The Sky Crawlers

wolfx

Too bad the teaser doesn't show anything except the cloudscape in a slow zoom. Still, Oshii? Production I.G.? Alternate history? Dogfighting? I like what I hear so far.

Mamori Oshii sucks donkey balls. All his films are pretentious and boooooooring. They always seem like they're playing in half the speed so we can be in awe of the amazing animation. :rolleyes: I rather have an IV dripping with ether than watch his so called films. Even the title sounds slow...

Mamori Oshii sucks donkey balls. All his films are pretentious and boooooooring. They always seem like they're playing in half the speed so we can be in awe of the amazing animation. :rolleyes: I rather have an IV dripping with ether than watch his so called films. Even the title sounds slow...

I watched his Live Action movie Keberos Panzer Cops: Stray Dogs. Holy hell that put me to sleep.

I've read somewhere that this is the first Oshii movie that he didn't write the script by himself.

I wonder how this is going to turn out...

Edited by konimon

• 7 months later...

I wish Oshii would just stick to writing his essays and stuff because I'm sure he has important things to say but I hate the way he (mis)uses the animation medium by hardly having any actual "animation" in them, in order to say them. One of his films is called "Talking Heads" -- well, they should ALL be called that, because he is the ruling king of overly long-winded motion-less dialogue scenes.

As much as I enjoyed Patlabor 1, I'll never get back the time I spent watching his last movie, "Tachiguishi-Retsuden". Even the presence of Shoji Kawamori playing a curry expert (!) couldn't save me from indescribable boredom, the likes of which I wouldn't wish on Satan's dog.

Heaven forbid I actually see this thing. By the time the movie ends I would probably end up looking like Oshii himself.

To paraphrase Michael Moore: "Yawn to you, Mr. Oshii, yawn to you".

I wish Oshii would just stick to writing his essays and stuff because I'm sure he has important things to say but I hate the way he (mis)uses the animation medium by hardly having any actual "animation" in them, in order to say them. One of his films is called "Talking Heads" -- well, they should ALL be called that, because he is the ruling king of overly long-winded motion-less dialogue scenes.

At least he had dialogue. Remember the infamous scenes in Evangelion in the lift and Kaworu's death scene. :lol:

But noted, i don't really like Oshii's abuse of the anime medium either. But Sky Crawlers looks stunning in the animation department at least and its a love story....there's really little where he can go wrong....or maybe i'm speaking too soon? :ph34r:

I'm lucky enough to have met Mamoru Oshii at a film festival a few years back. Very charistmatic nice guy, and got a lot of laughs, even through a translator. But a lot of his film underwhelm me, really hit and miss, in my opinion. Moments of poetry... and moments of yawndom.

Judging by the cockpit panel and silhouette of the aircraft in the trailer, I'd say the alternate timeline would be somewhere around late 1945 or 1946-ish. The aircraft silhouette looked like that for the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

I thought so too first. But the interior is a lot more modern than in the Shinden.

post-1730-1204351050_thumb.jpg post-1730-1204351074_thumb.jpg post-1730-1204351082_thumb.jpg post-1730-1204351423_thumb.jpg

Edited by TSP

Mamoru Oshii's hit or miss with me also.

For one, he has been a big player in some older shows that I loved, like the Patlabor series and OVAs.

On the other hand, stuff like the Ghost In The Shell movies were yawntastic to me, despite the nice animation.

So I'll wait and see from a distance on this.

• 4 weeks later...

God I'm so glad people agree with me about Oshii. Everyone acts like he's some unassailable genius.

I think he's capable of some really beautiful filmmaking, but he's also capable of boring me to sleep. He needs an editor or a producer or someone like that with a firm hand to control him. When he works with someone else who keeps him from doing things like that, the works are brilliant. See: Patlabor, Jin-Roh, et cetera. The difference between Jin-Roh (riveting) and Stray Dog (incredibly boring) is amazing.

Even so, maybe this will be one of the good ones.

Edited by Ginrai

I like Beautiful Dreamer and Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor, but I hate Dallos and Stray Dogs and some of his other works. It's definitely hit and miss.

Beautiful Dreamer and Patlabor are awesome...I thought Ghost in the Shell was good, but I couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that Manga Entertainment gave Oshii a bunch of money and said, "We want another Akira." Ihaven't seen Dallos or Stray Dogs.

I tried to watch Talking Head...but it was raw, and my Japanese simply isn't good enough to keep up. I can't imagine I'd like it much better subbed, though...

Anyway, Oshii is definitely an auteur, and like most auteurs, his output can be really inconsistent. God bless 'im when he's good, though.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Bandai will cover Sky Crawlers in their EX models line

http://www.geocities.jp/hobby_show_album/j...ka2008/0225.htm

So we have actually competition between Kotobukiya, Fine Molds and Bandai. This will be interesting.

And I love the Shinden and Focke-Wulf redesigns.