Macross Frontier News Thread III *Read 1st post*

azrael

Abit off topic but speaking of japanese singers singing in english, I recently discovered this Singaporean born Olivia Ong through some of her english jazzy tunes and later found out she was also part of the J-pop group Mirai....no wonder some of them english songs sound un-engrish! :lol:

Okay, for those who didn't know that Megumi is Half-Filipino:

Cross-posting from Animesuki:

Explains why her English pronounciations in the Ranka songs are so much better than May'ns...

Again, listen to May'n's version of "Papa Don't Preach" before you say that...

I have a theory though as to why her Papa Don't Preach has fairly good pronunciation - she's been listening to Madonna as a kid, and kept singing and singing the words to it, imitating both Madonna's singing and accent. For What 'bout my Star, Don't be Late, etc, she didn't have a model to pattern her pronunciation from, and perhaps someone taught her how to speak it properly, but she didn't have as much practice.

I have a theory though as to why her Papa Don't Preach has fairly good pronunciation - she's been listening to Madonna as a kid, and kept singing and singing the words to it, imitating both Madonna's singing and accent. For What 'bout my Star, Don't be Late, etc, she didn't have a model to pattern her pronunciation from, and perhaps someone taught her how to speak it properly, but she didn't have as much practice.

That's...highly probable.

I still think her English pronunciation on the Sheryl songs is fine, though. At least, I've heard J-Pop singers who are MUCH worse...

Again, listen to May'n's version of "Papa Don't Preach" before you say that...

One song compared to many really doesn't compare...

When one considers Megumi most likely grew up with much more English in her home than May'n, it would be much easier to pronounce words she recognizes as opposed to May'n.

It would be like me trying to sing a j-pop song. The words I recognize would be close, but I know I'd be butchering the majority of the Japanese pronounciations...

Edited by Zinjo

Another Macross F manga?

Macross Frontier Encounter.

Macross Frontier Encounter on the official site

I think that's a light novel.

I just checked the release dates of the singles and found that the Triangle OP single was released some 2 weeks after the broadcast of the first episode. "Lion", the 2nd OP single is being released on the 20th next month, so that means that we may very well have the new OP either this week or the next if we're going by that trend.

That also makes sense since we've passed the halfway clipshow mark and the story is now entering into the next part of it's arc.

Edited by Strumvogel

One song compared to many really doesn't compare...

When one considers Megumi most likely grew up with much more English in her home than May'n, it would be much easier to pronounce words she recognizes as opposed to May'n.

It would be like me trying to sing a j-pop song. The words I recognize would be close, but I know I'd be butchering the majority of the Japanese pronounciations...

Unless you learned it phonetically, as most singers do...

And I mentioned "Papa Don'T Preach" because it's the most obvious, but on her entire first two singles, the English sounds fine. "Fallin' In or Not" doesn't sound quite as good, though, but that may be because the words are put to a completely unnatural sounding rhythm..."FAL-lin' in OR NO~OT"...I defy anyone with English experience to sing that and sound natural.

and I don't see what's so bad about her English pronunciation in the Sheryl songs, anyway...as I said before, I've heard MUCH worse from J-Pop singers...at the very least, she (thankfully0 doesn't sing, "It's wrong, wrong goodbye..."

c0052350_48855c8f785cb.jpg

CD Jacket image for Macross F 2nd Opening Theme "Lion" Single Album

Someone posted this in AnimeSuki:

Translation: The new opening song for Macross Frontier Sci-Fi anime is the duet song between the main characters Sheryl and Ranka. The song conveys a strong feeling of "I want to survive."

The new ending theme is from a Sheryl in love that conveys a sad and painful feeling to the point of tears. The lyrics from the heart are straight forward and deeply moving.

"Sheryl in love" eh... sad and painful?! Oh well, if it's like another Diamond Crevasse (this time for Alto)...

I'll refrain from analyzing the "I want to survive" part... :p

and I don't see what's so bad about her English pronunciation in the Sheryl songs, anyway...as I said before, I've heard MUCH worse from J-Pop singers...at the very least, she (thankfully0 doesn't sing, "It's wrong, wrong goodbye..."

I didn't say it was bad, just not as good as Ranka's and there is a reason for that...

Forgot about these:

*4.5% (*5.0%) 07/10 (Thu) *7:30pm-*7:57pm TV Tokyo NARUTO Shippuuden

*4.5% (*4.4%) 07/12 (Sat) 10:00am-10:30am TV Tokyo Keroro Gunsou [sergeant Frog]

*4.5% (*4.1%) 07/12 (Sat) 11:20am-11:45am TV Asahi ATASHIn'CHI

*4.2% (*5.1%) 07/12 (Sat) *8:30am-*9:00am TV Tokyo Oha Coliseum

*3.9% (*3.9%) 07/12 (Sat) *9:30am-10:00am TV Tokyo Shugo Chara!

*3.6% (*4.7%) 07/12 (Sat) *9:00am-*9:30am TV Tokyo BLUE DRAGON Tenkai no Shichiryuu [bLUE DRAGON: The Seven Sky Dragons]

*3.6% (*4.6%) 07/13 (Sun) *7:00am-*7:30am TV Asahi Kodai Ouja Kyouryuu King D Kids Adventure Yokuryuu Densetsu [Dinosaur King: Legend of the Pterosaurs]

*3.5% (*4.6%) 07/12 (Sat) 10:30am-11:00am TV Tokyo Katekyo Hitman REBORN!

*3.2% (*2.8%) 07/12 (Sat) *6:00pm-*6:25pm NHK-ETV Anime Major (Rerun)

*3.2% (*3.2%) 07/13 (Sun) *8:30am-*9:00am TV Tokyo Net Ghost PIPOPA

*3.0% (*3.9%) 07/11 (Fri) 12:45am-*1:15am Fuji TV Seiyou Kottou Yougashiten ~Antique~ [Antique Bakery]

*3.0% (*2.6%) 07/13 (Sun) 10:00am-10:30am TV Tokyo Zettai Karen Children

*3.0% (--.-%) 07/11 (Fri) *4:00pm-*4:30pm NTV Soreike! Anpanman

*2.8% (*2.5%) 07/09 (Wed) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo D.Gray-man

*2.8% (*1.9%) 07/12 (Sat) *6:25pm-*6:50pm NHK-ETV Telepathy Shoujo Ran [The Telepathy Girl Ran]

*2.7% (*3.0%) 07/10 (Thu) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo Gintama

*2.7% (*2.2%) 07/13 (Sun) *5:00pm-*5:30pm TBS Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2

*2.6% (*2.5%) 07/11 (Fri) *1:23am-*1:53am TV Tokyo Golgo 13

*2.6% (--.-%) 07/08 (Tue) *1:30am-*2:00am TV Tokyo World Destruction ~Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin~ (New)

*2.5% (*2.8%) 07/08 (Tue) *7:26pm-*7:55pm TV Tokyo BLEACH

*2.5% (*2.7%) 07/07 (Mon) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo Soul Eater

*2.4% (*3.3%) 07/13 (Sun) *9:00am-*9:30am TV Tokyo Pururun! Shizuku-chan Aha!

*2.4% (*1.7%) 07/08 (Tue) *5:30pm-6:00pm TV Tokyo Uchi no Sanshimai

*2.3% (--.-%) 07/08 (Tue) *1:00am-*1:30am TV Tokyo Natsume Yuujinchou (New)

*2.2% (*2.4%) 07/13 (Sun) *6:30am-*7:00am TV Asahi Hatara Kids My Ham Gumi

*2.2% (*1.4%) 07/08 (Tue) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

*2.1% (*3.1%) 07/13 (Sun) *9:30am-10:00am TV Tokyo Onegai My Melody Kirara

*2.1% (*2.5%) 07/11 (Fri) *1:55am-*2:25am TBS Hidamari Sketch x 365

*1.8% (*1.5%) 07/09 (Wed) *1:59am-*2:29am NTV Himitsu ~The Revelation~

*1.7% (*2.0%) 07/12 (Sat) *2:00am-*2:30am TBS Macross FRONTIER

*1.7% (*1.6%) 07/09 (Wed) *1:29am-*1:59am NTV RD Sennou Chousashitsu [Real Drive]

*1.5% (*2.7%) 07/11 (Fri) *2:25am-*2:55am TBS To LOVE Ru -Trouble-

*1.4% (*1.5%) 07/10 (Thu) *3:07am-*3:37am TBS Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 [Mobile Suit Gundam 00] (Rerun)

*1 4% (*1.0%) 07/10 (Thu) *2:40am-*3:10am TV Asahi Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~

*1.4% (*2.1%) 07/11 (Fri) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo Kirarin Revolution

*1.2% (*1.9%) 07/14 (Mon) *1:30am-*2:00am Nabari no Ou -NABARI-

*1.2% (*1.1%) 07/08 (Tue) *2:00am-*2:30am TV Tokyo Monochrome Factor

*1.0% (*1.7%) 07/14 (Mon) *2:00am-*2:30am TV Tokyo Neo Angelique Abyss - Second Age

*1.0% (*1.6%) 07/12 (Sat) *2:30am-*3:00am TBS Itazura na Kiss

*0.8% (*2.6%) 07/10 (Thu) *1:20am-*1:50am TV Tokyo Slayers REVOLUTON

*0.6% (*1.0%) 07/11 (Fri) *2:15-*2:45am TV Tokyo Soul Eater Late Show

A lot of drops 2 weeks ago. Slayers took a b*tch slap.

These ratings still make no sense to me. I mean, shows that come on in the early morning can't possibly be compared to shows in the afternoon or evening. :p Of course they are going to be lower. :) If I'm missing something, please let me know.

I'm also lost on the ratings. I mean, I sorta appreciate knowing them, but without the intimate popular culture knowledge and societal awareness that I have in my own country, I don't have any idea how to make heads or tales of these figures.

How do the ratings matter to Macross Frontier? How does Macross Frontier compare to ratings in the genre? What do the time slots mean? What is a good rating for an anime show compared to contemporary Japanese broadcast entertainment? Is Macross Frontier considered franchised product with franchised expectations? For it's budget, how are the ratings relevant? What's MF's visibility/penetration and how does it compare to anime/timeslot/genre/comparative budget?

I just have no context into which I can place these numbers. If it were a North American film, I could comment all about it and put nearly all the pieces together myself. But TV ratings in Japan? Might as well ask me about caribou hunting in the Yukon.

This is one reason I've always been frustrated by fans claiming such and such anime is popular/unpopular, often in contradiction to the few visible benchmarks I can see such as merchandising and continued production of sequels. I think it's safe to say most don't have the answers, because I've read so very few to the questions above. Particularly in the case of Macross, the typical inferiority complex concerning Gundam rears it's ugly head, as if it has any bearing at all. I don't want to hear how Macross does/doesn't compare to Gundam; Macross was never marketed nor aggressively franchised/merchandised to the degree Gundam was. If it were, we'd have 30+ sequels by now as opposed to just six. I don't believe Stargate SG-1 isn't popular just because it isn't Star Trek (okay, not the greatest analogy, but you get my drift). Macross succeeded on it's own merits and it's got nothing to prove, especially after enduring for 25 years and putting out one, most-expensive and/or effects-breaking anime after another. But if I want to know how well Macross does for what market it's in, I can't seem to find any credible answer on the subject.

Anyway, didn't mean to go all rant-like; I'm probably more frustrated with myself, being unable to do much critical analysis with the ratings being thrown at me. I'm really hungry for a Japanese perspective on this issue.

Edited by Mr March