Which toyline to focus on?

Rhapsodyred99

Hello all new to macross in general and the toys specifically. It took a custom jetfire yamato 1/48 (big Transformers Fan) to make me realize what I hav ebeen missing!

Since then I have seen the original SDF Macross and DYRl, as well as about halfway through Macross seven.

Looking at online toy companies and Ebay however I am a bit at a loss as to which Line to focus on for the Mechs I crave. I bought a 1/48 VF-1S and a 1/100 Monster from Yamato, and have learned that the 1/60 line will soon be perfect ransform from Yamato. Should I just focus on the 1/60 yamato's from now on or is there another company out there that is producing the mechs from SDF Macross and Macross 7 that are jsut as good?

I really would like a Max and Miria Valk, and a Roy Fokker VF-1S as well as Basura's (VF-19 I think?) and the Diamond force Valks.

So new I am not really sure the designations, but I think the Max and Miria are VF-1js right?

Thanks all

If you like the 1/48s get the ones you want now while you can, because other than reissues and alternate color schemes, the 1/48 line is dead.

Yamato is unifying the transformable toy line in 1/60 scale. :) So there will be the new 1/60 VF-1s (including two seaters), the 1/60 YF-19 and YF-21, the VF-0s and SV-51s, and the Q-raus.

M7 valks are only available in 1/65 scale from Bandai. They are chunky-munkys and look like crap compared to the Yamato valks. There is no VF-17 from Yamato unfortunately, which many lament (none more so than Graham).

Yamato will most likely make the Max and Miria 1J Supers in the new 1/60 line. They did so for the old line, and they did so in 1/48 scale. That couple is popular. :)

I don't know the current fate of the Mac7 license other than Bandai had it and just didn't care to make quality stuff. I do have a VF-19 red and blue and a VF-17 (Diamond Force if you are still wondering) but they just aren't all that great at all. Hopefull Bandai will get off their ass and do some justice to the license especially with the whole Macross resurgence across the board lately thanks to a new show. Get them if you want but don't expect to much out of them like you do with yamato valks.

I try not to take advise from people who use the word crap and sucks. I say do research and look at that site ANYMOON.com, he has really good reviews. Its sad to see people jump on the dissing Toynami bandwagon just to fit in, I have had them all since they came out and none of them are broke.

Edited by energon

M7 valks are only available in 1/65 scale from Bandai. They are chunky-munkys and look like crap compared to the Yamato valks.

I can't beleive you just compared those POS 1/65 to a chunky monkey :p . The only one that should be stated as a chunky is a 1/55 from Bandai. And we all know those KICK A$$ :ph34r:

Is that why not one of my second generation want to keep standing up their hips just fold over and why Scott hands are crumbling straight out of the box and there arms wont lock into the slots in fighter mode unless you have the arm stretched some see my pics I have posted. I just droped over a grand this last month buying and so far yamato or the the VF-1 like Ben Dixon and Roy Fokker, Rick Hunter are the only good ones. Stay away from Lancer, Sue Graham and Scott Bernard. Those three pretty much are stuck in fighter mode since they wont stay standing.

Edited by mriboy

I try not to take advise from people who use the word crap and sucks.

Very wise choice. This is the reason I tend to subconsciously filter out much of what I read on the internet. If someone cannot articulate their thoughts without using crude language, I don't hold their comment with much, or any weight.

*quick edit - I don't mean the above in any moralistic sense, just in that if they are not able to express themselves well, there is too much leeway for ambiguity and misunderstanding.

Edited by Hiriyu

The Bandai 1/65 scale VF-19 Fire Valk (Basara's Valk) and the VF-19S (Emerald Force - Docker's Valk) are extremely badly proportioned and have limited articulation.

However, I quite like the Bandai VF-17S and VF-17D Stealth Valkyrie toys. While the proportions are a little chuncky, they are extremely durable toys and have a reasonable amount of articulation (espcially if you modify the knees). They also have a surprising amount of detail, with nearly every panel line faithfully copied from the lineart. The only area really lacking in detail is the terrible landing gear, which are little more than fold down plastic tabs. Even after all these years, they are still among my favorite Macross toys.

Can't wait to see what Bandai or Yamato do with the VF-171.

Graham

I try not to take advise from people who use the word crap and sucks. I say do research and look at that site ANYMOON.com, he has really good reviews. Its sad to see people jump on the dissing Toynami bandwagon just to fit in, I have had them all since they came out and none of them are broke.

Just because a toy doesn't break doesn't make it a good toy. I seriously hate the fact that people with mediocre taste think that hating CRAPPY toys is just jumping on the bandwagon. How about the fact that I spent good money on those SUCKY things? That site you mentioned passes almost every toy and at the end tells you to make up your own mind, which means you have to buy it and see for yourself anyway. What kind of review is that? Just because you hate a couple of words doesn't invalidate their meaning, especially when it fits the subject soooo well.

I say buy a couple of 1/48s for sure. Get the ones you can buy for the least amount of money just to have some and if you have to have a complete line then of course go with the 1/60s. I usually (now) wait for the rereleases to make sure the QC is better. If everyone did that then no one would get the first releases and Yamato would totally fail. Lucky for me, everyone is an eager beaver about these things.

Its sad to see people jump on the dissing Toynami bandwagon just to fit in, I have had them all since they came out and none of them are broke.

In my opinion, the Yamato 1/48 scale VF-1s(meaning plural) are the ultimate in accurate sculpt and elegance. Compared to the Toynami's the Yamatos are far superior, at very least in looks. I find the Toynami MPCs to resemble some sort of mutant child of the old Bandai and Taktatoku Valks from the 1980s (the Chunky Monkeys - that are really cool for what they are) and the perfect sculpt of the gorgeous Yamato 1/48s. They look decent in my opinion but I prefer the 1/48 Yamatos (even the 1/60 - first versions) and the Chunky Monkeys from the 1980s to the Toynami MPCs. I personally am focusing on the Yamato macross toyline. (I wonder if it is because of that advertisement staring at me every day from the top right of my screen?J/K)

Even though I don't really collect anyother scales besides the Bandai 1/55 Chunky Monkeys....I have owned some 1/60's and 1/48's in the past. I like the 1/48's quite a bit and the VF-0's in the 1/60 scale were very nice as well. But for some reason the monkey holds a special place in my heart :ph34r:

Just because a toy doesn't break doesn't make it a good toy. I seriously hate the fact that people with mediocre taste think that hating CRAPPY toys is just jumping on the bandwagon. How about the fact that I spent good money on those SUCKY things? That site you mentioned passes almost every toy and at the end tells you to make up your own mind, which means you have to buy it and see for yourself anyway. What kind of review is that? Just because you hate a couple of words doesn't invalidate their meaning, especially when it fits the subject soooo well.

I say buy a couple of 1/48s for sure. Get the ones you can buy for the least amount of money just to have some and if you have to have a complete line then of course go with the 1/60s. I usually (now) wait for the rereleases to make sure the QC is better. If everyone did that then no one would get the first releases and Yamato would totally fail. Lucky for me, everyone is an eager beaver about these things.

Mediocre taste,I think not. I have some very high end collectibles but I am an adult who knows how to take care of things and have never had a toy of ANYKIND break. On any message board there are a group of people who bash a certain thing because its either to fit in or they are just going on peoples opinion. I have at least one valk from every company and they ALL have flaws but I don’t go bashing any of them because when it comes down to it, they are toys made of plastic by TOY COMPANIES not prop replicas.

I think he should study up on the items and honestly disregard any opinions like “it sucks”, ”crappy”, “the other company” and go with profession, non bias reviews full with pics, pros and cons. Yes we all know Yamato is the better overall company but they also have many flaws just like Toynami and Bandai. I dont like when people force their opinion on people looking for advise instead of supplying them with facts. Its like the Mcfarlane VS NEAC, both give great toys so why bitch about one if you dont like the other?

If you want picks of whats wrong with Scott's hands click on the link thats sticky "what wrong with my toy " and go to last page and see for yourself. Like i said my Ben and Roy Toynami are great go fo it if you want. I just had problems with the 2nd generation ones. I realy like my yamatos also.

Edited by mriboy

Mediocre taste,I think not. I have some very high end collectibles but I am an adult who knows how to take care of things and have never had a toy of ANYKIND break. On any message board there are a group of people who bash a certain thing because its either to fit in or they are just going on peoples opinion. I have at least one valk from every company and they ALL have flaws but I don’t go bashing any of them because when it comes down to it, they are toys made of plastic by TOY COMPANIES not prop replicas.

I think he should study up on the items and honestly disregard any opinions like “it sucks”, ”crappy”, “the other company” and go with profession, non bias reviews full with pics, pros and cons. Yes we all know Yamato is the better overall company but they also have many flaws just like Toynami and Bandai. I dont like when people force their opinion on people looking for advise instead of supplying them with facts. Its like the Mcfarlane VS NEAC, both give great toys so why bitch about one if you dont like the other?

Yeah the guy asked for opinions. So "sucks" and "crappy" may not suit whatever vocabulary needs you may have but they are very blunt and to the point. Why disregard it? If I read a review (and not just for toys) and I saw those words... I'd freakin either turn around and run or decide to look further into the matter. Only an idiot would disregard it, because they're too snooty to take it into consideration.

But that's not the part that bothered me about your post. And it's happened before here, so you're not the first. It's the fact that you tell everyone to disregard anyone saying anything negative about toynami toys in general (I happen to like their Voltron toy) as being bandwagonesque! If that's not biased, I don't know what is. So which is it? Let's be biased your way but not mine? Maybe someone who thinks carefully as you should think twice about what you're actually saying, then I can MAYBE take it into consideration. But for now "crap" and "sucks" would suffice over someone that's hypocritical on who's views should be taken seriously.

And anyone who thinks McFarlane makes good toys can't have good taste. Maybe if you keep it in the box, but I've bought the Aliens Queen, The Matrix Robt thingamajig and a Robocop... all broke or melts in the heat. I don't know what scale you have that considers that high end, but me thinks you need a new one.

I can't beleive you just compared those POS 1/65 to a chunky monkey :p . The only one that should be stated as a chunky is a 1/55 from Bandai. And we all know those KICK A$$ :ph34r:

In my defense I was using it more as a descriptive, than putting it in the same group as the Original "chuny-munkies". ;) The 1/65 M7 19s are big chunky deformed things. The only good thing are the locking chest mechanisms on the 19. The only thing that they have over the Yamato 19. :(

Toynami MPC veritechs suck. It are a fact. Is not even valkyrie.

Thanks for all the opinions. And I actually do not mind words like suck and crappy, it shows a strong opinion about as particular toy and thats what I wanted. I can safely say I have had several toys I wold KINDLY have refered to as crappy :p

Anyway it seems the yamato 1/60 is the way to go for most of the valks. I have the Hikaru DYRL 1/48 and like it alot except for the wierdly small hands. I did go ahead and order a VF-17s and VF-19 fire valk from bandai for completions sake, and since Yamato isn't likely to do them in the near future.

Now, unfortunately I have to hold my horses for the new 1/60 valks from Yamato. Sigh summer seems so far away :p

In my defense I was using it more as a descriptive, than putting it in the same group as the Original "chuny-munkies". ;) The 1/65 M7 19s are big chunky deformed things. The only good thing are the locking chest mechanisms on the 19. The only thing that they have over the Yamato 19. :(

Toynami MPC veritechs suck. It are a fact. Is not even valkyrie.

LMAO....it's all good. You just know how I love the chunky :D And you are right the Toynami MPC's suck BIG TIME!!! LOL

Now that I have a game plan, are there any current 1/60 yamato's that anyone would recomend, or should I just go ahead and wait for the new ones?

thanks

I would wait for the new ones.....only cause the current ones....in order to transform them you have to detach the legs and when in battroid mode they truly do suck at standing/posing. I know most will agree to that.

The legs sometimes have trouble attaching in fighter mode. At least one of mine did. Damned slider on the intake liked to come loose and unsecure at least one of the legs.

I'd wait and see how the new 1/60s turn out. If the quality is anything like the 1/48s, you'll want to wait. ;)

you know i am an educated and articulate person but sometimes no matter how i may express myself just saying it sucks or is crap is about the best way to define something. I can go into detail as to why if asked but it is how i feel. I did enjoy my toynami veritech (i refuse to call it a valk) but that was before i realized there is better quality, before i knew about aquiring stuff from japan. Since thin i have come to realize how bad it really is and worse how bad American company sees their toy markets. Much like cartoons, American companies still view toys as child play things, it is only in recent years that we have seen a real increase in toys aimed at an older market. Look at the Transformers toys, honestly the core trans audience you need to aim for isn't kids. Kids will pick and follow any trend really, but the adults that grew up with the transformers to begin with. If they had made the toys with that in mind like companies like yamato or even bandai's S.O.C. line then we wouldn't get the crap we do when they make toys based off our favorite childhood shows and what not. All toynami did was used the same basic scheme that other companies did and slightly improved them by adding an extra joint here or there. They didn't actually try to do something different. Yamato from the get go has strived for perfection in accuracy and they continue to get better. Their first run of Mac toys were good at the time when there was nothing else in the market but since they have continue to shock and really show us what can be done and how modern engineering has changed how transforming toys work. Yes they still have their faults, and their are still some issues but at least they are trying to give us what we want. Not just re hash old ideas. As far as the Bandai Mac 7 line, we it's odvious they weren't even trying their hardest. Their models were actually better than those figures. I have them and love them because it is all that is available but if the opportunity ever arises for another company to take a crack at the Mac7 line best be sure that i would leave my current stuff in their box (as i do with my veritech) and go for the real deal. I am not asking for much other than at least try and make something worthwhile and not halfa$$ it.

I would wait for the new ones.....only cause the current ones....in order to transform them you have to detach the legs and when in battroid mode they truly do suck at standing/posing. I know most will agree to that.

i beg to differ. while the legs might be a bit loose from the get go, you can get so many more poses out of a 1/60 VF-1 as opposed to the 1/48 VF-1. don't get me wrong, i think the 1/48 is better in a lot of ways but one thing that the 1/48 definitely lacks, its poseability IMO.

i beg to differ. while the legs might be a bit loose from the get go, you can get so many more poses out of a 1/60 VF-1 as opposed to the 1/48 VF-1. don't get me wrong, i think the 1/48 is better in a lot of ways but one thing that the 1/48 definitely lacks, its poseability IMO.

When you put it that way......I do concur......kind of ^_^

Now that I have a game plan, are there any current 1/60 yamato's that anyone would recomend, or should I just go ahead and wait for the new ones?

thanks

If you mean other than the old 1/60 VF-1's, yes there is a group you need to buy.

(YF-19, VF-0S with Ghost pack, SV-51 Nora or Ivanov, YF-21 (this April or May))....

Why would anyone get the old 1/60 VF-1's with the leg swap ability instead of perfect transformation i don't know. :p

And the 1S head is a perfect sculpt.

Well, I've been collecting all kinds of Japanese robot toys since the 80s and when the 1/48 was launched, I was initially very happy. The amount of detail and gimmicks were absolutely unmatched anywhere else (and still is, barring the arrival of the new 1/60s). However, ultimately the 1/48 didn't do it for me because of the bias towards the fighter mode. I know many here feel that the 1/48 is the 'most realistic' depiction of the VF-1 design, i.e. if a fighter really could TF to a robot, this was IT. Nonetheless, there are fans like me who loved the design more for the Battroid mode than anything else, and for us, the new 1/60 line is a most welcome development. I sincerely hope Yamato applies everything they've learned about toy design and production to-date and release a truly well thought-out and un-fragile toy. This is where the future of Macross collecting is for me... and it is filled with visions of more 1/60 destroids, atmospheric boosters, optimised GBP-1S and Super/Strike armor sets. :-)

I can agree to that. I love the 1/48, but it does make concessions for the fighter. I don't dislike that aspect of it, as the "realistic" interpretation appeals to me, however I'm also digging the battroid on this new 1/60. I preferred the 1/48 battroid to the old 1/60s because they had such flat, uninteresting lines, and huge, bulbous hip joints that look worse than any swing bars and wound up getting loose and unstable very quickly.

If they do go all out on the new 1/60 VF-1 line, I can see myself getting in to it in a way I never did with the previous versions. Assuming I have the money, and the quality on the first one I get impresses me, and doesn't leave me feeling flat like the VF-0's floppy joints and inability to hold its own gunpod.

I'm still wary about price, though. If they're a hundred bucks a pop, without FAST packs, I might get a couple now and then, but...well, not exactly made of money and the year is already looking a bit bleak on the financial front.