling up the foreground in front of Brera is in the way.

the Vajra don't need to communicate yet they sing Aimo,

Correction, they don't need speech to communicate with other Vajra who are a part of their network. They use Aimo to communicate with other Vajra networks. The impression I got was that they had no direct mental link with other Vajra groups.

don't need heads but yet Grace had to connect through the head and once severed she lost control of the Queen...

We don't know that Grace had to, just that she did. Also, we don't know that Grace lost her control after the head was severed. She was blown up immediately after that. Even if she did, it's not a huge stretch to suggest she needed a direct physical connection for her control to take hold.

Correction, they don't need speech to communicate with other Vajra who are a part of their network. They use Aimo to communicate with other Vajra networks. The impression I got was that they had no direct mental link with other Vajra groups.

We don't know that Grace had to, just that she did. Also, we don't know that Grace lost her control after the head was severed. She was blown up immediately after that. Even if she did, it's not a huge stretch to suggest she needed a direct physical connection for her control to take hold.

Noted, need to sing Aimo to call other swarms, other networks, that's exactly what Ranka explained...I overlooked that :p

Point two, I remember the sequence: Alto uses his eye-tracking device to lock on the Queen's neck, shoots missiles, severs the head, Grace cries desperate: instead of her clean naked "avatar" she is back to real form, looking worried and at a loss tangled in her own tentacles, then, still attached but powerless, she witnesses her own death by Alto's VF-25 with Michel's sniper rifle, right after detaching Armor parts (background: we see naked avatars of the girls singing). All this happened very quickly.

Maybe that sequence suggested to me she lost control when the head was severed...also, it would be pointless to sever the Queen's head (suggested by Brera and Ranka, that it would not really kill the Queen to do so), Grace needed to physically connect to the Queen to control her, and the head was the access point, yet the Queen and all Vajras don't really need heads (WTF?)...getting too analytical is probably a futile exercise.

...getting too analytical is probably a futile exercise.

Probably so.

I think all you really need to know is

Grace + Connection to the Queen = bad.

Vajra Queen - head = no problem.

(and how would Grace enter the Queen's intestines, anyway? I can only think of two ways in, and neither of them is pleasant.)

Maybe that sequence suggested to me she lost control when the head was severed...also, it would be pointless to sever the Queen's head (suggested by Brera and Ranka, that it would not really kill the Queen to do so), Grace needed to physically connect to the Queen to control her, and the head was the access point, yet the Queen and all Vajras don't really need heads (WTF?)...getting too analytical is probably a futile exercise.

The intelligence/communication of the Vajra is carried through the intestinal microbes that also cause the V-type infection in humans. Ordinary Vajra lack much other brain matter to speak of, and queens may simply have more of those microbes or may have actual brains of their own: if the latter, they are presumably in the abdomen as well, leaving the head as mostly there for sensory organs, mouth, and such. The latter also fits better with how a "safely" infected human like Ranka and the cured Sheryl functions as a queen of sorts. Given the queen has her own followers, losing her head might leave her personally deaf and blind(or whatever corresponding senses they have) but she can still sense through the others. She might even be able to regrow a head: main point is that it's not removing the brain like it would be for a human.

What Grace did connecting through the Queen's head was link into its nervous system to control the whole body, and thus the whole network. In human terms, it's like having an alien parasite latch onto your arm and hack into your brain through the nervous system. (Realistically improbable, but this is sci-fi anime we're talking about here.) Cut the arm off and you're cured, though somewhat impaired. Make more sense?