Macross Frontier Episode 13 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 13 rating  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 13 Rating

• Positive (OMG!!!!! MACROSS!!!!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Talk about Jumping the Shark...)

Well, the Vajra attack on the 117th Long Distance Research Fleet was circa 2048, so that picture must be have been taken earlier than that. Mao Nome was born on 1997 (She was 11 during the events of Macross Zero, which took place in 2008)... So she must have been 50-51 years old, not 60... She wasn't that old... :rolleyes:

All this comes from the Compendium...

Why is it so hard to believe that Mao would be the grandmother and not the mother of Ranka? Are you guys just determined to have her be the mother?

Was a very nice scene of female bonding that, girls being girls they started doing each other's hair.... wait, what? :mellow:

You gotta be careful and remove those yuri-goggles from time to time.

First, i gotta say i consider myself old-school fan since the SDF:M tv series. And I'm already a much bigger fan of M:Frontier than some of the other Macross series. I like Frontier ALOT!! :)

anyway, my point is, the mystery behind what happened to megaroad 1 has lingered on precisely because it is still unrevealed to this day. sure i would love a resolution or an answer, and i would be the first to watch it. but I personally wouldn't mind it too much if it remained a mystery forever. in that way, it will live forever.

after all, i actually have this lingering fear of the day that SK will suddenly decide to finally tell the story, and that the story would be awful. it could be a big whopping letdown after 25 years of now knowing. if that would be the case, maybe i'd rather not know. :mellow:

Yah, its so true. kinda conflicting though - on one hand i've always been wondering and wanting to know what really happened to the Megaroad and its crew, on the other hand, i'm scared that the story will suck/make me unhappy. :p

I'd like to see a story about the remnants of the SA.

I've always like the idea of them waking up one day after the PD were sealed and realizing that they had no home anymore and what was worse they were fighting for their survival against a vastly outnumbering enemy.

Everyone "assumes" the Macross era SA are the agressors. Why? Because they are the enemy of the Zentreadi?

It seems a bit hard to believe that they'd still be brainwashed after a half a million years when the Megaroad crew could be snapped out of direct mind control of the PD by the persistent singing of one rock star.

Maybe they woke up and some chose to fight for their lives while others took a more agressive path?

They are as much an enigma as the PC are...

In fact, after such a long time, the SA would've been many many generations after those early generation brain-washed SA folks. How would the SA breed new brainwashed army of their kind? especially after PD were sealed, we can assume the PD basically lost all their influence/control on the SA?

Could it be that the more recent/new generations of SA were no longer under PD control? Considering the humans didn't have any contact with the SA, who knows maybe the Zentradi were not telling everything they know about SA to their human allies or were not very objective regarding the SA (they were at war, probably were very biased about the enemy). I've always suspected that the Zents were not telling everything in that SDF:M Episode where they found the damaged second SA gunship. Exsedol/Breetai seemed to be very guarded and insisted that all info about SA were given to the humans although they were right that it could be a booby trap. However, they couldn't find the SA ship later... which is really fishy to me - either that SA gunship is really a booby trap (but why would it disappear afterwards?) or some one else removed it (Zents?).

The SA were a combination of PC and Zents, and if they were really not under PD control, they would be very similar to the allied forces of humans and Zents - without PD influence, the SA would be 'cultured' too. They could be a sad case where their culture could not win over the giants, SA being vastly outnumbered.

Actually... It should be the Protoculture instead... The Supervision Army were a bunch of brainwashed zombies... I don't believe anything could be learned from them at all... ^_^

Or maybe the crew of the Megaroad defend the Protoculture left at the center of the galaxy from a Supervision Army fleet and they get all transported to another galaxy, hehehe... even better!!! :lol:

Actually a more probable reason is that Hikaru finally had enough of Misa who is such a control freak - with her bitching and barking out orders all the time, including during work and at home, its hard to imagine Hikaru will be able to tolerate her much longer. The sly Minmay knew this was coming thats why she boarded the Megaroad too, waiting for a chance. Hikaru needed someone to confide to, and Minmay was being so understanding and gentle, its no surprise that sooner or later they will have an affair. Misa finally found out that Hikaru was faking his flying hours :p when he was really f**king Minmay, she got so pissed that she flew the Megaroad straight into the SuperMassive Blackhole at the center of Milky Way. :ph34r:

Actually a more probable reason is that Hikaru finally had enough of Misa who is such a control freak - with her bitching and barking out orders all the time, including during work and at home, its hard to imagine Hikaru will be able to tolerate her much longer. The sly Minmay knew this was coming thats why she boarded the Megaroad too, waiting for a chance. Hikaru needed someone to confide to, and Minmay was being so understanding and gentle, its no surprise that sooner or later they will have an affair. Misa finally found out that Hikaru was faking his flying hours :p when he was really f**king Minmay, she got so pissed that she flew the Megaroad straight into the SuperMassive Blackhole at the center of Milky Way. :ph34r:

That's IT! E-mail this to Big West immediately so they can include it in the Macross Chronicle! :lol:

Was a very nice scene of female bonding that, girls being girls they started doing each other's hair.... wait, what? :mellow:

I let a girl or two french braid my hair back when it was long. I really didn't like the way it looked or felt, but they enjoyed it. I cared about them and was perfectly content to let them have their fun. Perhaps it was those memories that made me think that was a cute relationship scene between Alto & Ranka.

As for the rest of the episode, holy cats, Grace is a beech! It looks like someone figured out how Gigil's powers worked... The Global was interesting. As I'd mentioned in the WTF-1 thread, I'm a little disappointed that it was a red herring, but glad since it went boom. I'd be willing to bet that it was a very different ship internally from the SDF-1, even if it looked similar on the the outside. Probably fewer cavernous areas for teens to get lost in. All in all, great episode - the show's certainly gone back to gritty! Can't wait for this weeks, 171 FTW!

I'm actually starting to think LAI may not be as involved as some of us think. Perhaps they are pawns in the grand scheme just as Frontier is and Gallia 4 was. However I really have to wonder why they would develop something like the Dimension Eater. Maybe Grace's people wanted to frame LAI as a fail safe for their plan if their idea of a Vajra/human war didn't play out. Grace's people make the Dimension Eater, make it seem like LAI built it and everyone gets mad at that company. The only problem to this theory is the actual Dimension Eater device was destroyed in it's own Fold Fault explosion (the Zentradi refer to the explosion as an unidentified fold fault forming).

One way to explain why LAI would develop a Dimension Eater or a Fold Fault Surface generator is because they need to develop their new fold booster... they needed to understand more about the fault surface and also they might want to create some fault surface so that they can test the fold booster. :p

Also, the dimension eater can be used as a means of defense too - by having lots of fault surfaces around a location, say the Earth, they will no longer need to be worried about enemies (such as uncultured Zentradi) suddenly space-folding in and start blasting Earth. Allied forces can use the new booster and fold-in their reinforcements in front of the attackers.

:unsure:

Edited by Shun

That's IT! E-mail this to Big West immediately so they can include it in the Macross Chronicle! :lol:

thanks. ^_^ so u think its very possible too yeah? :ph34r:

who wouldn't want to f**k their first love or that pretty idol. :ph34r: so hard to resist

I don`t think we want a rehash of the original series, we want a continuation of it. Ideally we want a series about the Megaroad where our original heroes confront the Supervision Army at the centre of the Galaxy and learn the secrets of the universe ala 2010. "Its full of stars" type sh*t with some massive fleet battles, valkyrie action, and a love triangle between the offspring of the original characters. I think that series is the logical and ultimately necessary one to round out the franchise. Without it Macross will never be complete to me.

Then Macross will never be complete to you, because Kawamori is never gonna go there.

Well, the Vajra attack on the 117th Long Distance Research Fleet was circa 2048, so that picture must be have been taken earlier than that. Mao Nome was born on 1997 (She was 11 during the events of Macross Zero, which took place in 2008)... So she must have been 50-51 years old, not 60... She wasn't that old... :rolleyes:

All this comes from the Compendium...

Took the liberty of tweaking the pic in PS to bring the details out a bit. :D

Could be Mao.... Background look sorta like Galia 4...

hmmm if that's the same woman as the one talking in Ranka's flashback, then she's probably named ランシェ・メイ (Ranshe Mei/May)... name shown in the ep 13 ending credits.

BTW, if Mao is gonna be the ancestor of Sheryl Nome, how are they gonna explain the surname? usually the daughter takes on the father's surname isn't it? of coz there's gonna be a lot of possibilities - divorced single mum, artificial insemination, cloning, etc etc...

hmmm if that's the same woman as the one talking in Ranka's flashback, then she's probably named ランシェ・メイ (Ranshe Mei/May)... name shown in the ep 13 ending credits.

BTW, if Mao is gonna be the ancestor of Sheryl Nome, how are they gonna explain the surname? usually the daughter takes on the father's surname isn't it? of coz there's gonna be a lot of possibilities - divorced single mum, artificial insemination, cloning, etc etc...

Given a percentage of Macross society is Japanese, there are cases where the wife is of higher status in society that the husband is the one who takes in the wife's family name.

I don't know if this has been posted already, but have anybody noticed that Ranka's "father" looks a lot like a younger version of Ozma? I thought the 2 adults in the family photo from Episode 13 were Ranka and Brera's parents, but after carefully watching the image I noticed that the woman in the right is short enough to be Dr. Mao and u can never see her face well. She also seems to be wearing a lab coat...

Perhaps both Brera and Ranka are clones and Ozma's story about Ranka's parents is a cover up!!!

Well remember Ranka's 1/4 Zentradi, so one of her grandparents had to have married one, and Mao would be in or near her 20s when the original series ended? I think it's much more likely that she'd be Ranka's grandmother than anything else. Also, the hair her mother has looks like the same green that Ranka's is and Mao's was a dark brown.

And the guy looks similar to Ozma, but the hair's the wrong color and the face looks different. Ozma could've been stationed on the 117th Research Fleet as a pilot and Ranka's father was his wingman.

Given a percentage of Macross society is Japanese, there are cases where the wife is of higher status in society that the husband is the one who takes in the wife's family name.

if i'm not wrong, the husband taking on the wife's name only in very rare cases, not necessarily family status though. similar to western and chinese cultures - very rarely.

i googled n found this link

so i think its mostly done only when the family dont have a son to inherit their surname. and seems they have similar culture as the chinese - its considered quite embarrassing for a man to take on his wife's surname, or to have their kids carry the wife's surname.

But i'm not very knowledgeable about Japanese culture so hopefully someone who knows more will clarify this.

One way to explain why LAI would develop a Dimension Eater or a Fold Fault Surface generator is because they need to develop their new fold booster... they needed to understand more about the fault surface and also they might want to create some fault surface so that they can test the fold booster. :p

Also, the dimension eater can be used as a means of defense too - by having lots of fault surfaces around a location, say the Earth, they will no longer need to be worried about enemies (such as uncultured Zentradi) suddenly space-folding in and start blasting Earth. Allied forces can use the new booster and fold-in their reinforcements in front of the attackers.

:unsure:

You know if you read the paragraph after the one you quoted I basically said that as another possibility (thought not about using it for defense, just using it to make faults to sell the new fold booster).

I am starting to wonder if some people read all of some posts or just parts of them, :lol: , jk.

Well remember Ranka's 1/4 Zentradi, so one of her grandparents had to have married one, and Mao would be in or near her 20s when the original series ended? I think it's much more likely that she'd be Ranka's grandmother than anything else. Also, the hair her mother has looks like the same green that Ranka's is and Mao's was a dark brown.

And the guy looks similar to Ozma, but the hair's the wrong color and the face looks different. Ozma could've been stationed on the 117th Research Fleet as a pilot and Ranka's father was his wingman.

Unbelievably at the time of Macross Zero Mao was 11 years old. (Shin Kudo you lolicon <_< )

So when SDF Macross occured she was 12 and by the time the Megaroad 1 launched she's 13 to 14 years old.

I LOVE it!! quick Shoji, quit making frontier and write this one NOW!!! :D

oh that minmei, such a sly one. a certified kitsune. :)

I personally never liked the idea of the "transforming" NMC, but have come to accept it as it is. As a carrier with a big gun, I didn't see the necessity. However, Kawamori did and I found a way to appreciate it at least in cruiser mode.

The reasoning for the transforming aspect of the SDF as I understood it was to help facilitate easier maintenance of the Dimensional reactors and the twin boom cannons. It makes sense to me.

I realized one more reason to why they still use transforming Macross class ships if you remember seeing Macross Quarter in action. It is easier to aim, turn around and fire the main gun and other weapons. Also concentrates fire or spreed it out. The bigger the ship, the the more time you need to turn around to fire the right weapon. In Macross 7 it was called battle mode. Macross 7 Strongest Woman, Macross Frontier episode 7 (and 14 according to the previews) and even the first macross series there they fight the Dolzas main fleet can give you some idea what I mean.

You know if you read the paragraph after the one you quoted I basically said that as another possibility (thought not about using it for defense, just using it to make faults to sell the new fold booster).

I am starting to wonder if some people read all of some posts or just parts of them, :lol: , jk.

haha. at one point, you have to let go of that theory. If you love it you gotta set it free. :p

I understood what you were saying before, i just didn't really like it that much. much too circuitous, IMO. create fold faults just to sell the booster? doesn't make sense. i'm pretty sure the dimension eater costs a lot to make, and remember that you have to destroy it with each use. and besides, a fold booster that can offer almost instantaneous fold? it will sell like hotcakes with no need of marketing. it's a technology you just gotta have, no question about it.

on the other hand, i like what shun said. if the Deater can create fold faults, it can be used as a defensive weapon to prevent unwanted folds into UNG space.

I realized one more reason to why they still use transforming Macross class ships if you remember seeing Macross Quarter in action. It is easier to aim, turn around and fire the main gun and other weapons. Also concentrates fire or spreed it out. The bigger the ship, the the more time you need to turn around to fire the right weapon. In Macross 7 it was called battle mode. Macross 7 Strongest Woman, Macross Frontier episode 7 (and 14 according to the previews) and even the first macross series there they fight the Dolzas main fleet can give you some idea what I mean.

actually this is already stated on the newbie thread, Battle 7 transforms to have a wider firing arc, but props for your good reasoning, altought we all new Battle 7 transform to that silly robot mode just to sell more toys, sadly, there was never a battle 7 toy made, hahahaha

if i'm not wrong, the husband taking on the wife's name only in very rare cases, not necessarily family status though. similar to western and chinese cultures - very rarely.

i googled n found this link

so i think its mostly done only when the family dont have a son to inherit their surname. and seems they have similar culture as the chinese - its considered quite embarrassing for a man to take on his wife's surname, or to have their kids carry the wife's surname.

But i'm not very knowledgeable about Japanese culture so hopefully someone who knows more will clarify this.

I had a girlfriend years ago who was, I believe, from a very wealthy family (at least, her dad owned several golf courses in Tokyo...), and, as she was the oldest of three daughters (and no sons), there was a lot of talk of whoever she ended up marrying taking her surname (before you ask, I was never in the running...I don't think her parents would approve of her marrying a gaijin, or even dating one :ph34r: ).

Anyway, she got married and it didn't end up happening, because her husband REALLY didn't want it to. And that's the only situation, Evangelion aside, where I've even heard TALK about that rare custom...

haha. at one point, you have to let go of that theory. If you love it you gotta set it free. :p

I understood what you were saying before, i just didn't really like it that much. much too circuitous, IMO. create fold faults just to sell the booster? doesn't make sense. i'm pretty sure the dimension eater costs a lot to make, and remember that you have to destroy it with each use. and besides, a fold booster that can offer almost instantaneous fold? it will sell like hotcakes with no need of marketing. it's a technology you just gotta have, no question about it.

on the other hand, i like what shun said. if the Deater can create fold faults, it can be used as a defensive weapon to prevent unwanted folds into UNG space.

It was just an idea... thought it made sense at the time. I agree though I don't really think that is the reason, it was just something that popped into my head that clicked with what we know.

Ok, this topic has been moved down to make room for the ep.14 thread. Isn't it about time for March to salute this episode with his patented topic closing reviews?

I think this thread needs to die, now. TOO MUCH SPECULATION!!! :p

No need to take it down, since most of those SPECULATIONS you'll be talking about will be re-spawning in the Episode 14 Thread. :ph34r:

WOW with the appearance of he Episode 14 Thread, I can't wait to see those "things" we saw in the preview of Episode 13. ^_^

The wait is actually starting to kill me. :ph34r:

I think this thread needs to die, now. TOO MUCH SPECULATION!!! :p

The Dimension Eater's going to eat Klan in an upcoming episode. Then Michael will say, "NOOO! Klan's been eaten! Damn you, Dimension Eater! Eat THIS!" Then he'll get eaten, too. Then the Dimension Eater will eat other people, too, while they shout, "NOOOO! The Dimension Eater is eating us!"

It'll be GREAT.

With epi. 14 coming, I want to say Rest In Peace Global, you're debut in MF surely makes us shock/grief/anger and its probably one of the best WTF scheme in Macross franchise. May your ruin find eternal peace inside the dimension eater guts.

I think we should keep the thread pinned and retitle it "Reflections Upon Macross as a Whole, Sparked by Frontier Reaching its Halfway Point."

for a split-second there, i thought you wrote "Macross as a Whale".

Dynamite... dynamite...everyday everynight everywhere! :p

The Dimension Eater's going to eat Klan in an upcoming episode. Then Michael will say, "NOOO! Klan's been eaten! Damn you, Dimension Eater! Eat THIS!" Then he'll get eaten, too. Then the Dimension Eater will eat other people, too, while they shout, "NOOOO! The Dimension Eater is eating us!"

It'll be GREAT.

Man, that is AWESOME!

but you're forgetting the last part. when the dimension eater reaches frontier, the green critter will jump off nanase's chest and shout, "No, MOFO, I'M eating YOU!!". leaving the green critter as king of the known universe... sitting atop nanase's twin pillows, of course. B))

Man, that is AWESOME!

but you're forgetting the last part. when the dimension eater reaches frontier, the green critter will jump off nanase's chest and shout, "No, MOFO, I'M eating YOU!!". leaving the green critter as king of the known universe... sitting atop nanase's twin pillows, of course. B))

:lol: ROFL!!

Man, that is AWESOME!

*has ecchi thoughts about Nanase's pillows but doesn't elaborate for fear of banning ^_^*

With epi. 14 coming, I want to say Rest In Peace Global, you're debut in MF surely makes us shock/grief/anger and its probably one of the best WTF scheme in Macross franchise. May your ruin find eternal peace inside the dimension eater guts.

Amen. B))