Not so much a remake as a Tv series to move make, though they probably shouldnt anyway.

Dad's Army the 1970's comedy about the home guard in the U.K is being made into a film.

Now the U.S version was a car crash in comedy, so i can only imagine the film will also be a wreck.

There was a US version? Any links? This I would like to see (well, not really)

What's next a film version of classic WWII Sit com Ello Ello, a classic BBC comedy that does not translate at all out of English. My French friend did not get it at all even when we explained it to him, he just said but that is how you say that in English.

It would only work in native English speaking counties.

• 4 weeks later...

Stargate;

METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER PICTURES AND WARNER BROS. PICTURES PARTNER WITH ROLAND EMMERICH AND DEAN DEVLIN FOR “STARGATE” TRILOGY

Los Angeles, CA (May 29, 2014) – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, together with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, are partnering to launch a new feature film trilogy that reimagines the 1994 film Stargate. The announcement was made today by Gary Barber, MGM’s Chairman and CEO. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is confirmed to direct and Devlin will produce.

Barber said, “We couldn’t be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original Stargate, to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.” He added, “Stargate is one of the biggest titles in MGM's vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate."

“The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home,” said Emmerich and Devlin.

Source: http://www.mgm.com/#/news/189

-b.

They have been wanting to redo Stargate for ages (since the day after it came out it seems like). This is one I actually would like to see remade. The original did not live up to the premise, IMHO, and a chance at a trilogy of films might fill in the rough edges. Then again it could end up feces - but that would detract nothing from the original.

Ugh. Stargate was the only Emmerich/Devlin movie I ever liked. While I never got into the series', I appreciated that they built on the untapped potential of the film.

WIll probably pass.

Don't remember all of their productions but I'm going to agree that the original Stargate was the (or one of the) only movie of theirs that I liked as well.

The different series were hit or miss with me but I didn't hate any of them.

Depending on cast, director, etc. this will be a "wait and see" or "immediate pass" for me as well.

-b.

Don't remember all of their productions but I'm going to agree that the original Stargate was the (or one of the) only movie of theirs that I liked as well.

The different series were hit or miss with me but I didn't hate any of them.

Depending on cast, director, etc. this will be a "wait and see" or "immediate pass" for me as well.

-b.

Independence Day, 2012, Universal Soldier, and Godzilla 98, among other turds. Their strategy has always seemed to be: How many tropes and cliches can we include in one movie, while throwing a shnarfload of $$ at it?

While Stargate was very derivative of all your "Ancient Aliens" hokum - it did have some fun new elements, a great cast and bitchin' music & production design.

This could end up like the Abrams version of Star Trek in that it will re-spotlight the series, not that it needs it so much as Star Trek did by the time of the reboot. There will obviously be the purist haters out there. I liked the film but although I loved the original series I always thought it lacked something. Never got into Atlantis or universe though, as I'd got bored of it then like I has with Star Trek. It just ended up being same format each week stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

strange. very strange.

I wish that instead of taking movies that already stand up really well and remaking them, they would do more remakes of shitty old movies that could have been done better.

Like I'm watching John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness right now. It's such a shitty movie but it has a really cool premise. I'd love to see that with some decent acting and not crap special effects.

strange. very strange.

I wish that instead of taking movies that already stand up really well and remaking them, they would do more remakes of shitty old movies that could have been done better.

This. I've never understood the point of remaking something that was already brilliant to begin with.

The remake of Hitchcock's Psycho being the biggest headscratcher of all.

This. I've never understood the point of remaking something that was already brilliant to begin with.

The remake of Hitchcock's Psycho being the biggest headscratcher of all.

Or The Birds. Or Rear Window.

I'm not sure though; have they remade North By Northwest, or The Man Who Knew Too Much yet?

strange. very strange.

Well, just look at how many Japanese movies get remade by Hollywood. Why not go the other way?

That was filmed in Hokkaido, by the way. Big news around here when they started filming.

Hollywood is all about recycling & repackaging the same basic ingredients, when it comes to making movies. Step 1. paint-by-numbers; step 2. cash in. Example:

This:

350653.jpg

Got remade (basically) as this:

the-deep-poster.jpg

which got recycled (more or less) as this:

intotheblue12.jpg

There's tons more examples to be found, I'm sure.

Edited by reddsun1

Sometimes, Hollywood doesn't wait all that long to re-hash (parts of) a movie. They may not remake it entirely (I haven't seen The Seven-Ups, so I'm not for certain with this one), but some scenes sure can give you a sense of deja vu...

Sometimes, they'll even use the same actors. :blink:Bullitt: The East Coast Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZkO71rEvvA

Hehe, maybe he was playing that guy's cousin from Jersey. :p

Edited by reddsun1

So apparently multiple sources are confirming now Shane Black is rebooting the original Predator film...

For the love of God, man! Why?!?

On the one hand, part of me thinks: well, who better to do it than the guy who co-wrote the original? Usually, it's when some clown totally un-involved with a 1st work thinking they know better than the originators that things go to sh*t....

but on the other hand, another part of me thinks: that's not always the case; apparently, no one in Hollywood has learned a godda*n thing from George Lucas' mistakes. <_<

Edited by reddsun1

With all crap that's come out of the franchise after the original, what harm can a remake possibly do?

A lot.

Predator was actually pretty good, McTiernan has/had a great filmography as a Director and Predator is up there with the best of them.

-b.