Patrick Swayze must have rolled over his grave twice after this trailer was released.

Well, Point Break isn't exactly a film that I had high regards for so a reboot doesn't both me. Moving forward this new film's stunts look amazing and is going for a modern 'Occupy Wallstreet' story with unknown actors.

Well, Point Break isn't exactly a film that I had high regards for so a reboot doesn't both me. Moving forward this new film's stunts look amazing and is going for a modern 'Occupy Wallstreet' story with unknown actors.

I also see the original Point Break as an okay film. I originally didn't have any interest on watching it until I picked up Hot Fuzz.

Other than that, the whole extreme sports theme is just so out of style. Would've made more sense if they did this in the late '90s.

Freakin just laughed myself silly at work watching this..and yes..I agree. I'm sure it will be on the same level of suck that the Red Dawn remake was on

It is pretty damn funny!! And for sure, the Red Dawn remake was one of the worst things ever!!

"Awww, what the hell??!!"

As much as I hate this idea - to be fair, the Rock is pretty much the best 80's action hero of the 2010's.

Ditto....... But it might just work..........

You're not the only one. Isn't anything holy anymore?

I hope they at least have the courtesy not to attempt to recreate the elevator scene.They're never going to match the magnificence of that.

Maybe I should do a John Carpenter marathon this weekend. I got with me Escape from New York, The Thing, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live.

:D

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend.

I was listening to Carpenter's soundtrack to Assault on Precinct 13 today. Carpenter did some pretty sweet synth music in his day.

Maybe I should do a John Carpenter marathon this weekend. I got with me Escape from New York, The Thing, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live.

Very cool. Starman was a great film but oddly the most anti-John Carpenter film of his career. Honestly, I think a Starman remake could work film or even as a TV series, again :)

Very cool. Starman was a great film but oddly the most anti-John Carpenter film of his career. Honestly, I think a Starman remake could work film or even as a TV series, again :)

Actually, the most anti-Carpenter film is Memoirs of an Invisible Man, as he was only brought in as director at the last minute because Ivan Reitman backed out. Escape from L.A. would be second, as it feels more corporate-controlled than Carpenter's own works.

:D

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend.

I was listening to Carpenter's soundtrack to Assault on Precinct 13 today. Carpenter did some pretty sweet synth music in his day.

Speaking of "Assault", there was a french remake in 2002 that is a totally awesome movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280990/

The first minutes of the 2005 "Assault" are pretty intense when Hawke looses his team, but after that the movie quickly fizzles away into lameness. "The Nest" only needs some minutes to put the players on the board, and then the suspense never stops. It also takes some nods to the original, like hails of bullets perforating walls in stylized shots, and the assaulters being a faceless swarm, disguised by their night vision goggles, gives it an "Aliens" feel.

Director Siri later made "Hostage" with Bruce Willis, which wasn't a huge success, but I also like this movie for it's suspense and Ben Foster's really creepy character.

Unless they bring back James Hong as Lo Pan, it's not gonna work.

and the soundtrack, and Cattrall and James Wong, and.. frakk it, frakk you Hollywood.

I've got Carpenter on my Twitter, and he has said nothing about it, I'm guessing he's not part of it.

Edited by skullmilitia

• 5 weeks later...

While I'm not enthused about the remake, the car is exactly what the original was in the original's time. I agree with that production decision.

... Old ambulamce in the original? Hilarious + stylish. There was a method with Ray loving the classic car-ness of it. This is a hurse no one could possibly love for its aesthetic. Working in a mom's 90's mini-van for cheap would have been funnier / more functional.

... Old ambulamce in the original? Hilarious + stylish. There was a method with Ray loving the classic car-ness of it. This is a hurse no one could possibly love for its aesthetic. Working in a mom's 90's mini-van for cheap would have been funnier / more functional.

This is an old Cadillac. There are enough people who think Cadillac = good that there are people who do actually love the late 80s hearse aesthetic. A hearse or an ambulance also have a connection to ghosts, and neither of these wagon-body caddies is quite as depressing as a minivan. These are the choice of somebody who, despite having no solid reason to anymore, still has his masculine pride, more than the good sense to buy an old Toyota minivan because look at how spacious it is, and reliable too.

Besides, the original car was just a 25 year old junker in its time. All the taxis hailed from around the same period, and they were all junk too. Late 50s Cadillacs didn't become classics until the 80s destroyed them all. The Ecto-1 from the originals was the result of one man's odd taste in cars (and his tiny budget with which to buy and maintain one). I think that carries over just perfectly with the new car.

Well it had to happen eventually. The Last Starfighter is charmingly fun but the effects have not held up at all. I just hope they can retain the fun of the original film, it had a great story that I loved as a kid.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37867/-last-starfighter-to-get-a-tv-vr-reboot

This sounds horrible. Thankfully, I doubt this reboot will go anywhere.

Ecto-1 should have style and presence shooting out the tail pipe. It's gorgeous curves are like a 1940's pin-up. It caught my eye not because it was a 25 year old clunker, but because even when it was beat up and ratted out, it was still beautiful.

Yes, I understand that the 'new' Caddy (not calling it Ector-1) is generationally in the same spot, but it is nothing like the original. No style. No flare. Just a brick painted white. With a yellow light on top... Yellow!!!?!

And the group photo looks like they broke out of a correctional facility...