Macross Compendium Goes Wiki?

Vinnie

Those sneaky Macross fans. Quietly coming out of nowhere to unleash new websites upon the unsuspecting fandom. It's a good thing I never acted like that ;):lol:

It's nice to see some new Macross Frontier information. Looks like Egan has confirmed the F and S designations. His notes about Kawamori's quotes on the VF-25 are very insightful. This is some great stuff.

Edited by Mr March

See, this is why I love the Compendium:

According to Kawamori, the VF-171 appears as the standard main variable fighter in the 2059 timeframe of Macross Frontier because the previously designated U.N. Spacy main variable fighter, the VF-19 Excalibur, looks too much like a "hero" unit for the role. He also wanted a fighter that was clearly disinguishable from the hero unit of the series, the VF-25.

He retconned out the VF-19 for aesthetic purposes. I'm still waiting for the NUNS entry...

He retconned out the VF-19 for aesthetic purposes. I'm still waiting for the NUNS entry...

For all we know though, it's just the Macross Frontier fleet that isn't using VF-19s. The Macross 5 fleet used VF-14s as their main fighter instead of the VF-11 after all. It does seem that each fleet has a certain bit of discretion on what they produce.

I agree it's taking official information too far to say the VF-19 is retconned out of the canon. Kawamori actually doesn't give an "in universe" reason, only a production reason. And like I've said time and again, Kawamori and Co. make decisions always based on the current anime and to hell with continuity. But even so, this does not preclude the VF-19 from existing anymore than the VF-1 or the VF-0. All it means is - in universe - the VF-19 was not continued as the main variable fighter in the Frontier era. That's all we can say for certain.

This does mean one thing however; Kawamori stating the VF-19 was removed from Frontier for similarity purposes means that our speculations (hopes) for seeing the VF-19 in Macross Frontier are very remote.

Edited by Mr March

I agree it's taking official information too far to say the VF-19 is retconned out of the canon. Kawamori actually doesn't give an "in universe" reason, only a production reason. And like I've said time and again, Kawamori and Co. make decisions always based on the current anime and to hell with continuity. But even so, this does not preclude the VF-19 from existing anymore than the VF-1 or the VF-0. All it means is - in universe - the VF-19 was not continued as the main variable fighter in the Frontier era. That's all we can say for certain.

This does mean one thing however; Kawamori stating the VF-19 was removed from Frontier for similarity purposes means that our speculations (hopes) for seeing the VF-19 in Macross Frontier are very remote.

I agree. It's been twelve years since Dynamite 7, and nine since VF-X2...why couldn't the VF-19 have just been replaced at this time?

And, um, we also might not see the 19 in MF because a CGI model wouldn't work. Not sayin' that definitively, but it's possible.

:)

We're still working on the copy-paste of the articles. :) Trust me, it's taking some time. Especially the formatting. <_<

The old site is still here: http://macross.anime.net/index.html

(Poking my head into the site) - Macross Compendium going wiki is groovy. I was poking my head around in there earlier this evening, and I am mighty impressed with the work done so far. I totally agree that wiki formating is a pain.

Nevertheless, a request: as it currently stands, navigation is quite difficult. Any chance that some type of table of contents will be created in the near future, which is linked off of every page?

Until then, I recommend MWers go to the "recent changes" link - http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Special:Recentchanges It may be a bit confusing, but it is the easiest way to see what's been created so far.

I'm seriously tempted to dust of my wiki coding skills and assist...

Very cool idea, especially since Wikipedia's Macross entry is abysmal.

But does anyone else find it ironic that Egan will be allowing outsiders to enter content? Whenever Egan pops in MW, it's usually to correct our own content. :lol:

edit: Interesting. During registration it explains that adding in your e-mail account is optional, but if you try to view any categories you get the error:

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group emailconfirmed.

Registration should state that if you wish to view any of the categories that e-mail confirmation is required.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Very cool idea, especially since Wikipedia's Macross entry is abysmal.

But does anyone else find it ironic that Egan will be allowing outsiders to enter content? Whenever Egan pops in MW, it's usually to correct our own content. :lol:

I've made a few pages, but only with information from the old Compendium (and I got to Minmay first! SCORE!!! :lol: )

Yeah, I've done no wiki work outside of my old WoW guild's wiki, and I'm just not comfortable with doing that sorta thing on the Compendium wiki. My own work is one thing, someone else's work, well... I'm content with fixing mistakes.

I like wiki, flaws and all. If this Macross Compendium move had happened a year ago, I would have been all over it helping out. But now, I have the M3 that I must concentrate on. But I think everyone appreciates that I work on the M3, so I have an iron clad excuse :)

Edited by Mr March

Fixing mistakes or importing content from the old Compendium.

That said. I think there's a lot of stuff that wasn't covered in detail at the old site which should be improved for this one...I'd like to see more information about chapters of the Macross story which are a little less accesible to us, like the short stories or drama albums...

But who's gonna write those entries?

The downside is that this means this is not a reliable source of information or remotely official since anyone can put anything into it.

Egan is suppose to look over all the entries made, but there's lots of info there to sort out. We're taking the Compendium and moving to a more modern format and it is taking some time. Perhaps the best thing for those of you who are contributing is formatting and categorizing.

The downside is that this means this is not a reliable source of information or remotely official since anyone can put anything into it.

I'm guessing that most of the editors and writers will be Macrossworlders, and we're pretty trustworthy, don't you think?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go off and edit the SDF M entry to say that it's just a badly done Japanese translation of Robotech.

Yeah, that's good. I was sure Egan wouldn't make such a major move if it jeopardized the content. This move was the right move, IMO. Better format, better access and more help for Egan. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to run the whole show yourself :)

I understand where you're coming from, but the old Compendium will still be up, at least for now. There's always the chance that some erroneous entries will be overlooked or that an edit war will flare up, so for the forseeable future I'd use the new Compendium as an semi-formal resource and stick with the old Compendium for citation purposes. Finally, like azrael said, Egan will be moderating this wiki and it exists with Big West's blessing.

Edited by TheLoneWolf