Southern Cross & Genesis Climber Mospeada

rightstuf.com has these for pretty cheap. I'm wondering if the ADV box sets are the way to go? I have the AnimEigo box set from robotech.com and ready to start watching. By the time I'm done, I can start on the other two.

This subject might be better served in the 'Other anime/science fiction board", but... The ADV sets are pretty much the only game in town for a legit R1 release with subs. I have this set and the A/V quality is good, though don't expect much in the way of extras. There is a little bit of character and mecha lineart viewable as a slideshow on the discs, and a small booklet with some pretty cool interview material.

you might want to watch southern cross before you buy it (alot of ppl don't like it, even with japanese audio/english subs. i heard a rumor that it was canceled in japan and it was supposed to be longer than 23 episodes at first). i don't remember mospeada (i was like 6 or 8 when it originally aired and i just remember the bikes) 'cause cartoon network didn't air robotech: the new generation). sc and mospeada are both hosted on anime-eden.com with subs by A.S.S. A.S.S are NOT fansubbers, they rip hong kong dvds and sometimes the english subs are terrible. i have megazone 23 (the whole trilogy) ripped by A.S.S. and they did a good job, i have english and japanese audio plus english subtitles.

i was goin' to refer you to discountanimedvd.com for region free import dvds but they only have the adv dvds for those two series and rightstuf has the same dvd box sets for half the price.

I think Southern Cross will surprise you with its ambition and directing. The characters and story is pretty well done, however a lot of stuff built up early on is dropped at end so that it could have an ending. Mospeada is pretty average for its time. If you don't mind spoiler ridden reviews, Ginrai and I talked about both shows at length on our podcast at collectiondx

Edited by VF5SS

I think Mospeada is definitely worth owning. I'd put it almost on par with SDF Macross, maybe a little lower since the story isn't quite as interesting, but I actually like the characters in Mospeada better than the characters in Macross.

I've yet to watch Southern Cross (outside of what was used in Robotech). I've never really read anything about the show that makes me want to see it.

I really enjoyed both. I love Mospeada. Its one of my all time favorites and the original version is alot different in tone. Southern Cross is like an entire new show and honestly I think it was ahead of its time. I think had it come out in the late 80s it might have fared better.

Agreed, both are much better in their original Japanese incarnations but Southern Cross is completely different. Mospeada's changes are a lot more minor and tend to flesh out the inbit a bit more (they're not really parasitic creatures, they're rebuilding the Earth).

Man, at least get Mospeada!

For that price, even if it doesn't totally "wow" you, at least you didn't break the bank. I spent almost $70 for Mospeada when that set first came out. After re-watching it recently with my wife, I don't regret the purchase one bit. It may not be the most brilliant series ever, but there's a certain charm and magic to that show that rarely exists in anime today. Be warned, though--once you see it, you'll be amazed how quick you start firing off preorders for the upcoming Ride Armor toys. :lol:

Actually, you've just inspired me to pick up a few extra copies for friends (for birthday/future x-mas gifts and whatnot), as that price can't be beat!

What did your wife think of it? My wife likes it and she gets mad when I watch it without her. :D

Ha! That pretty much sums it up. She ranks Mospeada up there with her favorite anime of all time (alongside Kiki's Delivery Service and SDF Macross). Considering she's incredibly picky when it comes to anime, that's quite high praise. Funny thing is, she generally rolls her eyes at mecha shows (and tends to get bored during combat scenes), but the characters are what draws her in (same as Macross). I actually catch her humming Yellow's songs from time to time. :D

DJ LK, I'm having trouble finding them on that site (thanks btw, never knew about them). Can you shoot me a link?

super dimension calvary southern cross

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/ani...177/series.html

genisis climber mospeada is listed under its japanese name, kikou soseiki mospeada

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/ani...370/series.html

and from the creators of macross and southern cross, the third part in the trilogy (unrelated trilogy), super dimension century orguss (harmony gold decided to use mospeada as the third part of the story instead of orguss)

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/ani...039/series.html

super dimension century orguss 02

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/ani...326/series.html

from the makers of mospeada, megazone 23 (part 1)

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/ani...729/series.html

i think this is the megazone 23 (part 2 & 3) that i dl'ed (it's aight, part 1 is the best ova). the hard drive that it is on is out of service right now

http://www.mininova.org/tor/726422

a-e premium anime

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/premium/anime

a-e members forum section for more anime dl (like license stuff that they can't keep on their main servers so members ul it)

http://www.anime-eden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

a-e members post their websites with more dl's

http://www.anime-eden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

...or you could spend 25 measly bucks and support the official region 1 release! :rolleyes:

what we need is a netflix clone for subbed anime (the anime selection at blockbuster suxs. i don't have netflix so i have no comment on their subbed anime selection). not everybody is brave enough to order dvd's that they haven't seen before. i ordered 3 dvd's from yesasia.com and they gave me a free dvd. i liked 2 out of the 3 dvd's that i bought, the third one is ok imho. the free dvd is actually good, i thought that it was goin' to sux since it was a "free dvd".

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

not everybody is brave enough to order dvd's that they haven't seen before

While that may be true in general, I think most people on these boards have seen more of Southern Cross and Mospeada than many other animes out there. Also, I thought this board got all agro on people for posting download sites to licensed material? LOL, these probably don't count because of HG involvement though!

Edited by jenius

While that may be true in general, I think most people on these boards have seen more of Southern Cross and Mospeada than many other animes out there. Also, I thought this board got all agro on people for posting download sites to licensed material? LOL, these probably don't count because of HG involvement though!

yea, that's why i didn't give out a direct link at first. i can always edit my post and pm him those links instead if everybody wants me to remove them.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought both last night since it was such a good deal. I also bought the rest of the *cough* Robotech *cough* legacy dvds (10-14) to complete my collection and the Protoculture Collection set to get the remastered version. Looks like some people jumped on Mospeada too, there were quite a bit more "in stock" last night. :lol:

yea, that's why i didn't give out a direct link at first. i can always edit my post and pm him those links instead if everybody wants me to remove them.

Thanks for the links. I went ahead and bought the dvds anyway but I wanted to check them out sooner. That site is very interesting.

You call that expensive - I used to have to pay thirty pounds - thats pounds! - per single volume of Bubblegum Crisis on VHS! And I had to cycle to Wales [1] on my Dads old unicycle to collect it! Then I had to find two pine cones to wind the tape around so that I could watch it...

:p

[1] Not actually part of England, despite what the translators of Negima might tell you... :)

You kids are so spoiled today. Back in my day, you had to spend $25-$30 for a 2 episode tape of a show that you weren't sure if you'd like or not. 25 episodes for $25 is an absolute steal!

Ha ha ha .... very true. I remember paying $50 for a VHS copy of Gunbuster vol. 1 by US Renditions back in my youth ....

Heh, you got hosed. I spent $35 for it in 1991. ^_^

And yes, to bitch about $25 for 25 episodes is the height of stupidity. Its already as cheap as it could possibly get. Sheesh.

Who was "bitching about $25"? :wacko: The whole basis of my question was not "whether the dvds are worth $25 in value" but "whether or not the dvds are worth buying to watch". Some series/dvds aren't worth watching if even they cost pennies. Considering the community feedback, it does indeed appear to be a steal. If you buy both, you get free shipping too.

Edited by msterling21

Who was "bitching about $25"? :wacko: The whole basis of my question was not "whether the dvds are worth $25 in value" but "whether or not the dvds are worth buying to watch". Some series/dvds aren't worth watching if even they cost pennies. Considering the community feedback, it does indeed appear to be a steal. If you buy both, you get free shipping too.

exactly. i don't see any "bitching about $25" either. i haven't seen mospeada since i was 8-10 years old (i watched it when it originally aired in the early-middle 80's) and i the only thing that i can remember about the show is that they had those transformin' motorcycle mechas. i know what exactly what happened in macross & sc 'cause cartoon network aired them around 97-99 (they didn't show the new generation, they skipped it and went back to the macross saga instead). i know what happens in sdf macross 'cause i dl it and i have it on dvd. i ordered animeigo but rt.com pissed me off 'cause they rejected my order and i said "fcuk them, i'll save my $35, i don't have $35 to burn on dvd's ANYWAYS" (they better still have them in stock when i do have $35 to burn).

so, w/o seein' mospeada or the japanese version of sc, all that i can do is tell somebody is to watch it before they buy it. if he is like me, than he probably can't remember what happened in rt, transformers, gi joe, ninja turtles, voltron or speed racer except for a couple of scenes (transformin' motorcycle mechas, a girl who has green blood so she can't be human and a scene where it shows a naked girl... maybe it was the same girl with green blood). shiet, i rented akira, ninja scroll and ghost in the shell numerous times before i finally bought them on dvd. but i bought my wife is gangster, shadowless sword, never to lose and she's on duty (ok, so she's on duty was my free dvd that i received) w/o havin' seen them before and i got lucky that i liked my choices (all korean import dvd's, i didn't buy a region free dvd player for "show"). sorry, but with all of the negative reviews on sc on the net, i cannot guarantee that he will like a series that "got canceled when it was runnin' in japan" (just a rumor that it was canceled, i'd have to find website again).

dude i saw this thread and went ahead and bought mospeada. i'm still on disc 4, but i'm like, wth? i don't remember it being like this? i don't regret the purchase as like others said at $30 shipped its a steal, but the series definitely didn't age well compared to macross. the first few discs were esp. slow in my opinion. oh well, it's good for the nostalgia.

dude i saw this thread and went ahead and bought mospeada. i'm still on disc 4, but i'm like, wth? i don't remember it being like this? i don't regret the purchase as like others said at $30 shipped its a steal, but the series definitely didn't age well compared to macross. the first few discs were esp. slow in my opinion. oh well, it's good for the nostalgia.

let me know if it is good. i haven't seen it since the 80's and i can't remember anything from it. the only thing that i remembered from macross in the 80's was ben's (i remember that ben said that he was goin' to come back and finish his steak but he never made it back) and roy's death (cartoon network refreshed my memory in the late 90's).

let me know if it is good. i haven't seen it since the 80's and i can't remember anything from it. the only thing that i remembered from macross in the 80's was ben's (i remember that ben said that he was goin' to come back and finish his steak but he never made it back) and roy's death (cartoon network refreshed my memory in the late 90's).

just finished the entire series last night. it's cool, just don't expect anything like macross. i would say it's above average for when it came out (1984) but it comes no where near the iconic status of macross. on the plus side, the animation stays fairly consistent throughout the series. it's not quite as good animation as macross' good episodes, but light years better than macross' bad episodes (i always wished virgin road from macross was animated better. that was such a crucial episode and yet was animated quite poorly). as others mentioned, characters are a definite strong point in this show. there's something cool about the whole band of oddball characters going on a long trek through the wilderness storyline, definite change of pace from a lot of mecha shows with an organized military. however, on the downside, there are not enough episodes that focus on the core plot, and too many episodes that focus on whatever obstacle the motley crew happen to be faced with on that episode. it is too 'episodic.' it's a darn shame too, cuz i was actually interested in the main plot. the invid are an interesting foe, and the interaction between stick and aisha is interesting, but there simply is no time devoted to this except the last 2 episodes. i was left wanting more. and a serious down side for me was mint. if you understand japanese, she is insanely annoying, i'm talkin more annoying than jar jar. and too many of the episodes end in this way:

character riding vehicle: "darn, something depressing just happened to me, and i depressed. hey, there's mah buddies. i love mah buddies. YAY!!!" (freeze frame of vehicle jumping in the air as character rides to meet his/her buddies) i mean seriously there are like 5 episodes in a row that end like this. in short, what i'm saying is this series has a lot of potential with an intriguing concept and underlying plot, but fails to achieve it's full potential because it's geared more towards younger kids than macross is. i'd say it was worth it for me cuz i only paid $30 shipped ($6 per disc), even if i never watch the series again. good for nostalgia, and way better than a lot of current anime, but there's some cheesiness, as you can expect from a series from the early 80s.

Mospeada is one of my all-time fav show, actually i like it slightly more than macross :p (oops for saying that in a macross board) :ph34r:

My fav character in Mospeada is Rey, coz he is funny and the smartest in the group. The episodes where he discovers how the invid were tracking them, the evolution experiment, and the exploration inside the invid base were some shining moments of Rey's analytical mind at work. The guy thinks hard even when he dreams LOL... and so he sees the big picture and realizes what the invid were doing. He may suck at piloting a Legioss but he's quite a fast learner considering how he never flew one before and couldn't even land it safely at first, but he was able to down a humanoid invid near the end of the series. He seems to be complete opposite of the Stick-in-the-mud. :lol:

Why i like Mospeada is also because everyone in the team gets at least one episode revealing their background and we see the character development for each of them. That makes me like the characters even more. Macross has more in-depth character development for the 3 characters of the love-triangle but it has 36 eps compared to Mospeada's 25, and many other characters of Macross were not given near as much attention as the main roles. I wished they had more episodes, and better yet, a prequel or sequel or remake, whatever - i need to get MORE of mospeada...

BTW, was there ever a licensed or subbed release of the Mospeada OVA: Love Live Alive? The OVA is very nostalgic and wraps up some loose ends but leaves me wanting for more... :(

Edited by Shun