Battlestar Galactica Discussion

"All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again."

Yup

Batlestartrix wait till Starbuck starts bending Vipers and cubits with her mind, and Tigh turns into Alcoholic Agent Smith.

if it's predestined, the odds are not astronomical. There are no odds. it's GOING to happen. Thus, predestined.

Ok, let's put it this way.

The original Star Wars trilogy took place in a galaxy far far away.

The new Star Wars trilogy established that there's only about two dozen people in a galaxy.

See the problem I'm having? :rolleyes:

Ok, let's put it this way.

The original Star Wars trilogy took place in a galaxy far far away.

The new Star Wars trilogy established that there's only about two dozen people in a galaxy.

See the problem I'm having? :rolleyes:

No. Actually, you've totally lost me.

Yup

Batlestartrix

I guess you could call it that if The Matrix was based on completely new and unique concepts. Its just a rehash of stories we've seen done over dozens of times, while directly ripping off a few others.

In my opinion, at the core of BSG is the question of "what is humanity", which is, in contemporary sci-fi terms, more directly related to Blade Runner, which Moore cites as an influence in the series.

No. Actually, you've totally lost me.

The universe shrank exponentially in order to accomodate these unbelievable coincidences. Hey, that may be predestined or happened before and happened again. Regardless, the universe WAS large, and now it's incestual and teeny tiny. My awe of said universe shrank in exact proportion, and that's my problem.

I'm really hoping the writers pull this off, transferable software AI non-fixed body cylons would help here, but I'm a little wary. :(

The universe shrank exponentially in order to accomodate these unbelievable coincidences. Hey, that may be predestined or happened before and happened again. Regardless, the universe WAS large, and now it's incestual and teeny tiny. My awe of said universe shrank in exact proportion, and that's my problem.

I'm really hoping the writers pull this off, transferable software AI non-fixed body cylons would help here, but I'm a little wary. :(

I didn't see that in Star Wars (if anything I feel that Lucas tried to incorporate too many locales and too many characters in the prequels, as opposed to what we saw in the OT). And with what we've been given with BSG, and what we can make educated guesses about, you've still lost me. It would be like putting a DVD in of Fight Club, watching it more than once, and expecting "Jack" to not be Tyler Durden in further viewings.

BSG is pre-determined, pre-destined; it has happened before and will happen again.

I didn't see that in Star Wars (if anything I feel that Lucas tried to incorporate too many locales and too many characters in the prequels, as opposed to what we saw in the OT). And with what we've been given with BSG, and what we can make educated guesses about, you've still lost me. It would be like putting a DVD in of Fight Club, watching it more than once, and expecting "Jack" to not be Tyler Durden in further viewings.

BSG is pre-determined, pre-destined; it has happened before and will happen again.

Chewbacca and Yoda know each other on a first name basis, among many MANY other unbelievable coincidences. I read once(some author who's name eludes me was giving advice on storytelling) that in order to have a good story you're only allowed one unbelievable event or absurd coincidence, any more and you're straining the credibility of the world you're trying to create. 1 in one billion I can accept and not further question the story, but doing that not only 5 times but simultaneously as well? My internal logic mechanism has a problem with that. My worry is that BSG *appears* to be going in the direction that Star Wars unfortunately went in.

You're saying it's predestined. I get that. I'm saying it doesn't matter if it is or not because the character links and history to make this revelation true are nonexistent to weak at best when considering the odds of survival and the scope of the initial genocide. I feel I made my point. This is the way *I* feel about it, and arguing predestination against my point that I think this style of predestination is poor storytelling is moot. We're going to have to agree to disagree. :)

I'm really hoping the writers pull this out and prove my worry wrong anyway so this silly internet debate about a sci-fi show we both have affection for is rendered completely pointless. B))

Chewbacca and Yoda know each other on a first name basis, among many MANY other unbelievable coincidences.

Now that is something totally different. That was Lucas pandering to the fans. It starts with the Fett family in Clones and went all over the place from there.

What is going on in BSG is much different. Its clear you are totally missing what is going on with the series. You keep bringing up probability and chance, and neither of them have anything to do with what is happening. They are all part of a finely orchestrated play, and they just don't know it yet.

Its clear you are totally missing what is going on with the series. You keep bringing up probability and chance, and neither of them have anything to do with what is happening. They are all part of a finely orchestrated play, and they just don't know it yet.

And again, *I* *get* *it*. I *totally* understand what you were saying from the get go and what the writers may be haphazzardly implying. I just think that it's *totally* stupid.

Alright, that's the last post on the subject. I promise! :D

You know, I never had much interest in watching this new series, but the current discussion is finally making me think of taking a look.

If I have this straight, Cylons are no longer machines, by bio-engineered beings chasing after the Galactica fleet, who are also bio-engineered and don't know it, and are looking for the lost 13th colony (aka Earth) who are the last remnants of the original beings. And for some reason all that's currently happenings is the fullfillment of a biologically pre-set turn of events layed out for some reason by an earlier ancestor of some sort... Slightly Gall Force-ey.

Or perhaps Votoms would be a better comparison with its use of the PS's to help awaken the true Overman?

Edited by Keith

You know, I never had much interest in watching this new series, but the current discussion is finally making me think of taking a look.

If I have this straight, Cylons are no longer machines, by bio-engineered beings chasing after the Galactica fleet, who are also bio-engineered and don't know it, and are looking for the lost 13th colony (aka Earth) who are the last remnants of the original beings. And for some reason all that's currently happenings is the fullfillment of a biologically pre-set turn of events layed out for some reason by an earlier ancestor of some sort... Slightly Gall Force-ey.

The Cylons WERE machines, and they "evolved" into bio-engineered beings. As far as who the humans are and what waits for them on Earth, we can't really say for sure, but it is looking something like that. There is something very Xenogears-ish about it, with a bit of Blade Runner thrown in. I haven't seen Gall Force in probably 17 years, but if I recall correctly, that may be about right.

I get the feeling thousands of years down the line, the Cylons will have lost all sense of themselves as anything but human, and to them, in their stories and history, Galactica will be the 13th tribe heading off into space.

C'mon Keith, I gave M7 a shot, I think it's only fair that the new and "better" BSG receives a chance as well-I guarantee that you won't be disappointed...

I get the feeling thousands of years down the line, the Cylons will have lost all sense of themselves as anything but human, and to them, in their stories and history, Galactica will be the 13th tribe heading off into space.

In an nut shell that is exactly it.

maybe it will wrap in on itself and the "humans" were bio engineered humans that were thrown off earth by the naturals?

haha, it just goes around and around.

Was that before or after they started nuking the PLANTS :)

• 4 weeks later...

A rather sad update, but I guess all good things must come to an end:

Breaking News: EDWARD JAMES OLMOS SAYS THIS IS THE LAST SEASON FOR 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA'

The man behind Adama gives us hints of what to expect and tells about the 2-hour movie as well

By SEAN ELLIOTT, Senior Editor

Published 5/10/2007

THE SKINNY: iF MAGAZINE was on the red carpet covering the Saturn Awards at the Universal Hilton this evening and talked to several interesting people from all walks of Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror. One of the most interesting things was our conversation with Edward James Olmos, Admiral Adama, from the SCI FI Channel series BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Olmos told iF that this is the final season for the show and what fans can expect to see in the two-hour movie filling the gap between seasons three and four.

iF MAGAZINE: What’s coming up for season four?

EDWARD JAMES OLMOS: It’s fantastic. I think they’re going to discover some very important issues about what the fan base really, really wants to see and what’s to understand about this show. We’re heading into the final season. This is the final season as we speak. All of us are very saddened by that, but we always knew there was going to be a conclusion and we would find Earth, so we will be finding Earth this season. I wish it would [keep going]. I could do 10 years like this season. I think that this is some of finest usages of television that I have been a part of in my life. Bar none. I’ve been doing this for 42 years. I’ve done some really good work in television and motion pictures but there really is nothing like this show. I can honestly tell you that this is one of the finest dramatic pieces work on humanity I’ve ever seen in my life.

iF: Are you wrapped on the series then, yourself?

OLMOS: No, I was just getting started. [Laughs] You’ll see, this year we’ll eat them up and spit them out and they’re going to wish they would’ve gone on for 10 years.

iF: So anything special we can expect for the new season?

OLMOS: You can expect lots of energy. The closer we get to the discovery and the understanding of what this show is really about, the more intense it’s going to get and the more difficult it is to watch.

iF: What can you tell us about the 2 hour movie in between seasons?

OLMOS: My involvement is minimal; it’s more of a situation about what happened to the Pegasus prior to getting to us. It’s a very powerful piece of work. The writing is…these kids are doing very well! Ron Moore, I don’t think he’ll ever have this opportunity again.

iF: Will Adama and Roslin heat up for this final season then?

OLMOS: Probably! [Laughs] We’re heating it up. We’ve been pretty intimate without getting intimate. It’s heating towards that. My instincts are that it’s going to do a tremendous about face.

iF: How did you react to the resurrection of Starbuck?

OLMOS: That’s interesting. I’d like to know what that means myself, because we thought she was gone. We were all led to believe that. We weren’t even around when they filmed that shot. We saw it at the end like everybody else. The best part of working with a really understanding group of people so they kept it.

As I said before BSG is one of those shows that I can watch forever. I shouldnt take this little amount of time to find earth. I would think it would take a couple of generations. Another 10 years would be ideal. Shows like this and Heroes are so rich they should be left alone to grow. I can't believe shows like Stargate SG-1 and ER have lasted this long. Plus where am I gonna get my fix for a good space combat sequence now and then?

I'm not against shows that should end early. Like LOST another show that I enjoy should have a short lifespan... or else I'm going to start to think that that island is really a continent.

Shame if all this was true. But it'll take up less space in my DVD shelf... that's the only bright side I can see about this.

I was actually hoping for 5 seasons, but... oh well. I'm sure it will go out with a bang. On the flip side, some shows definitely go stale after so many seasons. I don't think Galactica is one of them, but personally I could see the show going about 7-8 seasons max.

They could easily make it to where they find Earth at the end of the 4th season, then start to resolve all the issues finding it would cause in the 5th. It seems that shows like this can't avoid getting retarded after 5 yrs, so it's better to end early than later.

I don't see why it should take very long to find Earth, they got a good general direction througout and they got a fact ship. Kinda reminds me of Homeworld.

They could easily make it to where they find Earth at the end of the 4th season, then start to resolve all the issues finding it would cause in the 5th. It seems that shows like this can't avoid getting retarded after 5 yrs, so it's better to end early than later.

I don't see why it should take very long to find Earth, they got a good general direction througout and they got a fact ship. Kinda reminds me of Homeworld.

I don't frackin' know how long it would take capricans or whatever to find earth... I'm not talking about logistics... I'm saying as a drama and as the only show that has decent space battles, I would want it to go on. I'm not a big TV Sci-Fi fan... I'm not into Star Trek or Babylon 5. I even thought Space Above and Beyond was a piece of crap series. So when something like this comes along I would wish for it to go on a while longer.

After reading that article from SciFi/AICN... I'm happy to know that Edward James Olmos is either on crack or loves to play games with the audience... I'm hoping it's the latter. The only thing about Star Trek that I enjoy is the fact that Shatner messes with his fans.

I even thought Space Above and Beyond was a piece of crap series. So when something like this comes along I would wish for it to go on a while longer.

Thats because it was.. I saw everyone of the episodes and just could help thinking great idea good sets and o.k effects just done dumb, should have made it more like Starship troopers (the film not the series) then it would have been funny.

BSG ending is enevitable sooner or later. Better to go out with a bang rather than go stale like B5 and StarTrek did. On the flip side we have more time for reality TV and crap Ausie soap operas. I am so not paying my T.V licence anymore. Just download what you want to see from the various TV channels web sites.

Hopefully something good will come along to fill its shoes.

Edited by big F

More news:

Flight of Battlestar Continues

Battlestar Galactica's search for Earth continues to be an open-ended adventure, executive producer David Eick said.

Contrary to comments by Edward James Olmos (Adm. Adama) at the Saturn Awards on May10, no end has been announced for the award-winning show. Battlestar Galactica is preparing to film its fourth season, one that will include 22 episodes, rather than the previously announced 13.

"For those of you who have been paying attention over the years, this is not the first time Eddie has made an announcement about the possibility of the show's end," chuckled Eick. "I promise you that when [executiuve producer] Ron [Moore] and I make a decision about Galactica's future, we'll let you know."