The most prophetic sci-fi films

Mr March

I was just thinking about this a few nights ago and came up with this list as the top 5 most important Sci-fi films ever:

1. Forbidden Planet

2. 2001

3. Star Wars

4. Alien

5. Blade Runner

What do you think?

The context of the article isn't "10 Best Sci-fi films", it's "10 Best Prophetic films". 2001: A Space Oydessy is pretty low and for good reason. And I would place Space Tourism on the "Undecided" list considering we are still a ways from it. We still get pre-flight instructions on what to do in the event of a plane crash. To say we will need no training is is still somewhat off. We will need to know how to put on and use a space suit. It's not like grab the mask, place it over your nose and mouth and pull the elastic cords to tighten.

I would consider Minority Report higher than Gattaca though. The Running Man and The Truman Show, I would consider higher than Minority Report. Reality shows are a dime a dozen now. And although video editing hasn't become what Photoshoppin' an image has become, you can always string a set of photoshopped images together into a video.

Well...ANY list like this is bound to be flawed...most SF is not designed to be "prophetic," it's simply a vehicle to tell a certain story, wrestle with a certain idea, or illuminate a certain character. Making a list most prophetic SF movies is kind of like making a list of most historically accurate fantasy novels. What's the point?

Yes, another dreaded list has been published to nitpick :) Check it out here:

The 10 Most Prophetic Sci-Fi Movies Ever

Comments? :)

Freakly true too!

1. Gattaca - yep! There has been talk for close to a decade about engineering out disease from conception onwards. However this movie takes it the logical step forward. Genetic Cast systems. We already dozens of small company's delving into this area and with the Insurance company's influence the Clinton genetic laws will be throw-out once the costs for testing drop down into the thousand. Also we currently have the beginning steps of bio-locks and quick testing.

2. Minority Report - yep! Sure Pre-cog is un-proven, but pre-emptive jailing for 'potential' criminals has already started and once the social patterns & genetic patterns that make a criminal are found and proven true crimes won't have to be done in order for a person to be jailed.

3. Road Warrior - yep! Compare the barbaric actions of the "cops" and compare them with todays police force. The only real difference is the missing dune buggy's!

4. The Truman Show - freaking Reality Shows! Damn you Europe! Damn you!!!!

5. Destination Moon - haven't seen it.

6. The Running Man - Survivor anyone??? I still kept expecting to see some bloodshed during the first episode. <_<

7. Blade Runner - miss. New York & San Franciso had looked like that for decades before the movie came out. Cloned Humans - miss. We can 'print' organs that don't require immunity drugs and are faster to grow.

8. Soylent Green - some miss, some hit. Industrial cannibalism well all you have to do is look at history's of some country's and US states (Alaska) and you will see that it's true, but on a small scale. (Would Mexican's taste like chicken??) Overpopulation is a hammer that some groups of people have been using for longer than that film has been around.

9. Short Circuit - yep Military robots, but like Soylent Green & Blade Runner it's actually an old concept with the cute Asimov AI idea thrown in.

10. 2001: A Space Odyssey - 50% yes & 50% no. Space Tourism actually Pre-dates 2001 by nearly 20 years. But it's a good thing current AI isn't to HAL's point yet.....

Edited by chrono

Well...ANY list like this is bound to be flawed...most SF is not designed to be "prophetic," it's simply a vehicle to tell a certain story, wrestle with a certain idea, or illuminate a certain character. Making a list most prophetic SF movies is kind of like making a list of most historically accurate fantasy novels. What's the point?

Actually much of SF, especially hard-SF, does concern itself with speculating on human, societal, and technological development and what it means for the human condition. And much of SF written by the likes of Philip K. Dick were commentaries and responses to societal trends at the time of their writing. Authors like Clarke do more than provide vehicles to tell a story. In fact, their speculations on technology and humanity *is* often the story. Sci-Fi is also known as "Speculative Fiction" by those who like to downplay the teen-male-geekiness of the genre, although sub-genres of Sci-Fi like Space Opera don't always concern themselves as much with realistic speculation and pertinant social commentaries (not that they can't).

Two candidates for "prophetic"

1. Robocop

2. Mad Max

These movies turned out to be somewhat accurate in some aspects, but tragically so. Their bleak visions of societal decay; ultra-violent criminals; corporate greed, corruption, and blatant profiteering, and the like have hit all too close to the mark in the subsequent decades since they first drew controversy in theaters. Stories of marauding gangs, hi-powered shootouts with authorities, spree-killing jail breaks and mayhem--stuff that was meant to shock the sensibilities of moviegoers, make us fear our impending spiral into cultural degenration--barely make viewers bat an eye when they look at the news nowadays; "if it bleeds, it leads..." <_<

Too bad they missed on the cool stuff, like ED 209's and cybernetic armor...

Oh wait a minute, there's that other thread on the military's "exo-skeleton," HAL. [http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=14505&hl=exo+skeleton]

I guess that's a near hit...

Oops, linky no worky

Edited by reddsun1

No,

Road Warrior = Mad Max 2

Curses upon WB for mixing up the title the way they did way back when...while the original MM was not quite as apocalyptic, people didn't always know to connect the two stories and see their continuity. We could just as easily see the opening Night Rider chase scene on "Fox's Wildest Police Chases" or the nightly news as we could if we popped in the DVD...

Edited by reddsun1

Actually much of SF, especially hard-SF, does concern itself with speculating on human, societal, and technological development and what it means for the human condition. And much of SF written by the likes of Philip K. Dick were commentaries and responses to societal trends at the time of their writing. Authors like Clarke do more than provide vehicles to tell a story. In fact, their speculations on technology and humanity *is* often the story. Sci-Fi is also known as "Speculative Fiction" by those who like to downplay the teen-male-geekiness of the genre, although sub-genres of Sci-Fi like Space Opera don't always concern themselves as much with realistic speculation and pertinant social commentaries (not that they can't).

I completely agree with you, so maybe I didn't make my point well enough...Simply put, I think there's a big difference between "What if by the year 2050, we had X...what would happen?" and "By the year 2050, we WILL have X, and this is how it will change things." The first is a game that all SF writers play, the second is a house of cards waiting to get toppled by whatever unforseen advance comes along to render the speculation invalid. The question for any SF writer is not, "Will X happen?" but "If X happens, will it have some interesting consequences?"

Most of the best SF is, as you say, social commentary or speculation, but not usually outright prediction. Which is why Asimov (to pick one of MANY examples) is still readable today, even though a lot of his speculations are outdated. Or why we can still watch Macross, even though an alien spaceship didn't crash in the South Pacific in 1999, and (I hope) none of us ever expects to see an F-14 that can turn into a robot.

Macross is crap as prophecy (why doesn't anyone have a cell phone? And why is Minmay making RECORDS?), but the "What if...?" game is thought out well, and it's a damn good story. Which, in the long run, makes it good SF.

No Robocop = fail.

LOL

Robocop's depraved society is probably a good prediction.

Also I agree that Aliens should have been on that list over some of the other ones. The author of the article didn't seem to do much research outside of the Sci-Fi films that are on nearly every list.

Space tourism as a "hit?" BS.

They just tossed it on there in light of Arthur C. Clark's death and because 2001 is the go-to movie for anyone wanting to sound like they know anything about Sci-Fi (not that I claim to btw).

Edited by Max Jenius

Dude... why isn't Tron on that list?!? My user will be very unhappy.

Funny you should mention Tron. :) Although very off (and probably why it didn't make the list), we do create accounts on games, forums, and whatnot that represent us in the online world. And although they don't go around the online world trying to crash a server they are used to combat others in a gladiator-type setting, in a sense. That is, unless it's a bot roaming around WoW.

As much as I love most of the movies that have been mentioned so far, I hate to say but most

of them are just "bubblegum" pics. Not B-Grade but certainly taking an easier and more

superficial view of the world.

I think that the most prophetic films are often more literary ones. And quite often they

have taken as much "Science" out of the Science Fiction as possible.

Lets see, a prophetic Sci-Fi film about our world. With the world in which we now existing

in a constant state of war against a virtually unseen enemy. An enemy with a leader who

cannot be tracked down but still uses various media to taunt us. Even though we are not

sure if he is alive or dead.

With governments and business encouraging us to blindly follow. Where voices of dissent are

considered to be the enemy?

A world in which we are constantly being monitored (and watched) by CCTV cameras.

A world in which the language is being corrupted, shortened and simplified to such an extent

that it is often unrecognisable to older generations.

A world in which living standards are falling for many, but the leaders tell us that we have

never had it better.

A world in which Big Brother is very popular.

In other words.

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Filmed several times and one of the greatest works of literature ever.

George Orwell was a true visionary. And to think that the book was really about 1948.

Taksraven

"Do it to Julia!!!!!"

Edited by taksraven

Most of the best SF is, as you say, social commentary or speculation, but not usually outright prediction. Which is why Asimov (to pick one of MANY examples) is still readable today, even though a lot of his speculations are outdated. Or why we can still watch Macross, even though an alien spaceship didn't crash in the South Pacific in 1999, and (I hope) none of us ever expects to see an F-14 that can turn into a robot.

Oh right. I don't think the point of Sci-Fi is *to* predict either. Rather, thoughtful speculation is integral to the story-telling. Do that enough and you're bound to get a hit. I would say that Asimov is readable and relevant because the speculations central to his stories still haven't occurred, although, even though some of the peripheral predictions seem outdated today.

And I think that list was really more of a "Oh, this is neat-- and these authors had great foresight." sort of thing, and not so much, "No flying cars? FAIL."

Ok, it was a book first but "Running man" will probably be put on a list like this within the next 15 years. We're already seeing celebrities "dying" on screen (celebrity Big Brother, anyone?) and it won't be long before Joe Public gets immolated on live tv for our enjoyment ^_^

Edited by Alex

I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for saying this, but right now I think Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is a really prophetic film, at least more forward thinking than anything we see in contemporary sci-fi. I think it provides an interesting insight into how technology might define our lives. I really enjoyed their take on information management and politics in an "open" society where internet has been a staple for peoples lives for over a generation. Very few visions have really addressed in a realistic fashion, most attempt to make extremist claims of how a society might operate and in some way lose its credibility. Look at Gattica, its this world where society has reached this polarized extreme genetic selection. Sure its a important warning, but it doesn't to me present a credible version of our future. The same goes for 1984; government control is certainly a risk, but it that ignores a huge body of individuals within many western countries who fight for civil liberties.

Instead GITS SAC presents a balanced perspective of a future society extrapolating from some current trends. Sure the WWIII idea is a bit farfetched and many of the technologies (full cyborgs for example) are unlikely to happen. However beyond that, many of the same problems that afflict our society; corruption, crime, and poverty are played out in futuristic landscape. Thats why I think its such a great setting.

Oh right. I don't think the point of Sci-Fi is *to* predict either. Rather, thoughtful speculation is integral to the story-telling. Do that enough and you're bound to get a hit. I would say that Asimov is readable and relevant because the speculations central to his stories still haven't occurred, although, even though some of the peripheral predictions seem outdated today.

And I think that list was really more of a "Oh, this is neat-- and these authors had great foresight." sort of thing, and not so much, "No flying cars? FAIL."

Yes, but really...No flying cars? In 2008? Seriously? EPIC FAIL for the human race! The Jetsons is WAY better than reality.

Should Logan's Run be on that list? The whole crazy population control thing.

It's not the same idea at all but some of the more outspoken politicians here in teh UK have recently started talking about compulsary sterilaisation for aprents who don't work and have children just to live off the benefits.

What about Silent Running, will we be forced to preserve Gardens/wildlife etc as we use up more and more of our planet's surface.

Lets see, a prophetic Sci-Fi film about our world. With the world in which we now existing

in a constant state of war against a virtually unseen enemy. An enemy with a leader who

cannot be tracked down but still uses various media to taunt us. Even though we are not

sure if he is alive or dead.

With governments and business encouraging us to blindly follow. Where voices of dissent are

considered to be the enemy?

A world in which we are constantly being monitored (and watched) by CCTV cameras.

A world in which the language is being corrupted, shortened and simplified to such an extent

that it is often unrecognisable to older generations.

A world in which living standards are falling for many, but the leaders tell us that we have

never had it better.

A world in which Big Brother is very popular.

In other words.

Nineteen Eighty-Four

George Orwell was a true visionary. And to think that the book was really about 1948.

Taksraven

"Do it to Julia!!!!!"

Thanks for the awesome post!!

I totally agree 1984 is one of the best modern pieces of literature. But I was pretty unimpressed with the one film version I saw.

Still quoting "Do it to Julia!!!!!" instead of "He loved Big Brother."

Massive kudos to you, sir! B))

Totally agree GITS(SAC) should be on the list. Tech crimes are increasing and will exponentially as technology evolves. As to cyborgs, its the logical endpoint of the prosthetics industry. Put this together with the ability to digitize consciousness (and therefore an impetus to create physical shells for AI or Digitized consciousness), I think its only a matter of time, perhaps as close as in 50 years. All this bears in mind the graph of exponentially advancing technology. Internet is here to stay and I am thinking it will evolve into a form perhaps unbelievable to people of our generation.

As an aside: WWIII might be unthinkable, but wasn't WWII as well (and it took place less than a generation after WWI as well which was then touted to be the last world war - if memory serves)? Heck, who knows the next world war might be started online...

I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for saying this, but right now I think Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is a really prophetic film, at least more forward thinking than anything we see in contemporary sci-fi. I think it provides an interesting insight into how technology might define our lives. I really enjoyed their take on information management and politics in an "open" society where internet has been a staple for peoples lives for over a generation. Very few visions have really addressed in a realistic fashion, most attempt to make extremist claims of how a society might operate and in some way lose its credibility. Look at Gattica, its this world where society has reached this polarized extreme genetic selection. Sure its a important warning, but it doesn't to me present a credible version of our future. The same goes for 1984; government control is certainly a risk, but it that ignores a huge body of individuals within many western countries who fight for civil liberties.

Instead GITS SAC presents a balanced perspective of a future society extrapolating from some current trends. Sure the WWIII idea is a bit farfetched and many of the technologies (full cyborgs for example) are unlikely to happen. However beyond that, many of the same problems that afflict our society; corruption, crime, and poverty are played out in futuristic landscape. Thats why I think its such a great setting.

I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for saying this, but right now I think Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is a really prophetic film

Not quite since Computer programming is increasing far faster than cybernetics is and should leap frog it for AI control.

Sure the WWIII idea is a bit farfetched and many of the technologies (full cyborgs for example) are unlikely to happen.

Actually WW3 is far more likely to happen because moderate govt's are losing power and a communistic govt is gaining power in all areas by the week.And it'll be VERY hard to stop 2 billion people from enforcing their will on others. Besides with the increasing degeneration caused by the digital media in the moderate countries causing the dumbing down will only increase the potential for destabilizing those economy's.

Nineteen Eighty-Four

I agree with you to a point, but I think that Brazil may have hit it a little better. Not only are many of Orwell's themes present, but the government relies on the fear of terrorism to keep the populace in line. They use the threat so much, in fact, that the safety precautions are absolutely ridiculous, and the average people think nothing of it, and seem unaware when something bad actually happens.

Sniffing machines at metal detectors

Continual spin on TV

Excessive computer-based escapism of the populace

Backstabbing and excessively compartmentalized office culture

A bureaucracy so thick you can't even get your air conditioner fixed (we're not quite there, YET).

Of course, it's been a while since I've seen '84, so all this may be present. Brazil seems to be Terry Gilliam's oddball take on 84 anyway; but I believe he captures the inanity of it all, while 84 just showed us the despair.