How you Californians handling the fire?

Vinny

I'm in Simi Valley here. The house behind me were evacuated but we weren't. A big road seperates us from them so it should be OK. But there was so much ash it was almost like it was snowing. It's on the other side of the city now, so I'm hoping everything will be OK. I know there are alot of other people in California here, so how are you handling it?

Im in chatsworth and i can see the smoke over the hills, plus my dad works at simi valley hospital so he was evacuating people yesterday.....these fires really suck and i hope these people get caught whoever they are.. :angry:

I'm in Northern California so the only help I can provide wouldn't matter that much. Seeing these fires remind me of the Oakland/Alameda fires from several years ago.......my prayers are with you ladies and gentlemen. :(

I'm out in Lakewood, closer to the beach than the mountains. But I woke up and there are ashes everywhere and the sun was blood red all day. What did Legolas say about the sun rising red? Everything smells like soot and people are walking around with surgery masks. Yeah, I hope they find these low lifes...

I'm out in Lakewood, closer to the beach than the mountains. But I woke up and there are ashes everywhere and the sun was blood red all day. What did Legolas say about the sun rising red? Everything smells like soot and people are walking around with surgery masks. Yeah, I hope they find these low lifes...

"Awake! Awake!" he cried. "It is a red dawn. Strange things await us by the eves of the forest. Good or evil, I do not know; but we are called. Awake!"

I'm in Simi Valley here.  The house behind me were evacuated but we weren't.  A big road seperates us from them so it should be OK.  But there was so much ash it was almost like it was snowing.  It's on the other side of the city now, so I'm hoping everything will be OK.  I know there are alot of other people in California here, so how are you handling it?

I'm in Northridge so I'm fine, But My best friend is in San Diego (3 miles from that fire), and I haven't heard from him in a few hours. I have plenty Of Co workers who live in Simi Valley who might not be in the best shape, and my job is only two exits from Moorpark so getting to work will be hell tomorrow morning. :(

Edited by NSJ23

those fires remind me of the '98 fires we had down here in Florida, hope u guys make it ok over there in Cali.

Yeah, the last time it was this bad in So Cal was in 95.

The governator isn't doing anything. He's not in office yet. Davis is still in charge. Some of my friends who went to the evacuation center at San Bernadino Airport saw his speech.

I'm glad the electricity hasn't gone out again recently. I haven't been home all weekend, so this is just what my mom told me, and it sounded pretty bad. Though I was a few cities down (Agora Hills) and the air was still pretty bad down there. But so far none of my friends or family have gotten hurt so I am some what happy. I'm also glad the fires moving away from my house. I think it missed the Ronald Reagan library too, luckily. I love that place ^_^.

AND NO SCHOOL!!!! College is closed, as the fire was damn near close to it, and school or not, I don't care, because I love my classes ^_^.

Good luck to everyone else affected by the fire.

I live over in Mira Mesa. My roommate woke me up at about 10 a.m. and she said I better check the news. Let's just say I promptly started packing essentials and loaded stuff into the car. To my joy I noticed I had a flat tire <_< I put the spare on and called the duty officer at work to see if we were required and they said not to.

I was ready to hit the road as soon as the authorities said so and thankfully it hasn't crept all the way to our part yet.

I live in Long Beach so my experience was about the same...

I live in Ontario. (About 15 miles away from the fires in Rancho Cucamonga.) Let me tell you...there are ashes EVERYWHERE!!! My car and all the cars on the streets are full of ashes. It is so bad that the ashes are coming in the house. Plus, my allergies are killing me. At times when I step outside I have a hard time breathing. I hope they contain this fire soon. Though I hear it is only 5% contained. :blink:

I live here in downtown San Diego. Fortunately there are no fires close by, but as you look outside everything looks light red or amber as if you were living in the deserts of Mars. It's really strange.

My wife just told me that a may we saw on the news was crying because his children died in his car :(:(:(

Yesterday, I found out that a neighbor who had a home in the East county lost everything! Their home has burned down and when his aunt and uncle tried to leave, their truck stalled from all the smoke! It was so hot, their tires were on fire. I can't believe all this stuff.

I am about to leave and try to go to work and pick up some sugical masks. I know our police and firefighters are working OVERTIME. MUCH respect to those guys.

I woke up to red windows, but many of those guys have not slept at all.

Right now the sherriff is saying that you you see a fire next to you, don't wait for official word and just leave.

Over 130,000 acres have been lost and about 500 homes. It's a sad day here in "sunny" San Diego. Please pray for rain!

In the air index 40 is considered bad. In some areas of SD the air index is 90! :(

***They finally have a guy in custody who they think started one of the fires if not all. It was a hunter who started a signal fire to try to find a friend :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Edited by SDFcommander

Well, I guess I'm lucky that the fire has left my city. Every hill I look on surrounding Simi is just black. I just thank God it missed my house. School is closed tomorrow also. It's really bad. I just hope it doesn't come back here, but there doesn't seem to be anything left to burn in the hills here in Simi. Good luck again to everyone who are affected by this. I hope you experience the same luck I had with this.

I live in Pomona and it's not going to well for me. frakking arsonists...I have a cold right now, and the extremely poor air quality isn't making things better for me. Hell, I blow my nose and I see little specks of ash in my snot! :( Get this: I'm driving and I stop under a tree, and what do I hear? The noise of ash that has gathered on the tree hitting my car! That's how bad it is. Although I have to admit that the sun does look cool in the morning.

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

Im in chatsworth and i can see the smoke over the hills, plus my dad works at simi valley hospital so he was evacuating people yesterday.....these fires really suck and i hope these people get caught whoever they are.. :angry:

I'm in Chatsworth as well. Went up to Topanga Canyon and Devonshire and got some pics of the fire north of the 118. The shots don't do it justice but it looked pretty mean. From what the news stations were saying, a lot of the fire fighters are trying to hold out there and prevent the fire from hitting south of the freeway. Should be an interesting night for them and I hope they're able to hold the fire back.

Worst part for me was that I've got a wood shake roof :( My wife and I knew we wanted to replace it and were planning on it for next year. I'm starting to wish we'd had the cash to do it this year instead. Oh well. So far, so good. I've watered down the roof several times now. I just hope it's enough to last the night as I think I'm going to try to get some sleep.

Here's some not-all-that-great pictures I took of the fire north of the 118 (from Devonshire and Topanga)

http://home.socal.rr.com/niomosy/images/si...simi_fire_2003/

Right now we've got everything important near the door and the cars in the driveway instead of the garage for a quick getaway. Hopefully we won't have to resort to that. We're pretty close to some of the evacuation areas so it's been nerve-racking. Hope it turns out okay.

Best of luck to everyone near the fires. Hope we all come out of it okay.

Edited by niomosy