What's your favorite mobile suit?

mikeszekely

Simple... RX-178 Gundam Mk-II.

No stupid gimmicks, just clean and brawny design - excellent update on the original. This opinion was build around the fact that back when Zeta was released, the RX-78 hadn't been retconned by Katoki yet and was still the same old fuddy duddy Ohkawara original.

It was also the first DX Gundam toy I ever owned. Beautiful construction, excellent detailing and poseability.

Well as a mod to my last post I have decided there are too many cool mecha to choose from in this series. That’s probably the one thing that keeps gundam so strong, variety. It has something for everyone, silliness, utilitarianism, slick pointless designs where the only purpose is to look cool. Variable designs, massive destruction. Generally speaking I just like the mechanical design of gundam. I have only seen one series all the way through, but still love all the designs from the original MS gundam, to seed. I'm a toy and model nut, sue me ;)

Though on a side note I have to agree with Mr. March. The best mecha keep it simple and to the point. That’s probably why my favorite Japanese mecha are ground ponders like Votoms, Dougram, and macross destroids. With patlabors, Zaku 2's, and valks coming next. What makes gundam so cool is the sheer absurdity of it mixed with a modicum of plausibility.

Edited by GobotFool

Only 3 are ones that I really like:

The basic cannon fodder Zaku, that all grey GM in Gundam 0083 and the Kampfer.

For the most part I like the cannon fodder mobile units over the super powered suits with all the extras.

PS and that red Zeon one in 0080 that appear in the Zeon's first attack on the colony.

Ugh.  I hate the overly stylized mecha like the Xi Gundam, FAZZ, and Sentinel designs.  Those designs are far too busy looking, with too many unecessary segments, flanges, and protrusions.  A solid mecha design that stands the test of time will always look good based simply on the basic aesthetic essentials, like the VF-1 Valkyries of Macross, the RX-78-2 from Gundam, or the Ingrams of Patlabor.

Totally agree. The Sentinel designs were really scratch build models Frankensteined from a bunch of different, unrelated parts without much rhythm or reason except to "look cool".

Well yes, the Sentinel designs do have that problem as well. Design chaos is one of the additional reasons I don't care for many of them. But I just don't care for all the fluff :)

Though on a side note I have to agree with Mr. March. The best mecha keep it simple and to the point. That’s probably why my favorite Japanese mecha are ground ponders like Votoms, Dougram, and macross destroids. With patlabors, Zaku 2's, and valks coming next. What makes gundam so cool is the sheer absurdity of it mixed with a modicum of plausibility.

It's very interesting how much can be done with so little. Subtlety and basic form can count for much when designing a mecha.

How about we limit it to 3 or so. "Favorite," doesn't mean much if you list 15 of 'em.

If you want my just my three favorties, two off the bat would be the Gundam Mark II and the Nu Gundam. In my opinion, they are the two most elegant takes on the whole Gundam design. Every Gundam before them was too much like the robots of 70's sci-fi. Every Gundam since has been too stylized or over the top.

That'd make my third choice come from one of the alternate universe stories. So for that one, Gundam Virsago from Gundam X. It had what's cool about Epyon and Shenlong from Gundam Wing amalgamated and polished until you had a supremely cool, supremely evil Gundam.

hey Abombz!!, where did you get those pics of the High Mobility and Heavy weapons Ez-8?? you posted them on the old boards, but i don't remember where they were.

You mean these 2?

post-25-1066320055.jpg

post-25-1066320238.jpg

I got both of them from mahq.net. They are customs that showed up in the SD Gundam: Gather Beat I Wonderswam game.

Ugh. I hate the overly stylized mecha like the Xi Gundam, FAZZ, and Sentinel designs. Those designs are far too busy looking, with too many unecessary segments, flanges, and protrusions. A solid mecha design that stands the test of time will always look good based simply on the basic aesthetic essentials, like the VF-1 Valkyries of Macross, the RX-78-2 from Gundam, or the Ingrams of Patlabor.

Different strokes for different folks. I like the Xi not because of its look, but more for its story as the first and only MS to be self sufficient. It flew from Jupiter to Earth on its own.

And while I could agree with your point.... I simply have to say that while simplistic MS can be good, they have astetically pleasing, otherwise they look too ugly. <_<

Thats said.... the Quebley is my favorite MS design. It looks simplistic, has simplistic weapons, one heck of a pilot, and an overall pleasing roundness. :)

post-25-1066320681.gif

and an overall pleasing roundness. :)

Ke ke ke ke ^_^

:p

I usually like full armor stuff and things, but the Heavy Weapons Ez-8 is a little much. Looks like it'd fall over easy. Not to mention all those things hanging off would make movement in a forest next to impossible.

The High Mobility type is a little better, but seems out of place considering the story line.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

my longstanding favorite is the Zaku line, every single one from the Zaku I to the Geara doga, including the Zaku III and the Hi-zak. though my favorites are the Geara doga and the Zaku FZ from 0080.

as for gundams, i prefer the Zeta and the nu gundam. after that, its the Zeta plus C1 and the gundam MK III, with the RX-78 and the alex lagging behind.

beyond that the gyan, gouf, and kampfer are favorites, along with the shining and master gundams from G, and any incarnation of the GM. i loves the cannon fodder, leos too.

Ugh.  I hate the overly stylized mecha like the Xi Gundam, FAZZ, and Sentinel designs.  Those designs are far too busy looking, with too many unecessary segments, flanges, and protrusions.  A solid mecha design that stands the test of time will always look good based simply on the basic aesthetic essentials, like the VF-1 Valkyries of Macross, the RX-78-2 from Gundam, or the Ingrams of Patlabor.

Different strokes for different folks. I like the Xi not because of its look, but more for its story as the first and only MS to be self sufficient. It flew from Jupiter to Earth on its own.

And while I could agree with your point.... I simply have to say that while simplistic MS can be good, they have astetically pleasing, otherwise they look too ugly. <_<

Thats said.... the Quebley is my favorite MS design. It looks simplistic, has simplistic weapons, one heck of a pilot, and an overall pleasing roundness. :)

post-25-1066320681.gif

I've said it before and I'll say if again, the quebly is one funky looking mecha :blink:

CCA:

[*] Sazabi

[*] Nu

0080:

[*] Kampfer

[*] NT1 Alex

8th MS-Team:

[*] RX-79 (G)

[*] Ez-8

[*] Sniper-GM

0083:

[*] GP-01 FB

Gundam-X

[*] GX-9901

[*] Leopard

Wing/ Endless Waltz

[*] Zero (endless waltz)

[*] TallGeese III

[*] Nataku

[*] Sandrock Kai

[*] Heavy Arms Kai

[*] Serpent

G-Gundam

[*] tequila gundam !!!! ^_^

[*] sailor moon gundam nobel!!! ^_^

Edited by treatment

post-25-1066320681.gif

Fair enough. IMO, most of the over-the-top designs just look too impractical to build. So many elements of the design would hinder efficiency; even simple articulation would be problematic (without animation magic of course). Basically, a mecha that's too busy hinders my suspension of disbelief.

Personally, I have no real preference for round vs. blocky mecha designs. I know most people stick by their love of all things circular or all things square, but a good mecha design can be either...or both! Many of my favorite Valkyries are smoth and rounded yet I love some of the very blocky Gundam designs.

All around favorite - Gundam Mk II - It's the RX-78, only with muscles.

Runner-up - Hi-Nu Gundam - Mainly because I made one into a monster unit while playing G Generation Zero. If I'd had the money, I'd consider buying the B-Club 1/100 mod for the MG.

Up and coming - Providence Gundam - NT equipped Gundam Mk II on steroids.

Fair enough. IMO, most of the over-the-top designs just look too impractical to build. So many elements of the design would hinder efficiency; even simple articulation would be problematic (without animation magic of course). Basically, a mecha that's too busy hinders my suspension of disbelief

Yep... I agree. In that case, its what we call "pretty on paper, but ugly when animated" or the other way around too. I like the Xi Gundam and other over the top designs, but if I was to seem them animated, I doubt I would still like them (though, some of those over the top designs spend most of the time "floating", so articulation wouldn't really be an issue).

Just take the Ex S Gundam. Its an extremely over the top design, but when you look at if, articulation isn't really an issue because the Ex S Gundam is always floating in space. :)

Fair enough. IMO, most of the over-the-top designs just look too impractical to build. So many elements of the design would hinder efficiency; even simple articulation would be problematic (without animation magic of course). Basically, a mecha that's too busy hinders my suspension of disbelief

Yep... I agree. In that case, its what we call "pretty on paper, but ugly when animated" or the other way around too. I like the Xi Gundam and other over the top designs, but if I was to seem them animated, I doubt I would still like them (though, some of those over the top designs spend most of the time "floating", so articulation wouldn't really be an issue).

Just take the Ex S Gundam. Its an extremely over the top design, but when you look at if, articulation isn't really an issue because the Ex S Gundam is always floating in space. :)

Hehehe, then why bother with arms or legs? :) Just build a Starfury or X-Wing :)

Hehehe, then why bother with arms or legs? :) Just build a Starfury or X-Wing :)

Then it wouldn't be a Gundam show. :)

And because while the articualation might not be as critical, some might be required for versatility of a MS. :)

So I'll put up my list, but most of my fav mobile suits have been listed. So I'll try to stick up some that haven't been listed. There alot more of them, but I can't remember their names right now or have been listed.

Zeta plus

Blitz Gundam

Freedom Gundam

GM Cannon