Well it had to happen eventually. The Last Starfighter is charmingly fun but the effects have not held up at all. I just hope they can retain the fun of the original film, it had a great story that I loved as a kid.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37867/-last-starfighter-to-get-a-tv-vr-reboot

Alien law enforcement and "instilling a moral code"?... :huh:

Sounds far more like a rehash of Space Precinct, + beat the audience over the head of PC nonsense, than The Last Starfighter, and has FAIL plastered all over it.

Well it had to happen eventually. The Last Starfighter is charmingly fun but the effects have not held up at all. I just hope they can retain the fun of the original film, it had a great story that I loved as a kid.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37867/-last-starfighter-to-get-a-tv-vr-reboot

"The first TV series to embrace virtual reality"? At first, I thought, "Wow... these guys have never heard of Sliders." Then I read the rest of the article and thought, "Oh boy... we've got another Captain Power in our hands." This idea will not fly with audiences - and not just fans of the original film.

Given the different direction of this Ghostbusters film, I don't mind that they are using a later model Cadillac for the car. There could be a number of reasons for why, but I don't necessarily buy the reasoning dictated in the article. I'm more inclined to think that this new movie has its own art direction and a late-80's Cadillac fits better with that art direction than the old Ecto-1. The reason also may hinge on whether this is truly a remake/reboot or if it is new fiction set at a later date where multiple ghost busting franchises now exist in the same universe.

I haven't been following the news on this close enough to substantiate that last comment, though.

Edited by technoblue

The reason also may hinge on whether this is truly a remake/reboot or if it is new fiction set at a later date where multiple ghost busting franchises now exist in the same universe.

I haven't been following the news on this close enough to substantiate that last comment, though.

I think that's the only way it could really work...

Edited by Thom

Alien law enforcement and "instilling a moral code"?... :huh:

Yeah, I don't understand how that description has anything to do with The Last Starfighter?

Doesn't sound like a remake but, rather, a continuation in the universe with nothing or little to do with what was seen in TLSF.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What? I thought they were doing some stupid ass cross over with Tatum and Hill in the Jump Street series? Either way, that's lame.

A reboot would be bad enough - they have a perfect opportunity to have agents J and K break in a couple new agents to replace them (and thus start over right where it began). The idea of doing a crossover with Jump Street makes my skin crawl...

A reboot would be bad enough - they have a perfect opportunity to have agents J and K break in a couple new agents to replace them (and thus start over right where it began). The idea of doing a crossover with Jump Street makes my skin crawl...

For the record, they're calling the new Men in Black trilogy a "reinvention."

I've got an idea.... It's really out there so bear with me.

Some script writers go out and write a film script for something new, not related to any film they have written before or has been written before or a book that someone else wrote.

I know its wacky but it might just work.

Edited by big F

• 1 month later...

I think that's the only way it could really work...

I thought the original ecto-1 was an old ambulance because it used to be an emergency vehicle. This new one is a hearse. That doesn't make sense to me. Why not use an 80s Caddy ambulance.

Edited by sharky

Greatest American Hero is probably a good candidate for a Reboot. The original kinda tried to tell an ongoing story with the hero getting used to the suit but TV at the time would not allow a continuing plot like that. Now they can use the whole season to handle an ongoing plot.

• 2 weeks later...

Since everybody already forgot how the plot came together - "Memento" gets a remake.

So so stupid. Describing it as a masterpiece pretty much means you SHOULDN'T remake it because you're not going to touch a masterpiece. There are plenty of movies that had great promise but were executed poorly and could use a remake just to fix what was originally wrong. But remaking Memento is stupid, it didn't have those problems.

Memento was a fantastic movie that went over the heads of your more idiotic moviegoers. I got it on the first viewing and thought it was one of the smartest movies I'd ever seen with a clever way of telling its story that still left the audience guessing as to what the truth really was. To remake it is a horrible idea.

• 1 month later...

I'm still surprised they haven't tried to remake Titanic yet.

Yeah I can see it now, "Ice burg dead ahead!" Ding ding!!! "Hard to port!!!"

"Phew !! That was close"

"Oh what's that girl doing on the bow rail ?"