Movie Theatre Ticket Prices

Anubis

Kind of curious how much movie ticket prices are where you guys are at.

Here in Gaithersburg, MD, it averages out at $5.75 for a matinee, and $8.25 for evening shows, per ticket. Snacks continue to skyrocket, to the point I don't even look anymore, and wait until after the movie to get a drink. GF smuggles Hersheys in though :lol:

Mods, my apologies if this is deemed an inappropriate thread, you can delete if you want with no hard feelings from me.

Last time I checked out ticket prices here in the L.A. area, matinee was $6.00 and evening was $9.00. It's not the ticket prices that bother me; it's the prices for popcorn and snacks that piss me off.

Exactly why I refuse to buy popcorn or anything in the theatre. 12 bucks for 2 medium sodas and a medium popcorn is a racket and a half. Rather stop by chick-fil-a next door on the way there and spend 10 bucks for 2 full meals, or go to dairy queen afterwards. I will not pay 4 bucks for M&M's or Milk Duds.

The ticket prices I can forgive, but come on about the snacks already.

I don't know about day time showings... But in San Francisco it is $9. Parking sucks (if you do park you are payin $20) also so I usually take a cab or walk.

well, in northridge, the ticket prices are 7 bucks for students and 8.50 for regular adult and matinee is either 6 or 7. I haven't been to a matinee in ages. Anyway, prices are ok here. :p:D:lol:

I'm also in the Yeah Area (East Bay to be exact) and when I saw KILL BILL it cost me $9.25 :blink:.

A couple of months ago I saw the Hulk during Matinee (if you can call it that) and it cost $6.26 :blink:.

Jeez.....the movie theaters should pay me for watching their crappy movies (yup....the Hulk made ME green). :ph34r:

Here in Hong Kong the price varies from theatre to theatre.

Cheapest would be HK$40 (US$5.13) for a weekday matinee show.

Normal price for a weekend or evening show at most theatres is HK$60 (US$7.69).

The most expensive and hi-class theatre here charges HK$70 (US$8.97) for an evening or weekend show.

Graham

A lot of places in L.A. is avg. $10 now. Like A7 says there are more $9 dollar places but once you get closer towards Hollywood it's get more expensive. The Grove and The Bridge are around $12 a show. They try to make it up by having leather seats and vendors walk around before the show.

The funny thing about Hollywood is there are a lot of free screenings. You can probably see any movie you want before it opens just by getting into pre-screenings and premieres...

well, in northridge, the ticket prices are 7 bucks for students and 8.50 for regular adult and matinee is either 6 or 7. I haven't been to a matinee in ages. Anyway, prices are ok here.  :p  :D  :lol:

Yep, Between $7.00 matinee and $8.50 for adult. But that's not what bugs me. Like Areaseven said, they do you at the concession stand. <_<

Edited by NSJ23

Here in VA; washington metropolitan area it cost around $6.50 matinee before 6 PM and adults usually $8.50

I haven't gone to the movies in about 6 months, by now I wait until they come up on DVD and watch it in my big movie screen.

Here in the city of Calgary (in Canada) a film at the best theatres on regular weekend showings will cost about $12.00 (that's $8.87 US Dollars or 7.66 Euro). The big chain theatres can be expensive, but I have to see the best movies at the Imax theatres with perfect picture and sound everytime :)

Prices in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) with normal theaters, Dolby Surround, no IMAX, Euro converted to USD

Noon = Mo-Fr: $7.44 - Sa-Su: $10.02(!)

Evening = Mo-Th: $8.59 - Fr-Su: $10.02(!)

It's a pretty expensive IMO, but life in this country was never cheap. Especially after the introduction of one European currency, pricetags mostly just changed the Dutch guilders (Dfl) to Euro (€)*. So something that had cost 5 DFL just went to 5 Euro overnight. :angry:

And you want to avoid the weekend when families with little ADHD kids and stupid and drunk on Bacardi Breezer Teens disturb the theater with noise, M&M's flying all over the place and other irritating stuff. The personel of the theaters are not always brave enough to kick them all out. Ah well, civilization is ending here anyway but at least I have a DVD player at home and Internet. :ph34r:

*(1 Euro = 2.20371 DFL)

*(1 Euro = 2.20371 DFL)

strange...

an Opel (vauxhall) Corsa basic version was f 15.000,- Dutch guilders before the Euro was introduced

it's now € 10.000,- euro's :blink:

so that would mean € 1,- = f 1,50 guess inflation is a little higher than the max. 3% :p

(yes we dutch use a "." instead of a "," and vice versa)

$7.00 before 6:00pm.

$9.00 after 6:00pm.

Too expensive. Especially when the girl I am currently dating convinced me to go see "Intolerable Cruelty." AWFUL movie. I cant believe I spent $18 to see that piece of crap movie.

I feel your pain.

I have become very careful what movie I will pay evening price for. Got burned a few times.

Too expensive. Especially when the girl I am currently dating convinced me to go see "Intolerable Cruelty." AWFUL movie. I cant believe I spent $18 to see that piece of crap movie.

I feel your pain, MD. Two years ago, I was forced by my friends to cough out $9 to watch Jason X with them.

I pretty much never see movies anymore. I still haven't seen Kill Bill.

The last movie I saw was like 12 bucks, Matrix Reloaded, but that's because it was the IMAX showing. At least I don't need to worry about parking, though. I live relatively close to Universal Studios, and as a community goodwill thing, or whatever, they send us passes for free parking.

The last movie I saw was like 12 bucks, Matrix Reloaded, but that's because it was the IMAX showing. At least I don't need to worry about parking, though. I live relatively close to Universal Studios, and as a community goodwill thing, or whatever, they send us passes for free parking.

That sure beats paying $7 for parking.

Hehe, well it's about 1,800 yen per adult in Shinjuku, plus 1,000 yen per 30 mins for parking if you're lucky enough to find a place and stupid enough to drive.

Plus, while this is going out of style, some theaters continue selling tickets well past the number of seats available, so it is not uncommon to see a bunch of people standing. Man, nothing beats seeing a major release in packed theater in Shinjuku's summer heat with 1,500+ of your closest friends in a rock-hard seat that measures 24 inches wide (including the arm rests) with a date for only just over 6,000 yen (that's two tickets plus treats like the one or two mini-colas you'll drink while waiting for your seat). Hmm... let's see, 6,000 yen for a crappy time at the movies or a new Yammie... hmmm... guess that's why the wife and I watch most everything at home.

Of course, if you hunt around (and it's getting easier and easier) you can get some tickets as cheap as 1,250. But once I found civilized theaters like the Warner MyCal's in the suburbs, I've only set foot back into to Kabukicho once.

Edited by LePoseur