Gundam Plamodel Thread III

yet to see mobility on the torso area for the ultimate posing feature. I don't see any on this 00. I've already pre ordered it. I'm in the process of actually modifying my PG RX-78 to be able to this feature, but the core fighter will have to be eliminated.

Let me preface the following opinion by saying that I am a Gundam lightweight. I've built a handful of MG kits, a couple HGs and never a PG - so certainly I don't have the knowledge to be sure that what I'm saying isn't totally wrong...

but here goes:

I kind of understand the problem you are talking about, because I have noticed it on my MG Force Impulse and on the MG RX-78-2 KA I once had - whenever there is a core fighter, there is a problem with the torso.

However - and this isn't a perfect solution - but the version 2.0 RX-78-2 (and GM version 2.0) do TRY to solve this problem - at least that's the feeling I got. The Torso in those is far more poseable even with the core fighter inside.

This is due to a pretty ingenious inner frame design where the hip-portion of the torso is not a stable flat piece (the place where you attach the core fighter before sliding the main body on) - instead - it actually has mobility independent of the hips themselves.

Also, the construction of the upper body itself is wonderful because the lower half of the abdomen is attached to the upper half of the abdomen on a pivoting/arching axis inner frame piece which allows for movement of that part even with the core fighter inside.

It's not perfect - but I think that might be due to the scale. I don't know how the PG RX-78-2 tackles this problem - but the version 2.0 MG really does a good job of it all things considered.

Pete

Let me preface the following opinion by saying that I am a Gundam lightweight. I've built a handful of MG kits, a couple HGs and never a PG - so certainly I don't have the knowledge to be sure that what I'm saying isn't totally wrong...

Come on Pete do yourself a favor, you should definitely get a PG!!!

I'm not a Gundam fan, but the level of inner detail put into these things is beyond belief :lol:

Come on Pete do yourself a favor, you should definitely get a PG!!!

I'm not a Gundam fan, but the level of inner detail put into these things is beyond belief :lol:

I tried convincing him months ago to get a Red Frame or Strike, if he won't get those, he won't get a PG...maybe it's for the better. I remember the ignorant bliss of MG kits and HG 1/100, I debated for a long time before getting a PG...then I finally got my first one and suddenly I just couldn't go back to MG's, so simple and boring, even the 2.0's when compared to the awesomeness that is Perfect Grade. Even the little 1/100 kits seem dinky and bland. I remember building the EX-S MG and thinking how huge and cool it was, now...meh. If it isn't at least a foot tall Gundam, it's not worth it for me. It's a double edged sword though, because now I've gotten almost all 1/60 Gundam kits, DX figures, etc, and there just isn't the variety that the HG and MG lines have. I even found myself doing repaints like Harrison's F91 1/60, RX-78-3, Deactive Strike, Tristars, Ridden and Shin Zaku II's, etc. On the plus side, the 1/60's are just better, from PG to HG and RD. Not only that, but with Bandai and Yamato embracing the 1/60 scale, I can have a scale accurate collection from different lines...which I love. In the end, it's a personal choice. All I can say is if you do go with a PG, there's no turning back. It's like tattoo's (my other hobby), once you get one, you'll either never get one again or get hooked (the latter occurs much more often).

I agree, I'm not even that big of a Gundam fan (almost not at all) but I love those PG kits. They're difficult only in that there's lots of bits to cut and clean and paint but the instructions rocks, the parts fit well and if you go step by step they're easy builds.

I do want to say though, the plastic they use gets brittle over time and the little pegs that hold the armor on the frame can break... I've had to retrofit my PG mkII with magnets and some metal bits to reinforce it.

Listen what the man says Pete!!!!

I remember building the EX-S MG and thinking how huge and cool it was, now...meh.

It's like tattoo's (my other hobby), once you get one, you'll either never get one again or get hooked (the latter occurs much more often).

The EX-S is THE mech to get the PG treatment. I'm about to convince myself to get the G-System resin kit :ph34r:

Don't get me strated on tattoo's. When I finish my arms I believe I'll stop :lol:

I agree, I'm not even that big of a Gundam fan (almost not at all) but I love those PG kits. They're difficult only in that there's lots of bits to cut and clean and paint but the instructions rocks, the parts fit well and if you go step by step they're easy builds.

I do want to say though, the plastic they use gets brittle over time and the little pegs that hold the armor on the frame can break... I've had to retrofit my PG mkII with magnets and some metal bits to reinforce it.

Really? My Mk.II holds up fine after all these years, just checked it after reading your post. Same goes for my other PG's. I did have a bit of rubber rot on my PG EVA, but not bad. And I got the Extra coating version which supposedly rectifies that. I don't really mess with them too much, I pose them and light play with them occasionally, but that's it.

Really? My Mk.II holds up fine after all these years, just checked it after reading your post. Same goes for my other PG's. I did have a bit of rubber rot on my PG EVA, but not bad. And I got the Extra coating version which supposedly rectifies that. I don't really mess with them too much, I pose them and light play with them occasionally, but that's it.

oh, they hold up just fine to posing, it's if you take the armor off and on frequently, and the peg that holds the thruster/saber thing on the backpack is prone to breakage.

With all this talk of PG kits....

Has anyone got a pic of a PG kit next to an MG kit so I can get an idea of the size difference? Have just got into this Gundam kit building thing - built the MG Sinanju, Shin Musha and Strike w/ IWSP so far...

MG Sinanju = fun mixed with much tedium :wacko:

Would love to get the PG 00, but damn it's expensive - something like $450 to get it here to Perth :angry:

Has anyone got a pic of a PG kit next to an MG kit so I can get an idea of the size difference? Have just got into this Gundam kit building thing - built the MG Sinanju, Shin Musha and Strike w/ IWSP so far...

Would love to get the PG 00, but damn it's expensive - something like $450 to get it here to Perth :angry:

Average MG: 7 to 7.5 inches

Average PG: 12-14 inches

I'll post a pic tomorrow if no one else does, my smaller kits are all boxed up.

Dalong has reallly nice reviews Check out his PG Section

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en...cial%26hs%3DDyr

My take on Gunpla

PG they are very nice and worth having but i would not want a regular scheduled releases like the MG line has. I like the line for its obscurity and that is what makes it special. At 1/60 they are a little on the large side. 1/100 is a good scale for nice displayed collections. They fit in well in the toy/model area of a mecha collection and would not look out of place with some of the larger SOCs (Personally I have the PGs Zeta, MKII, Wing Custom, Chars Zaku, and Strike. Rx-78 on the way and just purchased the 00 w/raiser) I would really appreciate someones opinion on the Red frame. To me, it shares to many characteristics of the strike. Just waiting for a drop in price. Also gut feeling Bandai will release like a rouge version with the flight pack. Also been debating for a while over the GP-01. Any thoughts. ????

MGs are really the pinnacle of model technology. I disagree with some here they are not worth it. In Fact they are very much worth it and are as complex as the PGs. For example the Blue Frame Revise has basically the same build tech as the red frame PG which I have yet to get. But Dalong gives us some points between the two. They can be very complex and to me... are close facsimiles to SOCs in model format. It occurred to me while playing w/ the Blue Frame that if you were to pack this in a nice box with Styrofoam or clear plastic inserts with the weapons set it very well could fool someone ignorant in SOC collection pieces. I will continue to support this line as the size is nice with regular release and its a little easier on the wallet for those cases when you want to get a PG release. I would however like to see a separate line of MGs expanded into a 1/72 size. That i think would satisfy the PG and MG enthusiasts with Price and Size. Also MGs can sometimes have as much detail as PGs. The version 2 of Zeta has better mechanics than its PG cousin, I dont have the MG wing custom but with Dalongs picture reviews it seems the MG has more wing detail with the extra Shoulder tip Wing points.

DX line has to be (for me) the ultimate let down. I have the Lighting strike and if it wasn't for the light up feature the issues of no inner frame, piss poor posability and just over all boring feel to it I would have never bought it at the regular price of around 200, but i got it for 80 shipped. SO if this line disappeared. Good riddance

HG and HGUC are not even in the same ball park. Kind of not even worth the serious collectors time and money.

Neo Grade or no grade no thanks I get more out of Kotobukiyas Zoids and Armoed core mecha models.

So there you have it PG and MG are well worth the time and money. I like how bandai has scheduled releases for each of the lines. Would like to see a sub MG line in the 1/72 scale range to satisfy collectors of either or both.

IF you need historical background in Gundam models, differences in sizes and other variances check out wilki info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_models

Edited by Snail00

Fine, fine.

I'll look into getting some PGs in 2010.

Re: the torso

I'll go take some pictures of my v 2.0 RX-78-2 later. The pics you posted, if I am not mistaken are of the KA? I can tell (I hope) by the yellow vents on his chest. The anime accurate Gundam should just hav the vent fins protruding from a blue chest box, whereas the KA has those yellow grills...

Pete

Alright, for fun I wanted to transform my MG Gundam Unicorn from NT-D back to standard mode.

I have got everything done, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the torso/stomach area to collapse!?

No matter how much force I have used, I still have a slight gap between the two pieces.

Anybody with some advice, is there a trick to this?

The trick is that you have built in wrong. This happened to me on my original MG Unicorn, and only when I built the Gundam AGAIN when I got the Titanium version (same model, but just coated with shinny metalic finish) did I do it right.

Remove the main body from the torso - take that section you're complaining about apart and look in the instructions and make sure it all looks right.

And prey you didn't screw up somewhere in the red inner frame...

It does work perfectly if it's built correctly and attached correctly.

Pete

Yeah - the "gap" you're talking about is physically impossible to overcome --because it's built wrong. There's no point applying pressure because the piece has no where left to go - unless you want to crack it.

It took me a while to figure it out - but there is a right way to do it...

Pete

My PG 00 Raiser is on the way with a 393USD pricetag. Hope its well worth it <_<

Mine too, but I only paid about 340...did you order the option parts? I said no, they're not worth it. Hope I don't regret it, but the frame just didn't pop out enough for me to warrant paying extra for the option parts.

Mine too, but I only paid about 340...did you order the option parts? I said no, they're not worth it. Hope I don't regret it, but the frame just didn't pop out enough for me to warrant paying extra for the option parts.

Yeah 400 is a bit much

did you get it from HLJ??

Mine cost me 339 to be exact

=P

PG Wing Zero Custom VS Wing Zero

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

I'll take a pic of the MkII and RX78 PG's tomorrow when i get a chance.

~Kicker773 Out~

great work

I wish i could paint. But im happy with my unpainted PG Wing Custom

Well actually painting Gundams is pretty easy IMO. At least unless I'm totally mistaken - but the best method I've seen (aka easiest) is to spray paint the pieces while they are still on the sprues, since most sprues are uni-color (although more complex kits sometimes have multi-colored sprews).

But I just don't have the time to track down paint - spray or otherwise.... I would like to eventually do that, and also finally get around to building diaoramas for my mecha and stuff...

Pete

Well actually painting Gundams is pretty easy IMO. At least unless I'm totally mistaken - but the best method I've seen (aka easiest) is to spray paint the pieces while they are still on the sprues, since most sprues are uni-color (although more complex kits sometimes have multi-colored sprews).

But I just don't have the time to track down paint - spray or otherwise.... I would like to eventually do that, and also finally get around to building diaoramas for my mecha and stuff...

Pete

Well i know how to paint. I actually own a pricey Air Brush kit and compressor. But it is time consuming. Mixing Paints thinning and the whatnot. But there are some very good painters its not just a matter of painting over the piece with one color. It takes a certain amount of knowledge and talent to paint in various color themes and styles. Notice the blue hue in the PG Wing. That affect is difficult to get if you dont know what you are doing.

With the current color/mold injection technologies the modern MGs and PGs are very vibrant out of the box. I like to detail vs Paint, which actually takes some intelligence to do. In that regard here a few pictures of a couple of MGs I completed on friday and Sat.

I hated building the Rick Dom. THe inner frame for the legs and body are very good but the arms SUCK donkey balls. The placement of the peg and PVC polycap. And this gundam will need extensive detailing. (when i say detailing i mean painting pistons small parts intakes, boosters scopes, etc)

Nothing really wrong with Strike Noir. But it is a different build than the other seed frames. But I do love both the rick dom and Strike noir. Bandai does need to make a V2 for Rick Dom. Pete. If your reading this I know your a fan of the older gundam mecha. If you like the Rick dom I say wait for V2.

Now just waiting for the Goof and PG 0 Raiser. I have to finish these asap before my new Project picks up speed. So now onto decaling, detailing and panel lining.

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03542.jpg

DSC03543.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

DSC03546.jpg

well, that's a PG Raiser leg. I have a bad feeling I'm going to be disappointed, looking over the parts and leg assembly. Interesting system with the clutch knee. Ankles look a bit odd, hope they're not weak after putting all the weight on the top from the body and Raiser. I'm not crazy about 00 mecha, really not crazy about the 00 Raiser, however, I bought it anyway. I think I'll be happy with it, but I don't think I'll ever be 350 dollars happy with it.

Some Pics for reference. I too like the mechanics. So I guess I dont get a stand with 00 and O Raiser??

Unbelievable. Doesnt matter yamato or Bandai they just try to milk every dime out of the customers that support them.....Will have to look into those plastic 3 peg stands.

post-4512-1259548875_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548888_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548900_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548910_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548920_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548928_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548940_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548951_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548961_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1259548972_thumb.jpg

Edited by nugundamII

Some Pics for reference. I too like the mechanics. So I guess I dont get a stand with 00 and O Raiser??

Unbelievable. Doesnt matter yamato or Bandai they just try to milk every dime out of the customers that support them.....Will have to look into those plastic 3 peg stands.

yes it comes with a stand (that large black plate) not only that, but the stand has two arms for mounting the Raiser and 00 separately if you don't want to combine them.

yes it comes with a stand (that large black plate) not only that, but the stand has two arms for mounting the Raiser and 00 separately if you don't want to combine them.

So why does dalong have a picture of a separate box with the duel stand. And I saw some websites selling the stand separately