Newbie Questions on Macross

Opaque, just like real world jets. One must keep in mind that the excessive variety of, and use of bright colours is only being added to help the viewer differentiate between the different pilots.

Going realistically (which the in-universe paint jobs are not), they would most likely be a Navy style paint job for atmospheric use, or dark, like the F-117, colours for space use. In this regard, the VF-17 and VF-171 are probably the only realistically painted/coloured VFs.

All the line art penned by Kawamori are official illustrations. But, I'm guessing you meant an official non-series, realistic paint. Then that is lacking. Some others have provided alternative paint schemes, but they are usually similar to the (unrealistic) series paint schemes, and only a few head in a realistic direction. Check out TIAS: Macross Plus, Tenjin Hidetaka's Valkyies, and pretty much any issue of Model Graphix that has a decent sized article on Macross.

(...)

If Valks were real, how they painting would be??? They are usually white so would it be like the commercial airplanes that aren't opaque??? Or it would be opaque just like real world jets but that are usually grey???

Was it ever officially ilustrated by Kawamori or any other artist?????? (...)

Basara singing one of Yoko Kanno's greatest songs ruined everything...? :blink:

Can't agree with you more Gubaba. It saddens me that some people can't enjoy the music and really listen to the song. When Basara sings Angel Voice and the whales start harmonizing with him is one of the coolest things I've seen in a show like this. Of course for me it is easy to like Macross 7 and all of the music because I really enjoy Fire Bomber music and have a bunch of the songs from the show and from Yoshiki Fukuyama himself.

Planet Dance has always caused a buzzing in my ear (hahaha) ... Maybe because it has been played too many times in the series :lol:

Although, surprisingly, Totsugeki Love Heart didn't... maybe because I liked the song better

Watching "Goodbye Sister" gave me a sense of Nostalgia listening to Fire Bomber

This isn't really a newbie question...but it's not a Frontier series question or a fansub question, either, so I figure this would be the safest place to put it...

I've been downloading the QYQ Frontier BDRip (Vol. 1) and they also uploaded a patch to fix some things. Now, I downloaded the patches, but they're exe files, which are useless on my Mac. Does anyone know what they're for...?

I have completely downloaded the Deculture Edition, which I tried to watch using MPlayer, but the audio is out of sync. The audio's fine on VLC, but the picture freezes. I figured that THAT was the problem, but I have a Q-R release of the Deculture Edition (which I'd completely forgotten about) and strangely, that has the same problems.

Is it my fault, or is this the problem the patch would fix?

This isn't really a newbie question...but it's not a Frontier series question or a fansub question, either, so I figure this would be the safest place to put it...

I've been downloading the QYQ Frontier BDRip (Vol. 1) and they also uploaded a patch to fix some things. Now, I downloaded the patches, but they're exe files, which are useless on my Mac. Does anyone know what they're for...?

I have completely downloaded the Deculture Edition, which I tried to watch using MPlayer, but the audio is out of sync. The audio's fine on VLC, but the picture freezes. I figured that THAT was the problem, but I have a Q-R release of the Deculture Edition (which I'd completely forgotten about) and strangely, that has the same problems.

Am not sure.... VLC seems to have problems playing MKV files.... I sometimes use BS Player Free where the display seems fine although it's crappy when it comes to displaying subtitiles. But if you don't need them it's ok :)

I don't think they fix your playback issues. The readme file that comes with the patch seems to indicate certain time stamps. Now they may fix those glitches that would correct the playback, but I'm not sure since I haven't bothered to download the rips.

Am not sure.... VLC seems to have problems playing MKV files.... I sometimes use BS Player Free where the display seems fine although it's crappy when it comes to displaying subtitiles. But if you don't need them it's ok :)

I don't think they fix your playback issues. The readme file that comes with the patch seems to indicate certain time stamps. Now they may fix those glitches that would correct the playback, but I'm not sure since I haven't bothered to download the rips.

Hmmm...I guess I'll just try to get a different version (or maybe use VLC to shift the audio). Thanks, guys. ^_^

Just to check my knowledge of continuity is this the correct timeline as far as animated series has shown:

Macross Zero...SDF-Macross...Flashback 2012...Macross 7....Macross Plus...Macross II...Macross Frontier.

I want to have the ultimate marathon and watch it all over again :)

Macross II is not in official continuity with any of those there. Macross II is a parallel universe based on DYRL (which is itself a movie inside the Macross universe ).

To correct your time line, it should be like this:

Macross Zero (2008)... SDF Macross (2009-2011)... Flashback 2012 (this is necessary to watch IMO)... Macross Plus (2040)... Macross 7 (2045-2046)... Macross Dynamite 7 (2047)... Macross Frontier (2059).

Just to check my knowledge of continuity is this the correct timeline as far as animated series has shown:

Macross Zero...SDF-Macross...Flashback 2012...Macross 7....Macross Plus...Macross II...Macross Frontier.

I want to have the ultimate marathon and watch it all over again :)

1. First couple of minutes of SDF-Macross Episode 01

2. Zero

3. Rest of SDFM

4. (DYRL kinda fits in here)

5. FB2012

6. MacPlus

7. Mac7 eps. 1~38 (or 39, somewhere around there)

8. Mac7: The Galaxy Is Calling Me

9. Rest of Mac7, including Encore

10. Dynamite 7

11. Frontier

And then zoom into a parallel universe for II.

Oh, and play some video games in there somewhere.

EDIT: DAMN YOU, DEX! :p

Edited by Gubaba

1. First couple of minutes of SDF-Macross Episode 01

2. Zero

3. Rest of SDFM

4. (DYRL kinda fits in here)

5. FB2012

6. MacPlus

7. Mac7 eps. 1~38 (or 39, somewhere around there)

8. Mac7: The Galaxy Is Calling Me

9. Rest of Mac7, including Encore

10. Dynamite 7

11. Frontier

And then zoom into a parallel universe for II.

Oh, and play some video ames in there somewhere.

EDIT: DAMN YOU, DEX! :p

Muhahaha!!! Anyway, do it Gubaba's way if you must watch it is perfect chronological order... I just watch by basic chronological order, that is just me though.

Muhahaha!!! Anyway, do it Gubaba's way if you must watch it is perfect chronological order... I just watch by basic chronological order, that is just me though.

I find watching it all in production order is more edifying (and more fun) than watching it all in chronological order...mostly because of the disconnect between Zero and SDFM.

And then there are those idiots that say you should should watch FB2012 before DYRL, since FB2012 is, y'know, in 2012 and DYRL is 2031...which seems to me like a good way to spoil DYRL for yourself AND be completely confused by FB2012 at the same time...

Edited by Gubaba

Yeah...I remember DYRL not being "official" cannon, someone explained to me once that it was more like if the people of SDF:Macross would make a movie like Pearl Harbor, DYRL would be it. Wasn't sure about Macross II...thanks for that...I saw most M7 ages ago and was far from impressed...going to give it another go now that it seems I missed allot of lore jumping straight to Frontier.

I like to follow the quote of Kawamori that's in the Compedium. That both Macross TV & DYRL are just two different versions of the same story. Even their version of DYRL in different from ours. Later Macross series say they are based on the TV's story but all the designs are from DYRL. Including the flash backs.

I like to follow the quote of Kawamori that's in the Compedium. That both Macross TV & DYRL are just two different versions of the same story. Even their version of DYRL in different from ours. Later Macross series say they are based on the TV's story but all the designs are from DYRL. Including the flash backs.

Welll...I remember seeing that quote well before they decided that DYRL was an in-universe movie, so I think the latter idea trumps the former.

But yeah...it seems to fit the design choices of the sequels better...

I dunno. My take on it has always been not to think about it too hard; it's all fiction, so why bother trying to figure out what "happened"?

Macross II timeline

1. Macross DYRL (You can also fit the prologue of the DYRL game)

2. Macross 2036 - Komilia's story. Quamzin back from the dead brings Zentradi Neld Fleet to attack Earth.

3. Macross Eternal Love Song - Quamzin back from the dead again brings the fighting Zentradi Burado Fleet and Meltrandi Leplendis Fleet. Komilia is back. The story is pretty much a rehash of Max and Millia love story.

4. Macross II Lovers Again - Mardook forces attack the Solar system. The story is about a prick journalist, a Meltran descended Valkyrie ace and sexy female Mardook emulator.

Edited by RedWolf

Here are my newbie questions: How is the line that Ranka Lee shouts right before she starts singing "Seikan Hikou" (in episode twelve of Macross Frontier) pronounced in romanji? (She also shouts it right before the same song in the Nyan Tama CD as well.) How is this line written in Japanese? Also, what's the exact English translation of it?

I've searched many fan sites as well as anime lyrics sites; but they don't include this line. I wanted to say it for Jacon's Miss Macross contest. :D (jacon.org/events/macross.html)

Here are my newbie questions: How is the line that Ranka Lee shouts right before she starts singing "Seikan Hikou" (in episode twelve of Macross Frontier) pronounced in romanji? (She also shouts it right before the same song in the Nyan Tama CD as well.) How is this line written in Japanese? Also, what's the exact English translation of it?

I've searched many fan sites as well as anime lyrics sites; but they don't include this line. I wanted to say it for Jacon's Miss Macross contest. :D (jacon.org/events/macross.html)

Welcome to Macrossworld!

The line is:

みんな、抱きしめて! 銀河の・・・果てまで!

or, "Minna, dakishimeté! Ginga no...haté madé! (accents added to make pronunication clearer)

As for the translation, well, I have yet to see an English version that doesn't sound odd. The first sentence has no object, so it could be "Everyone, hold me!" or possibly "Everyone, hold each other!" The second sentence is "Until the edge of the galaxy!"

No matter how you look at it, it doesn't make much sense... :unsure:

Welcome to Macrossworld!

The line is:

みんな、抱きしめて! 銀河の・・・果てまで!

or, "Minna, dakishimeté! Ginga no...haté madé! (accents added to make pronunication clearer)

As for the translation, well, I have yet to see an English version that doesn't sound odd. The first sentence has no object, so it could be "Everyone, hold me!" or possibly "Everyone, hold each other!" The second sentence is "Until the edge of the galaxy!"

No matter how you look at it, it doesn't make much sense... :unsure:

Wow!~ Thank you so much for your help! And thank you for welcoming me to the forum! ^_^ I'm really new to the Macross fandom... Thanks to Frontier I learned about the other series. I wish someone had told me about Macross sooner because I've been missing out on so much epicness all this time!!! D:

Is there a running joke about Lynn Kaifun from the Macross TV series that I missed? Of course he's a jerk, but on the rt.com there's this small unusual following for his Robotech version, K.I.S.S. or something along the lines of Chuck Norris or whatever, that they joke on about all the time. Is it something that only exists there?

Is there a running joke about Lynn Kaifun from the Macross TV series that I missed? Of course he's a jerk, but on the rt.com there's this small unusual following for his Robotech version, K.I.S.S. or something along the lines of Chuck Norris or whatever, that they joke on about all the time. Is it something that only exists there?

It's something Hermann2 and a couple other guys on Robotech.com came up with... I don't think there's a Macross equivalent to the group, though several members of it are avid Macross fans.

Here ya go:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=602060 ^_^

MODS PLEASE MOVE TO NEWBIE FORUM-srry

Howdy folks,

So I just finished watching episodes 1-25 in Japanese, even though I don't speak a word of Japanese.

(please don't ask me why)

So I'm wondering if there is an Episode guide for each show and a yes or no if there are English subtitle versions that exhist. (i'll find em)

Basically I haven't watched any Macross since I was a kid and I just wanted to rewatch some of my old favorite Robotech episodes.

I stumpled upon Ep1 of Frontiers and got hooked.

24 episodes later I'm dying to learn more about what I've just watched.

It was a crazy experience, even though I understood not a word I was purely engulfed by the Animation, the emotion in the performances and especially the music.

In any case thanks in advance for any info. I'm really excited to get back into the Macross universe.

-p

Edited by ptm2020

MODS PLEASE MOVE TO NEWBIE FORUM-srry

Howdy folks,

So I just finished watching episodes 1-25 in Japanese, even though I don't speak a word of Japanese.

(please don't ask me why)

So I'm wondering if there is an Episode guide for each show and a yes or no if there are English subtitle versions that exhist. (i'll find em)

Basically I haven't watched any Macross since I was a kid and I just wanted to rewatch some of my old favorite Robotech episodes.

I stumpled upon Ep1 of Frontiers and got hooked.

24 episodes later I'm dying to learn more about what I've just watched.

It was a crazy experience, even though I understood not a word I was purely engulfed by the Animation, the emotion in the performances and especially the music.

In any case thanks in advance for any info. I'm really excited to get back into the Macross universe.

-p

Yes, there are subs available on assorted torrent sites, in several versions. I watched the gg version during broadcast and switched to collecting THORA as they released BD-based versions, but others can surely compare the assorted versions better than I.

Then when you're done with that you can get onto watching the other Macross series you've missed. Especially the original series if you only ever saw the Robotech version as a kid. It's less different than some people would like to tell you, but there are some really significant changes especially in the wider world setting and history. :)

thanks killer robot. i'm downloading the subtitle stuff right now.

is there an Episode guide that you know of?

also I trying to find an faq post that has all these new acronyms. THORA GG BD etc... any links on that?

thanks again,

-p

Redwolf had the episode guide. mahq.net will give you links to the different Macross series and from there to episode guides. gg and THORA are just the names of fansub groups, and BD is Blu-ray Disc: until the Blu-ray release of the series came out all fansubs were made from the broadcast versions of the show so had imperfections of the capture, station watermarks, etc. Also, the BD release corrects some animation errors of the initial broadcast.

What are the names of these PCE game Zentradi/Meltrandi? suits?

post-9033-1241422572_thumb.jpg

post-9033-1241422600_thumb.jpg

Exactly what the labels say they are...

"Rogren-Rau" and "Shigunomiyu" respectively.

The game manuals call the "Shigunomiyu" the "Shigunomiyuuru".

The Rogren-Rau is a boss mecha from stage 3 of Macross 2036, the Shigunomyuuru is a boss mecha from stage 5.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Exactly what the labels say they are...

"Rogren-Rau" and "Shigunomiyu" respectively.

The game manuals call the "Shigunomiyu" the "Shigunomiyuuru".

The Rogren-Rau is a boss mecha from stage 3 of Macross 2036, the Shigunomyuuru is a boss mecha from stage 5.

Thanks I've been gathering info about the 2036 and ELS mecha.

I've noticed VF development in the Big West timeline was slower. VF--->VF-1R series--->VF-4 Siren--->VF-XX Zentran--->VF-2SS, VF-2JA --->VF-1MS Metal Siren.

But Zentradi/Meltrandi mecha is more varied in the Big West timeline.