Street Fighter 4

Holy crap! I hope it's better than SFIII, while the cel animation was beautiful, I felt the gameplay was somewhat lacking with the whole choose your super move thing. I prefer to have a choice out of two or three, more is even better. :) And I HATED, emphasis on "hate", the music in SFIII.

While I love 2D fighting games, if they can do a 3d one right, I won't mind. I just couldn't play KOF Maximum Impact, I couldn't bring myself to do it, it just looked so wrong.

This trailer was awesome. Much better than the crap that was Street Fighter Generations.

[homer simpson]OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!![/homer simpson]

Good gawd i hope the gameplay is like SFA3... that would be rocking - most well rounded i reckon.

Glad to see Ken made it!! SHINRYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-KEN!!!!!!

OMFG! It's been tooooo long.

OK, girly fit/rant over.

Considering that UDON is completely redoing all the sprites for Capcom's Super Street Fighter II Turbo remake, and has been very hush hush recently on capcom projects, I would not be surprised if SFIV is 2D with sprites by Udon.

That would be cool, I met Omar Dogun of Udon, he rocks... got an original sketch from him of Sakura in a UN Spacy Uniform (since he also did Robotech comics I thought it would be neat)...

I want Sakura to come back, (the storyline is she went to college after Alpha but she could be graduated now, and come back... she'd need a new outfit though).

Considering that UDON is completely redoing all the sprites for Capcom's Super Street Fighter II Turbo remake, and has been very hush hush recently on capcom projects, I would not be surprised if SFIV is 2D with sprites by Udon.

I didn't know UDON was doing the remake? Cool!

But what are the original CAPCOM crew like AKIMAN and co doing?

What's this "2D is dead" thing? Just look at the Guilty Gear series...

I vividly recall that 2D fighters were supposed to dwindle with the advent of 3d fighters, and this little hoopla started in the mid 90s. As of 2007, the only 3D fighter that's still remembered and active is the Soul Calibur series.

Well, 2D is still there (thankfully) with the still very tight gameplay. Anyways, lots of titles come and go (2D as well as 3D) but Street Fighter's always been there. But I didn't play as much SFIII, but spent tremendous amounts of time on SFA2 & SFA3... but still loved the differences in play between the Alpha2/3 and SFIII games.

Edited by Warmaker

2D or nothing, the continuing popularity of Guilty Gear & the like should hopefully prove such to Capcom. Especially now that the technology exists to have super fluid animation. SFIII was awesome enough, but I'd love to see the envelope pushed further. Hell, I'd love to see Ryu with an even more evolved super than the Shin Sho-Ryu-Ken, which is the move that finally won me over from the Ken side of the hadu.

I just hope all CG is strictly for the intro, any news on when screens are supposed to pop up?

I've preferred the KOF series over SF, but my interest in it has been dwindling more and more as it progresses. Ah the golden age of 96, 97, and 98. I did prefer the Capcom animation though when they did Capcom vs. SNK, even if I hated them neutering the SNK characters.

I've always specialized in Ken, so seeing him make a come back is welcome. :) I really hope Sakura is in it, I absolutely loved playing as her. Cammy would be welcome too, pleasant to look at and very fun to play with.

If it looks anywhere near as nice as Guilty Gear I'll be a happy camper. Man, I really hope they implement running.

Uh hello?? Tekken is still very much in the game with Tekken 5 being huge in 05, and Tekken 6 coming out soon. Also i remember the dreadful Street Fighter EX series. Street Fighter just doesn't translate well into a 3D realm. How many 3D games do you know can successfully pull of fireballs, spinkicks, and all the other stuff? They can't plus if it 3D they will be trying to make the camera move around during those moves which throws off orientation of the fight. The Dragon Ball Z games have been somewhat close to a decent rendition in 3D but the combo system lack because of it. It needs to remain 2D, seeing as how Guilty Gear is successful and so is King Of Fighters. And let's not forget the huge popularity of Capcom vs Marvel 2, i still play that game to this day.

DOA is still active in 3D, but Sul Caliber etc is the only good 3D fighter. That said i wouldnt mind if this was. A good ganme is a good game, so however they pull that off Ill play it.

DOA is a joke. The 3-D KOF series plays better..Soul Calibur is still good and Tekken is king of the 3D fighters.

If Capcom wants to make a big impact with Street Fighter IV, it will be 3-D. And if its 2-D, thats fine. I still like 2-D fighters. Guilty Gear series is still fun even though it needs a true sequel.

Yes Tekken is the king of 3D fighters. It makes the most sense and has always given me the most enjoyment when i systematically tear people apart.

definitely, i love it when new people play and just "don't get it", the game is so incredibly technical (and the TIMING!!!) and that's what I (and i'm sure you can agree) love about it.

Before you guys get too excited just remember that Capcom has lost most of their old 2D programmers. Most of the talented staff that gave us Street Fighter II, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and SF III 3rd Strike are long gone. The only ones left gave us...Capcom Fighting Jam :(

But I will say that I'll be looking forward to seeing sprites done by Udon. By all accounts Capcom is very pleased with Udon's work and I'm pretty certain they'll be involved with SF IV's art. I also have to give props to Capcom for sticking with the "IV" numbering system instead of calling it something like SF: A New Beginning. I'm just worried this game will have beautiful 2D Udon sprites with the gameplay of Mortal Kombat 1. :huh:

definitely, i love it when new people play and just "don't get it", the game is so incredibly technical (and the TIMING!!!) and that's what I (and i'm sure you can agree) love about it.

Oh yeah, patience and timing. And no retarded auto counter for everything like DOA, their are counters in Tekken but you have to know what you are doing before you do them. And its way more fluid as far as controls go than Soul Caliber which is funny because they are both done by the same company.

Oh yeah, patience and timing. And no retarded auto counter for everything like DOA, their are counters in Tekken but you have to know what you are doing before you do them. And its way more fluid as far as controls go than Soul Caliber which is funny because they are both done by the same company.

Soul Caliber is a dumbed down version of Tekken IMO. They purposely made it so that anyone can play it, and button mashing is still an issue with this game (making the rookie feel good). That's what i love about Tekken, is that it has evolved to the point where button mashers aren't welcome, they keep a few characters in that you can try to kick your way to victory (hworang, eddie/Christie) but anyone with even a little bit of experience can neutralize those characters. Counters have been made more and more difficult with each new release, i remember Tekken 3 counters were so easy to pull off, then they kept making them more and more difficult to the point where your timing has to be nearly perfect (and they also made it so counters only work for certain moves).

As far as the new SF, i'm excited, i feel like a lot has been lost in the evolution of this franchise and it could really use "a new beginning".

3D fighters, and nobody mentions Virtua Fighter?

Virtua Fighter is just not a very good 3d fighter. When it first came out, it was obviously the first 3d fighter, and made huge strides in the genre, but by the time Tekken 3 came out it completely dethroned any kind of interest the Virtua Fighter franchise had buzzed.

To tell you guys the truth, what I really want to see is some new features in an already tried-and-true-but-getting-a-bit-old gameplay. Or heck, even some new form of gameplay that might redefine how fighting games, whether it's 2D or 3D, are played. Just how Street Fighter 2 redefine the genre back in the '90s.

And despite being a teaser, if they wanted to do 2D, they'd give the teaser a very edgy animated treatment. But since it's 3D(with a very painty and gritty look. I suspect the guys from the department formerly known as Clover are behind this), I guess they're gonna go that direction. Before you guys burn me, I like 2D. I still do... seriously. Guilty Gear still rocks my socks(even though that series is also making a 3D leap in Guilty Gear 2, but the guys behind it are giving it a whole new spin in terms of gameplay). But personally for Street Fighter 4, if they are planning something ambitious and so awesome, I'd rather they'd go this way. Hell, the teaser looked so damn awesome, I wouldn't mind.

As expecting the same old, same old, look at the EX series. It's your typical SF2, with the gameplay that you're used to. But it didn't break any new grounds aside from making it 3D back then. So hence why I'd like a new spin-and-shout and shock-and-awe to the SF franchise.

I still love the friendly responsiveness of SF2's controls over SNK's rigid gameplay (obviously meant for hardcore fighting game fans to master), but SNK had some titles that wouldn't make you do those crazy combos so hard that your fingers get crippled, such as Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Love that game :D.

That's my 2 cents on this.

I didn't know UDON was doing the remake? Cool!

But what are the original CAPCOM crew like AKIMAN and co doing?

I am not sure what AKIMAN and others are doing. Man this brings back memories, I remember my favorite artists from capcom, an the ones I did not favor too much. If anything, I hope they get Shinkiro to do the boxart and a lot of the game art. I imagine AKIMAN might contribute stuff, if not oversee and consult the visuals department. I do remember, that my favorite capcom artist was a girl who started there young(I think she interned at first), ended up staying with the company, and did a lot of cell shaded art for Street Fighter II Turbo.

Nice trailer, I really loved SFII back in the early 90s when it first came out. I hope the new version is actually kept simple like SFII with the button combos, the more detailed and tricky moves get the more I get turned off on fighting games. I want a game I can learn easily without having to buy a strategy guide to learn all the move button combinations.

i was a huge fan of all versions of sf2, sfa and sf3 but i must admit i am skeptical. i used to love 2d fighters and played them for over a decade but i seriously wonder if there is any innovation left in the genre. and as others have mentioned, there has been a lot of turnover at capcom since those days.

shin, the artist you are referring to i believe is nishimura kinu. her, akiman, and bengus were my favorite artists.

[homer simpson]OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!![/homer simpson]

Good gawd i hope the gameplay is like SFA3... that would be rocking - most well rounded i reckon.

Glad to see Ken made it!! SHINRYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-KEN!!!!!!

OMFG! It's been tooooo long.

OK, girly fit/rant over.

Agree! But why the hell wouldn't they include Ken? :( Ken's hell of alot cooler than Ryu. pffft! *crosses arms*

SHHOOOYYYYY!!! RYYUUUUUUU!!! KEN (echos)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree! But why the hell wouldn't they include Ken? :( Ken's hell of alot cooler than Ryu. pffft! *crosses arms*

SHHOOOYYYYY!!! RYYUUUUUUU!!! KEN (echos)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree x2! Sometimes Ken isn't given any love in the 'vs' games. I prefer Ken over Ryu any day. So much more style, speed and he's cooler! My fave incaration wold have to be his SFA2/3 and SNK VS CAPCOM II, Millenium fight version.

SHO-RYU-REPPA!!!

There's a time when Capcom was saying that only one character from previous Street Fighters would return for number 4, at this same time they also said Ken will only show up in tournaments Ryu is in, (cause you know Ken has a life unlike Ryu). So that would have preculded Ken from showing up in 4 if the stuck to that...

I don't know where it was said, a friend who was a huge capcom fanitic and could quote the storylines backwards and forwards told me... if it's not true... which might be the case, meh whatever.

I remember pissing off my friends while using Ken in the arcade for SF:Alpha. I would pull off a super right when they were in the middle of hitting me, and it would cancel out and counter their attack. I remember getting hit in the arm a lot for frustrating them. :lol: Then they would pull the cheap tactic of hitting my taunt button so they could try to hit me with a super. :p Ah, good times.

Indeed good times. I remember when back in the early years of high, my friend and i would play the old SNES SFII

to death, like, a whole weekend of miday to morning playing. lol. :lol: Ken was the first one i started with, as my friend

had dibs on Ryu (fireball whore my friend was) and only fair it was his house and SNES, so i had to choose someone else.

Ahh Ken, so glad your my fav. :p (plus Eliza is hot)

I also tried my hands at Guile, Dhalsim, Zangief and some of the other lessers, of the first console incarnation.

But i eventually narrowed my skill and favorites to this list.

Ken

DAN!!!! (hahaha he's a legend)

Sagat

Adon

Fei-Long

E Honda

Balrog

even Bison i wanted to try my hand at but only buffed bison, hate the skinny version he was incarted in sometimes. ><

and probably Dee Jay, but he's not that flash, prefer Dhalsim over him any day. Teleport moves are infuriating!

The one thing i am pissed at is that they finally did an "Evil Ken" and he's pathetic! Borrowed moves, bah.

They didn't even change his appreance, i'd love them to do a proper first animated movie version of mind controlled

Ken, ala (aerial fire balls) and a massive damage dealing special move totally reserved for Ken.

Last 2D game i bought was the PS2 SCV Snk vs Capcom, i was really looking forward to Afro evil Ken.. but no.

Other fav chars from KOF is -

Joe!! (i always pair up Ken with Joe, and DAN as well) hahhaa The all time best trio! :p

And of course Genjuro... from SS series.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie