Transformers Super Thread 5

Not toned down, REMOVED. It's got "leaks" from non-existent openings. I have never seen ANY dirt on an F-15, ever. Just doesn't happen. And even the filthies F-4 or F-8 in the world never got 1% as much dirt. Except the F-4's tailcone, that got filthy. But that's because F-4 engines smoke, a lot. Directly onto that area. Not the friggin speedbrake and canopy hinge.

Not toned down, REMOVED. It's got "leaks" from non-existent openings. I have never seen ANY dirt on an F-15, ever. Just doesn't happen. And even the filthies F-4 or F-8 in the world never got 1% as much dirt. Except the F-4's tailcone, that got filthy. But that's because F-4 engines smoke, a lot. Directly onto that area. Not the friggin speedbrake and canopy hinge.

Maybe he's leaking Energon! :p

i like black out and prime. but starscream = DO NOT WANT

Give it a chance and play with a friends SS if you can. The toy really grows on you over time. it is alot of fun to play with, despite being ugly as sin.

Edited by GobotFool

Agreed. Agreed 100%. If the black streaks stay (I can handle a little, chalk it up to carbon scoring from battle, but that crap stain down the back of the jet has got to go) then the only way I'll get this version is if it has structural improvements that never see a Japanese SS release. Even then I'll be bitter.

Give it a chance and play with a friends SS if you can. The toy really grows on you over time. it is alot of fun to play with, despite being ugly as sin.

Agreed. The first time I transformed it, I realized how great it was. The last seeker I had transformed was Classics Skywarp. Movie Starscream is much more complex and makes for a pleasing transformation. The classics seekers have an impressive transformation as well, but I was amazed to find that Movie Starscream's is more amazing. Over time, I began to overlook what I hated about it, like the thick undercarriage. I looked at it and realized, if Classics Starscream were the same size, the undercarriage on him wouldn't be that far off either. With that said I have also owned worse jet transformers before.

Its very fun to play with and armed to the teeth. From the top it looks great. I wish the vertical stabilizers were more accurate though.

BTW, looking at the classics seekers side by side, and by the size of the seats in both movie starscream and the classics seekers, they seem to be in similar scale in Fighter/alt mode!

However in robot mode, Movie Starscream is a giant in comparison. He seriously goes from being a medium sized fighter, to a large, imposing robot in comparison. Literally more than meets the eye, you can't get any indication of his robot mode size in package at all. The box itself is very decieving. Heck, most of the box space could be taken up had he been packaged in robot mode,

I agree that it would be best if they got rid of these streaks, but it just popped in my head that these stained areas may actually be from laser/beam/energy weapons ... the first US release of MP Prime had a little bit of this going on, but just a little bit. I think that's the answer because some of that streaking is taking place right there near the front of the air intakes and seems like a good spot he would get hit in a head-on engagement.

And David, chill out! :D If you want to take this to an extreme, Starscream is NOT an F-15 PERIOD! He is a mechanical creature from another world that externally resembles an F-15 in his one mode and his internal mechanics, what powers him (Energon not jet fuel), and his propulsion (NOT a Pratt and Whitney F100) are not the same as a real life Eagle.

Again, I think the toy would look a lot better if this "stuff" is removed or reduced and it's just given a very slight touch of weathering.

Edited by Apollo Leader

I'd like to think that engine technology which is millions of years more advanced than our own, doesn't spew smoke like a coal-fired locomotive...

Also, spewing smoke would be a dead giveaway of the whole "disguise" aspect, since F-15's don't smoke. If SS wants to smoke, he should have picked an F-4 or B-52----people'd expect it to smoke.

Aliens don't know that! :p When chip chase mentions how the one on one battle with optimus prime vs megatron reminds him of roman gladiatorial fights, none of the autobots have any idea what the hell he is refferring to. They might have just seen a generic movie with lots of smoke and thought that is what any fighter should look like and then jump to the assumption that smoke makes the disguise better.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Aliens don't know that! :p When chip chase mentions how the one on one battle with optimus prime vs megatron reminds him of roman gladiatorial fights, none of the autobots have any idea what the hell he is refferring to. They might have just seen a generic movie with lots of smoke and thought that is what any fighter should look like and then jump to the assumption that smoke makes the disguise better.

Or they were watching stunt planes with smoke generators.

But heck, the lack of pilots kills the disguise anyways. May as well go all out.

Edited by JB0

I had the opportunity to play with Starscream. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. The legs and arms hang off the bottom of the plane. The feet and head hang off the back of the plane. No robot in disguise here. The automorph is fun, however, the rest of the transformation is mostly just folding wings and fins out of the way. The robot mode just isn't interesting. It reminds me of a kite with stubby little legs and huge arms.

I picked up a Ratchet which turned out to be broken. Ratchet is better than Starscream. The vehicle mode is really solid. The transformation is interesting. Basically, you turn the truck inside out. Ratchet doesn't have the windshield and cab roof hanging off the back of the robot like many TF do. The windshield actually splits in two and ends up flush with the lower back. The cab roof ends up sandwiched in the middle of the robot. The automorph is disappointing. Flipping the feet out extends the knee portion and flexes a panel that ends up on the inside edge of the leg. The robot is solid and blocky. The thing that really bothers me about Ratchet is all the exposed screws in robot mode (three on each shoulder, some on the chest and I think some on the legs). This is due to the inside-put transformation.

I've now played with Leader Prime, Voyager Ironhide, Starscream and Ratchet. Prime is good and Ironhide is great. Ratchet is OK. Starscream is poor. None have ball jointed heads and I think that Prime is the only one with ball jointed ankles. I've thought about getting Jazz but am afraid I'd be disappointed so I'll probably just pass. I think now I'll just wait on the 08 BB.

So far, I have Ratchet, Ironhide, Robovision Prime (Target exclusive), Blackout, Bonecrusher, Brawl, Jazz, and Swindle. Out of these, Jazz is the biggest disappointment.

His alt mode looks decent, although there was a scratch in the right brake light paint on mine, and the glittery blue paint used on the headlights/running lights looks cheesy. The windshield and side windows are all transparent dark blue, with seat and steering wheel details molded into the plate that sits flush with the bottom of the windows. The back of the car has round indents under the brake lights, which I assume are the turn signals on the real car. These are not painted on mine. There's also some kibble hanging off the bottom behind the rear wheels, which are molded in black and intended to look like the wheel with a mechanical support in robot mode.

The sniper weapon is pretty large for this figure, and the barrel telescopes out at two points , making it approx 5" long, and about 2 3/4" when collapsed. It clips to the spoiler in alt mode, and attaches to a mount on either forearm(under fender pieces)

Robot mode: The head attaches to the only ball joint on this figure. The visor is blue lightpiping. It attaches to the main chest piece containing the automorph feature. Automorph is activated when the car roof section rotates flush with the robot's back pushing the head up into position and extending the grille about a millimeter. The rear deck of the car swings up to rest against the car roof and the spoiler swivels back and lies against the windshield. The legs, which form the aft section of the car, are beefy, as the knees extend out of the thighs. Some attention was paid to give the knees a movie look; viewed from the front, the lower half forms a "u",and the top half is simply a clevice that sits between with a screw forming the hinge. There is a little clearance between the knee clevice and the "u" portion allowing one to see through the knee. The lower leg can rotate 360 degrees below the knee. The feet rotate down slightly past level, so the toes can point down at a slight angle. The heel just rotates 180 degrees out of the foot. The black wheel detail pieces I mentioned as kibble attach to the feet and swivel at the ankle. The hips swivel out and rotate forward and back. The car doors are attached to the thighs; they do not move, and tend to restrict knee rotation. The lower legs are bulky, with large knee guards and a fair amount of detail on the sides. The arms attach to the chestpiece by a link hinged at the chestpiece and at the shoulder. It moves up and down laterally at both points. The upper arm is joined to the link by a pin that attaches the front wheel and arm assembly, allowing the arm to rotate fore and aft. A portion of the fender that sits behind the front wheelwell folds up and over to rest against the tire in robot mode. The elbow is simply another two-point hinge link which attaches to the upper fender, and has so little clearance that the arm stays bent at a nearly 90 degree angle all the time. The hood panels are attached by another link and just rotate under the fender to form the forearm. The hand nub is hinged under the hood panel and just rotates 180 degrees into place. From the side, it looks like a half a hood dangling beneath a fender...terrible. The hood to fender link does have two indents to try and snug the hood panel closer to the bottom of the fender, but it still looks bad, and you can see right through his forearm. Overall the arms are not very poseable, and it seems like little thought was put into designing them with more current standards of articulation in mind, especially for one of the main characters. Swindle is a game fig, and his design is amazing overall, his too-short neck being the only drawback.

This is my first-ever toy review, and I hope it's understandable with a lack of pics(don't own a camera). On a scale 1-10, I give it a 5 for the nice alt mode and for details on the robot. Articulation and crappy design elements, as well as a too-big-to-hide weapon kill it for me. Worst movie toy I own so far. Hope this helps.

Cheers- M'Kyuun

Edited by M'Kyuun

Well I got Leaderclass prime........my pal Peter at TFCog kept tormenting me on how fun the toy is and keeps using his lil quote "And he's got a big cannon up his ass!" (you would have to hear the toy review to get the joke really)

So yeah, he kept tormenting me and at the time I was thinking "Crap...I don't have alot of money to play with for this thing, and I really wanan get him and megs" but he told me Megatron was pretty much a piece of chunky worthless plastic.

So, I went to target, picked up Prime, then I went to Gamestop, found the prime DS lite skin, got that, came home, put the skin on and that looks GREAT with a black DS, I mean freaking perfect.

Then I played with Leaderclass Prime for a good hour.

The instructions blow, they don't tell you to line up the arms to the shoulders at all.....so you gotta play around and figure it out.

The only actual automorph gimick is the head and the cannon....but really I'm surprised how well this thing looks and the colors don't bug me at all, I'm very use to prime with flames.

Well I got Leaderclass prime........my pal Peter at TFCog kept tormenting me on how fun the toy is and keeps using his lil quote "And he's got a big cannon up his ass!" (you would have to hear the toy review to get the joke really)

So yeah, he kept tormenting me and at the time I was thinking "Crap...I don't have alot of money to play with for this thing, and I really wanan get him and megs" but he told me Megatron was pretty much a piece of chunky worthless plastic.

So, I went to target, picked up Prime, then I went to Gamestop, found the prime DS lite skin, got that, came home, put the skin on and that looks GREAT with a black DS, I mean freaking perfect.

Then I played with Leaderclass Prime for a good hour.

The instructions blow, they don't tell you to line up the arms to the shoulders at all.....so you gotta play around and figure it out.

The only actual automorph gimick is the head and the cannon....but really I'm surprised how well this thing looks and the colors don't bug me at all, I'm very use to prime with flames.

THe feet also have automorphing tech.

Okay, for anyone that has a movie megatron interesting QC error. It's very fixable, but its annoying that you have to do this slight change in the 1st place. Anyone who has one has probably noticed that it looks like the flail arm should launch, and that the arm that morphs into his cannon arm is oddly spring loaded meaning you have to hold it down to keep it in place. It seems that Hasbro put the spring in the wrong arm. Crack those arms open, change which spring the arm is in, and voila, the gimmicks make alot more sense.

I got the Desert Attack 2 pack at TRU today. Its Voyager Blackout and Deluxe Scorpnok. Pretty cool. Blackout is kinda small though. Ironhide Voyager is much taller.

Okay, for anyone that has a movie megatron interesting QC error. It's very fixable, but its annoying that you have to do this slight change in the 1st place. Anyone who has one has probably noticed that it looks like the flail arm should launch, and that the arm that morphs into his cannon arm is oddly spring loaded meaning you have to hold it down to keep it in place. It seems that Hasbro put the spring in the wrong arm. Crack those arms open, change which spring the arm is in, and voila, the gimmicks make alot more sense.

Wait but can the fusion cannon on the left arm still open after that?

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Just when you thought you had the most ultimate Optimus Prime short that somewhat silly-looking, giant statue in China...

$4000, 6.5' Tall Optimus Prime

Too bad he's not transformable (BBTS's pic looks like a scaled up Masterpiece, for good or bad)... that would rock... even if he'd probably kill you by falling on you in the process. :D

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

Can you give us a tutorial in how to do this? Like is it easy to do?

Really, it's very easy. Just unscrew the transforming gun arm and remove the spring. Put the mechanism back the way you found it. Unscrew the other arm, insert the spring, screw back togeather, and voila. I suppose I can try and take a few pictures and make a tutorial, but really it's a very easy process. If you've taken apart spring loaded mechanisms before you should have no trouble.

Edited by GobotFool

Good review on jazz. Lucky I skipped and got wreckage instead.

I would have liked a movie robot Starscream similar to a Battroid design of a gray YF-21.

yeah that would be cool. Make him sleek and more delicate instead of chunky though. Being a delicate jet, Starscream in g1 isn't as "tough" as other decepticons and would rather fight in more indirect and cowardly ways. He should be more brainy than ballsy. And the annoying high pitched voice is so part of the character - perhaps he screams like that because of the lack of balls and the speed he flies or something? :D I have nothing against the actual gorllia shape of the movie SS ( I like it) just that I thnk it is a bit out of character to the g1 TF we all remember.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Good review on jazz. Lucky I skipped and got wreckage instead.

yeah that would be cool. Make him sleek and more delicate instead of chunky though. Being a delicate jet, Starscream in g1 isn't as "tough" as other decepticons and would rather fight in more indirect and cowardly ways. He should be more brainy than ballsy. And the annoying high pitched voice is so part of the character - perhaps he screams like that because of the lack of balls and the speed he flies or something? :D I have nothing against the actual gorllia shape of the movie SS ( I like it) just that I thnk it is a bit out of character to the g1 TF we all remember.

This movie isn't G1 though, and the characters aren't mean to be the same way they were. Sure the core "essence" of the characters is present, but they aren't supposed to be exactly like their G1 predecessors. This movie is an all new continuity, a story in itself. Its exactly like what Marvel did with their Ultimates books, make them outside regular continuity, and into their own. Its a movie that has a story which can be followed by new fans or old. In other words, a viewer could go into the theater and watch the movie without having to read the entire backstory beforehand to catch up.

Its just a new incarnation of transformers, just like the armadaverse cartoons were new incarnations and not g1, only this is live action.

With that said, judging by the comic adaptation, Starscream's character is very similar in general to his g1 ancestor. He basically calls the shots in Megatron's absence. Not really a spoiler, given that this is what he did in g1 too, so this was to be expected.

Also Starscream wasn't delicate in the cartoon. Nor too cowardly. Remember this is the same guy in the 86 movie who jumped into a ship of autobots and fired, before megatron told him to hold him in gun mode and fire. Also he survived all up till Galvatron killed him at his coronation. Not to mention he was the strongest of his brother seekers. Then even his spark came out of nowhere and took over Waspinator in Beast Wars.

Yeah, I'm not enthused with the fan ideal of Starscream being a spineless coward.

In fact, the quite popular Unicron Trilogy Starscream (in the variously changed Japanese rebooting of his personality), he is quite powerful, a usually a match for Megatron and Prime. In Cybertron, he has G1 Starscream's guile, treachery and ambition couple with great fighting skill and strength to back up his brains.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I know alot of people here are not beast war fans, but look what happened when BW's dramatically changed the franchise. It was awsome. Tformers has been through so many different incarnations that I see the movie as just one more continuity being added to the franchise. Most other comic heros have several different on going continuities, why not transformers? I'm hoping that the movie will cause enough of a surge in the popularity of transformers so that more people will start reading the comics and revisiting the old cartoons, giving hasbro and takara more reason to make toys of every single obscure transformer under the sun. :) Bring on Jihaxus!

I gotta ask, has anyone ever read the bio for Starscream that was in that book that dreamwave released a few years back. It gave SS a int of 4. Sheesh, and it gave skywarp an int of 10! I was like, WTF!

Edited by GobotFool