Macross Frontier Episode 21 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 20  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Rating???????

• Positive (Faster Klan, Kill! Kill!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Kill Klan! Kill Klan!)

Is it just me, or is Leon obsessed with the really big weapons? First he encourages President Glass to use the Reflex Warheads. Then he helps Grace build Dimension Eaters. Now he's ordering Battle Frontier to sortie.

Do ya think he's compensating for something?

/duck

This episode didn't have much of an impact but it was still good. Probably cos Michel's death ate much of the drama in 20. Super pack Klan was fun to watch but it felt weird and had very little screen time. Couldn't she have entered her Queadlunn-Rea instead like she did later in the episode? Klan also had one line er word in this entire episode too. Seeing the pic in Michel's helm really made me feel sorry for Klan again. :( Overall it was good but not impressive.

Anyway, the last 1/4 of the series remains and I hope Grace and Leon will finally reveal their master plan. Hopefully Macross Galaxy will show its ugly face again since episode 15.

I think a season 2 is in the works. While we are hurtling to a conclusion of some kind to the Vajra, the build-up for Macross Galaxy so far has been too minimal to come off as a big "Bwuh?" if they´d have them turn out to be the endboss in the last episode.

Is it just me, or is Leon obsessed with the really big weapons? First he encourages President Glass to use the Reflex Warheads. Then he helps Grace build Dimension Eaters. Now he's ordering Battle Frontier to sortie.

/duck

Fires "Reaction" Weapon at junior.

Leon strikes me as a dictator wannabee.

After Space War 1 or even the Unification War there is no place in society for a dictator.

The last guy who tried a coup on Earth was Wilbur Garland and it failed despite his elaborate plan.

Ohh... He's a dictator of 10 million people after that what will he do?

Attack Earth? Eden? The colonies? the fleets?

Heck just send Chlore's fleet and he's finished. Not to mention Battle Frontier is a pea shooter compared to Earth's Grand Canon.

After watching Ranka really flounder the last episode, I am much happier with this turnaround in her character, although in a ways, 20 was a regression for her overall.

I was also very touched by the last image of Ranka that was showing at the end of the credits. It was a beautiful illustration. Wish we had it without the credits.

Of course, now with the last few episodes, I'm still bothered by Alto's cardboard reactions. Is he unable to understand the enemy as a complex creature with perhaps its own issues? When he was about to off Ai-kun, and Brera b*tchslapped him, I actually was completely in agreement with Brera's actions. If the next episode isn't about Alto and allowing him to process and mature things, then I'll be seroiusly annoyed and start rooting for him to eat the pineapple.

(Based on the preview though, it looks like the next episode will let Alto sort of figure things out. I hope.)

I'm sure Alto would be quite willing for tea time with cuddly little killing machine, if his buddies were blowing the shi

take

out of his friends every chance they got without fail.

If bears attacked you a thousand times, and you've killed them a thousand times, AND they've killed people close to you, are you gonna sit still and do nothing when your friend jumps in front of one and says, 'No no! It's cool! This is a NICE bear!" ^_^

Doesn't work that way.

Frankly the Vajra are going to have to PROVE they want peace before any kind of ceasefire is agreed. At this point the Vajra are still mindless hordes ravaging a fleet that did nothing to warrant attack. YES, this was a war that was engineered by a third party, but that doesn't mean the bugs should get a free pass for killing at will. "It's their nature" doesn't fly with the fact that the Vajra fleet came out shooting in episode 14, while they were trying to communicate with Ranka.

Honestly, the Vajra are only bringing the dimension eaters on themselves at this point. They should have let the Frontier fleet go when they had a chance, now its time for Alto the xenocide to step up.

Honestly, the Vajra are only bringing the dimension eaters on themselves at this point. They should have let the Frontier fleet go when they had a chance, now its time for Alto the xenocide to step up.

I see what you did there. :lol:

Indeed Alto's reaction is not unwarranted. In fact if he said "oh okay" after Ranka said Ai-kun was nice, I'd be more in disbelief.

I think a season 2 is in the works. While we are hurtling to a conclusion of some kind to the Vajra, the build-up for Macross Galaxy so far has been too minimal to come off as a big "Bwuh?" if they´d have them turn out to be the endboss in the last episode.

There won't be a second season. Macross hasn't been known for making more than 1 season for TV series and Studio Nue would have announced it by now if there would be. Even 7 which had 50+ episodes was only 1 season. They may however make OAVs and movies for Frontier like 7 but I seriously doubt it would have anything to do with fighting Vajra.

Edited by Windrider

There won't be a second season. Macross hasn't been known for making more than 1 season for TV series and Studio Nue would have announced it by now if there would be. Even 7 which had 50+ episodes was only 1 season. They may however make OAVs and movies for Frontier like 7 but I seriously doubt it would have anything to do with fighting Vajra.

I don't think Studio Nue has anything to do with this anymore, it's Kawamori and Satelight. Studio Nue has only been credited as the "original creator" as far as I can tell, ditto with Macross Zero.

Good episode. Retains the dark sense of foreboding established by the previous one.

Valk girl Klan was an interesting fanservice after Michel's death. Anyone notice that she's using Michel's super packs?

I only watched the episode once. I'm not sure my Japanese heard it correctly, but I think Ranka said she will be going for the sake of Ai-kun's kind. I'm not sure if she said where she was going though (I assume they'll be going straight for the Vajra hives).

So they're consistently using the names of ending theme songs as episode titles. I second the notion that Northern Cross Episode will end with that song as well. ^_^ I wonder if they'll keep doing that until the end.

I only watched the episode once. I'm not sure my Japanese heard it correctly, but I think Ranka said she will be going for the sake of Ai-kun's kind. I'm not sure if she said where she was going though (I assume they'll be going straight for the Vajra hives).

She said that she's started to remember things from her past, little by little, and while she finds it frightening she feels that it is something she needs to know.

That seems to be her main reason for her leaving. Then she mentions she should at least return Ai-kun to his friends.

So she seems to be leaving more for her own sake, rather.

She said that she's started to remember things from her past, little by little, and while she finds it frightening she feels that it is something she needs to know.

That seems to be her main reason for her leaving. Then she mentions she should at least return Ai-kun to his friends.

So she seems to be leaving more for her own sake, rather.

I can sense Arjuna/Aquarion ending :wacko:

I give my full support to Alto and co to exterminate the Vajra with no remorse, unleash those DE and MDE to the bugs, susume...Frontier! :o

I am thinking about beginning a collection of quotes like this one, just for the case we do get a second season. :p

The Dimension Eater on this episode have a radius around 50 m, so I guess this is a medium size DE. The one that devour Galia IV must be the XL size and I wonder how small the Mini DE ammo later will be. (Imagining Vajra's being teared apart by many holes of DE).

Did the population on Island 3 were evacuated before the detonation (since I only saw 3 VF escaping from it)? Darn, this mean no more Hippo cows soft cream, and Mr.Tokugawa lost his job :(

/duck

If you're gonna type Reflex Warheads, you should also type Remention eater ;)

:lol: Good one. But if the ARMD arms get blown of again what are they suppose to refit as new arms for the Macross? :mellow:

Two Macross Quarters, of course ;)

It would be called Macross 150% :lol:

good episode...positive vote...but I'm with Duke Togo on this one, I kind of feel that I don't understand where the series is going... maybe 5-7 episodes lefts and I don't understand what are Leon and Grace plans?, why the Vajra attack?, what is Brera really doing? what the hell is Ranka and how is Frontier going to solve this?, but I'm still enjoying this very much

Frankly these are things that are usually told very late in the series nowadays. Sometimes they are not told at all, but I think this will not be the case for Frontier.

Anyway, the Vajra are attracted by fold comunications and reaction engines. I guessed it's because they use fold comunications as well (I think they did capture Luca exactly because he used fold comunications with his ghosts). Also it was said that Grace used fold comunications to lure Vajra to Frontier (as per Operation Carnival).

My guess is also that they see Ranka as one of their own kind, and they are trying to free her.

I don't think Studio Nue has anything to do with this anymore, it's Kawamori and Satelight. Studio Nue has only been credited as the "original creator" as far as I can tell, ditto with Macross Zero.

Well, mainly it's personnel responsible for the mecha design: Kawamori, Miyatake and Itano Ichiro (as action choreographer). Also Masaharu Chiba, who created a technical dojinshi and later was assimilated in the staff or something. The old scriptwriters of Studio Nue all got their own career.

FV

@ about 0:18 that's alto mind set by now. :lol:

"Out of the vaporized ashes of ISLAND 3 comes first sorrow. Then; anger. 'The only Good Bug is a Dead Bug.'" :ph34r:

Also about that little scene when Ranka and the evolved Ai-Kun meet again. Somebodsy here said that there was something soooo wrong about that scene.......

WARNING: Do not open the pic below if you do not want to gouge your eyes afterward. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

Also about that little scene when Ranka and the evolved Ai-Kun meet again. Somebodsy here said that there was something soooo wrong about that scene.......

WARNING: Do not open the pic below if you do not want to gouge your eyes afterward. :lol:

Looks like Ai-kun is devouring Ranka.

The Dimension Eater on this episode have a radius around 50 m, so I guess this is a medium size DE. The one that devour Galia IV must be the XL size and I wonder how small the Mini DE ammo later will be. (Imagining Vajra's being teared apart by many holes of DE).

I presume you meant 50 km, aka 50,000 meters. ;)

I'm still bothered by Alto's cardboard reactions. Is he unable to understand the enemy as a complex creature with perhaps its own issues? When he was about to off Ai-kun, and Brera b*tchslapped him, I actually was completely in agreement with Brera's actions. If the next episode isn't about Alto and allowing him to process and mature things, then I'll be seroiusly annoyed and start rooting for him to eat the pineapple.

(Based on the preview though, it looks like the next episode will let Alto sort of figure things out. I hope.)

are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As far as I am concerned, Ranka acted completely immature. I've just glossed over the episode but as far as I know hundreds of people died in very horrible ways, incl. mutual friend Michael -gored and sucke out into space-, in the process blowing up an entire ship filled with people's homes, and her reaction is to allow Brera to pound Alto and go away to save her pet Vajra whose cousins just caused all that terrible mess not 24 hours ago? And you blame Alto for his reactions which would be completely normal as an adult? This is perhaps the one time I can agree with an anime character's cardboard reaction of crying out a person's name... in disgust and disbelief, I hope.

Seriosuly, after the deaths of thousands of people and the ensueing destruction, the only reason why one should try to understand Vajra is to figure out the best way to eliminate their asses from space, not to "understand" and live in harmony with those who seem more than willing to come and destroy your homes and kill your freinds and family any time they wish.

Frankly the Vajra are going to have to PROVE they want peace before any kind of ceasefire is agreed. At this point the Vajra are still mindless hordes ravaging a fleet that did nothing to warrant attack.

Well we don't yet know what 117th fleet or proto-culture did to them, which could had turn them into treating all monkeys as hostile. And they probably don't like their crystal getting harvested.

YES, this was a war that was engineered by a third party, but that doesn't mean the bugs should get a free pass for killing at will. "It's their nature" doesn't fly with the fact that the Vajra fleet came out shooting in episode 14, while they were trying to communicate with Ranka.

Their queen was attacked by VF-27 and the planet was attacked by a dimension eater before they responded. Before that they were not attacking the Zentradi group that had stayed on that planet for a while.

just to reinterate Ranka's immaturity - since some ppl seem to like how her character "matured" in this episode - I think its immature for her to parade a Vajra in front of Alto not hours after his best friend got killed by one of it and declare that she is going to go save it. If she really wanted to save it, she should've done it discreetly and come back without upsetting Alto.

Also, I think its immature for her to care more for a Vajra drone than Ozma. There's just been a big battle and many ppl killed, and as far as I can tell she hasn't even asked about Ozma, her other brother who has care for her for more than a decade. Shouldn't she be in near panic that he's missing?

I think Ranka did tie up loose ends, after all, I think that note by Nanase's bedside was from her so if she had time to say goodbye to her in a note, Ranka must have had time to at least leave something for her brother.

Give Ranka a break guys, I'm a huge Sheryl fan myself and I saw nothing wrong with this episode. It was actually a good one for Ranka to devellop herself comsidering the last episode's debacle. She's finally doing things on her own and wants to help in the best way she can even if she's scared shitless about her memories coming back.

Plus she finally told Alto how she felt. I had a feeling she'd be the first to tell him and even if she left right after, it doesn't mean she won't end up with Alto. I'm not saying I'm cheering for them to get together, I'm just being realistic. Kawamori could throw anything at us at this point.

Aoi no Eeteru was a great song, shows the growth in Ranka's singing and was very emotinal.

On a side note, did Sheryl hear what was going on through her earring and is she living at the Saotome household now?

are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As far as I am concerned, Ranka acted completely immature. I've just glossed over the episode but as far as I know hundreds of people died in very horrible ways, incl. mutual friend Michael -gored and sucke out into space-, in the process blowing up an entire ship filled with people's homes, and her reaction is to allow Brera to pound Alto and go away to save her pet Vajra whose cousins just caused all that terrible mess not 24 hours ago? And you blame Alto for his reactions which would be completely normal as an adult? This is perhaps the one time I can agree with an anime character's cardboard reaction of crying out a person's name... in disgust and disbelief, I hope.

Seriosuly, after the deaths of thousands of people and the ensueing destruction, the only reason why one should try to understand Vajra is to figure out the best way to eliminate their asses from space, not to "understand" and live in harmony with those who seem more than willing to come and destroy your homes and kill your freinds and family any time they wish.

Wow. Clearly, Ranka is going to become the solution to the problem, and you would take that away from them?

One way or another, if Ranka didn't go, Frontier would be doomed. Either they WON'T be able to wipe out the Vajra, or there will be some compelling reason why they SHOULDN'T.

As for showing Ai-kun to Alto, I think the desire to say goodbye (possibly for the last time) to someone you love is an understandable one. Ditto the hope that that loved one will understand and accept your actions.

Ranka did what she needed to do, no question about it. She's going to SOLVE THE VAJRA PROBLEM. It makes perfect sense.

She did it because she think she's the reason why Vajra are attacking Frontier, and besides where the hell they went into? Galia IV is wrecked, Galaxy is still hiding, or they go to

Megaroad 1 so she could ask for some advice from the legendary Minmay.

:ph34r:

Ranka did what she needed to do, no question about it. She's going to SOLVE THE VAJRA PROBLEM. It makes perfect sense.

WHA..you mean SHERYL is not going to make a comeback and save the day all by herself? You mean poor, childlike, underdeveloped, little Ranka is going to do this own her own? Miss Galaxy Fairy can't handle the Vajra by herself? Man this is going to come as a great disapointment to all those Sheryl fans!! I thought Sheryl could do anything after all "she is Sheryl Nome"(whatever that means). Personally, I hope Ranka does save the day without any help from Sheryl or the lame SMS. I hope they try to use Sheryl like they did Minmay with her singing on the bridge of the Battle 25, and it doesn't work! YES I AM raging against Sheryl!!! :angry: AND NO I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR HER ONE BIT!!!! Sheryl is just an Asuka wantabe the writers threw in so Macross F is could be "different" from the other series. Her attitude, her sickness, her depression, all reeks of Asuka AND I HATE EVANGELION!!! Now that Ranka is gone, we'll have several episodes of her and Alto growing closer (vomit!). I hope they end up together BECAUSE RANKA DESERVES BETTER THAN THAT BLOCKHEADED

ALTO!! ^_^

WHA..you mean SHERYL is not going to make a comeback and save the day all by herself? You mean poor, childlike, underdeveloped, little Ranka is going to do this own her own? Miss Galaxy Fairy can't handle the Vajra by herself? Man this is going to come as a great disapointment to all those Sheryl fans!! I thought Sheryl could do anything after all "she is Sheryl Nome"(whatever that means). Personally, I hope Ranka does save the day without any help from Sheryl or the lame SMS. I hope they try to use Sheryl like they did Minmay with her singing on the bridge of the Battle 25, and it doesn't work! YES I AM raging against Sheryl!!! :angry: AND NO I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR HER ONE BIT!!!! Sheryl is just an Asuka wantabe the writers threw in so Macross F is could be "different" from the other series. Her attitude, her sickness, her depression, all reeks of Asuka AND I HATE EVANGELION!!! Now that Ranka is gone, we'll have several episodes of her and Alto growing closer (vomit!). I hope they end up together BECAUSE RANKA DESERVES BETTER THAN THAT BLOCKHEADED

ALTO!! ^_^

:lol:

Well for me it doesn't matter who Alto chooses as long as the ending won't be open-ended. Ranka finally realizing her true connection with the Vajra proved to be a painful blow for her. She would only put Frontier to harm if she stayed. At least for once she decided to do something on her own will.

Edited by Windrider

ALTO!! ^_^

You remind me of the Animesuki forum :D