Macross II toys and figures

CAIN MKII

Dude, mecha tastes are one thing but Mac2 is empirically bad! I have the DVD and the story is so boring I could never even finish it.

I guess I could check it out right now, but I rather waste my spare time on these boards than take a look at it. Yes, I think it's THAT bad.

Edit: Oh, and I too want my 1/60 PT VF-2ss, Bandai. Thanks.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Seriously. I've watched both. I hate the VFs in Mac+, and the back story for the three main characters is just retarded. I stand by what I said, Mac2 is better than Mac+

$#q#d^fugw$@^*tdgwg%wxrw!!!! You're kidding right?? :lol::o:unsure:

I've championed and respected every opinion in the name of free speech and debate but I fear you've set a boundary I cannot cross~ :o:(

Sincerely.... good luck rallying support. :unsure:

Edited by Nani?!

You guys are aware that Bandai is planning on re-releasing the VF-2SS kit right?

HLJ has the Bandai VF-2S kits in stock.

...the back story for the three main characters is just retarded.

What was the back story? I only watched up to part 3 of the VHS tapes that I bought years ago. I never even bothered to DL anything after that because the end parts of all anime I watched at that time just became such a huge let down that I won't bother finish watching any series due to that.

My brother guessed that Isamu raped Myung or something. I'm apalled and disgusted if true.

HLJ has the Bandai VF-2S kits in stock.

Watch all of Mac Plus then you will be able to debate the merits or failures of it on the same level as the rest of the board. Besides it's the only Macross production Kawamori wrote specifically as a "foreign" film aka Western film, which is why it is such a fan favorite here as opposed to Japan.

I liked the mecha, but the YF-21 had to grow on me, I must admit. The story was much more mature compared to Mac 7.

Mac 2 had a great premise, that I still believe was truncated for some unknown reason, similar to how I believe Zero is missing at least one more episode. Too many plot threads left hanging for it to be complete as it was. The deterioration of the animation by the last episode is well known and has been previously explained.

Edited by Zinjo

Mac 2 had a great premise, that I still believe was truncated for some unknown reason, similar to how I believe Zero is missing at least one more episode. Too many plot threads left hanging for it to be complete as it was. The deterioration of the animation by the last episode is well known and has been previously explained.

MacII wasn't truncated. I have the original 1992 LD's and after the credits roll on episode 1 there's an advertisement listing the release schedule for the remaining 5 episodes. Nowhere is there any mention of a 7th episode. More likely, the plot holes were intentionally unfullfilled to leave room for a possible sequel.

You guys are aware that Bandai is planning on re-releasing the VF-2SS kit right?

Yeah that's great news, but we also want a toy.

And here is what I think happened in mac +. Guld had no intention of raping myung in front of dyson, it was more like his zentradi anger made him want to grab her and beat da ho for cheating on him (perhaps she really loved dyson but didn't tell guld because he knew it would hurt his feelings?) but it just so happened that her shirt was ripped off revealing myung boobs which gave him a mini culture shock so he didn't get to go through with it. :D kinda funny when you think about it.

sight of Tits = culture shock

zentradi beating up a woman = DYRL male fighting the females as equal soldiers (not even a primary school knowledge of birds and bees) which is part of the mind prgramming working.

Loss of fighting will due to shock = same thing as when scene of kissing makes them go scared

Guld was just going to bitch slap his ho, but I don't think he wanted to rape. Just that is what it looked like due to the accidental ripping off of the shirt. So what is left in your mind is an image of chic with her shirt ripped off and you think it's an attempt to rape. But I think that was accidental. Kinda like homer simpson grabbing the lollie off the girl's butt in one episode of the simpsons to "eat sweet candy" and the community thought he was going after the girls and not the lollie stuck to her butt so it's hard to imagine them believing his side of the story. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm going to have to agree that much of the plot of Macross Plus is, as Greyryder aptly put it, retarded. Take away the sweet mecha action and somewhat interesting concert, and you're left with annoying and unlikeable characters, an amateurish reliance on flashbacks, and a bizarre yet contrived rape subplot. Oh, and don't forget the ugly character designs.

Macross II may not be masterpiece theatre, but it's not a whole lot worse than Macross Plus in my book.

I don't get why people say they are unlikable though?

One is a guy who keeps getting into trouble on purpose so he doesn't get promoted which allows him to keep flying (his main passion) and because he know it would be boring doing anything else.

The other is an alien who designs a transforming qrau who beats up the reckless pilot because he thinks his girl is in danger.

They may not be all that interesting people, but unlikable? I didn't find hikaru, misa, and minmay any more or less interesting than Guld, Myung and Dyson to be honest.

Now Shin in mac 0 I can understand. He's a great pilot stuck to old ways of thinking and doesn't do anything in the story. (I guess he is the opposite of Roy who could be mistaken for the leading man in the show) And I get the sense he is only that way just to introduce us to the valkyrie and the idea of transformation so the love with the island woman is just thrown in at the last minute. (the ova seems aimed at robot-fans more than fans of the love triangle romance. In fact I think without Roy some people might not have even had incentive to watch it)

Never watch MacII anime but I red the manga. Really boring and awfull.

I kinda enjoy Mac+ but I can't get on how unprofessional the two test pilots are when arguing about personal stuff during fly test.

They should have been fired the very first time they screwed up.

The mechas are pretty nice too.

Edited by CAIN MKII

I don't get why people say they are unlikable though?
Well, let me try to explain.

One is a guy who keeps getting into trouble on purpose so he doesn't get promoted which allows him to keep flying (his main passion) and because he know it would be boring doing anything else.
My issue with Isamu is he seems like a jackass and a cocky jerk. Not someone you want in a test plane. He doesn't seem to care about anyone else's feelings.

The other is an alien who designs a transforming qrau who beats up the reckless pilot because he thinks his girl is in danger.
To me, Gulds jealousy and hatred of Isamu makes him seem petty, and the whole rape mystery makes him...well, a possible rapist.

Myung seemed like a weak, needy, drama queen with too much emotional baggage. For minor characters there's blonde bimbo who liked Isamu, and the nerdy scientist.

That's how I see them. It's all a matter of opinion, but mine is an unpopular one you rarely hear, so I'm happy to share it with y'all.

They may not be all that interesting people, but unlikable? I didn't find hikaru, misa, and minmay any more or less interesting than Guld, Myung and Dyson to be honest.
I found Hikaru and Misa to be extremely likeable. Especially Misa (yowza!).

EDIT: Oh yeah. I haven't seen M+ in while, but I got the (crappy) Manga DVD just recently. Maybe I'll watch it this weekend and see if my feelings have changed.

Edited by danth

It's not true :)

That's good to know. Those flashback scenes were confusing. It showed Isamu grabbing something (with a sleazy grin on his face), then Myung's shirt ripping, then Guld punching Isamu, so those scenes were pieced together to look like what my brother guessed. How they were acting in the series sort of fit with the guess.

Watch all of Mac Plus then you will be able to debate the merits or failures of it on the same level as the rest of the board. Besides it's the only Macross production Kawamori wrote specifically as a "foreign" film aka Western film, which is why it is such a fan favorite here as opposed to Japan.

I liked the mecha, but the YF-21 had to grow on me, I must admit. The story was much more mature compared to Mac 7.

Well, what's seen can't be unseen, if it's going to be bad. :lol:

I don't have the urge to watch Macross Plus. Been lagging on lot's of things. I still haven't watched the last two episodes of Macross ZERO. If the last episode of Macross Plus is a well done closing ep. then maybe I'll check it out.

I liked the western aspect of Macross Plus. I took to the new VFs in Macross Plus and like 'em. I never got into that crazy anime stuff, I like to watch the detailed, as realistic as possible type animation like Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell.

I got a Macross Movie vibe from Macross II.

Yeah that's great news, but we also want a toy.

And here is what I think happened in mac +. Guld had no intention of raping myung in front of dyson, it was more like his zentradi anger made him want to grab her and beat da ho for cheating on him (perhaps she really loved dyson but didn't tell guld because he knew it would hurt his feelings?) but it just so happened that her shirt was ripped off revealing myung boobs which gave him a mini culture shock so he didn't get to go through with it. :D kinda funny when you think about it.

sight of Tits = culture shock

zentradi beating up a woman = DYRL male fighting the females as equal soldiers (not even a primary school knowledge of birds and bees) which is part of the mind prgramming working.

Loss of fighting will due to shock = same thing as when scene of kissing makes them go scared

Guld was just going to bitch slap his ho, but I don't think he wanted to rape. Just that is what it looked like due to the accidental ripping off of the shirt. So what is left in your mind is an image of chic with her shirt ripped off and you think it's an attempt to rape. But I think that was accidental. Kinda like homer simpson grabbing the lollie off the girl's butt in one episode of the simpsons to "eat sweet candy" and the community thought he was going after the girls and not the lollie stuck to her butt so it's hard to imagine them believing his side of the story. :D

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose that makes sense and the pills Guld kept taking was some kind of suppressant? I'm surprised they never explained that past portion in the series. In the year 2008, there are people who aren't shy talking about their past, so I'd expect people living on another planet in an incredible future would be mature enough to do the same.

CAIN MKII,

Only Isamu should have been kicked out of the test pilot phase, or die in that fight. I didn't really care for him.

1/1 LowViz Lurker,

Isamu was the only character I didn't like. I agree with danth's assessment of the main characters in Macross Plus.

I liked all the characters in Macross ZERO.

Apologies about derailing the thread. After a while, I'm kind of losing interest in the VF-2S or any Macross II VFs. I'm more of a robot fan after building the Kotobukiya Armored Core kits, I'm hooked on that stuff.

I kinda enjoy Mac+ but I can't get on how unprofessional the two test pilots are when arguing about personal stuff during fly test.

They should have been fired the very first time they screwed up.

I think that was the reason they sent Dyson to test pilot the plane in the first place because no one else would accept him. :D He is sort of like Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon movies - kinda immature, only good at one thing, a bit crazy, but his skills are needed to (like accepting a dangerous suicidal mission) push the limit of the plane or else nothing will get done. It takes balls to test the plane which makes them the 'pioneers' able to explore new areas, (ie see the episode where Dyson and Myung are talking about wandering off by himself to discover something new and guld tagging along) exploit the limits of the tech (yang hacking into the defenses to give dyson a chance to land on earth without dying) and innovate (Guld's mind-machine interface which is a first that allows an average pilot to stand a chance to beat a more skilled one).

All these brave risks (whether it be business risks, risks to find new treasures in a dangerous place in the forest, beating the security through finding exploits in a program to manipulate it, breaking a world record etc) are all things that nobody would officially condone (due to 'danger' like the old man who wanted to use ghosts to replace human pilots) but are required in the real world and are useful to people and society in general. If you don't take risks, you deserve none of the treasure at the end of the journey/adventure and deserve to stay in your current state never achieving anything in your life and copying everything else others do and being a nobody rather than a person of notable status that is remembered for his actions.

Myung I think is meant to be the way she is to show us why sitting around and not making your dream come true despite some failures (but still continuing to pursue your dreams/career like a soldier getting up to fight a losing battle as his 'duty') is the wrong path if you are the type to really want to realise dreams. Yeah people die when you take a risk, but the rewards from taking those risks might be worth it if the people truly loved what they did and wouldn't have had it any way else. People will call you "stupid", an "ass", "cocky and arrogant", but that is to make them feel better about themselves and is an ego thing rather than because those people think it's wrong to at TRY something new and exciting and experience it first hand. (ie when myung talks about the fruit being horrible to taste without first testing it herself) The mind control of the AI telling you "you are useless, you are a failure, you are helpless and can't do anything right" symbolises all those people with negative attitudes who are just too cowardly to "take the dare" and it's this mantra of "not taking risks, be sensible, follow the system" of the machine that really only works on the weak-minded who don't want to think for themselves. But the stubborn and determined CAN break the system, bend the rules, make the impossible possible, if they keep trying. (very similar thing to basara in macross 7) It's a state of mind. Myung didn't have to accept the system telling her she is helpless and her life was over. But of course her sensible logical half wants to keep her safe from harm so she feels comfort in telling others to not do dangerous or risky things without realising that under certain circumstances the risk may be worth taking if the reward for success saves a life, breaks a record, makes you happy. (something a logical robot wouldn't understand)

I see Dyson as like Basara but instead of trying to stubbornly sing songs, he wants to be able to pull off the dangerous stunt. He chooses the other path, the dangerous path no normal pilot will take in order to show he can be in control of the uncontrollable plane, be "one with the machine", and outdo the competition. Without that passion his life is meaningless. Take it away and what's the point of living if you can't have fun?

Similarly I see that same trait in Hikaru and how his dad died in the circus, and although it wasn't in a war that same logic applies: people won't remember you for doing safe stunts, they won't remember you for copying what the other guy did, they won't benefit if you quit after failure. Nope they'll remember you for stubbornly keep trying and trying and like the pioneers who were told it was stupid to try to do it (and who managed to prove others wrong and became notable for it) the cocky and determined people who do the crazy experimental things will also be remembered because of what they achieved that others would purposely NOT do due to worries about their own safety. The test planes would not have gotten as far as they did without the pilots being determined to one-up each other so badly. I think it was this depression of Myungs that made the Sharon apple AI go rogue because she showed the machine that she had not spirit left to keep continuing to fight! Her spirit was absorbed by the AI and she was a souless shell. Yeah so although the characters are not profesional, they are perfectly suited to take a challenge, dare each other to do more dangerous things, and push the limits of the system to get results, which is what makes them similar to Hikaru or Roy who were both always rivals to each other and fearing that they will be one-upped.

In the case of hikaru it was more the fear of losing minmay's attention to Roy than for not being as good as Roy in combat. But guys you have to admit this idea in SDF:M of competing for the girl's attention by showing off, is a VERY SIMILAR THEME seen in macross plus and valid justification for why you could say that Macross Plus is not very different to SDF in terms of the characters. You are just attacking it because of nostalgia. There were MANY instances where Hikaru talked back to Misa in DYRL and SDF:Macross just as rudely as Dyson would choose to not follow orders in Plus, so please stop saying they are different. Dyson, (reckless pilot) Hikaru(talks back to Misa who is in charge), Basara (fruitcake who nobody understands) are all similar in their stubborness to go against the grain. But without the balls to take the needless risk (skills used to go down the stupid path - ie singing a song to make enemies stop fighting, inventing a new brainwave interface, arguing with the person in charge about which is the most *sensible thing to do) they wouldn't be as interesting to watch.

*I'm referring to how countless times Hikaru would put his own life in danger to rescue minmay or misa even though it was dangerous and go against orders handed down. (a reckless stunt can get you killed and seen, but other times that same reckless stunt might enable you to dodge a swarm of micromissiles and survive an extreme situation. (ie dyson dodging all the fire from the SDF-1 at the end of plus, or guld purposely crashing into the ghost to kill it which sounds crazy to sensible people worried about expesive technology being broken or getting fired to at least TRY)

There should be no excuses for not producing the Mac II toys! Yamato have what it takes to do it. That Bandi 1/72 scale model was the closest thing to a toy. And it was beyond awesome!!

I called this Macross racist among other Macross line.

Edited by Agent-GHQ

I really don't care about how good or how bad the Mac 2 anime is, my only interest here is to pray for Bandai (or revoltech)

to make kits/toys of the coolest mechas from the show. B))