Samsung. Since it's the only brand now that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), the next in-thing in the future. Series 6 and above has a built-in Media Play(er) which plays mkv/avi/mp4/mpg/h.264/h.263/divx/xvid/flv/rv and a USB2.0. And it's really cheap consider the picture quality and functions it has.

Thanks for the info. I don't really care too much about built-in media capability, but considering France is SECAM, I do want a multi-tuner capability.

I've seen Samsung LA-40A and LA-32A LCDs which are touted as multi-system units, but haven't found any credible reviews yet. Any thoughts?

I've seen Samsung LA-40A and LA-32A LCDs which are touted as multi-system units, but haven't found any credible reviews yet. Any thoughts?

Is the model name just LA-40A? Shouldn't it be LA-40xxxxx, sometimes the model no. varies among different countries, so I'm not sure how your country name the model. Is that a new model btw? :rolleyes:

Is the model name just LA-40A? Shouldn't it be LA-40xxxxx, sometimes the model no. varies among different countries, so I'm not sure how your country name the model. Is that a new model btw? :rolleyes:

There has been stuff afterwards (the xxxx parts), but it usually indicates the resolution.

I first heard of these Samsung models by googling 'multisystem lcd tv'. So as to whether they are new or not, you're guess is probably much better than mine.

Samsung. Since it's the only brand now that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), the next in-thing in the future. Series 6 and above has a built-in Media Play(er) which plays mkv/avi/mp4/mpg/h.264/h.263/divx/xvid/flv/rv and a USB2.0. And it's really cheap consider the picture quality and functions it has.

eh? i have a series8 and no mention in the manual of mkv capability. have you tried it? would be cool if it did work.

eh? i have a series8 and no mention in the manual of mkv capability. have you tried it? would be cool if it did work.

My country has only released up to series 7 for LCD. Here's the full list of supported video and audio codecs taken from the manual:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40B650/Operation.htm (scroll till the middle)

codecs.gif

And sorry, I was mixed up with H.263(was H.264) and no .flv

Edited by Repiv_Onex

There has been stuff afterwards (the xxxx parts), but it usually indicates the resolution.

I first heard of these Samsung models by googling 'multisystem lcd tv'. So as to whether they are new or not, you're guess is probably much better than mine.

I'm not so sure of the SECAM or the multi-system thingy. Maybe someone can help u on that.

LA40 or LA32 I believe the number represents the size 40" and 32", the "xxxx" is the real model name.

Anyway, anyone has seen any reviews on LED Tv? 29.9mm is real thin for a 40" or a 46" Tv.

My country has only released up to series 7 for LCD. Here's the full list of supported video and audio codecs taken from the manual:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40B650/Operation.htm (scroll till the middle)

And sorry, I was mixed up with H.263(was H.264) and no .flv

crossed my fingers and tried an mkv file. no dice unfortunatetly. it seems my just already 5 months old series8 is now obsolete. there now appears to be updated versions of the series6 and 7 with new functionality not found in my jurassic tv <_<

oh well, time to build a new HTPC...

Recently I got a new Samsung LCD, but can't get the Comcast remote to recognize the new TV...thus requiring me to use the Comcast remote to change channels and the Samsung remote to adjust volume.

Any suggestions for this? Will I be required to spend $90+ on a universal remote? Or should I see if I can update my Comcast set top box and remote (seeing as how my current one is a few years old anyway)?

Recently I got a new Samsung LCD, but can't get the Comcast remote to recognize the new TV...thus requiring me to use the Comcast remote to change channels and the Samsung remote to adjust volume.

Any suggestions for this? Will I be required to spend $90+ on a universal remote? Or should I see if I can update my Comcast set top box and remote (seeing as how my current one is a few years old anyway)?

I don't think you'll need a $90 universal remote. I'm guessing that newer $20 remotes will work.

That said, I spent $200 on mine. If you've got a lot of stuff in your home theater, Harmony remotes are highly recommended. I'm actually on my second. I had the Harmony for Xbox 360, and I sold it to upgrade to the Harmony One.

I don't think you'll need a $90 universal remote. I'm guessing that newer $20 remotes will work.

That said, I spent $200 on mine. If you've got a lot of stuff in your home theater, Harmony remotes are highly recommended. I'm actually on my second. I had the Harmony for Xbox 360, and I sold it to upgrade to the Harmony One.

Harmony remotes are terrific. I need to get anbother one for my bedroom stuff, or maybe retire my 880 to there and pick up the One.

Yeah, I <3 my Harmony 720. Last remote I'll ever need for some time.

New 82" Mitsu DLP is sounding more and more entertaining to me. Even if it's wobulated single chip, it's still RPTV and I have desire for the 22" increased size over my SXRD (as much as I still love it).

New 82" Mitsu DLP is sounding more and more entertaining to me. Even if it's wobulated single chip, it's still RPTV and I have desire for the 22" increased size over my SXRD (as much as I still love it).

82"? I don't want to even contemplate how much that's gonna run... I can't even get my wife on board with $2000 to replace the 52" 1080i Toshiba DLP with a 52" 1080p 120Htz Samsung LCD.

82"? I don't want to even contemplate how much that's gonna run... I can't even get my wife on board with $2000 to replace the 52" 1080i Toshiba DLP with a 52" 1080p 120Htz Samsung LCD.

About the same price my 60" did in 2005. :ph34r:

At that size you might as well look into a front projection screen TV. Of course you're going to have to look into a few other factors, but looking into lumes and screen types beats figuring out how to move that hueg thing.

Already have plans for a dedicated theater with front projector. I do want a "TV" for the living room and this monster will be it. :D

OLEDs are out on the market? Which brand? Or are u talking about LED Tv?

Anyway as of worth it or not, it's really depends on the individual. It's kinda new, so the price would be high. Just like about 3-4 years ago I bought a 42" 840x480 SD Plasma tv for USD2500, it was quite worth it at that time, but definitely not now. :mellow:

Didn't they actually reduce the capability of most LED-backlit TVs this year? As in, no more local dimming?

Depends on who you're talking about. The new Sammy's have Edge lit LED's.

No more local dimming? Were there a lot before? Only a couple I can think of that were backlit local dimming TV's.

OLED sounds like it will be a good technology... just way too small to be anything other than novelty at this point.

so did LCD and plasma when they first came out. It takes time for tech to mature.

From what I know LCD never suffer from burn-in.

Didn't know that OLED suffers from burn-in(haven't read much about them), since it suffer from burn-in, I believe the color saturation will also be deteriorate over many years just like plasma did. My 4year-old plasma already showing signs of color fading. (Although color fading may not be an issue as u can always re-calibrate the settings, but i still feel like bringing it up.)

Anyway nowadays plasma have so much resistance against burn-in and color deterioration, i think "mature" OLED Tvs shouldn't have those issues to cause problems.

Pardon my English. B))

From what I know LCD never suffer from burn-in.

Didn't know that OLED suffers from burn-in(haven't read much about them), since it suffer from burn-in, I believe the color saturation will also be deteriorate over many years just like plasma did. My 4year-old plasma already showing signs of color fading. (Although color fading may not be an issue as u can always re-calibrate the settings, but i still feel like bringing it up.)

Anyway nowadays plasma have so much resistance against burn-in and color deterioration, i think "mature" OLED Tvs shouldn't have those issues to cause problems.

Pardon my English. B))

sorry... "image persistence"

Ermm is that burn-in? Anyway I'm not too sure about it either, started to read about LCDs Plasma Tv like 5 years ago, so not sure about the technology before that. ^_^

It's the same thing, but not. CRT and plasma get "burn in" where the bits that make up the image actually get damaged from only producing one color for a duration of time and get stuck in that color.

With LCD the individual cell can still change colors but at a slightly different color so you see a ghost of the original image.

Really only an issue when you're displaying something with a static image, like a HUD type UI (diablo for instance) or if you're working with a program that has a lot of set fields, like Remedy.

And yeah, 5 years ago, this crap was mostly resolved, ghosting was more of an issue in the pre-TFT days.

With LCD the individual cell can still change colors but at a slightly different color so you see a ghost of the original image.

AFAIK, LCD image persistance will go away eventually. Burn in is permanent.

I got a lesson here. ^_^ thanks for clearing things up.

• 2 weeks later...

I need an opinion on something.

I might be getting and older 50 inch rear projection TV for free. Chances are it is not HD but it works but the GUNS? inside it need to be cleaned.

Does it seem worth it since it would be an upgrade from my current 19 inch TV or should I forget about it.

Money is tight so a new HD TV is out of the question for at least a year or two

I need an opinion on something.

I might be getting and older 50 inch rear projection TV for free. Chances are it is not HD but it works but the GUNS? inside it need to be cleaned.

Does it seem worth it since it would be an upgrade from my current 19 inch TV or should I forget about it.

Money is tight so a new HD TV is out of the question for at least a year or two

How would free be a bad thing?

Free is bad when they give you a year supply of cat food and you don't have a cat.

These old projection TVs are so huge sometimes its better to hand them off rather than pay for the disposal. Even if you can't afford a large flatscreen soon, you can buy a cheap 19" computer monitor and a digital tv tuner and it'll be HD. at least your picture will be HD. Unless you have the extra space in your house for that huge TV.