Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

Nuh-uh, prototype does not explain why the rear of the legs do not stick out well above the wings while in fighter mode. They should be sticking out above the height of the shield, similar to the YF-19's legs in fighter mode. There's a big gap where the legs should be sticking out. So now you look through this big gap and say "gee, that's where the legs should be but I've got a big gaping gap in fighter mode."

It's been like this on every prototype picture we've seen. It's not mistransformed or a prototype issue if it's been like that in all the pictures.

May I add that the model doesn't have this problem in fighter mode.

Unforunately Bandai is the only game in town for Macross Frontier toys and models. So if you want a good looking VF-25 you have to settle for the model kit, because the 1/60 just isn't cutting it at looking like a good representation of the VF-25. Originally I had wrote that you'd have to settle for "a model kit or partsformer" but then I remembered that the 1/100 has the same leg problem in fighter mode as the 1/60. Pretty sad. The toy team could learn a lot from the model team at Bandai.

Here, does this make you feel better?

057.jpg

058.jpg

... or do we need to keep foaming about the gap? It's probably not closed in any of the photos because the proto is so caked with layers of primer that the locking pegs don't fit into the holes, and I doubt there are any ratchets in the knees yet to keep the heavy resin legs from sagging. The photographer probably doesn't want to deal with an overly tight peg on a photomodel he probably doesn't want to break, either.

(Yes, I checked to make sure that was a DX photo and not a model)

EDIT: Just realized that one of these photos is even in the first page of this thread

Edited by QuinJester

I wonder how quality will be on it. The early run of toys of the Saint Cloth Myths had horrible quality control, so you had to be careful and inspect the toy through the split case window box, to make sure that there weren't any visible problems. From there you had to cross your fingers and hope that the armor would fit and didn't have any issues (and at first Bandai didn't have high QC standards on those toys).

First time I hear this. And I read a Saint Seiya forum where those figures are usually extensively discussed.

Hong Kong or Japan versions?

Or perhaps you just got a really bad factory-backdoor batch?

Most of my Myth Cloths are first release Japanese versions and bizarely ( :rolleyes: ) they don't have any quality control problems - of course, that the first figure body design is less articulated than the later versions is NOT a quality control thing...

The only thing I know about is that in some climates the paint on the PVC hair will eat away the chrome on the armor after a few months

At this late stage in the game, the only fixes I see Bandai implementing will be the removal of the seams and gaps. All of the other complaints that we have (which are many) would probably require new sculpting at this point which ain't gonna happen with a 2 month release looming.

I'm still 50/50 about canceling my preorder. Each successive release of photo's keeps driving home the fact that Bandai has alot to learn about transforming toys. I've yet to see them fix any of the major grips that I've had with the initial pics of the vf-25 prototypes. Which is a shame because I truely love the vf-25's design.

057.jpg

058.jpg

... or do we need to keep foaming about the gap? It's probably not closed in any of the photos because the proto is so caked with layers of primer that the locking pegs don't fit into the holes, and I doubt there are any ratchets in the knees yet to keep the heavy resin legs from sagging. The photographer probably doesn't want to deal with an overly tight peg on a photomodel he probably doesn't want to break, either.

EDIT: Just realized that one of these photos is even in the first page of this thread

Okay, now THAT pic is a NON TRANSFORMING MOCK UP, It's just one piece of carved resin. I would hope that it wouldn't have gaps.

Until there is a picture without a big gap, I will continue to complain about it. Same goes with the rest of the problems with this toy.

Even in this picture there's a big gap and the legs aren't up properly. Still doesn't look remotely integrated. And the more recent test pictures still doesn't have the legs sticking up. As stated previously they should be sticking up well above the wings and shield, like the YF-19's legs.

If they fix this problem I will whole heartedly clap my hands, then say "good job, fix the rest of it".

I just saw pics of the 1/72 model from the hobby mags.

Now I'm all sad. :(

Why do Bandai stick to the "a model is a model and a toy is a toy and there's no such thing as a detailed collector grade item" theory every time they produce something from the Macross franchise?

Looks like my money is going to a weathered destroid.

Okay, now THAT pic is a NON TRANSFORMING MOCK UP, It's just one piece of carved resin. I would hope that it wouldn't have gaps.

And yet even though its joints don't work, it should be made from the same plans and designs as the transformable one, meaning it should technically be closer to the final product than gappy mcflops prototype shots.

And yet even though its joints don't work, it should be made from the same plans and designs as the transformable one, meaning it should technically be closer to the final product than gappy mcflops prototype shots.

but that mock up obviously doesn't show any of the hinges or joints. Just compare the latest prototype's leg assembly compared to that resin mock up. The mock up is smooth while the prototype has very obvious joints and hinges and big gaps in the legs between the thigh/knee/and lower leg assemblies.

And as been pointed out, the leg placement on the mock up is still too low and not well integrated with the rest of the body.

Frankly, everyone posting in this thread about how it looks, needs to go see the new scans of the 1/72: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=665228

And now I finally understand the pelvis on this valk design and how the DX's supposed “chunkyness" could change:

Look at this proto/production test of the 1/72 model kit:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=57522

Does it not remind you of the DX?

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=57525

That pic has the 1/72 model miss transformed in the crotch area (and the head). In the final version there appears to be a mini swing bar there for the legs that holds them in fighter but then swings down when the crotch flips for Battroid:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58600

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58595

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58598

I can't make out if the mini swing bar was there in the proto of the model and just forgotten to transform or if it was added later, but you can plainly see that the end result of that part really changes how the model looks.

Now the DX has no indication of having said mini swing bar or other such system to lower the legs in Battroid nor does the 1/100. Could that part of the design be prone to breaking? Did they not want to break the fighter design by having that part under the plane? Did they not find a way to hide it (yet)?

The 1/72 model custom of the VF-27 shown in klam1020 scans has the legs hanging up instead of down so maybe it is a bit tricky to pull of or very fragile.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=58631

If they do rework something, the one change to the DX proto that I thing would change the final look the most is a reworked crotch area. In other words:

Aim for the top (of the crotch) Bandai!! :lol:

Edited by Twoducks

Frankly, everyone posting in this thread about how it looks, needs to go see the new scans of the 1/72: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=665228

too bad that when you get the model, instead of getting something like this:

301hhzt.jpg

you get this:

zjjjm9.jpg

Maybe that's not a problem for you, but I don't have the time, resources, skill, patience, workspace, or anything else necessary to make the latter into the former myself. And if by some miraculous happenstance, I end up with the former, I'm still not able to play with it.

it will look better with stickers

Oh boy, stickers! I love applying dozens of large stickers, it’s so much fun!!

And one they're on, they'll never peel, or yellow, or fall off, or not lay flat, or not look like ass when laid down. [/sarcasm]

Edited by anime52k8

And one they're on, they'll never peel, or yellow, or fall off, or not lay flat, or not look like ass when laid down. [/sarcasm]

Well maybe Bandai will give us rub-ons, just for you :lol::blink::ph34r:

If the Bandai Star Trek kits are to be any indication, prepainted VF-25's would be beautifull, but expensive models. I should be getting mine on Friday.

whatever they charge, totaly worth it if they're as good looking as the Star trek kits

I always thought the Star Trek kits (like most Trek models IMHO) have the contrast WAY overdone. Happens on diecast model military planes too.

The different shades of grey should be SUBTLY different on most of them. I mean, you can literally be standing next to a 1:1 Super Hornet and not be able to see the demarcation line clearly. But on most models---you could see it in dim lighting from 10 paces away.

practice on your 1/48's. its not that hard to do.

The 1/72 definitely looks better in all modes, and has the fighter looking way better than the 1/60, as the legs are correctly positioned (or much more so than the 1/60).

The sad thing is that the 1/72 is our only option of a good VF-25 representation, unless the 1/60 or 1/100 somehow miraculously get fixed before release. And models were not meant to survive repeated transformations or posing.

the last few pics are not rapid prototypes. Look at the detailing, the panel lining, the smoothness of the plastic, those came out of shiny molds.

Bandai's got the money to make multiple test shots. If the toy ends up extremely durable and still maintains full articulation, then thats good for me. I don't mind the inaccuracies, just like I didn't give a damn that Yamato's YF-21 ended up slender in battroid mode. I forsee some changes made to the prototypes, I will not be surprised if the landing gear end up looking much better and accurate than we are currently seeing. I don't want to see the extremely long mosquito landing gear that the model has. From different angles they look too long. The rear gears should get more details and fine molding, and the front gear just needs to be a bit taller. Maybe telescoping with a locking mechanism.

Bandai's got the money to make multiple test shots. If the toy ends up extremely durable and still maintains full articulation, then thats good for me. I don't mind the inaccuracies, just like I didn't give a damn that Yamato's YF-21 ended up slender in battroid mode. I forsee some changes made to the prototypes, I will not be surprised if the landing gear end up looking much better and accurate than we are currently seeing. I don't want to see the extremely long mosquito landing gear that the model has. From different angles they look too long. The rear gears should get more details and fine molding, and the front gear just needs to be a bit taller. Maybe telescoping with a locking mechanism.

Well, I hope you're right. Those rear castor wheels just smack of a temp fix. I think/hope the rear gears will end up being twist outs like the yf-21. With the fold out side panels and the detailed ankle mechanism, space has to be a premium in the leg wells... twist out gears could be just the thing in terms of real estate.

I don't have any hope that there will be any changes to the proportions though. The body has the same proportions as the very first set of preview pics. If they were going to change something, they would have done it by now. Maybe they'll pull a Yamato and just pull the whole thing and come back later with a brand new design.

I would prefer scratch n sniff stickers personally. Pineapple salad flavored! :lol:

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong.

This is a Frontier kit, not an original SDFM kit. Thus the stickers should be Pinapple cake flavored. :D

(and shouldn't that be scented, noy flavored? You sniff em' not lick em')

Graham

I always thought the Star Trek kits (like most Trek models IMHO) have the contrast WAY overdone. Happens on diecast model military planes too.

The different shades of grey should be SUBTLY different on most of them. I mean, you can literally be standing next to a 1:1 Super Hornet and not be able to see the demarcation line clearly. But on most models---you could see it in dim lighting from 10 paces away.

Personally I like the overdone shading. I know it’s not realistic, but frankly it looks cool and breaks up what would otherwise be a sea of grey. I’ve always felt that what is visually appealing is better than what’s accurate, and to me the high contrast looks better (just my take on it)

Anyways, the VF-25 doesn’t have any panel shading so it’s not a big deal. And the comparison is more to do with the level of quality and detail that went into the star trek kits, if they did equally good work painting a VF-25 it would be awesome.

And as I’ve said in the past, I’ve had plenty of experience with both decals and stickers (I used to build a lot of models, but I finally had to give it up due to lack of time the excessive stress it caused) and I find decals to be frustrating and stickers to be flat out unattractive. Also I’d like to be able to transform the thing without having to worry about chipping or flaking.

(Speaking of chipping and flaking, what would be less likely to do so, clear coated decals, or paint over raw plastic?)