Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

31 minutes ago, Big s said:

Saw these earlier in an email from bbts. It was a bit high in the price for the basic dude. I am glad they finally got the pointy faces. I don’t really like the snub noses in the later space marines 

Yeah, the Mark VI "Beakie" helmets are a classic from the earliest days of Warhammer 40,000.

As a stickler for detail... it might be a deal-breaker for me tho.  All the really iconic Sons of Horus art uses Mark IV and Mark V, and Mark VI was almost exclusively a loyalist thing since it was introduced by the loyalists after the Isstvan V drop site massacre and field-tested by the Raven Guard.

Never did like the Sons of Horus's sea green paintjob either.  The Luna Wolves white-on-black is so classic that even the Orks consider it synonymous with strength 10,000 years after the Luna Wolves wrecked their sh*t at Ullanor.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Never did like the Sons of Horus's sea green paintjob either. 

I don’t mind the color, but I’m pretty sure that joy toy will do other chapters since it will mostly be recolors and they can reuse the molds

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

I don’t mind the color, but I’m pretty sure that joy toy will do other chapters since it will mostly be recolors and they can reuse the molds

Yeah, I have no doubt that Joytoy's Horus Heresy line will expand further and will probably cover all eighteen of the Heresy-era space marine Legions when it's done.

Joytoy definitely picked a good place to start and timed the release well.  The last book of the Siege of Terra series and the overarching Horus Heresy series as a whole dropped a few weeks ago, and the XVI Legion Sons of Horus and VII Legion Imperial Fists are basically the poster-children for the entire Siege as the overall leaders of the traitor legions and loyalists respectively.

I know I'll 100% end up buying at least a few.  Ever since the main line launched, I've wanted a non-Primaris Raven Guard with the classic "beakie" helmet.  With the Heresy on the table, I can get that... and a few other possibilities from my favorite bits of the novels present themselves too.  Especially since this line includes canon characters.  The Imperial Fists line has a pre-Emperor's Champion First Captain Sigismund.

9 hours ago, Mommar said:

USAG charges less but you have to pay up front.

I guess, but they’re also running a president’s weekend sale, it takes off a little over four bucks and that brings the cost on the basic dude to under what bbts is offering before shipping.

Edited by Big s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As expected, Mr Heresy himself and Abaddon were announced. He's absolutely huge in primarch sized terminator armor and that face sculpt and paint work is probably one of their best yet. Not so impressed with Abaddon. I prefer his current 40k version. 

2mp9zoesj2pc1.webp.338ba1a3d72101e4ab7d0af396a65214.webpazozu4lsj2pc1.webp.075330ce058607a6c6122abb6147e7c4.webpr9807w62g2pc1.webp.c85425a3dc16bb800a3c650215d91f54.webpdbm2yjrsj2pc1.webp.d3eedde186aca58cfd8a5e1b3a1568a2.webpezcay672g2pc1.webp.5b25e9dcff371b5b3d482e95e6c8c1dd.webp

41 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

As expected, Mr Heresy himself and Abaddon were announced. He's absolutely huge in primarch sized terminator armor and that face sculpt and paint work is probably one of their best yet. Not so impressed with Abaddon. I prefer his current 40k version. 

azozu4lsj2pc1.webp.075330ce058607a6c6122abb6147e7c4.webp

So.. I have to assume the little stand base is just a standard accessory that they already produced?

Because seriously, his feet are almost as big as the platform. :lol: 

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

r9807w62g2pc1.webp.c85425a3dc16bb800a3c650215d91f54.webp

Well, Joytoy didn't make me wait long at all did they? 😁

Fantastic rendition of Heresy-era Horus Lupercal.  I wonder if they'll do a pre-Heresy version in Luna Wolves colors too?  It'll sure as hell open my wallet if they do.

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

ezcay672g2pc1.webp.5b25e9dcff371b5b3d482e95e6c8c1dd.webp

Now THIS gets me excited.

Primarchs aside, First Captain Ezekyle Abaddon was pretty much the MVP of the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy... before also going on to be MVP of the Long War.  It was a bit of a shame that he was Too Awesome To Use for much of the Horus Heresy novel series, only really getting to shine in flashbacks to the Ullanor campaign and in the Siege of Terra itself.  Even with his limited appearances, he's definitely way more interesting in the Heresy era than the depressed jobber he was in the Black Legion series or as the Chaos Warmaster gargling generic threats.

I'll be very excited to pair him up with Imperial Fists Captain Sigismund and a Garviel Loken if they roll one of those out.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Fantastic rendition of Heresy-era Horus Lupercal.  I wonder if they'll do a pre-Heresy version in Luna Wolves colors too?  It'll sure as hell open my wallet if they do.

That would be great, but I don't think GW has ever came out with minis for the pre-Ullanor time and Joytoy only seems to make stuff that has been out officially as miniatures.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

46 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

That would be great, but I don't think GW has ever came out with minis for the pre-Ullanor time and Joytoy only seems to make stuff that has been out officially as miniatures.

The Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV armors used by most of the Horus Heresy miniatures are the same armor used during the Great Crusade.

The only real difference would be the paintjob and unit markings in most cases... the exception being the XVI Legion Sons of Horus, who changed paintjob AND heraldry after the Triumph at Ullanor.  Swap out the green for white and the Eye of Terra for the Moon Wolf and you're there.

The only miniatures that aren't pre-Heresy appropriate are those using Mark V and Mark VI armor, the ones with the big studs embedded in the pauldrons and greaves (Mark V) and the iconic "beakie" (Mark VI).  Mark V was a catch-all for post-Istvaan improvements that literaly just bolted extra layers of armor to the plates, while Mark VI was developed before the Heresy but first put into use during it by the Raven Guard who helped develop it.

The Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV armors used by most of the Horus Heresy miniatures are the same armor used during the Great Crusade.

The only real difference would be the paintjob and unit markings in most cases... the exception being the XVI Legion Sons of Horus, who changed paintjob AND heraldry after the Triumph at Ullanor.  Swap out the green for white and the Eye of Terra for the Moon Wolf and you're there.

The only miniatures that aren't pre-Heresy appropriate are those using Mark V and Mark VI armor, the ones with the big studs embedded in the pauldrons and greaves (Mark V) and the iconic "beakie" (Mark VI).  Mark V was a catch-all for post-Istvaan improvements that literaly just bolted extra layers of armor to the plates, while Mark VI was developed before the Heresy but first put into use during it by the Raven Guard who helped develop it.

Yeah, I know that the armors are the same and it's basically just a different paint job. I'm just saying that Joytoy hasn't really put out anything that GW hasn't officially put something out for themselves, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for Luna Wolves figures from Joytoy even though that would be nice if that happened. I like the Luna Wolves color scheme more than the Sons of Horus one.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Joytoy never makes you wait too long, but they do make you question how much you can afford.

3 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Joytoy never makes you wait too long, but they do make you question how much you can afford.

That's for sure. They pump out these things non-stop and it never seems to be 1 at a time. it's like "here's a whole bunch of things! Pre-order them now!"

I never planned on getting much, mostly just the primarchs, but that was a mistake. The primarchs were just the gateway drug.

Soon, I ended up buying a redemptor dreadnought, Morvenn Vahl, Kaldor Draigo, Voldus, Garran Crowe, Lazarus, a sister of battle just for scale, a techmarine, a Custodes shield captain, some aggressors, inceptors, and a couple other primaris captains... with Allarus terminators and a Deathwing terminator on the way. All within the past month...

To make it worse, I can't help stop myself from weathering and touching up the paint jobs. Like the flat gold on Dorn and Roboute's armor just makes it look so toy-like despite them doing a great job on the Custodes or stuff like fixing Roboute's pale pasty face.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Now THIS gets me excited.

Primarchs aside, First Captain Ezekyle Abaddon was pretty much the MVP of the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy... before also going on to be MVP of the Long War.  It was a bit of a shame that he was Too Awesome To Use for much of the Horus Heresy novel series, only really getting to shine in flashbacks to the Ullanor campaign and in the Siege of Terra itself.  Even with his limited appearances, he's definitely way more interesting in the Heresy era than the depressed jobber he was in the Black Legion series or as the Chaos Warmaster gargling generic threats.

I'll be very excited to pair him up with Imperial Fists Captain Sigismund and a Garviel Loken if they roll one of those out.

Preorders for JoyToy Sigismund are already up: https://www.bombusbee.net/joytoy-jt9237-first-captain-of-the-imperial-fists-p6954.html

IMG_0488.webp.579db208cfe47fee2537248af908d917.webp

14 hours ago, Scyla said:

Nice. 

It's hard not to feel bad for Sigismund in the Horus Heresy novels... or respect him for being one of the few people who made Abaddon the Despoiler sweat post-Heresy.

Definitely a must have if I'm getting an Abaddon.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:03 PM, MacrossJunkie said:

As expected, Mr Heresy himself and Abaddon were announced. He's absolutely huge in primarch sized terminator armor and that face sculpt and paint work is probably one of their best yet. Not so impressed with Abaddon. I prefer his current 40k version. dbm2yjrsj2pc1.webp.d3eedde186aca58cfd8a5e1b3a1568a2.webp

Okay, but where is my sexy vampire man?

2 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

Okay, but where is my sexy vampire man?

That's the whole IX Legion, you're gonna have to be more specific. 😛 :rofl:

On 3/20/2024 at 1:19 AM, MacrossJunkie said:

Sanguinius, Magnus, and Russ are supposedly coming sometime this year, so you may get your wish.

Magnus the Red will be where we see exactly how committed Joytoy is to the bit.

If they're really committed to their craft, he'll come with three exchangeable heads: one with a single central eye like a classical cyclops and two normal faces that have either a big scar over a missing eye or no scar but only one eye.  All three are treated as equally valid appearances for him in the books and the tabletop game, thanks to YMMV psyker nonsense.

If they're really really committed to the bit... Ferrus Manus will have a detachable head.

I can tell TTS has ruined me, because Dorn just doesn't feel right without the mutton chops now.

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Wasn't a fan of Dorn's hair or the fact that he never came with a helmet. I ordered a 3rd party helmet which arrived today. Detailed it up a bit and I think it looks pretty good.

Without:

53607585518_dea9636073_h.jpg

With:

53615787199_4d54f077a4_k.jpg

That looks really cool , nice job 👍🏼 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:55 PM, MacrossJunkie said:

Soon, I ended up buying a redemptor dreadnought, Morvenn Vahl, Kaldor Draigo, Voldus, Garran Crowe, Lazarus, a sister of battle just for scale, a techmarine, a Custodes shield captain, some aggressors, inceptors, and a couple other primaris captains... with Allarus terminators and a Deathwing terminator on the way. All within the past month...

To make it worse, I can't help stop myself from weathering and touching up the paint jobs.

Lol. That sounds about right for me when i started collecting 40k miniatures :lol: It's taken me some time and some discipline to whittle down my collection to something that is only slightly out of control.. -_- 

With this product line, I'm all about Commander Shadow Sun of the Tau. But I would really prefer Commander Farsight. 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

That looks really cool , nice job 👍🏼 

Lol. That sounds about right for me when i started collecting 40k miniatures :lol: It's taken me some time and some discipline to whittle down my collection to something that is only slightly out of control.. -_- 

With this product line, I'm all about Commander Shadow Sun of the Tau. But I would really prefer Commander Farsight. 

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind seeing some of their larger battlesuits like the Broadside with the giant shoulder mounted heavy rail guns.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Magnus the Red will be where we see exactly how committed Joytoy is to the bit.

If they're really committed to their craft, he'll come with three exchangeable heads: one with a single central eye like a classical cyclops and two normal faces that have either a big scar over a missing eye or no scar but only one eye.  All three are treated as equally valid appearances for him in the books and the tabletop game, thanks to YMMV psyker nonsense.

I have a feeling they'll be doing the HH version of Magnus rather than the 40k daemon primarch version so it will likely be based off of this:

99560102260_MagnustheRed02.jpg?fm=webp&w

If they're really really committed to the bit... Ferrus Manus will have a detachable head.

Would be funny if the head was a surprise accessory for the Horus figure.

I can tell TTS has ruined me, because Dorn just doesn't feel right without the mutton chops now.

If only GW would allow them to make Kitten. 

Custodes_Kitten_without_armour_updated_BEST.webp.dc39dcde61c028ae8767b227fceda13c.webp

29 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I have a feeling they'll be doing the HH version of Magnus rather than the 40k daemon primarch version so it will likely be based off of this:

99560102260_MagnustheRed02.jpg?fm=webp&w

Would be funny if the head was a surprise accessory for the Horus figure.

The thing about that, is that Magnus having at least three different canonical appearances is from the Horus Heresy before he became a daemon primarch.

Both the tabletop game and the novels describe Magnus having an inconstant physical appearance because of his incredible psychic power. It's a bit of an in joke on the part of the writers referencing his inconsistent depiction in old material.

So they wrote him as one of those beings like the emperor who has a subjective physical appearance. Different people see different things when they look at him even if they're all looking at the same time. He also has a degree of conscious and unconscious control of his appearance so sometimes even the same person will see different things moment to moment as his mood changes. The one thing he can't change following his bargain with Tzeentch pre-Heresy is that he's only got one eye and cycles through all the different descriptions of his face from older media: having one huge eye in the center of his head like a classic Cyclops, having once had two eyes with one covered by a scar, or having one normal eye and then just smooth skin over where the other should have been like an eye had never been there. It only got worse once he became a daemon primarch. (It's also why in TTS when the emperor jokes about Magnus being shorter than his brothers, he counters by saying that that's entirely his choice... he uses his powers to make himself taller or shorter at will a bunch of times in the novels.)

In honor of that in joke, they gave his newer miniatures multiple heads reflecting all three major variations. I'm wondering if they'll reflect that same decision in the Joytoy figure.

24 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The thing about that, is that Magnus having at least three different canonical appearances is from the Horus Heresy before he became a daemon primarch.

Both the tabletop game and the novels describe Magnus having an inconstant physical appearance because of his incredible psychic power. It's a bit of an in joke on the part of the writers referencing his inconsistent depiction in old material.

So they wrote him as one of those beings like the emperor who has a subjective physical appearance. Different people see different things when they look at him even if they're all looking at the same time. He also has a degree of conscious and unconscious control of his appearance so sometimes even the same person will see different things moment to moment as his mood changes. The one thing he can't change following his bargain with Tzeentch pre-Heresy is that he's only got one eye and cycles through all the different descriptions of his face from older media: having one huge eye in the center of his head like a classic Cyclops, having once had two eyes with one covered by a scar, or having one normal eye and then just smooth skin over where the other should have been like an eye had never been there. It only got worse once he became a daemon primarch. (It's also why in TTS when the emperor jokes about Magnus being shorter than his brothers, he counters by saying that that's entirely his choice... he uses his powers to make himself taller or shorter at will a bunch of times in the novels.)

In honor of that in joke, they gave his newer miniatures multiple heads reflecting all three major variations. I'm wondering if they'll reflect that same decision in the Joytoy figure.

If the miniature came with variant heads, then the JoyToy version would likely include them as well, just as the Lion figure came with the old man Lion head, the hooded head, the hooded helmet head, and the full winged helmet along with the two Watchers. So far, they appear to be faithful to what the miniatures have included as options/accessories.

In a recent Q&A with JoyToy, they basically stated that they can't come up with stuff on their own and all the stuff they release will be based on GW's official original designs (i.e. their miniatures).

@Seto Kaiba: what @MacrossJunkie said. For the release of the Lion JoyToy wasn’t able/wasn‘t allowed to sculpt the Arma Luminis pistol so he only comes with the gun in the holster as it appeared on the mini.

I sometimes see that they add different items than what the mini the toy is based on had. But I assume this is only the case were an official model from GW exists.

So I assume a Demon Primarch Magnus will come with all the heads the mini had (maybe even cast of armor) while the Horus Heresy one will only have the one head depicted above.

8 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

If the miniature came with variant heads, then the JoyToy version would likely include them as well, just as the Lion figure came with the old man Lion head, the hooded head, the hooded helmet head, and the full winged helmet along with the two Watchers. So far, they appear to be faithful to what the miniatures have included as options/accessories.

Yeah their attention to detail is definitely excellent on that front. It'll be worth seeing what they come up with for Magnus and a few of the others that are known to have some weird options and unusual equipment.

8 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

In a recent Q&A with JoyToy, they basically stated that they can't come up with stuff on their own and all the stuff they release will be based on GW's official original designs (i.e. their miniatures).

Yeah, that's pretty much expected. Games Workshop doesn't often let licensees come up with original takes on their lore. Relic were, I think, one of the very few to actually be given permission to do that... and from that we got the bloody magpies.

Though have they clarified if they're only referencing the miniatures or are they also using the official art from the rule books and the novels?

Yeah, that's pretty much expected. Games Workshop doesn't often let licensees come up with original takes on their lore. Relic were, I think, one of the very few to actually be given permission to do that... and from that we got the bloody magpies.

Though have they clarified if they're only referencing the miniatures or are they also using the official art from the rule books and the novels?

Unclear, but to my knowledge, they've so far only based them on the minis. For any JT Warhammer figure I pick, I can find a specific corresponding mini for.

They were fairly reticent on details or specifics of their contract with GW, but that's to be expected.

4 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Unclear, but to my knowledge, they've so far only based them on the minis. For any JT Warhammer figure I pick, I can find a specific corresponding mini for.

They were fairly reticent on details or specifics of their contract with GW, but that's to be expected.

There's a lot of cross-pollination there between the miniatures and the art that's been done for the game books and novels, which is why I was curious.

Thus far, they seem to be putting quite a lot of love and attention to detail into all of the figures they're making.  It's really nice to see them putting so much effort into delivering a faithful representation of the designs the Heresy artists came up with.

38 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There's a lot of cross-pollination there between the miniatures and the art that's been done for the game books and novels, which is why I was curious.

Thus far, they seem to be putting quite a lot of love and attention to detail into all of the figures they're making.  It's really nice to see them putting so much effort into delivering a faithful representation of the designs the Heresy artists came up with.

There is truth to this regarding cross pollination with the art. For example, the face of Guilliman. The miniature's face looks like this:

99120101177_TriumvirateofthePrimarch02.j

But the figure's face looks like this:

Guillimanface.JPG.94098febff4f0c738983593085556c5a.JPG

Which is more in line with illustrations and the 10th edition trailer

10thedguillimanface.JPG.354ddae85fba44f9be7952d919f2f317.JPG

If it were simply a scaled up version of the mini, it wouldn't look like that. So it seems there is at least some leeway for interpretation as the miniature simply scaled up would not look very good and they had to use other art references to make the figure look good. Same with the Lion. The mini's face wasn't as bad, but you can clearly see that they used illustrations like from the book cover for The Lion: Son of the Forest as their reference for the figure's face sculpt.