Yamato's Fragile?

GobotFool

Well ok here it goes, got the VF-11B (first edition) broke both hips. :mellow:

Got the YF-21 (Fast Pack) broke little thing that covers the feets in fighter mode. :huh:

Got several 1/60 VF-1's, one of them had a feet explode when it fell to the ground :ph34r:

Got a 1/48 VF-1S, broke backpack due to the fast pack <_<

Didn't break the 1/72 VF-19A, barely touched the thing :huh:

Didn't break the Q-Rau, but that thing spent more time in the box than out :lol:

Broke my Escaflowne's leg, but no surprises there :p

Didn't get any other Yamato's mainly cuz of fear to spend more money i can't afford to spend on something that i'll break, since i broke 5 ouf of 8 :wacko:

Had an old 1/72 VF-11 hip brake, completely on its own. :( But wife fixed that with super glue. :)

Also recently had a bp8 break on a 1/48 VF-1J Miria, while trying to put the fast packs back on after moving. :( I was trying to be reaaaally careful but it snapped anyway. Oh well, now Miria pilots a battle-damaged valk. I'll blame it on Gamlin. :p:lol:

addition: woops, forgot, also got a stress marked, cracked VF-0A shoulder. But it's holding together! :)

Edited by Sumdumgai

for sure, it would still be in a few pieces though.

Only his arms though. Maybe his head. His neck seems rather flimsy. Either way, I have nightmares of my shelf with my Yammies and Optimus tipping over. I can see Optimus surviving relatively unscathed, but I think my CF would be just that... :( (don't have my super stealth yet)

Only his arms though. Maybe his head. His neck seems rather flimsy. Either way, I have nightmares of my shelf with my Yammies and Optimus tipping over. I can see Optimus surviving relatively unscathed, but I think my CF would be just that... :( (don't have my super stealth yet)

nah, good chance prime will snap at the waist, the problem is his weight and that his top and bottom are heavy but his waist is just plastic. His head will probably just pop off on the ball joint.

The 1/48s are relatively light and are more likely to survive. I can say this with certainty because I've had more than a few 1/48s survive 4ft + falls.

My 1/48s have taken tumbles. I had a head laswer break on my low viz 2, ands thats about it. i have this weird plastic thing happening on the hip of the max j, whihc Ill try n get pics of sometime. its like the plastic is almost seeping out the hip socket.

Despite that Ive transformed it a few times and it seems fine.

Out of around 25 Yamato toys owned, I've only had one unexpected breakage (1/72 VF-11 Hip). I did break a 1/60 VF-1 backpack hinge, but that was completely my own fault. Also had a landing gear strut break on a 1/48 CF, after a short flight across the room and a high-velocity crash onto the ground, which was also completely my own fault. Oddly enough, no problems here with either my Garland, or either of the VF0s I've bought. I don't really handle my toys constantly, but they're not exactly bench-warmers either.

I'm more concern about my valks yellowing over time than I am with breakage

its pretty unavoidable cause almost all white plastics tend to yellow over time no matter what you do.

of course i've taken every precaution known to man to prevent this, but who knows if it really works or not? i'll let you know in about 20 years. :p

its pretty unavoidable cause almost all white plastics tend to yellow over time no matter what you do.

of course i've taken every precaution known to man to prevent this, but who knows if it really works or not? i'll let you know in about 20 years. :p

There was a thread about yellowing of plastic on Valks some time ago. Isn't it mainly caused by UV? My Valks are in a room with closed blinds most of the time. Hope it helps fight the yellowing a bit. :mellow:

I own two Yamato 1/48 scale valkyries. A VF-1S and a VF-1J. I also owned the 1/48 VF-1A and the 1/60 VF-1S until I sold them.

I've never had a part break or anything else go wrong on any of the Yammies. They've been handled, posed into numerous positions and transformed a dozen times each. There was even a time when my 1/48 VF-1S fell about a meter from a custom made stand and landed on it's wing. Thing is as sturdy and undamaged as it was when it came out of the package.

They are not flimsy models and they hold themselves together quite well. They are indeed toys. HOWEVER, they are not childrens toys and won't stand up to a beating like most 13-and-under products.

i stand corrected, ity is indeed rubber seeping out the hip joint. is this likely to be a big concern?

Yes. the rubber will fatten the hip block and break the hip/intake socket everytime you pose the legs. You may have not notice it at a glance but look closer - the first sign are hairline cracks appearing around the socket mouth.

Seems like Yamato's are all pretty poor.

I just bought a YF-21 and had a piece of metal from the body flake off in my hand. Looked like there was an air pocket as it left a gaping hole underneath.

Anybody else ever faced this problem? Talk about my bad luck :(

To think it's the first Yamato I ever forked out for too.

Oh please don't misunderstand the post or let that experience be a deciding factor, yamatos products are pretty good, yes there are issues but for the most part despite what people complain about no one is willing to give up their stuff, and most of them will keep buying their products (like me). You should go for the 1/48 and 1/60th line and see for yourself

Oh please don't misunderstand the post or let that experience be a deciding factor, yamatos products are pretty good, yes there are issues but for the most part despite what people complain about no one is willing to give up their stuff, and most of them will keep buying their products (like me). You should go for the 1/48 and 1/60th line and see for yourself

ditto. all the b1tchn and moaning, yet no one selling. :rolleyes:

Seems like Yamato's are all pretty poor.

go buy a toynami valk and you'll see how quickly you change your mind. :D

i have at one point in my life had 5 yamato valks and have had various problems with most of them, but overall i would say i'm pretty happy with yamato. i don't collect any other transforming toys so i have nothing to compare them to.

1 1/72 yf-19 1st ed. the tab b broke after the 3rd transformation. after that, a 4 year old kid snuck into my room and broke the vertical fin off, but that was 100% my parents' fault for allowing that kid into my room.

1 1/60 dyrl max vf-1a. gave me no problems

1 1/48 max super vf-1j. the rubber seal started leaking out after the 3rd or 4th transformation. it had almost completely leaked out after several more transformations but there were no signs that the hip socket was about to break. it just made the joint reeeeally loose. i was generally happy with it before it got stolen!

1 1/48 roy vf-1s. no issues, although it came in the box with one of the panels from the wings completely fallen off. didn't transform this one as much as the max but the rubber didn't seep out of the hips at all. this one also was stolen.

1 1/60 yf-19. there are slight stress marks on the grey plastic on the bottom of the nose, but i loosened the screws and have been transforming it a lot. i chipped the black paint behind the cockpit ever so slightly on one of the transformations but it is barely visible. took off the infamous piece of tape behind the head and it didn't take any paint off with it. so really it hasn't given me any problems so far, although i have the crooked gunpod in fighter mode just like everyone else.

so yeah none of the vf-1s in both scales gave me too many issues so i would definitely recommend them, and i've been happy with the 19 so far, unlike some other members here.

I've never really had any of my 3 1/48s leak hip gasket, but maybe I'm just lucky. The way I see it is, noone else has been able to make the Macross designs work like Yamato had, and they're still not a humungous company like some others, so a few usually minor issues don't peeve me at all. Yamatos are what we've got, so why keep arguing with them... and yeah, if you don't like them so much, go buy a Toynami valk... and still, lots of complaints, not alot of people unloading their Yamatos cheap in a bitter rage...

I've never really had any of my 3 1/48s leak hip gasket, but maybe I'm just lucky. The way I see it is, noone else has been able to make the Macross designs work like Yamato had, and they're still not a humungous company like some others, so a few usually minor issues don't peeve me at all. Yamatos are what we've got, so why keep arguing with them... and yeah, if you don't like them so much, go buy a Toynami valk... and still, lots of complaints, not alot of people unloading their Yamatos cheap in a bitter rage...

Alright, I gotta say something: just because you've had no problems yourself doesn't mean that you can run around and tell people who have had problems to shut up.

There's absolutely no reason anyone should have to pay these prices for a shoddy toy. None.

Also, I've noticed that you are only 17. I don't know where you're getting the money to buy all of these things at that age... if it is your money then more power to you. However, if your parents are chipping in and paying for these then I can see how it is clouding your judgement regarding the recent issues with Yamato's products.

Now, I'm sorry if I sound like a total arse here. It's just that I've seen you try and downplay other people's problems in the YF-19 thread on more than one occasion.

Let's keep it cordial here folks. Prometheum's logic is flawed though, after dropping $200 on a toy that is flawed would you rather keep it and be irked at it or sell it for a big loss and realize you just threw money away? You'd probably grumble and keep it. Does that mean you have no right to complain? No, you have every right to complain. People would only rush to sell their product if there was another company with a better product looming or if they had enough money they really didn't mind losing $XX to basically have rented a toy for a month, realized it sucked, and then moved on.

its not so much downplay(it can be preceive it that way, though its hard to determine ones tone over the internet), its just people overreacting. these are toys afterall, overpriced yes, but its not the end of the world and people don't need to make mountains out of molehills.

now granted some people can have issues that others are lucky to avoid but the fact is, nothing in life is perfect and everything is a compromise.

the sooner people can accept this, the easier it will be to deal with things that aren't to your liking. i.e. crooked gunpod, landing gear, tight fuselage, rubber seepage etc.

the question to ask yourself is, is there single company out there that makes transformable toys that are anywhere near the level of yamato? and please don't bring up gundam, gundam toys is teh ghey.

Yes, and their name is Takara.

Just because Yamato makes the best transforming Macross toys at the moment doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held accountable for bad workmanship.

Perhaps I just expect too much for my money. Valkyries, despite being the most expensive "toy" (personally I'd call these things collectibles) that I collect, end up being the poorest quality.

Edited by meh_cd

Yes, and their name is Takara.

takara? you mean the company that makes those ugly ass hinges-visible-everywhere transformers? i think they're a bit far from yamato. the only thing up to par they put out is the MP prime and its varients, the rest of there stuff sucks my left knut.....thats just my opinion of course.

Just because Yamato makes the best transforming Macross toys at the moment doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held accountable for bad workmanship.

this is what i meant about mountains out of molehills accountable? come on dude, its a toy company not a car company that left out the seatbelts.

Perhaps I just expect too much for my money. Valkyries, despite being the most expensive "toy" (personally I'd call these things collectibles) that I collect, end up being the poorest quality.

if thats the case, please sell your poorest quality toys to me. :D

BTW, sorry if my posts comes across in a bad way, its not my intention. :)

I'll sell you my poorest quality toys if you want to pay what I did for them. :p (note: I don't own the YF-19 or the VF-0S, although I plan on purchasing the latter eventually)

And I'm not trying to be negative either. I'm just stating my opinion.

And yes, when I said Takara I meant the MP series. They are the only products that Takara makes that are in the same price range as Yamato's VFs.

The only thing so far that has broken is the VF-11B. Both legs eventually broke (first version). So far, my Garland has been okay, though a small panel on the dashboard that held a joint in place fell off, but that was easily repaired.

I'm not too picky, but when I spend $100-$200 it had better be damn near perfect for a toy.

Transformers are not meant to be the same level as a Valk. They're neither designed, nor intended for the same market. And despite that i think some of their recent mainstream works has been exceptional. And as people mentioned; Alternators and masterpiece have both been very well designed.

i totally understand people frustrations here. U ask for something and u pay for it and then u dont get it. believe me I was devestated to find my zeros had damage, partly because i think they're a STUNNING toy.

and yet ihave a lot of Yamato. I have never had a serious issue with a 1/48/ SOme seaping and Maxes leg, but itsbeen like that for a very long time and deosnt seem to be causing me any problems. My 19 is fine. my Q Rau is fine. All my 1/60's were fine. I accept there have been some probelms, especially with the 0's and 19. but dont go around saying that everything they do will suck, because thats not correct.