Star Wars toys

Man they should give us a Darth Revan with ball jointed knees and ankles too, those are the only joints missing on the figure!

Easily solved with a customization. I first put some 500th Vader legs from the knee down on there (simple boil and pop). I'm thinking of using an extra "Darth Stalker (Secret Apprentice Sith Lord version), though, since the "wrappings" look the same.

Edited by Uxi

Easily solved with a customization. I first put some 500th Vader legs from the knee down on there (simple boil and pop). I'm thinking of using an extra "Darth Stalker (Secret Apprentice Sith Lord version), though, since the "wrappings" look the same.

Hmmm...that is worth trying out, Revan is my favorite character. I wish it had a more accurate head though, don't know what concept art hasbro was looking at when they sculpted his head!

^^I'm not a big fan of the wrinkled/"decayed by the Dark Side" headsculpt either.

But after trimming down the jaw-piece a bit and adding a slightly-more-pissed look to his eyebrows, Malak's noggin ain't all that bad.

I went out to Walmart tonight to pick up some cleaning stuff and a movie, but I ended up buying the Walmart exclusive Republic Gunship. I really wanted the TRU exclusive that came out awhile back, but never got around to it, and I really regret it. So i picked this one up with a half dozen Clone troopers to put in it. I had no idea the the gunship would be so huge! I'll post pics tomorrow.

^^I'm not a big fan of the wrinkled/"decayed by the Dark Side" headsculpt either.

We never got an (official anyways) look at Revan's noggin. It was just as easily a lava-lake damaged cranium (ala Vader) as much as a dermatitis on top of natural male pattern baldness. Reformed Revan could have just easily been surgically repaired or even left with a pasty white cranium since we never saw that either. Or could have possibly forgone a Sith-induced skinhead haircut for a traditional Jedi Mullet® instead.

^^Actually, I'm talking about Malak's wrinkly cueball head.

I kinda wish it was smooth, like the video game's rendition.

As for Revan having a cueball noggin, it's no big deal to me since I usually have him with this hood up.

Does anyone own an A-Wing fighter for the 3 3/4 figures? Good? Bad?

I checked out the one at Wal-Mart again today and am thinking about buying it ...

:ph34r:

The new A-wing is good IMO. The cockpit is better detailed over the past versions and the pilot figure is very cool. I like the new sculpt for the figure. Love the helmet and paint job overall. Simply a very nice looking vehicle. I like the included pilots that come with them. I am tempted to create panels to cover over the landing gear when retracted. This way I can hang it from the ceiling as if in flight.

Definitely have my eye on the TRU exclusive tie fighter with weathered white paint and large solar panels, and the B-wing. I have mixed feelings about the B-wing in that I would have preferred the ROTJ paint scheme. The new Dagger squadron color scheme is alright, but I would have hoped that the cannons and guns were molded in a dark grey or some sort of gunmetal color. I do love the pilot figure it comes with. The pilots are big plus in my book.

I need to wait another week to keep my budget in check. I will post pics a little later.

Here are some pics of the new A-wing toy.

Improvements from past releases are

Painted cockpit detail (they were stickers in past releases)

Painted markings on nose(2 white rings) (they were stickers in past releases)

Clear reinforcing plastic is gone from the engine nacelles

Much better weathering finish

Painted laser canons

Not sure if the yellow painted exhaust is new or not.

New pilot figure

The gimmicks for the A-wing

Canopy can be raised or lowered by sliding the switch(hump on the very top) forward to open and back to close.

Landing gear can be raised or lowered by sliding a little peg on the bottom forward or back.

Side canons can be unlocked by popping them outward a bit then rotated 360 degrees.

Pilot figure

The latest figures are simply awesome and blow away any previous ones that have come out a few years ago. I can't imagine that they will get much better than this in the future. Ton's of articulation on the figure. It does not come with a weapon unfortunately.

I few minor misses

The landing gear seems sturdy when tugged by hand as there is some spring tension. However, it tends to be a bit weak in that if you bump it from the front they will want to fold back up. The canopy will want to come down about halfway if bumped as well. The pilot figure cannot really grasp the control sticks while seated in the A-wing. I think it's due to the fact that the pilot's grip is molded a bit too small for the control sticks, so it's hard to get him to grasp the sticks. I was reluctant to really put a lot of force on it because I didn't want to warp or bend the control sticks too much, nor did I want to deform his hands so much either. Also, the control sticks are placed too high for the figure to grasp them in a natural looking position.

A couple of oddities

The paint scheme seems to be reversed from past releases. If you notice the red on the vehicle is not symmetric. There is a badge of red on the front nose, and a couple of darker grey patches on one side. This seemed to be on the other side in the past. As in past releases there is a panel that seems to have been designed as a battery compartment. However, this toy never had any electronic gimmicks even from the first release.

Overall, a nice toy with an excellent paint job on both the vehicle and the pilot figure. This is the best A-wing by far compared to any previous releases. I would recommend this to anyone who never had the chance to get any of the original trilogy toys. Heck even if you did get the original toys this one looks so much nicer with all the improvements to the appearance and the pilot figure. Since it's one of the smaller starfighters it doesn't look oddly out of scale or out of proportion as with some of the other toys designed for the figures.

post-690-1225342201_thumb.jpg post-690-1225342213_thumb.jpg

post-690-1225342223_thumb.jpg post-690-1225342239_thumb.jpg

post-690-1225342250_thumb.jpg post-690-1225342264_thumb.jpg

post-690-1225342275_thumb.jpg post-690-1225342287_thumb.jpg

Edited by sharky

@sharky:

Thanks for the detailed review and pics - I am sold!! The A-wing looks awesome!!

I'm going to fit this into my toy budget next month!!

The only downslide is that I'm not really a SW toy collector and if I get this, I might start wanting to collect the other Rebel fighters ...

:lol:

Edited by Vermillion21

I remember when they were clearancing A-wings for like $5 at TRU, I bought like 10 of 'em. Anyway, still no SFX for the A-wing? That's too bad. I've always enjoyed that feature about my FX X-wings.

-Question about Y-wings, do any of you guys that own them have the problem of the landing gear not being able to support the weight of the fighter? My 'Y is always sitting on its belly because of this...

Edited by myk

@sharky:

Thanks for the detailed review and pics - I am sold!! The A-wing looks awesome!!

I'm going to fit this into my toy budget next month!!

The only downslide is that I'm not really a SW toy collector and if I get this, I might start wanting to collect the other Rebel fighters ...

:lol:

I know what you mean. :D I keep trying to tell myself that I will only focus on Macross toys. But, then I saw this A-wing and had to have it. Now I'm thinking about the TRU tie fighter. I also have my eye on the B-wing, but I may try to get the Power of the Jedi version off of ebay since it's painted in the ROTJ scheme. I even bought the new Ten Numb figure already which is of the same quality as my new A-wing pilot figure. The Evolutions 3-pack that it came in has an X-wing pilot and a Snowspeeder pilot. I wonder if these vehicles will get released again in the future?

I just like that I can go down to my local Wal-mart, Target, TRU, and pick up these items as opposed to ordering something Macross from a website and paying through the nose for international shipping. The hunt is kind of fun as well. :D

Personally, I've grown to care less whether the ship has sounds/lights.. I have two FX X-wings (well.. one and a half, I bought a spare fuselage off ebay for the good nosecone to stick on one of my Red Leader versions :) ) That A-wing just looks too cool, and electronics might just mess it up. I never cared for all the gimmicks the FXwing had, especially the flight handle.

I'd really like to get a B-Wing, but the Y-wing has never impressed me much... it's just too much like a joke machine, since they stubbyfied it. The B-wing looks better somehow, and the A-wing and FXwings look nearly perfectly scaled, but the Y-wing got the (very) short end of the stick.

Now that new pilot pack is awesome... I considered getting it just to have a Wes Janson figure, so I can use him to torment my Wedge figure. ^_^

Ditto on not caring so much about sounds and lights. Although it is a nice thing to add. I don't personally have the FX X-wing, but from the reviews I've seen on youtube it is pretty cool. I didn't feel it was necessary to have the no-removable pilot and R2. I thought the whole head turning gimmick was a bit much, and I would have preferred removable figures instead. What I found disappointing is that they put all this effort into making it more authentic with the detailing and better proportions, but then they added in a silly missile firing gimmick that shoots out of the very bottom. Why didn't they make the proton torpedo shoot out of the side ports like in the movie? It would have been better to simply not have any firing missiles and/or put a light effect in the proper torpedo ports on the nose.

I wouldn't mind getting the Dagobah X-wing which is based on the FX X-wing, but with no lights and sounds. These have room for a removable pilot and R2 unit. The funny things is I remember passing it up at TRU because of the swamp moss on it. I didn't realize at the time that it was completely removable and simply were rubber pieces that sat on top. I've been kicking myself ever since. :(

I wouldn't mind getting the Dagobah X-wing which is based on the FX X-wing, but with no lights and sounds. These have room for a removable pilot and R2 unit. The funny things is I remember passing it up at TRU because of the swamp moss on it. I didn't realize at the time that it was completely removable and simply were rubber pieces that sat on top. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Wedge's version is rumored next. Thanks for the review for the A-wing man, I will buy it eventually! Also, a rebel ground crew battle pack with equipment and some ground cart or something that one of them can drive is coming out. I think it has a boarding ladder!

So, Wedge's X-wing will be released sometime in the future. That's great news. I suppose I will wait for that release rather than buying an older one off of ebay. I recently got the newest Tie Fighter today at TRU. I will post some pics of it sometime soon. I like the larger solar panels on it, and it includes a new pilot figure.

I got 2 of the Red Leader X-Wing. What Hasbro should really do is something like the Yamato stickers and include several different hashes (up to 10 maybe?) and different pilot names, maybe different levels of kill marks. Bonus points if they did something like Rogue Squadron Emblems and maybe some new/EU squadron logos (sorta like the new Clone Wars Gunships/ARC Fighters with their WW2 imagery).