The Dark Knight Thread

Not really cause the trailer still focuses a lot on the Joker when the story is mainly about Harvey Dent slowly becoming Two-Face

Oh so is THAT who that guy was? Well now I'm alittle worried, as his introduction was when the first Batman movie line went downhill.

Have faith in Chris Nolan and his abilities. Everything I have read from Wizard magazing, to Superherohype, and everything in between says that it is being handled well. In the film he will be Harvey Dent the entire time till the end which allows for great character build up as opposed to a quick mentioning of his accident then him running around like a raving lunitc as Two-Face. I hated that. Also if they had stayed with any kind of continuity from the first two films Two-Face would have been Billie Dee Williams seeing as how he was Harvey Dent in the first few films. Joel Shumacher just doesn't understand Batman or most things and decided to completely ruin all that was good about the Bat. I would say his films were worse than the film with Adam West in it which is bad. "Robin, hand me the Bat Shark Repellent."

I would say his films were worse than the film with Adam West in it which is bad. "Robin, hand me the Bat Shark Repellent."

The important difference is that the Adam West Batman movie was designed to be bad(ie: ludicrously campy) from the get go. "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

• 1 month later...

From all the reviews i have read they are concentrating too much of Ledger's performance. Yes it is a tragedy but who actually thought that he wasn't going to do anything short of amazing with the role? I want to hear how the film actually is. I am not too worried because the Nolan brothers, Chris as director and Jonathan as writer, are an amazing combo but still we get it Ledger is great. Now tell me more about the film itself. The only thing i have heard was Kevin Smith said the movie was epic, and that it lives up to the name Dark Knight. He mention the movie is actually long but it is the Godfather II of superhero movies. So let's see if he is right.

Edited by kanedaestes

The only thing i have heard was Kevin Smith said the movie was epic, and that it lives up to the name Dark Knight. He mention the movie is actually long but it is the Godfather II of superhero movies. So let's see if he is right.

Ok, now that gets the ol' comic nerd senses tingling! :D

Wow, wasn't expecting that to happen in Dark Knight yet, unless that's the end of it. Can't wait! One more week left! But I have to fight the pope to get to IMAX since they'll be closing off roads for 'World Youth Day'. Still baffles me why it's called that.

That was an intense flick. Get ready for a lot of WTF's, some which you will see coming. It felt a bit like watching The Departed and Die Hard at the same time. Batman's armour gadgets are both neat and ridiculous. I'm not gonna bother going on about the Joker since everyone's heard their fair share by now.

The really cool thing about the show is its explorations of human nature - utilitarianism is featured a lot; something shared in Batman Begins but more potent here. My only gripe with the movie is the long winded moral speech at the end but otherwise you're looking at one hell of a ride.

Another other interesting thing; quite a bit of cool homages to the graphic novels. One of the shots reminded me specifically of the Long Halloween. In fact, a big part of it felt like a Long Halloween which was a very nifty touch to it.

woah. That was....woah.

Rikiryou is right, its an intense film. Nolan really knows how to take a vaguly ridiculous concept (Which Batman is) and make a hardcore psycological piece out of it. It's maybe a shade on the long side, but not dramatically so. And to be fair, I watche d a double screening of Batman Begins and then this, so I may have just been Batmaned out.

2 things grated, and neither are spoilers:

- The 'Batman voice' Bale uses drives me nuts. It sounds aweful. And he talks more as Batman in this than the first, so it's more noticable.

- Maybe it was just my cinema, but at times the music was so loufd I had trouble hearing the dialogue. If no one else experiewnces this, i guess it will have been just my cinema.

Its not perfect, but its damned close let me tell ya.

Very solid, and really picks up in intensity and meaning toward the second half of the film. The beginning was a little harder for me to get into, probably because of my huge expectations and because it wasn't paced as briskly as Iron Man-- and it wasn't as easy for me to see the overall arch of the story with all the disparate plot elements, but when it pulled together about midway, the movie got really good. There was one plot point that could have ruined the movie for me before a reveal made sense of it later on (and in hindsight, fixed other things that felt "wrong" during the course of the movie as well).

I do think it could have been paced better, and would have been stronger if there was a bit more handholding in regards to where the plot was going. Because there will no doubt be comparisons-- I think Iron Man was a tighter, better executed movie, while the Dark Knight offered more substance and material that can be explored in repeated watchings at least a few more times.