About the Macross Chronicles

While the timeline and other stuff is nice. My personal preference, would be for the all non-VF-1 mecha pages to be translated first.

Just my 2 cents.

Graham

Uh, yeah...

Mecha stuff is simply beyond my abilities at this point, unfortunately. The vocabulary is INCREDIBLY difficult, my dictionaries don't have a lot of technological terms, and even if I can piece together the meaning of a long string of kanji, chances are good that I don't know what the technical English term is.

I thought the History and World Guide Sheets would be chock full of new info, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I feared this would happen, but I didn't want to say anything since it's not my place to tell people what to translate and what not to translate. I'm thankful for anything that gets translated. The alternative isn't much fun to consider.

But since you are now asking, I'd like to mirror Graham's post and say I'd want anything and everything mecha and/or technology to be translated. I know you might be rolling your eyes at me and saying "yeah, well I can guess on my own what YOU would want Mr. Macross Mecha Manual" :) , but I'd ask you to just think about it. Aside from the Chronology/Glossary/Encyclopedia information of the Macross universe, the most often requested and referenced information is that for all the mecha and technology. If the Chronicle detail for the Chronology/Glossary/Encyclopedia information is largely just repeated, the mecha and technology seems like the natural priority.

The Chronicle has already provided new statistical information on the Oberth, the Macross Cannon, the Fan Racer, and many others. Hell, we've actually been given an explosive yield for early reaction weapons in the Chronicle entry for the Oberth Class Destroyer, something I never thought they would ever publish.

I say go for the mech'n'tech. That's how I see it. Even though I'm biased, I'm not necessarily wrong :)

Tell you what. Give me a request and I'll see if I can hack it. No guarantees, but I'm willing to give it the old college try. :)

Nah, let's look at this situation fairly and say forget about it. You may just end up resenting the work anyway and tear your gums out. This is supposed to be volunteer work that is done for interest and leisure. It sounds like translating mech'n'tech stuff is about as leisurely for you as a visit to the dental clinic. It's unfortunate, but such is life.

Anyway, I'd just like to give you a big thanks for all the translations you've done so far. They are appreciated. Three cheers for Gubaba!

Nah, let's look at this situation fairly and say forget about it. You may just end up resenting the work anyway and tear your gums out. This is supposed to be volunteer work that is done for interest and leisure. It sounds like translating mech'n'tech stuff is about as leisurely for you as a visit to the dental clinic. It's unfortunate, but such is life.

Anyway, I'd just like to give you a big thanks for all the translations you've done so far. They are appreciated. Three cheers for Gubaba!

C'mon, man...I haven't given up yet! There's still a lot I want to do on it, and I'm happy to try the mecha stuff. I just probably won't be able to one per weekend like the character sheets...

Not to wander off topic too much but let's not forget that English is not the only language that uses the Roman alphabet... French, Spanish, Italian, German, just to name a few. Wouldn't "Michael" read in German sound something like "Mikhail" or "Mihael"? Note that the English influence into Japan is only a relatively recent post WWII turn of events. Prior to that, Japan's exposure to the western world came from its contact with the Portugese in the 15~16th century. Post WWI, Japan had very close ties with Germany from which it imported weapons technology as well as its legal system.

Yes, you're absolutely right... However, that may mean that we might just have to go back to the original Hebrew reading, which is מיכאל. That is actually pronounced like in the show, apparently...

So, we do a further bit of research here http://library.stanford.edu/hebraicafunnel...es_20040703.htm

and we get this: Yiddish first names, with three different romanisations:

Mikha’el

Mikhl

Mikhl

I say we pick the first one and be done with it. B))

C'mon, man...I haven't given up yet! There's still a lot I want to do on it, and I'm happy to try the mecha stuff. I just probably won't be able to one per weekend like the character sheets...

Okay then. I'll take a look through my issues and choose one for ya. Thanks.

I have to say that I'm getting a little dispirited in my trasnlations, since it doesn't seem that there's much that's really revelatory in any of the pages that I've translated so far. The Timeline Sheets are interesting as far as Zero is concerned, since they differ from the Compendium timeline; they also unambiguously state that Shins' VF-0 emitted a blue glow and then disappeared, disproving the "It was All Metaphorical" theory; the Extra Report in the Shao Pai Long History Sheet mentions a number of (I believe) previously unmentioned Propaganda Movies made aboard the SDF-1, like "The Samurai of Space" and "The Miraculous Battle Operation: Escape from Mars Base!"; there's the mention of the SDFN Series, like (I presume) the SDFN-04 Global; other than that, it seems like it's first and foremost a consolidation of previously known information, rather than anything new.

Which makes translating it seem like a lot of pain for not much gain. I'm not giving up yet, but I am beginning to wonder if my time might not be better served by scanning through the pages to find the nuggets of useful information rather than trying to come up with nice, readable translations.

This is what I'm leaning on doing. Focus on the stuff we have less info on. When I scanned over the VF-5000 pages a while back, I found most of the info fairly redundant. I did the same with the YF-21 pages and it was the same story.

It sounds like translating mech'n'tech stuff is about as leisurely for you as a visit to the dental clinic. It's unfortunate, but such is life.

That's because of the tech-jargon. Gubaba and David H. can tell you much tongue twisting-fun the VF-25 manual was/is. Stuff like the character sheets, history, and some of the timeline is easier because of the lack of tech-babble. But once we get to the tech sheets, it becomes a world-of-hurt trying to make sense of the jargon. I don't think we've given up, but we have to slow down when we hit the tech-babble because most dictionaries out there don't translate tech-babble.

Send me any "techy" aircraft terms you get. I've translated some katakana from various mecha, it's just that I don't KNOW katakana and it takes me 30 mins with a chart to do a single word sometimes. (so I do it rarely) But I do know the basic rules of how it works, and if you give me the phonetic translated katakana I can probably figure out what it's supposed to be.

'twas thinking a bit on the Mikhael thing. Specifically when it comes to Aruto's deliberate mispronunciation of it.

Given valkyrie13's post that it could be the German reading of Michael (or simply a butchered reading of it in Japanese - the Mi is read as ミ), it could explain why Aruto pronounces it akin to Michelle.

Which... now that I've gone and checked the wikipedia article, is exactly what the article has been saying... :rolleyes:

He himself answers to either the French (ミシェル) or German/Russian (ミハエル) pronunciation of his given name.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Michael_Blanc

Therefore, WE have all been wrong in assuming that it's the English reading... :wacko:

Edited by sketchley

As soon as issue ten comes out, I'd be eternally grateful if you could make translating the VF-25S pages top priority, please, please, pretty please.

Graham

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

(And March: don't worry, I'll take your translation request, too. ^_^ )

EDIT: And yes, Azrael encapsulates the mecha-page translation problem perfectly. A further example: I was going great guns on the Zentradi World Guide Sheet until I hit the section on Zentradi genetics. Then I was looking up almost every single word in the dictionary, which (SURPRISE!) didn't have a lot of them, which meant I had to wait to get home and look them up online, which takes longer. I finished the paragraph, but afterwards, I really needed to take a break from it for a couple of days.

Edited by Gubaba

'twas thinking a bit on the Mikhael thing. Specifically when it comes to Aruto's deliberate mispronunciation of it.

Given valkyrie13's post that it could be the German reading of Michael (or simply a butchered reading of it in Japanese - the Mi is read as ミ), it could explain why Aruto pronounces it akin to Michelle.

Which... now that I've gone and checked the wikipedia article, is exactly what the article has been saying... :rolleyes:

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Michael_Blanc

Therefore, WE have all been wrong in assuming that it's the English reading... :wacko:

Er... who ever assumed it was the English reading?? Watch Macross 7, the bodyguard: THAT's the English reading. And we have known since the episode with Michel's sister that Alto calls him Mikhael ミハエル but his close friends call him Michel ミシェル! That was the whole point of the episode. At the end, Alto shows his faith in him by calling him Michel and thus he is reassured and goes on to shoot the bad bug.

I give up now, because this thing is just going round in circles. 

I leave you all with previews of next week's Chronicle. I love that small pic of the VF-1D on the cover, I wonder if that's old box art I've never seen before or if it's a brand new thing.

post-1318-1227057753_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1227057770_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

Contents of Issue 11:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-1S Valkyrie

* Gigamesh

* Macross 5 Fleet

Character Sheet

* Roy Focker

* Claudia LaSalle

* Nexx Gilbart

Gallery Sheet

* Macross II

Timeline Sheet

* Intersellar Wedding

World Guide Sheet

* Planet Eden

History Sheet

* Miclone [something] [something] (Sorry...I don't feel like looking up the kanji right now.)

Song Sheet

* Welcome To My FanClub's Night! / What 'bout my star?

Goods Sheet

* Transformable Toy: VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie

* Character Goods: Nyan-Core Trading Cards

Making Sheet

* Miyatake

There are two kinds of lettering for the binder, one is in latin, and the other is in Zentraedi, just in case Warera-Rori and Konda decided to snatch your treasured chronicles. ^_^

drifand, try: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/zentlardy.htm

Basically, the text says "There are normal and Zentraedi type stickers! use whichever you like!" The binder will be onsale (or released) at the same time as issue #11.

It doesn't look like there will be any changes to the first binder, other than the stickers. Hopefully they'll include additional dividers for the special sheet section...

drifand, try: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/zentlardy.htm

Basically, the text says "There are normal and Zentraedi type stickers! use whichever you like!" The binder will be onsale (or released) at the same time as issue #11.

It doesn't look like there will be any changes to the first binder, other than the stickers. Hopefully they'll include additional dividers for the special sheet section...

I was really, REALLY annoyed when I read that, since I got a second binder a couple of weeks ago. I thought the stickers would've come with the magazine itself... <_<

I was really, REALLY annoyed when I read that, since I got a second binder a couple of weeks ago. I thought the stickers would've come with the magazine itself... <_<

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... <_<. Bastards....I just got another binder....

Well, I guess they showed us...this "thinking ahead" stuff, it just gets ya into trouble. :(

Thanks for the...err...warning.....I'll get the second binder together with vol.11 :rolleyes:

Woah... thanks for the heads up guys! 'Luckily' I've only bought 3 so far... phew!

Now I'll wait for the binder reissue to see how many numbers the sticker sheet carries. If it's only up to '3'... then that means I'll only buy one of the 'new' binders and wait for the next reissue.

Not sure abt u guys. I am only able to store 8 issues of the mags in ONE binder, without the intro from the first issue and the last few ads pages from the rest. Most likely will hve to sort out EVERYTHING as certain pages sld be filed in future binders base on the 'Actual' page numbers.........any of u out there able to squeeze 10 issues in one binder? Pls enlighten. :unsure:

Edited by rorrim

Not sure abt u guys. I am only able to store 8 issues of the mags in ONE binder, without the intro from the first issue and the last few ads pages from the rest. Most likely will hve to sort out EVERYTHING as certain pages sld be filed in future binders base on the 'Actual' page numbers.........any of u out there able to squeeze 10 issues in one binder? Pls enlighten. :unsure:

I don't put the "ad pages" in the binder, but everything else fits fine. It is quite thick, however.

Hmm......could it be the reinforcement rings??? I'm having difficulties flipping the pages with 8 issues on the binder. Seriously, I hve no intention removing the pages off from the binder every now and then just for a few glances :( Will take the challenge squeezing the remaining 2 issues, wish me luck!