Filipino's Guide To Low Budget Macross/Robotech Toys

macross_defect_08.jpg

Seriously low budget. I'm not sure what's worse: The packaging or the toy. The packaging says everything from Macross, Robotech: The Masters, and a burst which reads "New! In Hot"... at least the toy gets Strike Armor (well, 1/3 of it). I'm thinking about getting it just for the BP8 hinge...

macross_defect_04.jpg

Here it is out of the box. Looks like it was made from a mold, of a mold, of a mold, of a mold, of a mold of a Takatoku/Toynami re-release mold. Still looks better than the Masterpiece Toynami in this mode. Uh, those arms are upside down...

Zardak1acon.jpg

The guys that produced this thing couldn't decide whether they wanted to make it a dark stealth-type valk or a 1960's LSD trip... so, they made it both. I believe this was one of those "Convertor" knock-offs in the mid 80's.

MooriahLoose1b.jpg

Unlike the Megahouse Ride Armors, this dude came with a sticker sheet. I think this is another one of the "Convertor" bots. I think Toynami got their molds from this actual toy for their low budget morphers.

270_N-Front.jpg

Another "Convertor" bot. Actually, not too shabby for a low budget SDF-1 toy.

105f_1.JPG

This is some serious low budget filipino stuff... I actually had some of these when I was kid. This dude is actually made out of metal... and you can add parts to him (lego-style) to make planes and stuff...

FigRickHunterLoose1a.jpg

Hey, I didn't know Toynami made Robotech figures. Rick looks more like Speed Racer's corpse than Rick Hunter. I know this is Matchbox, but it still very much belongs on this low budget list.

robotech-rickhunter.JPG

Okay, enough Toynami bashing. They make good dolls and the above Matchbox product supports that fact. I don't think they got anything right with this product. Since when does Rick Hunter look like he's part Tommy Yune and part Linda Blair on crack? This doll scares me.

Edited by fifbeat

I think this is another one of the "Convertor" bots. I think Toynami got their molds from this actual toy for their low budget morphers.

While the transformation is very similar Toynami actually did come up with their own molds for their Morphers. See my website for more info :)

Hm..

I'm looking at the picture of Rick and Lisa on the Gay Pride Parade Rick Hunter toy...

What's with Rick's face? Is it the light? Did he just eat a lemmon or is Lisa smacking him?

VFTF1

The CONVERTORS are actually made from Takatoku tooling, presumably by one of TT's manufacturing subcontractors to settle on debt TT left behind. So they're not actually bootlegs, just 'repurposed' product.

The weirdly-colored super-valk is a really cool item. Takatoku must have gone under just prior to its release. In addition to the Super parts and details, the knee-joints have been improved over the previous model, the underside has a socket to mount the gun-pod, and the biceps have a much-needed swivel joint.

Whoever owned the SDF Macross CONVERTOR repainted parts of it. The shoulders, upper arms and cannon towers are all light metallic blue. (I repainted the towers on mine when I originally got it during high-school aroun '85 or so. Still have it!)

Don't worry, I am Flip too, man. Free adobo. On the house. =)

Interesting information. I'm learning a lot about my own filipino list from you guys.

why is it called filipino's guide? didnt see those KO's when i was in the philippines ....im filipino so im kinda hurt :p
Edited by fifbeat

Convertors were actually licensed from Mark, a little company that worked with Takatoku to make the small, crappy Macross and other sleazy train station toys. So not really bootlegs. Many of them actually have Takatoku copyrights printed on them.

Convertors were actually licensed from Mark, a little company that worked with Takatoku to make the small, crappy Macross and other sleazy train station toys. So not really bootlegs. Many of them actually have Takatoku copyrights printed on them.

Were they color blind? =)

That Rick Hunter doll has company.

bclubv16a.jpg

Where did this article come from???

It reminds me of a Japanese magazine that had a feature called "the legend of American otaku".

Macross Lovely Girls Collection? Heh I like it.

Still wouldn't mind getting the Dana doll though.

Edited by lord_breetai

Seriously low budget. I'm not sure what's worse: The packaging or the toy. The packaging says everything from Macross, Robotech: The Masters, and a burst which reads "New! In Hot"... at least the toy gets Strike Armor (well, 1/3 of it). I'm thinking about getting it just for the BP8 hinge...

Hey, I didn't know Toynami made Robotech figures. Rick looks more like Speed Racer's corpse than Rick Hunter. I know this is Matchbox, but it still very much belongs on this low budget list.

robotech-rickhunter.JPG

Okay, enough Toynami bashing. They make good dolls and the above Matchbox product supports that fact. I don't think they got anything right with this product. Since when does Rick Hunter look like he's part Tommy Yune and part Linda Blair on crack? This doll scares me.

:lol::lol::lol:

Is that Rick doll sporting an afro? If so, I sooooo want it!!!

:lol:

OO

Wish I coulda had cheap toys like those when I was a kid! Well not the dolls, but the cheapo knock-offs are ok.

Edited by Uxi

Where did this article come from???

It reminds me of a Japanese magazine that had a feature called "the legend of American otaku".

Macross Lovely Girls Collection? Heh I like it.

It's from the February 1987 issue of B-Club. That "Legend of American Otaku" article sounds hilarious, is it translated anywhere on the web?

What I find funny is that Rick Hunter is part of the "Lovely Girls Collection" :lol:

bclubv16c.jpg

omfg where did you find these things??? haha. maybe once upon a time they could be found in virra mall / greenhills, but not these days. haha.

Yeah, fake purses, fake shoes, cheap jewelry, and LOW BUDGET Macross toys. =) Green Hills is cool! Can you pick me up some knock off sapatos??

Philippines is cool. I was there for a month (philippines, not greenhills =)..... the food. The women. The knock offs.... All beautiful!

It's from the February 1987 issue of B-Club. That "Legend of American Otaku" article sounds hilarious, is it translated anywhere on the web?

Dunno, it was in a magazine my Girlfriend randomly bought in Japan cause it had Ayaka Komatsu (Sailor Venus from PGSM) on the cover, I think it was an ongoing feature, but the one I had was about Starblazers and a starblazer's fansite... I'll see if I can find where i stashed it, and scan it.

omfg where did you find these things??? haha. maybe once upon a time they could be found in virra mall / greenhills, but not these days. haha.

Old Virra Mall was made of win and awesome! Still, most of the old specialty geek shops survived, although they carry more expensive stuff these days.

Speaking of knock offs, does anyone (especially the Flips) remember coming across some badly made toy Valks that for some reason came with built in pencil sharpeners?